New lower fuel costs.....new lower fuel efficiency???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry New lower fuel costs.....new lower fuel efficiency???

So driving by this weekend, notice that Chevron 93 goes for $2.57...I nearly fell out of the car!!! There are only a few stations that have that price, most other places have 87 octane for $2.67...so what's up?!?!?

So, I think to myself, well, only a few have caught on and this will be permanent. Three days later, same thing...only a few have the new low price. I fill up yesterday at the convenient price of $2.55 for 93 octane.

After 97 miles this morning, I notice that I'm a tick above 1/2 tank...WTF?!?!?!

The driving I've done has been very easy, mostly cruising, no A/C running and just enjoying the cool weather (and slight rain yesterday). Even when I push the car hard A LOT, I get about 140-150 for a 1/2 tank.

I haven't done anything different or touched anything in the engine. No CEL, and the engine just LOVES the cooler weather we're having. I have in fact two tanks ago, used a fuel injector cleaner like I do every 5000 miles. I don't feel any loss of power, lag in shifting, zip, zilch, nada....

Anyone see this or have some similar issues? I'm thinking about running the tank out and going to "expensive" gas again to see if I see/feel a difference but I wanted to see if anyone has had the same experience. j
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
gas is gas. Might be the conditions, or some act of God?? Unless they are putting 87 gas in the 93 pump.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about in TX, but up here in PA all through the winter months they oxigenate (sp?) the fuel. Which means your pumping some air into your tank with the gas, and this results in poor MPG in the winter
Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdy0001
I don't know about in TX, but up here in PA all through the winter months they oxigenate (sp?) the fuel. Which means your pumping some air into your tank with the gas, and this results in poor MPG in the winter
Might be worth looking into then...that sounds a little reasonable.

Reason I bring it up is because I know that right after Rita came by and reserves were released, I was getting some UNBELIEVABLE fuel efficiency. Some people were saying that it's because the fuels were "cleaner"...so I wonder if now that everything has blown away (pardon the pun to those who were affected - like myself- by the hurricanes), it's the opposite....
Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I drove down to VA this past weekend. And I got amazing gas mileage. One the way down there I got about 31 mpg and that was going 75 to 80 most of the way. On the way back it was about 29 because we hit a lot of traffic.

Trips like that is why I love my CL.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by falabarce
Might be worth looking into then...that sounds a little reasonable.

Reason I bring it up is because I know that right after Rita came by and reserves were released, I was getting some UNBELIEVABLE fuel efficiency. Some people were saying that it's because the fuels were "cleaner"...so I wonder if now that everything has blown away (pardon the pun to those who were affected - like myself- by the hurricanes), it's the opposite....
Exactly.
Our conspiracy theory is that the oil pigs muck up the gas in the refinery process to purposely lower MPGs. Really. Why else did you and myself and lots of others get much better gas mileage in the days after Rita? "Cleaner" gas. Hmm why would the gas be cleaner when due to Rita they supposedly had less time to refine it and needed to get the gas out to the public quickly? Because they didn't have time to dick with the gas and make it less effective like they usually do? Previous thread a on "Gas mileage after Rita" a boardie posted he heard the EPA had *lightened up" the restrictions right after Rita. I asked for a reference but no response. If you ask me "Lightened up" could well mean "did not dick with the gas to purposely make it less effective", like they could do all the time. See latest info on Exxon posting the largest profits ever for a stock traded company.

I don't trust these demons at all.

Back to a solution to your towns gas. I am finding it helpful to rap with the gas truck delivery drivers every chance i get. If they are in a hurry I have found most have no problem giving out their phone for further rapping. I'm wanting to find out the source as here in SoCal they have the choice of loading up in Long Beach or at a local gas depot. We have one station here that consistently has better gas. That is up until a month ago. A Union 76. Have not found out for a fact what the goodies are, but the cashier suspects the gas may be different due to large number of off roaders who tank up at said station, thus the mixture may be with them in mind. Whatever, it was working good up until last month.