New member, thinking about a 3.2 CL - S as a Daily Driver..Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member, thinking about a 3.2 CL - S as a Daily Driver..Questions

I currently have a 97 GSR that I'm DD'ing, (05 GTO during nice days), but I'm just having one problem after the next and just want to get rid of it once I fix my latest problem.

I've been browsing different cars as a replacement for my integra, came across (all under 10k) 99+ BMW's, 03+ A4's, latest generation Preludes, and even a couple 00 S2k's. When I was browsing, I ended up finding a 2 door Acura, with 260HP, beautiful looking interior, and what appeared to have decent gas mileage? Sounds like a perfect DD to me! I have a few questions for you guys, if you don't mind.

1) For those who DD their CL-S, how is it? Are the seats as comfy as they look/how's the ride/cabin noise?
2) What common issues should I look out for, when looking at used CL-S's?
3) Do the 01 CL-S come with stock HID's? Can I bake/paint the housing of the 01 headlights to make them look like 03's?
4) How's your guys' fuel economy? I would usually get 27-28 with 90% freeway in my integra..can I see similar numbers with the CL-S?
5) What's the demographic of these cars? Is it similar to the boy racers you often see with integras/RSX/preludes/WRX/etc?
6) Suppose I find one without a wing, how much would it be to pick up a used wing, and how rare are they?
7) How's the sound system? I hear the bass is fairly weak, what did you guys do to fix this?
8) Difference between 3.5 CL-P and S just 35 HP and MPG?
9) Any regrets with buying this car?

Thanks again..
Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ls2goat
I currently have a 97 GSR that I'm DD'ing, (05 GTO during nice days), but I'm just having one problem after the next and just want to get rid of it once I fix my latest problem.

I've been browsing different cars as a replacement for my integra, came across (all under 10k) 99+ BMW's, 03+ A4's, latest generation Preludes, and even a couple 00 S2k's. When I was browsing, I ended up finding a 2 door Acura, with 260HP, beautiful looking interior, and what appeared to have decent gas mileage? Sounds like a perfect DD to me! I have a few questions for you guys, if you don't mind.

1) For those who DD their CL-S, how is it? Are the seats as comfy as they look/how's the ride/cabin noise?
3) Do the 01 CL-S come with stock HID's? Can I bake/paint the housing of the 01 headlights to make them look like 03's?
4) How's your guys' fuel economy? I would usually get 27-28 with 90% freeway in my integra..can I see similar numbers with the CL-S?
5) What's the demographic of these cars? Is it similar to the boy racers you often see with integras/RSX/preludes/WRX/etc?
6) Suppose I find one without a wing, how much would it be to pick up a used wing, and how rare are they?
7) How's the sound system? I hear the bass is fairly weak, what did you guys do to fix this?

Thanks again..
please read this:
http://www.geocities.com/gamesmgr/chod/acura/
and this forum
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/%2A%2A%2A-official-2nd-gen-cl-information-thread-%2A%2A%2A-480087/

are you going to modify the car if you buy it? if so, a lot of the things that a stock CL would be obviously aren't gonna apply to a modified car. that being the case, here's what i think:
1. lots of noise. acura corrected this with the 04TL and RL. seats are great, though, but i personally hate leather (hot in the summer, freezing in the winter). might not apply to you. but i've heard of people who own 04+ TL's that like our seats better. and they are actually better than the sister 99-03 TL's seats (better bolsters).
2. i hope you're looking at 6-speed CL's. the automatic tranny is prone to failure in many of honda's products of that era. warped front disks (cheap and too small for the weight of the car). broken seat heaters (the connecting wires will short out and die; the drivers seat is heated on the bottom and back, while the passenger is only heated on the bottom). i can't think of anything else right now. minor things at most, but the biggest being the automatic transmission.
3. yes, they have HID's. yes, you can bake the housing and paint the interior whatever colour you like (body match for the best look imo).
4. some guys were hitting 30+ with a 6-speed.
5. demographic is definitely lowering in age. last year, i saw only older people driving them. as the price goes down, kids can start 'affording' the CL and thus, you see a lot of people on this site now who.. let's just say they should've bought a civic.
6. wings are available on ebay from time to time (honda OEM) but you can find some replica's pretty often. this board likes the m3/m5 lip spoiler though. i think it gives a cleaner look to the rear.
7. i bought my car with upgraded front speakers. so i can't comment, but the bass is 'better' than i would've expected. PS. no highs, no lows, gotta be bose . bose sucks. you can upgrade your speakers, 6.5" in the front to (better) components, and 6x9" in the rear. some guys picked up the infinity basslink. it's a compact sub that fits in the trunk really easily.
8. i'll assume you mean 3.2 CL-P and CL-S. there's a faq with the specifics, but yes, the main differences are 35hp+, VSA system (instead of a crappy TCS), perforated seating surfaces, lumbar, stiffer seats, 17" wheels, whiteface gauges. that 35hp can be made up with parts under $500, but realistically, you might as well start with a better base anyway.
9. i fixed a lot with my car. leaky trunk, leaky footwells (maybe they still are), heated seats, pretty much anything and everything. i have probably spent over 100 hours on installs and $10,000 in modifications and maintenance (wheels, springs, struts, timing belt, headers, pulley, brakes, engine mounts, etc etc etc) and it's still not what i want.. personally i think i should've just went for a RWD like the G35. but that's just me. plus my 2nd and 3rd gears grind.

i realize you have a GTO for fun, but as a daily driver, you could probably find something more 'practical', perhaps a sedan (maxima/altima?). the auto CL is just a pain.

Last edited by rp_guy; 10-28-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 AM
White as night.

6 Speed.

Auto
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I have to disagree with rp_guy. There's always going to be a few cars like that, but it's not the norm.
Beside the auto trans, the CLS is very reliable, & a good DD.
If you really want 4 doors then get the TL. Same car + 2 doors.,
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
I have to disagree with rp_guy. There's always going to be a few cars like that, but it's not the norm.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea, I'm gonna have to disagree with alot of what rp_guy said. Yes, there are known issues (Auto trans and motor mounts), but I've had my CLS for over a year, put almost 20K on it (at 135K now), and still love it. It may be a bold and biased statement, but I personally think its one of the best cars that can be bought for under 10K.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered Abuser

me three...disagree with rp_guy

im on my 2nd cl-s...both 2001....the first one i sold because i didnt like black and i purchased for a bit more expensive from a dealer....the 2nd one i currntly own ...better pricing and lower milage....BOTH cars are great for DD.... i use mine to commute from and to work mainly.... i occasionally go other places with it.... my black cl-s i actually took to los angeles (300+ miles away from san francisco).... came back without a prob.... very smooth ride and comfortable.... i own a mercedes clk...and tell u the truth, the cl-s is way more comfortable IMO.... seat warmers for the winter, and gps navi built in(on some models)... btw, they were both automatics... i would only get a stick if i wanted to race that sucker to the ground...but my main purpose is for daily driving with a bit more power over other cars so i can speed up when i need to..... my old cl-s was running on its original transmission (115k).... this one i have now is on its 2nd (93k). But like i said, they run like champs....

if u wanna "rice" out a car, i dont think the cl's are the way to go.... if ur gonna do that u mite as well GET A CIVIC or prelude etc.....
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my CL-S as a DD. Decent gas mileage, comfortble, powerful, and luxurious. I have two 12" MTX subs hooked up to the stock head unit to make up for the lack of bass. If I were you I would invest in a CAI and headers to increase your MPG, I've been very satisfied with my CL-S as a DD.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,422 Likes on 4,953 Posts
Originally Posted by rp_guy
5. demographic is definitely lowering in age. last year, i saw only older people driving them. as the price goes down, kids can start 'affording' the CL and thus, you see a lot of people on this site now who.. let's just say they should've bought a civic.
What's that supposed to mean??

If your looking at CLs, get the 6 speed. No reason not to. You'd get the same gas mileage as your GSR (which honestly should have been in the 30s). I get abour 24-27 mixed highway, and in the city I get on it a bit.

The stereo in the car is rather weak. I upgraded the headunit to an AVIC-F90BT and just recently installed a sub. I will be upgrading to components sooner than later as the stock Bose units arent up to the task.

I went from a 94 Prelude VTEC (and an 88 Civic, rp_guy!) to this and can say its worlds better.

When buying a used car never make the mistake of buying a salvage. Theres no resale value in it.

The CLs don't have a 3.5l in them. You can upgrade the internals of the 3.2l to make it a 3.5 though.

If you found one without a wing, as long as it's black, the wing won't cost much. I'd trade trunks with you

The road noise isn't too bad. It will be better than your GSR. It's comparable with the 08 Accord Coupe. And the 6MT will keep up with one (till about 80-85mph).

I have absolutely no regrets buying this car so far. I've had it for 10 weeks now and have put about 10k miles on it. There are plenty of mods you can do, as long as you have the coin for it.

What sort of issues are you having with the GSR?

PS- rp_guy, I'm just messin with ya
Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
6th Gear

Is the Auto trans really that bad? How much will they run to fix/rebuild/replace, and what sort of problems will you see from the driver's seat (i.e. hesitating into gears)? Are they prone to "go" around a certain time, say...after 90k miles?

MPG vastly different between the 2 transmissions?

Only reason I'm looking for an auto is so my girl can drive it..she can't drive either one of my cars, especially my DD, and we carpool with it. Well..that and the average 01-02 CL-S costs less than an 03 in stick.

Thanks again for all the replies you guys, I tried searching for some of the info, but didn't really find what I was looking for in terms of the current situation/opinion on these cars.

Last edited by ls2goat; 10-28-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

what are you disagreeing with? i had a huge list of things.

but anyway, motor mounts are another thing that goes bad on this car. and yes, the transmission is just that bad. there's a whole separate forum dedicated just to the auto trans problem.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by ls2goat
Is the Auto trans really that bad? How much will they run to fix/rebuild/replace, and what sort of problems will you see from the driver's seat (i.e. hesitating into gears)? Are they prone to "go" around a certain time, say...after 90k miles?

MPG vastly different between the 2 transmissions?

Only reason I'm looking for an auto is so my girl can drive it..she can't drive either one of my cars, especially my DD, and we carpool with it. Well..that and the average 01-02 CL-S costs less than an 03 in stick.
mainly why i purchased an auto was because my fiancee drives it sometimes since we share cars.... im from san francisco where its home of the extra steep hills... i most definitely wouldnt recommend a stick..most people i know around here which get a bit older usually dont do sticks if ur looking for a daily driver.... like ive mentioned before, if ur ricing up ur cl then stick should be perfect.... transmission wise.... my first cl-s was still running strong at 115k, i got the car about 4 months at 102k..... i put quite a few miles on it in a couple months of time from driving on road trips.... now i have a new cl-s which i purchased was already on its second transmission frmo the previous owner for atleast 2 yrs now...its running strong still..no unusual jerking when swapping back and forth into diff gears...
Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
BUY ONE! wont regret it. nice size trunk, comfy backseat when you need it can fit real human adults, and yes interior is as comfy as it seems.

forget bout the auto tranny stuff. if you are only daily driving it AND buy a car that was taken care of, your tranny will be fine ESPECIALLY b/c you have your fun car already. respect a car and it will respect you.

i get average 27mpg in my CL-P with Comptech headers, CAI, and pullies with daily driving about 85% on highway.

car was built to last and be a fun luxurious daily driver. the wing is not hard to find at all. demographic is a great one, anyone can appreciate this car: younger love the power, potential, and fun, older like the practical luxury and long lasting engineering.

you would probably buy '03 lights if you really wanted them. i agree they look better...

to summarize ---> BUY ONE...

Last edited by '01White3.2CL; 10-28-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered Abuser

specially a white one .....
Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

what are you disagreeing with? i had a huge list of things.
All the problems you have had, many have not had, noises, leaks, bad gears, etc.
Also it is a very practical car.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered Abuser

Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

All the problems you have had, many have not had, noises, leaks, bad gears, etc.
Also it is a very practical car.
leaks, i agree, not many have had but a few have

bad gears, 2nd is going and it is usually the 1st to go in a manual tranny (i don't have *that* high mileage)

and i've heard that other people find the cabin noise is pretty terrible. all my dad's GM's are quieter at ANY speed.

there is no way that a coupe can be a 'practical' car. sedan = 2 more doors, and usually (not in the case of acura though) a folding rear seat. that is one of the biggest gripes about this car. but probably the best feature of this gen is the auto seats. that makes it slightly better.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Abuser

i thought sedans were 4 doors and coupes were 2?

everyone thats seen or sat in my cl said the back was really big and comfy.... most coupes have small back seats....cls have it nicer IMO.... not only auto seats , but the seat warmers are cool too for winter....

i always thought american cars are louder....maybe just me.... im use to sitting in mercedes/toyotas/hondas/acuras
Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
leaks, i agree, not many have had but a few have

bad gears, 2nd is going and it is usually the 1st to go in a manual tranny (i don't have *that* high mileage)

and i've heard that other people find the cabin noise is pretty terrible. all my dad's GM's are quieter at ANY speed.

there is no way that a coupe can be a 'practical' car. sedan = 2 more doors, and usually (not in the case of acura though) a folding rear seat. that is one of the biggest gripes about this car. but probably the best feature of this gen is the auto seats. that makes it slightly better.
Why don't you just get rid of your CL if you hate it so much! jeeze.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Originally Posted by gnuts
Why don't you just get rid of your CL if you hate it so much! jeeze.
hm. maybe cause the resale has gone to shit? maybe because i've invested 1/3 of the total purchase price to get it to where it is? why don't you keep your opinion on what i should do to yourself.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
hm. maybe cause the resale has gone to shit? maybe because i've invested 1/3 of the total purchase price to get it to where it is? why don't you keep your opinion on what i should do to yourself.
Someone's getting testy! You really go against the "canadian's are nice" stereotype.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
6th Gear

I'm not trying to start a flame war I do find rp_guy's advice VERY helpful, he mentioned some things that are definitely worth watching out for when looking into used CL's. For example, if I notice that an auto transmission is the least bit hesitant when test driving, I'll know to back out right away.

Originally Posted by lawsofpower48

specially a white one .....
White is definitely at the top of my list, I just wish they had black interior... Is silver and black the only exterior colors which sport a black interior?

And I'm also from the bay area too! An auto, despite the potential problems, would really help my commute, which is along 880 from Union City to SJ.

Here are my 2 cars as they sit right now:

Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in the city too. I commute daily from the richmond to dublin. Been able to get 33.5 mpg but average 31.5.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

I think the two interior choices (parchment and charcoal) were available with all exterior colors. White with black interior is fairly rare, but its out there...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IF you didnt buy a CL-S yet i will sell u mine for 6500..
155K BUT.......new tranny put in by open road acura at 99K and had the fluid flushed at 140K so my baby tranny is shifting smooth as silk..
2001 silver/ebony
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,349 Posts
I have an 01 I have put 10k on it since April and I love it.

Here is my car's thread which answers many of your questions:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...425&highlight=
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A great bang for ur buck! CL does have a tranny prob though. Replaced mine at 50K shifts like a dream now. If u want it as a DD go for it u really cant go wrong with the combo of power,luxury, and style.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 AM
6th Gear

Nice to know that white/black is out there..but I don't know the chances of me finding one.

StonedCL...if you weren't so far I'd be interested, but I'm out in CA..looking for local deals, not too soon anyway... still researching a bit more before, saving up a bit before I put the integra up for sale.

E30, nice interior set up you've got there! 2 NAV's...haha.

How are the perforated seats in the summer? The integra's seats (leather) aren't perf, and it was a nightmare to drive during hot days.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 AM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Dark tinted windows and a screen in the windshield definitely helps in the summer... Black leather is gonna get really hot whether its perforated or not lol

Some 6mt Ideas in Cali:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=184 (yes the wheels are ugly as shit)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=86
Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

The perforated seats do give some air flow in the seats. It's always hot in South FL. I've sat in un-perforated seats, & stick to them, & sweat. The CLS seats, that never happens.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Advanced

I own both a 2002 CL-S automatic and a 2003 CL-S 6MT and I can't complain about either. Yes they have issues, but what car doesn't. A good owner fixes these issues and enjoys what the car gives. Good power, good stlye, good MPG for the wieght and power of the car, nice luxes you won't find for the price and good overall quality. My 2002 auto is still on the original tranny with 75K miles and still going strong. Longevity also depends on how you drive your car. As a DD it would be wise to take car of it and drive smartly.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by disgruntlednut
Dark tinted windows and a screen in the windshield definitely helps in the summer... Black leather is gonna get really hot whether its perforated or not lol

Some 6mt Ideas in Cali:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=184 (yes the wheels are ugly as shit)

That shift knob isn't stock right? Looks like some pep boys ****.

I saw that one...very tempting, if it's still there once I'm ready to buy, I'll check it out...
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

something else: the audio controls on the steering wheel won't work, and the cruise possibly not might not either..
Old 10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Registered Abuser

ls2goat, yea white is hard.... i found blacks all over the craigslist ads.... and at the time i was in a hurry to get a car and i really wanted a cl-s...so i purchased it... from a STEALERSHIP.... after i purchased it, i looked at the imperfections of the car IE: scratches, rock chips, etc etc...and wen i wash my car outside when theres sun, water beads show up like a mofo....i have to scrub it down hard to get rid of them...just a pain in the ass... i love white cars....i also USE to have an integra ..97 converted to a 98.... all white as well... but a 4 door sedan.... i shaved off all the emblems got the all red taillights etc from 98...looks real nice and reliable...but super slow.... so now i have a white cl-s....i dont have any regrets of getting my new cl-s....fast, smooth, and nice looking ride.

btw, yea black interior is nice.... my black cl-s had it...that was the question before i purchased the white one....but i find that the tan interior with woodgrain trim is more classy/luxurious... the black leather with marble is nice too....but the woodgrain is what i wanted...so the tan is ok with me since mine is in excellent condition. i was going to swap out my black interior with my tan ones...too much work, and i foudn tan to be ok and since im tinting my windows

good thing gas just went down... 2.99 in daly city for premium!

Last edited by immauser; 10-29-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lawsofpower48
ls2goat, yea white is hard.... i found blacks all over the craigslist ads.... and at the time i was in a hurry to get a car and i really wanted a cl-s...so i purchased it... from a STEALERSHIP.... after i purchased it, i looked at the imperfections of the car IE: scratches, rock chips, etc etc...and wen i wash my car outside when theres sun, water beads show up like a mofo....i have to scrub it down hard to get rid of them...just a pain in the ass... i love white cars....i also USE to have an integra ..97 converted to a 98.... all white as well... but a 4 door sedan.... i shaved off all the emblems got the all red taillights etc from 98...looks real nice and reliable...but super slow.... so now i have a white cl-s....i dont have any regrets of getting my new cl-s....fast, smooth, and nice looking ride.

btw, yea black interior is nice.... my black cl-s had it...that was the question before i purchased the white one....but i find that the tan interior with woodgrain trim is more classy/luxurious... the black leather with marble is nice too....but the woodgrain is what i wanted...so the tan is ok with me since mine is in excellent condition. i was going to swap out my black interior with my tan ones...too much work, and i foudn tan to be ok and since im tinting my windows

good thing gas just went down... 2.99 in daly city for premium!
Nice! Yea I wanted to convert mine to a 98+ (Bumpers, headlights, tails)..but it's just not worth it. I've got a million dings on each side (ZERO on the GTO ) so it wouldn't even matter.

So what kinda white does the 01-03 CL-S sport? Taffeta? Frost?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Registered Abuser

frost = integra... taffeta is the cl's... i know both cuz i fixed scratches and chips with both the integra and cl before
Old 11-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Intermediate

I use to have an Integra GSR. I bought it new in 95 and drove it for 10 years. I loved that car but it got stolen. They are very popular parts cars.

I now have an 03 Type S 6 MT

Much more comfortable and quiet than the Integra. It's a more "grown up" car.

Automatic Tranny.

I get about 22 in the city (shifting at low revs) and 28 on the highway (70-80 mph)

I've never seen one with a wing and a stupid exhaust tip around here.

You would want a sub woofer for sure. Didn't you have one in the Integra?

I'm shocked at how bad the resale is. Acura's used to be one of the best for resale. Not this car.

I hate that the rear seats don't fold forward. It's pretty limited cargo wise.

It's heavy!!! It weighs about 1,000 pounds more than my Integra did. It's definitely not as fun to drive. Lighter cars are just more tossable.

On the other hand, the CL is a damn nice car. It's got great features, it's smooth, and it's very comfortable. Like I said, it's more of a grown up car. When I first got it I felt like I should dress better to drive it.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Not tossable? Come drive with me....lol
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
CLS is tuned to let in more engine noise over the base model

condition of the car, is it clean? is it nice and shiney? good tires? does it drive well? ,etc

Yes and yes

22-23 city 25-27 mixed 30-34 highway in a 2002 CLS

Yes as these cars are now in the affordable to kids range

new is $350+ around here $450 mounted

if you want to keep the stock head unit, better speakers and line level amps

stiffer ride, 17" wheels, preforated seats, VSA (automatics), 4 channel ABS, better exhaust, white vs black guages, different shift knob

not reliable in automatic form, I am currently waiting for new trans to blow up here shortly
Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 PM
w202 on carlssons

i had a 97 integra then went to my CL-P. i'm pretty happy. just expect a bigger roomier faster newer better car.