New Acura CL Type-S Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Acura CL Type-S Owner

Just bought a 2001 Acura Cl Type-S. I was wondering what kind of modifications (would like mods to be bolt on and I am on a budget) I could do to the car to gain maybe 10-20 HP. Also, where might I find the parts to get this extra HP. I might not be able to increase the HP of the car much since I am on a budget, but I thought I might ask. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-13-2002, 07:37 PM
on bin laden

Cold Air Intake is prob. the best bang for the buck. AEM makes a good one, so does Injen.

You can get one for $205 with free overnight shipping from the following link:

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=6574
Old 08-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Congrats. on the purchase...

Start with the intake... Everything, horsepower wise gets more expensive after the CAI. Headers are popular... 1000 bones fo em' however...

Regardless, the car rocks. Get out and enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
you'll have to use the earch function for the details but there maybe be 2 mods out shortly that together should total less than 500 the first is likely to be the cheapest of the two called at this point mystery mod II should be under 150$ and should be good for 15 hp and maybe 8-10 lb.ft the other is called RES formerly mystery mod made by the same person see the sticky thread at the top of the page
Old 08-13-2002, 08:21 PM
It's Go-Time.

Congrat on the new ride! How much did you pay for a 01'?? That must have been one of the LAST 01' in N.America???

Let the car break in first...then get some NOS, some 19s and springs!
Old 08-13-2002, 08:23 PM
Grammar Police

REAL vs FAKE mods

Originally posted by typeR
you'll have to use the earch function for the details but there maybe be 2 mods out shortly that together should total less than 500 the first is likely to be the cheapest of the two called at this point mystery mod II should be under 150$ and should be good for 15 hp and maybe 8-10 lb.ft the other is called RES formerly mystery mod made by the same person see the sticky thread at the top of the page
Goddamit, stuff like that pisses me off

A new guy comes in and wants to know what LEGITIMATE, REAL, and OBTAINABLE mods there are (in this case, mods that are proven to increase hp/tq).

Instead he gets rumors and rambling on two things which (a) don't exist to purchase, and (b) don't even have a proof of concept. The RES, for instance, scalbert just ran a dyno test of it
and it only hurt performance. TOTAL vaporware.

Also, I have to say that all the MMII and the RES threads that you're telling him to search for are all gay, 90 pages long, and contain all kinds of gay-ass yelling and speculation, and cumulative adding together of peak HP #'s for real and fake mods.

That aside, for increasing HP, you really only have a few options:
- the CAI (AEM or Injen makes them), something like 6-8 hp and tq
across the board ($205ish + install)
- Comptech Headers, 30 peak HP and 22torque, but only in the
5500-7000 RPM range, $1000 + install
- UR Pulleys: still disputed, but a real available product, and will
probably wind up giving you something like 10 hp and 10tq
across the board ($300 + install)

And, something that is not out yet, and no-one knows the final details for sure, but unlike the others, IT WILL actually come out:

- Comptech Supercharger: At least 50 hp / 40 tq and hopefully more (or upgradeable to more with pulley). $3900 + install
Old 08-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: REAL vs FAKE mods

Originally posted by Kkranghkar

Goddamit, stuff like that pisses me off

A new guy comes in and wants to know what LEGITIMATE, REAL, and OBTAINABLE mods there are (in this case, mods that are proven to increase hp/tq).

Instead he gets rumors and rambling on two things which (a) don't exist to purchase, and (b) don't even have a proof of concept. The RES, for instance, scalbert just ran a dyno test of it
and it only hurt performance. TOTAL vaporware.

Also, I have to say that all the MMII and the RES threads that you're telling him to search for are all gay, 90 pages long, and contain all kinds of gay-ass yelling and speculation, and cumulative adding together of peak HP #'s for real and fake mods.

And, something that is not out yet, and no-one knows the final details for sure, but unlike the others, IT WILL actually come out:

you can get mad if you want but i have no doubt of the validity of REs and MMII...dont mistake scalberts valiant ,excelent effort that didnt hurt performance ,just didnt give any for the dyno proven performance from RES...second i talked with doug twice in the last two weeks and he is indeed moving foward with both projects..if this guy intends to wait alittle he'll have a decision to make...if not... on a budget...take out the lower resonator and drop in a K&N 50$
Old 08-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro

Welcome aboard.

Here is a link to 99% of what u want to know:

http://www.geocities.com/~gamesmgr/chod/acura/
Old 08-15-2002, 01:29 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome. Enjoy modding your car, you'll get alot of help here