New car under warranty, why can't we get a NEW transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New car under warranty, why can't we get a NEW transmission?

Just curious why the transmissions they replace broken ones with are "rebuilt" ones not new ones.

It's a new car, and it's under a warranty - why can't I get a new part?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have either a completely new transmission or THE SAME EXACT transmission that broke on me rebuilt - simple reason - any other "rebuilt" transmission came from someone else's car and who knows how they treated it. The "rebuild" is just replacing the one part that is known to fail for whatever reason - the defect - but what if some other parts are weak or poorly worn because the previous owner abused it?

I just feel like it's a rip-off to have to get someone else's rebuilt transmission put in my new car with a warranty. My "luxury" car.

I think "rebuilt" also explains why several people kill the 2nd transmission within a couple weeks and end up on a 3rd one so quickly.

Anyone care to clear up the whole "rebuilt" transmission deal?

(Btw, this is in Car Talk because it's about getting a used part in our new cars and how whack that is. Besides no one reads the Tranny Forum except people with busted trannies.)
Old 08-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I THINK the reason is due to cost. Of course that's not a good reason for us, but...

They use rebuilt trannys because it's cheaper than manufacturing a new one? And under our warranty contract with the car, they're allowed to put in rebuilt parts as long as it functions that same as if it was new...

Again, I could be wrong...
Old 08-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New car under warranty, why can't we get a NEW transmission?

A rebuilt transmission does not replace just one part inside of the tranny. All they use is the casing from the old tranny. All the internals are new parts. So you have nothing to worry about. The only issue is whoever put it together, hopefully did it right.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have heard all transmissions are never really new. They are rebuilt even from the factory. The parts used are new, but it's a transmission, there are many parts that go into it, they are a built unit.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JasonT
I have heard all transmissions are never really new. They are rebuilt even from the factory. The parts used are new, but it's a transmission, there are many parts that go into it, they are a built unit.
Take a wild guess on what the new Accords gettin?
Old 08-26-2002, 05:11 AM
Pro

also, when a tranny is rebuilt its updated. so more oft than not, the rebuilt will be BETTER than the original. manufaturers update their trannies all the time. in my brief stint with the blue oval, i've seen spec revisions made like every month. from personal experience i know my 3rd E4OD trans in my bronco operates much better than the one it originally came with.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:11 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by JasonT
Easy there, don't confuse built with rebuilt. The whole car is technically built, but it's not build using parts from a previous car (yeah yeah if you wanna get really extraneous...).
Old 08-26-2002, 11:05 PM
Safety Car

I guess I missed something, what do you mean rebuild tranny? I was informed by my Acura dealer several times that a brand new tranny was put in, not a rebuilt one.

What did I miss?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by BigPimp
I guess I missed something, what do you mean rebuild tranny? I was informed by my Acura dealer several times that a brand new tranny was put in, not a rebuilt one.

What did I miss?

Tech Service Bulletin 90-009 specifically indicates that the transmission will be a remanufactured transmission.

Regarding the "quality" and speculation about why there are "early" failures:

1. A set of solenoids and/or PCM can be faulty and not be replaced. If there is a problem with the solenoids and/or PCM it will happily command tranny #2...#n to destroy themselves (can/may -- not must).

2. The dealer or tech can screw stuff up (it happens -- I speak from experience [other non-auto trans issues on other cars].

3. It is possible to get a prefect rebuilt/remanufactured tranny (and I've gotten alternators, starters, and manual trannies from other automakers that were NEW, even though they were "labeled" factory rebuilds). (Long story)

So, you could get a GREAT box or a crappy one. (Hey, they make new car lemons don't they?)