neuspeed short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Texan trapped in NM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neuspeed short shifter

Has anyone installed the neuspeed short shifter kit on their '03 CL-S w/ 6 speed yet? If so how is that working out? Did it make a big difference in the cars perfomance? Also, were their any negative affects? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome.

Unfortunately, the search function is not working. There are a number of threads on this device.

Personally, I hated this product for a few reasons. Most folks that had it (including myself) had to trim the shift plate trim with a Dremel to get it to fit. If one didn't trim the plate, every 1, 3, and 5 shift would pop out the cover. Also, I found the resulting shifts way too stiff and inaccurate - so much so that I couldn't effectively downshift in the microsecond that it took me pre-install. Lastly, FWIW, Neuspeed customer service is some of the worst I've seen in a retailer. I'll never do business with them again.

Some folks have liked this product and feel the stiffer shifting is not too much of a trade. I would recommend that if you try it, you drive around with in on for a day or so before you trim you shift plate cover up, just to see if you like it. One thing nice is that if you don't like it de-installing is not much of an issue.

If I recall correctly, the short shifter did effectively shorten the shifter throws by about 25%.

A number of us have installed lowered shift knobs and found that the shifting throws are effectively shorter without compromise of stiffness. I and a few others have a Team Voodoo Titanium ball type shifter. Others have liked Momo Sphere, Shot, and Race ball shaped shifters.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Texan trapped in NM

It probably doesn't matter. I'd ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it is going in on Monday along with AEM pulleys. I'd ordered it long before comptech told me about this forum. At least I know that if a hate it is easy to reverse.

FYI I was pretty sure that it had already been brought up before. I just could find it anywhere. Do you have link to the tread where it was discussed in more detail.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:45 AM
Advanced

to my understanding it really doesn't make a big difference on the cl, since the cl's shifter is somewhat sort to begin with.

However am going to try one considering they aren't very expensive. But am not expecting to find a difference.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I don't have a link to those threads. Too bad, there was some good information there, both pro & con.

Soopa -- we need the search database back!

For reference, this is what I mean by trimming the shift plate cover. This is the piece that covers the innards of the shifter. I know others said they didn't have to trim as much, but most had to trim something. To me, this means that Neuspeed poorly designed the product.

Remember my advice -- drive around without the cover installed for a couple days to see if you like it. If you do, then trim. I made the mistake of trimming before I decided if I liked it.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
um ... search doesn't work? ok, whatever ...

try this thread ... it has the latest on the subject

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=119418
Old 03-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
um ... search doesn't work? ok, whatever ...

try this thread ... it has the latest on the subject

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=119418
Great. That's the link for the good short shifter thread.

This is the link for my write-up on my frustrations with this product.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey
I don't have a link to those threads. Too bad, there was some good information there, both pro & con.

Soopa -- we need the search database back!

For reference, this is what I mean by trimming the shift plate cover. This is the piece that covers the innards of the shifter. I know others said they didn't have to trim as much, but most had to trim something. To me, this means that Neuspeed poorly designed the product.

Remember my advice -- drive around without the cover installed for a couple days to see if you like it. If you do, then trim. I made the mistake of trimming before I decided if I liked it.

Good luck.

No offense Slimey, but i don't think anyone else cut down nearly as much as you have shown in your pic. I barely had to take it down at all and didn't have to touch the clip parts.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by brian6speed
No offense Slimey, but i don't think anyone else cut down nearly as much as you have shown in your pic. I barely had to take it down at all and didn't have to touch the clip parts.
No offense taken. That's just how that poorly designed piece of crap fit in my car. I did not shave that down in one fell swoop, but in many, many increments, probably taking down only about 1/3 - 1/2 millimeter with each shave. I had to take down some of the clip part for the 3 and 5 gear position.

I spend a lot of time working with my hands under a microscope -- believe me, I know a thing or two about precise fine cuts and shaves. This product simply did not fit well into my car.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
No offense taken. That's just how that poorly designed piece of crap fit in my car. I did not shave that down in one fell swoop, but in many, many increments, probably taking down only about 1/3 - 1/2 millimeter with each shave. I had to take down some of the clip part for the 3 and 5 gear position.

I spend a lot of time working with my hands under a microscope -- believe me, I know a thing or two about precise fine cuts and shaves. This product simply did not fit well into my car.
Yea im just surprised. I dont see how their could be such a big difference from what needed trimming if the parts are exactly the same. It just seems Neuspeed didn't think our car was important enough to do the right amount of r&d. I have had mine in for almost a year now, and i dont regret it at all. I like the shorter throws, and i also have the voodoo knob on.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Where is my super sauce?

...It just seems Neuspeed didn't think our car was important enough to do the right amount of r&d....
This was one of the points I made to them. I was surprised at their lack of concern when I returned the product for not fitting. Now, if I was the only one that had to trim, it would seem my situation was unique -- but a number of folks had to do the Dremel trim so I think the problem lies with the product.

...I dont see how their could be such a big difference from what needed trimming if the parts are exactly the same...
This was something I raised in my initial post on this topic. I wonder if our shift linkages are, to a small degree, different. A number of people here complain about notchiness or difficulty in shifting into second gear. I've never had any issues with shifting or the shifter. It always shifts like butter... It makes me think that the linkage from cable to bracket may be slightly different from car to car -- maybe there is some small amount of variability in the level of the weld of the bracket onto the shift lever? Maybe this slight difference translates into an issue when the aftermarket bracket is attached giving the linkage a strange angle?

Who knows? And honestly, at this point, I don't really care. I fixed the plate back up so you can never tell what happened underneath once-upon-a-time. My shifts are short enough with the Team Voodoo knob. I've had enough in my dealings with Neuspeed and have made my car Neuspeed free. They are not a customer friendly company (or at least don't have customer friendly representatives - Armel/Joseph) and frankly do not deserve my business.

Just a thought -- It'd be nice if someone produced a short shifter kit that was a transplant of the whole shift lever and not just the added bracket.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I have it installed. Neuspeed redesigned the unit so it doesn't have fitment issues. The early ones had that problem. The new ones don't. The drawback, is the new ones do not have as much of a short throw because of the redesign. For the record I didn't have to do any trimming. It fit fine on my car. As for performance, I really didn't notice a difference. Seemed the same to me. It does add a bit of notchyness, & the throws aren't as smooth. However after a few weeks, I'm able to shift fine. I have no problem downshifing either.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Swim Bike Run...

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
...As for performance, I really didn't notice a difference. Seemed the same to me. It does add a bit of notchyness, & the throws aren't as smooth. However after a few weeks, I'm able to shift fine. I have no problem downshifing either.
I find it interesting that many people with the same product have very different experiences. But this is a good thing because otherwise we'd all configure our cars the same way and this board would be very boring.

I personally thought the shifting was night and day different (better). It felt much shorter to me. My shifts weren't quite as smooth as before, but I was willing to make this trade-off given the short throws. My brother-in-law, who only occasionally drives my car, also noticed a significant difference in the short throws.

I guess with this product it is especially true that YMMV!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Texan trapped in NM

Well everybody it's getting installed tomarrow by professionals. So hopefully if thier are any bugs they'll get it worked out before I pick it up. I'll get back to everyone and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by jruss9819
Well everybody it's getting installed tomarrow by professionals. So hopefully if thier are any bugs they'll get it worked out before I pick it up. I'll get back to everyone and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the insight.
I hope you're not paying to have this installed. Do you realize the installation requires drilling one hole and attaching a bolt and clevis pin?
It's only slightly harder then putting gas into the tank.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Texan trapped in NM

it's getting done along with the pulleys....it's kind of a package deal. I'm not paying much at all for them to do it. To me it's worth it because if they screw it up it's their ass.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I'm just messing with you. Enjoy your new toys!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Texan trapped in NM

I've been impressed with the shifting feel so far. the shifts are clean and crisp. the only down side of the short shift kit it is when the car is cold it's a bit tough to get it into first gear. it's no biggy once the car warms up. also, the guys who installed it didn't have to trim the shift cover.

does anyone know how to post pics in a thread? it says that the max size is 1 byte for attachmends. 1 byte isn't jack. how am I going to get anything down to that size. i tried setting up a online photo book but they all require a log in for anyone who goes to the link. any help would be nice. thanks.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Lastly, FWIW, Neuspeed customer service is some of the worst I've seen in a retailer. I'll never do business with them again.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Texan trapped in NM

any help...please see last comments!!!!!