need honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 03:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need honest opinion

hey guys,

well i'm new to this forum and i actually don't own a cl but plan on purchasing the cl S at the end of this month. just wanted to know if you guys thought your 30 grand was well spent on this car, even with the various problems that have been discussed on this forum. also, is the navigation system worth the extra 2ks? thanks in advance.

abe

------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then its just fun.
Old 01-10-2001, 03:33 AM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EATENG:
hey guys,

well i'm new to this forum and i actually don't own a cl but plan on purchasing the cl S at the end of this month. just wanted to know if you guys thought your 30 grand was well spent on this car, even with the various problems that have been discussed on this forum. also, is the navigation system worth the extra 2ks? thanks in advance.

abe

</font>
The car is damn worth the money!! The "problems" that most people have are extremely minor, just rattles, squeaks, etc. The most common problem is w/ the fit/finish...but that's nothing major...

And yes, get the navi. It makes the interior look waaaaaaay nicer, and you may regret it in the future, like some others have.

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!! Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector.

Former post count : 460
Old 01-10-2001, 03:35 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EATENG:
hey guys,

abe

</font>
Yes and maybe, for sure yes for the car. As for the navi, if you don't want to spend the money don't. I use it maybe 2 times a week.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-10-2001, 03:49 AM
Rx Master

I have had my car since last may and man i love it everyday that i am in it. i have not have on problem yet and i am takin it for its 7500 mile checkup on thursday, will post any problems if i have one. The only complaint i have is from the rims being too far out and that i stratched 2 of them last week. I do wish that i had the navi but i want going to poay the extra 40 a month for something i wasnt going to use all the time. Had i bought the car, id have had it. IF u are buyin , get it, u wont regret it.
WG

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
coilovers or springs to come soon 501+ posts makes me a freak on the old Cl page.

Old 01-10-2001, 05:22 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

In my opinion (still) you can't get anything close to this car for the money. With an additional $10,000 to blow you'd have a harder decision to make.

I think the NAV is wonderful. I grew up in L.A., I know my way around, I drive a lot everyday and didn't really think the NAV was going to be anything but a cool toy. It turns out I use it for all kinds of things I never expected.

For one thing I've found some great shortcuts because it's much easier to pioneer your way out of a traffic jam when the NAV keps you basically on course. I really like that it automatically recalcuates your best course to the destination when you miss an offramp or make a detour.

When you're running on fumes, having it find the closest gas station is pretty useful; same goes for the closest ATM or Sushi Bar.

There are lots of other things I really like but overall it's a great stress reducer, which I didn't expect.

I'll be driving in San Francisco next month, where I tend to get lost for long periods of time using a map, and I expect to appreciate it even more in that unfamiliar territory.

If you don't live in a big city and don't plan on driving in one, then maybe it's not worth it. Otherwise you won't regret the $2K.
Old 01-10-2001, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked at all of the cars from 28K to 42K and the Acura CL-S was the best for me. I got the NAVI (good resale, like the system, and I use it).

If you hate the idea of not being able to do 4 wheel slides with a rear engine car, well get the BMW xxx. The various tests put the Acura up against a 330ci with all the performance options (check the dealer price).

Take your time, look around, go for some test rides. Also, check out the Acura Care stuff. Finally, some of the early models had fit and finish problems.

Anyone who tells you that each and every car made by a given manufacturer is problem free is full of it.

Finally, if you have to drive in traffic (freeways, congested blvds., and other cattle chutes) will appreciate the power and the 1st/2nd gearing of the manumatic/automatic transmission.

Old 01-10-2001, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yep... the car is definitely worth it! I love it!! I did NOT get the Navi for 2 reasons:
1) $2K is a lot of money to me (but not to everyone, that is for damn sure!!)
2) I had a feeling I would only use it, just to use it and not because I needed it. Turns out I was right - it's just not necessary for me. I usually only drive in Phoenix and Tucson, both of which are pretty much grids and damn near impossible to get lost in.

Like Water Rabbit said... if you live in a huge city and often travel to unfamiliar places, I'd consider it a mandatory option. But if you know where you're going 99.9% of the time, think hard about whether or not you want to spend $2K on something you'll use, but not something you'll need!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Old 01-10-2001, 11:07 AM
Adult Supervision

I would buy this car again. I purchased on October and have seen pricing go down so the only thing I would have done is is wait a few more months...which exactly where you are.

I got the NAV for two reasons: 1) I get lost alot; 2) The car's interior looks alot better with it and I would have kicked myself constantly knowing this and not getting it. Note: I am a car keeper - I average 8 years per car.

I also hate the rims and am trying to rationalize buying aftermarkets but haven't yet. I hate the color of my car (black). Correction: I love the color of my car; I hate the maintenance that goes with it. Get the red - it is not boring like silver ( bring it on guys!) but not as much of a dust magnet like the black. I got the spoiler and initially think the car looks better with it - I feel myself becoming ambivilent on this now.

Things I really like: 1) interior luxury - its a really nice interior 2) electrical gadgets - heated seats, mirrors which adjust, steering wheel controls, etc. 3) engine power 4) engine power 5) engine power...you get the idea.

Bottomline: It is a fun car which really cooks and is very comfortable to ride in and looks pretty sedate (wife doesn't think its extravagent) and has alot of gadgets which makes it more fun inside.

Questions?

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-10-2001, 11:07 AM
Advanced

I love my new car.Chances are good that you can find one for $ less than 30 K also. One dealer in my area is offering them for $27,995 (no nav). That's where I purchased mine

------------------
Mike
Satin Silver CL Type S
Old 01-10-2001, 11:10 AM
Advanced

this car is "BANG FOR THE BUCKS" i'm truly happy with everything about this car..a friend of mine talk me into getting the navi system, i was skeptikal at first but extra $30 bucks a month is nothing,,it's just one more toy for me to play with..im sure it will add to the resale value if i deside to sell it or trade in.

------------------
01 Silver S-type with navigation and spoiler..comtech springs/clear bra (3M)/viper 550 hf with remote start/more to come..
Old 01-10-2001, 11:28 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

yep, get the type s with nav... I am kinda regretting that I didn't... besides that i absolutely love the car, speed, luxury, comfort.

i told my friends "who needs a bimmer when you got type s..."
Old 01-10-2001, 11:44 AM
9th Gear

Most of the fit and finish problems seem to have been fixed after the first 8000 cars or so were produced, I just purchased mine in November and have seen none of them, seems like most who have bought early. If you ask me it is well worth it, and the Nav is too. the nav is the only option you cant go back and add later if you change your mind, it is good for resale value, and looks good. I thought I was getting it just as a toy, but it has really helped me out of a couple of annoying situations (stuck in traffic so make a detour, it tells me how to get to my destination from the detour )

------------------
Iostream

'01 CL Type-S Nighthawk Black/Parchment with Nav and more wood than you can shake a stick at!
Old 01-10-2001, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I don't own one yet either, but I'm getting one without the Nav. I have a good sense of direction and I've been without one ever since, so I'll save the 2k for mods and insurance !!

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-10-2001, 11:51 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EATENG,

You love so much this Type-s/NAV, in the first couple months so that you will come up with any silly excuse to drive it. I got my car on 6/15/00 and less than 6 month now (the car was garaged too, for 1 month) I put 9,000 on it. This loves to go the HW.

Oh yes, I was averaging 21mpg on mixed City/HW. So, my gas bill is some $120/per month @ $1.65/93-Oct-Gal.

Enjoy, and keep cool.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories.
Old 01-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juniorbean:

I don't own one yet either, but I'm getting one without the Nav. I have a good sense of direction and I've been without one ever since, so I'll save the 2k for mods and insurance !!

</font>
I also got the NAV because I figured that if I kept the car for many years - which I tend to do, then I would really want this feature 4-5 years down the road.

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-10-2001, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
I also got the NAV because I figured that if I kept the car for many years - which I tend to do, then I would really want this feature 4-5 years down the road.</font>
I agree with you, but I'm the type who wants a new car every 2-3 years (put on too many miles to lease), so I'm hoping the next time around (probably more like 5-6 years after I get the new one this year...getting married next year) it'll be standard on the cars I'm looking at.

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-10-2001, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

hey guys, thanks for all your opnions and comments. i guess i just needed a little assurance before i spend 30gs heheh. i live in fremont CA and i can get lost in even the hometown that i grew up in (sad but true). one of the reasons i don't really drive to SF is because i ALWAYS get lost there. so right now that nav system is looking real good. the colors i'm deciding on between is silver and black. like someone mentioned before, keeping a black car clean is a pain but it looks so good when it is clean. so i guess its a tradeoff. well, thanks for your opinions again, and plan on having a new clS join the fleet at the end of the month. which is when i'll be bugging youguys about mods..etc.

------------------
Old 01-10-2001, 07:28 PM
10th Gear

If you're looking at dealers in the Bay Area, check out Concord Acura (in, duh, Concord). I bought my CL-S from them last month, and I got a pretty good deal. They were several hundred $$$ cheaper than any other dealer I talked to in the BA. Also had a good experience with Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, although they weren't willing to deal as much. Hopkins looks like a dump from the outside, but they have a good rep for service.
Old 01-10-2001, 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spyponder:
If you're looking at dealers in the Bay Area, check out Concord Acura (in, duh, Concord). I bought my CL-S from them last month, and I got a pretty good deal. They were several hundred $$$ cheaper than any other dealer I talked to in the BA. Also had a good experience with Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, although they weren't willing to deal as much. Hopkins looks like a dump from the outside, but they have a good rep for service.</font>
how much did you get your car for? if oyu do'nt mind me asking. the best i've gotten is from acura pleasanton and their price is 500 over invoice which is about 28grand for type s w/o nav. is that a good deal? what would be a good price if i got nav?

------------------
Old 01-10-2001, 10:21 PM
I love my CL-S

get a cl-s now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter

clean cl-s=270 HP
Old 01-10-2001, 10:54 PM
Team Owner

The CL-S is awesome value for around 30K.
I recommend getting the NAV system.
Even though my area isn’t mapped very well, I bought it for when I take trips out of the area and all the major highways are in there.
There are always DVD upgrades that will be out every year and there are some reports that the fall 2001 update will have the entire country mapped.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-10-2001, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

Love the Type S. You can't really go wrong with it, but make sure you test drive others so you know it's right for you. When you get down to prices, you'll know why we all bought CLs.

As for the navi, I'd say go ahead and spring for it. No one had said that they wished they didn't get it. As for saving the $2k and using it for upgrades later, trust me. If you really want the upgrades, you'll find a way to get them even if the car payment is a little more each month.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver 3.2CL Type-S
Non-Nav, No Mods