New feature to your NAVI!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 04:25 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New feature to your NAVI!!!!

quote:"
....But anyway, someone needs to create a program that locates police cars, since they are always have a frequency transmitter...wouldn't that be cool...a bunch of little triangles pop on your screen tracking all the police in the vicinity."

That Police localizer I guess can be done. However, It will not track their FM radio TX signal rather I can imagine a system as follows:

Imagine on your car's top and just above the moonroof, below the moonroof visor woould be ideal, that is at the widest-distance-point of the car: 2 small rotating small cones. The cones are basically a very sensitive "direcrtional" microwave antena (same as that of V1, for instance). Those cones are motorozized and rotate at relatively high rate. Now, As they are motorized with a steper motor the incident angle between the car and the directional axis of the car could be easily computed.

Now, whenever a "boggy" start firing his radar gun, each rotorized antena would detect a high pulse of incomming RF energy at the 2 angles could be recorded.

Now since you have the 2 angles, corrected postion of the car at time of detection. Computing the postion of the target is just a trivial task. The only problem is that since the distance between the antenas is relatively small compared to the distance to the target the "resolution" of this system would be low...

This is what I can imagine now....

Any thoughts?

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 01-22-2001, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds very cool...but can someone actually rig that up?? and how much would that cost..? I can see that in the future...and Im sure someone on this board is going to try it If it works, im gonna have to get a CL-S!

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the police would allow a police locator to be sold on the open market. I believe it would attract a bad crowd (like bank robbers).

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-22-2001, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that's why we would need to have someone here figure it out I know I can't so I will leave it to you genius'

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:39 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
I don't think the police would allow a police locator to be sold on the open market. I believe it would attract a bad crowd (like bank robbers).

</font>
Bank robbers wont be helped by this device as if the police are in pursuit of those bad guys the cops wont be interested in using their radar gun...
Old 01-22-2001, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

This has already been done years ago on our Gov. missile systems (HARM = high speed anti radiation missle). You can find the details in any Gov defense magizine. Cost would be about twice as much as you payed for your car. Contact Raytheon they're hurting for business maybe they can cut you a deal.
Old 01-22-2001, 06:00 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fender4:
This has already been done years ago on our Gov. missile systems (HARM = high speed anti radiation missle). You can find the details in any Gov defense magizine. Cost would be about twice as much as you payed for your car. Contact Raytheon they're hurting for business maybe they can cut you a deal. </font>

Hey fender4,

Thanks for the info... I do not see why the system would cost $60k... all what is needed 2 uwave recievers/antenas ($800?), 2 simple step motors DC (100$), simple step motors wiring to the NAV control unit and the refresh update to the emmbeded software of the NAVi.

So, total would add some $1k to the NAVI price.

One thing, of course, is that it is not simple task to search and track an RF sourece. I would be cool if Alpine and Valentine Research could come up with joint product that implement that feature!
Old 01-22-2001, 07:50 PM
Banned

I'm pretty glad you guys took my suggestion to heart...
But you can track a police car because they are constantly giving off signals from their cars...the transmitters on police cars are constant.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Old 01-22-2001, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought that there were people who were selling devices that would track that "always on" signal that the police cars use to keep in communication with the officer(s) when they leave the vehicle.

Then, someone said they (the police) were going to move to a different system to prevent location detection...

Comments?
Old 01-22-2001, 10:17 PM
Racer

Bearcat makes a police locator. Our best buy used to carry this item. It locates and searches the transmitting police car.

Al police are are always transmitting.. It's a bi-directional system these police officers use.

------------------
Old 01-22-2001, 11:11 PM
Race Director

But I didn't think police cars were transmitting at all times. It's that if any one police car transmits, then all police cars go off. Then they are all silent.

In Kansas, this wouldn't work because alot of the police cars with nothing to do are idle.

Let's talk about range. What kind of range would this device have? If it's too far and depending on the number of cops around, you would be busy fooling around with the device (lots of alerts) all day instead of paying attention to driving, no?

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-23-2001, 01:58 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Let's talk about range. What kind of range would this device have? If it's too far and depending on the number of cops around, you would be busy fooling around with the device (lots of alerts) all day instead of paying attention to driving, no?

</font>
A well designed search and track system would be a >>line-sight<< system, adapted to search and track target(s) 1-mile away (front/back). And advanced one, will allow the user to select min/max range, max number of targets, audio alert, etc....