Need help finding part number for oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help finding part number for oil filter

can someone tell me what the part number is for the oil filter?

is it also the same oil filters used for the current honda accord?

sidemarker
Old 06-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

^^
Old 06-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brand are you interested in?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

honda of course!!!!

or is there a better aftermarket one??

sidemarker
Old 06-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

V6 Accord and CL/TL use the oil filter.

Popular Aftermarkets:

Mobil 1: M-104 ( Some are using the bigger M-105)
Purelotor Pure One: PL14459.

More info http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hlight=PureOne
Old 06-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
V6 Accord and CL/TL use the oil filter.

Popular Aftermarkets:

Mobil 1: M-104 ( Some are using the bigger M-105)
Purelotor Pure One: PL14459.

More info http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hlight=PureOne
where can i find purelotor pure one??

NAPA?

sidemarker
Old 06-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Pep boys and Advance Auto parts, maybe Auto Zone.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

thanks Nashua_Night_Hawk

sidemarker
Old 06-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Amsoil sdf20 Mobil1 is also good if you need a "namebrand"

Fun Reading

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters...shtml:biggrin:
Old 06-04-2002, 12:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Pep boys and Advance Auto parts, maybe Auto Zone.

Purelotor Pure One: PL14459. When I called a couple of the local PepBoys they claimed they didn't have that #.

And...

So, I picked up another Honda... but...

If anyone had to choose between the Purolator and the Mobil (either one), which would you go with?

AND

Where do you guys get the Mobil 1 filter(s) and how do they fit and do they "take" the same size Honda filter wrench adaptor? (and is there ever a "seal" problem with the either or them)...

Fender -- any input on this???? (I use Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic)
Old 06-04-2002, 02:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

Purelotor Pure One: PL14459. When I called a couple of the local PepBoys they claimed they didn't have that #.

And...

If anyone had to choose between the Purolator and the Mobil (either one), which would you go with?

AND

Where do you guys get the Mobil 1 filter(s) and how do they fit and do they "take" the same size Honda filter wrench adaptor? (and is there ever a "seal" problem with the either or them)...

EricL

i think this post is a weird coincidence

i just called the same place and couldnt find them so i went to acura to pick up a honda filter

and to top it off my name is also Eric L the L is for Lee

sidemarker
Old 06-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EricL

And...

AND

Mobil1 filter is the same size; so wrench will work. Seals are good but you still might get a defective one, same as any filter.

Autozone (here in Texas) has their (Mobil) filters, check on mobil's web page; I believe they have a product locator guide.

I have read some good reports on the Purelotor Pure One: PL14459 but I didn't see any recent tear down analysis.

With Mobil1 oil make sure it's "NOT" tri-synthetic, this was synthetic mixed with petro oil to lower their cost but they forgot to lower "Our" cost. They got caught so now they have the new and inproved "Real synthetic" which doesn't seem to have as good of test specs as the old real Mobil1 before the switching game. Still very good.

Fun Reading here;

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/newsletter_1000.htm

There is a continous debate on which is the better synthetic oil; Redline, Amsoil, Mobil1; All are diamonds; it's the grade that is now being debated.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Along similar lines, I just changed my oil this weekend (Mobil 1 5W-30 and Honda filter, FWIW). I noticed the Mobil1 I bought now touts "SuperSyn" whereas all the bottles I'd purchased in perhaps the full year prior said "Tri-Synthetic". Since I haven't completely kept up with oil news, is the idea that Tri-Synthetic was their semi-synthetic labeled (and priced) as a full synthetic whereas The SuperSyn is, once again, a full synthetic?
Old 06-04-2002, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by RAdams
.... I noticed the Mobil1 I bought now touts "SuperSyn" whereas all the bottles I'd purchased in perhaps the full year prior said "Tri-Synthetic". Since I haven't completely kept up with oil news, is the idea that Tri-Synthetic was their semi-synthetic labeled (and priced) as a full synthetic whereas The SuperSyn is, once again, a full synthetic?

YES Tricky aren't they.

Note "New" mobil1 syn pour rate is -54c; old syn before (tri syn) was -64c; means, not as good as old syn their ads look good but the numbers don't add up.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is it safe to say that the most important data would fall in the temperature range in which my car operates? If it flows quickly at the lowest temperature my car will ever experience and doesn't break down during use in extremely high heat, the high and low extremes (moreso the low extreme) don't really matter to me.

Also, I seem to recall some debate as to whether or not Castrol Syntec was a true synthetic... or perhaps it was classified as lower quality due to the different base stock. Whatever the case, I noticed that it said "Fully Synthetic Motor Oil" on the label. Are they just overcompensating for all the negative hype or have they changed formulations? It would seem to me that all other labeling tricks aside, that a statement like "Fully Synthetic Motor Oil" is pretty cut and dry -- that what's in the bottle would have to be 100% synthetic or else it'd be an outright lie, not just misleading or confusing.

Oh well, I'll stick with Mobil1 and Honda filters until one of them lets me down.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fender4

Mobil1 filter is the same size; so wrench will work. Seals are good but you still might get a defective one, same as any filter.

Autozone (here in Texas) has their (Mobil) filters, check on mobil's web page; I believe they have a product locator guide.

I have read some good reports on the Purelotor Pure One: PL14459 but I didn't see any recent tear down analysis.

With Mobil1 oil make sure it's "NOT" tri-synthetic, this was synthetic mixed with petro oil to lower their cost but they forgot to lower "Our" cost. They got caught so now they have the new and inproved "Real synthetic" which doesn't seem to have as good of test specs as the old real Mobil1 before the switching game. Still very good.

Fun Reading here;

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/newsletter_1000.htm

There is a continous debate on which is the better synthetic oil; Redline, Amsoil, Mobil1; All are diamonds; it's the grade that is now being debated.

THE MOBIL 1 being a blend is a myth... I called them and downloaded their spec sheets AND even the link you provided backs this up. There were a number of people THAT ASSUMED THAT just because some pour and wear properties changed, that is was mixed with dyno blends. I found all kinds of links at the times with people making unqualified assumptions about the Tri-Synthetic. I wish I saved the printout of the TriSynthetic tech data and had a tape recorder going when I talked to Mobil...

1. I have the new Mobil (post tri-synthetic). I do have some of the tri-xxx left for my wife's car. After you mentioned this and some other people mentioned the blending, I called Mobil and ask to speak to an engineer. The two different guys I spoke with said that the current (at that time) tri-synthetic was a "real synthetic" (no dyno oils). I asked and asked and even went to their web site. They said the different pour temp was not a result of blending with “dino” oil, but was due to change in synthetic "components". (AND THEY SAID THAT ALL fractions were 100% synthetic).

THE ONLY SUPPORING INFO THAT said that MOBIL 1 Tri-Synthetic WAS NOT the real deal was people making “assumptions” that because the pour and wear tests were NOT as good as the previous “mix”, that is must be a dino +synthetic blend.

I checked this out AGAIN, when Mobil 1 had the data sheets on their site about the Tri-Synthetic and called as mentioned above and they assured me that there WERE NO DINO OILS IN MOBIL1.

I noticed at least 8-different “motor-heads” and “oil-sluths” saying, “well, I can’t prove it but since Catrol did so-and-so, Mobil is probably blending. Then someone shows a date
that is supposed to prove all this and it coinsided with their introduction of a Blended dino-synthetic (It is clear from the label).
They were getting info from Amsol... and some were dealers...

Now that the info sheet is gone, I’m now feeling like I have to keep printed copies or HTML copies of their data sheets and need to tape the conversations. Assumptions should NOT be passed along as “I know this for sure”.

I enjoy your information and I know the Redline and Amsol products are good stuff, but I really dislike “implication” by assumption…

AND thanks for the info on the filters…

HERE IS THE QUOTE FROM YOU LINK (a link inside your link):

If anything, they just verify that they are better and were first – NOT THAT the MOBIL 1 TRI-SYNTHETIC IS BOGUS!!!!!!!

“1st-in-Synthetics.com
Mobil Corporation is touting its new Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic motor oil as the latest in synthetic engine oil technology."
AMSOIL's response? "Been there. Done that."

In a press release dated April 14, 1999, Mobil Corporation announced its upgrade of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula. The press release states, "New Mobil l Tri-Synthetic Formula combines three highly advanced synthetic polymers with an innovative anti-wear additive package developed by Mobil engineers and chemists."AMSOIL Technical Services Manager Byron Selbrede is not overwhelmingly impressed. "This is not earth shattering news," said Selbrede. "It sounds like things we have been doing for years." Selbrede says based on the press release, the new Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula offers nothing more than AMSOIL synthetic lubricants do, and quite a bit less. "We've moved beyond the multiple base stock technology. They're still playing catch-up with us."The fact that Mobil is trying to catch up is a good indication that the market is swinging in favor of AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. Market research must have convinced Mobil that qualities like cold morning start-ups and protection in hot highway and stop-and-go driving – benefits built into AMSOIL motor oils for many years – are what today's consumers want.There’s a statement in the press release which offers a good indication of AMSOIL's technological lead. It refers to Mobil l’s upgrade in 1992. "The press release states that Mobil Corporation upgraded the Mobil 1 formulation in 1992 to incorporate synthetic jet engine oil technology," said Selbrede. "AMSOIL started out with jet engine oil technology from the very beginning in 1972." For those doing the math, that’s a 20-year lead.