Is Navigation really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Navigation really worth it?

I bought my 2001 CL-S without Navi and i was wondering if it really is worth it? Sometimes i wish i would have gotten it but most of the time I'm fine without it. I figured i would never use it, which is true, i never would. Maybe once or twice. Plus i read the problems people have posted about it. I was just curious if you guys with Navi are glad you got it and for the guys who don't have it, do you wish you got it??

marc
Old 08-01-2001, 02:22 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

I used it a few times. Once was when I was drunk with a girl in the car and we woek up at 6am and didn't know where in LA we were I got it really for aesthetics cause I can't stand the way the air conditioning controls appear; but it does come in handy in that you don't really need to ask for directions if someone calls u up and u need to head on over right away.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Marc S:
<STRONG>I bought my 2001 CL-S without Navi and i was wondering if it really is worth it? Sometimes i wish i would have gotten it but most of the time I'm fine without it. I figured i would never use it, which is true, i never would. Maybe once or twice. Plus i read the problems people have posted about it. I was just curious if you guys with Navi are glad you got it and for the guys who don't have it, do you wish you got it??

marc</STRONG>

This car would not be as fun as it is, for me at least, with out it. Plain and simple. I could have put in a afte market unit for cheaper but my main concern was to look clean and uncluttered. Not to mention you can use the screen for other things if you get the decoder box.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: WëbTðkér ]
Old 08-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To put it like this, I will never buy another car without Factory-installed NAV system. On the other hand, can't wait for the next DVD upgrade
Old 08-01-2001, 02:24 PM
Subie Dubie

The guys who have it love it, but for 2 grand i don't get it. Now 2k for headers and sways, or 2k to upgrade from a CL-P to a CL-S, that i get !!
Old 08-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Retired Post Whore

The navigation is definately worth it! I love it and I never get lost. THe next upgrade should be coming in September.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Personally, I'm glad I didn't get it... I have a great sense of direction and 99.9% of the time, I know where I'm going. For the rare cases I don't, I get directions from someone at the destination and/or off the web. It does the job and saved me $2k. For more info, check out the link below. It has some good opinions, although it seems swayed towards getting the nav.....
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ight=%2Anav%2A
Old 08-01-2001, 02:32 PM
Adult Supervision

I like it.

I use it.

I would buy it again.

Hey Soopa, you used to bitch a lot about the Nav but bought it again...How come?
Old 08-01-2001, 02:33 PM

The navigation is great. Use it for directions. To find Restaurants, stores, phone numbers, and present location. I usually use it about once a week unless I'm travelling for business then it is always on.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:34 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

I figured the price of the car wasn't too high that I just couldn't afford the Navi. Like I said, I like the way the AC controls are intergrated into the map unit and that thing comes in handy. I'm glad I got it just so that a year down the line, I don't say "I wish I got the Navi" and for the price, it was worth it.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:37 PM
Nightbane

Originally posted by HellaWhat:
<STRONG>... I like the way the AC controls are intergrated into the map unit and that thing comes in handy... </STRONG>
Actually thats one of the main reasons I DIDN'T get it. I didn't like the idea that if the Navi unit broke then my climate controls were gone also.

Brenden
Old 08-01-2001, 02:39 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by WI CL TypeS:
<STRONG>

Actually thats one of the main reasons I DIDN'T get it. I didn't like the idea that if the Navi unit broke then my climate controls were gone also.

Brenden</STRONG>
UHHHHHHHHH I hardly use the navi screen for AC..... I the Auto climate controls more often and the AC doesn't break if the Navi does, it's only the maunal operation of the AC that will lose functionality. I don't think those knobs looked rigth in a 30K car... that's all.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
I got it. I use it. I have great sense of direction and find addresses easily but the navi system does more than just provide a map. It has phone numbers, addresses, restaurants, atm's, banks, all kinds of shit. I couldnt believe how much i cut down on 411 calls on my cell phone once i got the car.
PLUS...everybody is impressed when they get in the car.

I would get it again...
Old 08-01-2001, 02:41 PM
Nightbane

<STRONG>

UHHHHHHHHH I hardly use the navi screen for AC..... I the Auto climate controls more often and the AC doesn't break if the Navi does, it's only the maunal operation of the AC that will lose functionality. I don't think those knobs looked rigth in a 30K car... that's all.</STRONG>
Yeah thats true, the AC doesn't break, but you couldn't control it any more. I don't know, I sort of like it, I like the knobs better then say the Hot/Cold sliders that use to be used in cars. But like everything else, it's a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Brenden
Old 08-01-2001, 02:45 PM
Advanced

I didn't get the nav either. I actually thought about getting a CL-P with Nav vs a CL-S without. I figured I'd use the extra speed more often than I would need directions. However, from all the good things people have said about it, I'll probably get it on my next car.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:47 PM
Retired Post Whore

Navigation rules!
Old 08-01-2001, 02:50 PM

I didn't get it because I don't plan on taking my car all over the U.S. I only go places that I know how to get there. Makes sense huh>?
Old 08-01-2001, 02:56 PM
Drifting

<STRONG>

UHHHHHHHHH I hardly use the navi screen for AC..... I the Auto climate controls more often and the AC doesn't break if the Navi does, it's only the maunal operation of the AC that will lose functionality. I don't think those knobs looked rigth in a 30K car... that's all.</STRONG>
Ya, it makes the inside of the car look more like and Accord. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I like my car to look like and Acura
Old 08-01-2001, 03:27 PM
Advanced

I admit, I sprung for the Nav mainly because I used to operate GPS satellites for the Air Force, but now that I have it, I'll never get another car w/o it. I use it all the time to find alternate routes and avoid traffic, locate addresses, find the nearest gas station/atm/movie theater/bowling alley/Arby's/comedy club or just about anything, including phone numbers for them. It's also great for checking out distance to certain locations, elevation changes when doing 1/4 mile runs, avoiding toll-booth backups, etc. And it's great making BMW and Jag owners jaws drop when they say "let's get seafood tonite" and I just ask it to find the nearest seafood restaurant, bring up the phone number, and make a reservation from the car!
Old 08-01-2001, 03:48 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

I love my Navi. I am happy I got it. I think it is going too far to say that I won't buy a car unless it has Navi though. In this car it is definitely worth the $$$.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:53 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MikeS 18:
<STRONG>Hey Soopa, you used to bitch a lot about the Nav but bought it again...How come?</STRONG>
I bitch cuz she does moronic things... but i've also said a million times shes saved my ass.

But mainly... the reason I cant live without it is the aesthetics... it just brings the whole car to another level.

Most people are thoroughly unimpressed by the exterior of my car... then they get inside and go.. "WHOA!"

But yea... I am totally 110% happy I bought the nav... she has some major bugs... and my area isnt mapped well... but its just software... theyll work it out. For the most part it is an incredibly useful feature.

Definately worth every penny of the 2k it cost... and probably worth more.

Will be even better when I get the Video On My Navi crap.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Drifting

I think the feature I use the most is the ability to find different locations of a store or the phone number.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: WëbTðkér ]
Old 08-01-2001, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Definitely get the Navigation!!! My friend has a CL Type S without it and when he rode in my car, he was so regretful that he didn’t get that option. I love the “stars” screensaver when it’s off, and even when I’m not using it, I’ll put it on “map” mode while I’m driving. I guess I’m just into gadgets. I would say I don’t use it too often. I use my car mainly for work and back, so there’s no actual “need” for it during the work week, as I don’t travel on business. As far as the A/C controls being integrated with the Navi, this is not a big problem for me. I rarely control the fans manually. I just set the temperature and let the climate control do its job.

I first got intrigued with the Navigation when I saw it on my sister’s Lexus GS300. Their system seems a little more sophisticated, as even the radio controls are integrated onto the touch screen. The only drawback is that you can’t map new destinations while the car is in Drive.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:41 PM
Racer

defently worth it!!!

It's more than just finding your way back. if you don't go out of your home area maybe its not but i do alot of traveling in areas that i don't normally go and its great for finding gas stations ATM's and deciding on places to eat. i use it all the time. and just about every one i my family has one. acura's is the best one i've used so far.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:01 PM
3rd Gear

Love it! I abuse it.

I turn it on every time I drive. I use it to gauge exactly how much distance I need to go before making a turn.

Don't like pushing "OK" button every time I turn on the ignition.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:16 PM
Instructor

I love mine. I don't use it very often but when I do it works great. I use it to find restaurants, etc. If I had it to do over I would get it again.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:38 PM
Instructor

When I bought my CL-P I didn't get it thought it wasn't worth the price. When I traded that car in for the TL-S, I was planning on getting it with the navi. What changed my mind? It couldn't find my home. When I put in my address in, it could not find it and the place was built 10 years ago.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:01 PM
Rod
Drifting

I didn't get it because it really isn't a necessity to me since I'm good with directions and don't travel out of South Florida frequently. I also thought $2,000 was too much for it. I do regret not getting it though. Even though it's not a necessity, it's a nice toy I wish I would've gotten, but $2,000 does seem a bit overpriced IMO. It really does take the car's interior to another level though, makes it look much better. If I had to do it again, I'd get the navi and have it play video too. I'm sure that it's one of those things that seem gimmicky when you first see it, but once you have one and use all its little features, it'll become a necessity.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Didn't get it and don't regret it. I plan on keeping my CL-S about 7-10 years and the system would be well obsolete by then.

But then again for long trips I use my minivan with tv/vcr/dvd/playstation/mini-fridge. May get a navi for that, but most likely will get a portable one for either my Palm Computer or laptop.

Talked to a guy at a car place last week, the audiovox units next year will be hooked up to show traffic congestion ahead and give alternate routes. Don't know how it will work, maybe some type of service??
I do like the new Alpine 3d display systems.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Is 260hp really worth it?

YES!!
Old 08-01-2001, 06:40 PM
Ace rider

Aside from the speed of the car, the Nav is my second favorite thing about the car, no doubt. It makes the interior more luxurious, and less Accord-like. It has saved my ass a million times too, not to mention countless hours saved by NOT looking up, printing and reading maps while driving, and never getting lost. Gas stations and ATMs are shown directly on the map..well I could go on and on about the extra features besides just being a map, so I'd suggest you sit in a car with one and with someone who knows how to use it. I don't agree with the previous post in that it will be obsolete, hell in 7-10 years, anything can become obsolete right?! Right now it's up to date as can be, and you can get new upgrades every 6 months. 2k on a 5 year loan isn't all that much more I think...nothing against non-nav CL's, some people just don't need one where they live and drive.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by WëbTðkér:
<STRONG>I think the feature I use the most is the ability to find different locations of a store or the phone number.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: WëbTðkér ]</STRONG>

YOU have nailed some features that I'm really loving these days -- it saves a lot of money on 411 (information) calls.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Got it, love it.

People getting in my car love it.

Yeah, you can keep maps and print out maps and/or directions, but now you don't need to!
And that makes life so much easier. You don't need ugly maps lying around your classy car.

And when someone asks if you need directions, there's nothing quite like getting a big grin and saying, "No, I don't need them." and then whoever goes 'oh yeah...... I love your car!'

For someone like me who tends to get lost a lot, driving is MUCH more enjoyable knowing you'll never get lost/off-route.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:27 AM
Ace rider

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
[QB]Got it, love it.

And when someone asks if you need directions, there's nothing quite like getting a big grin and saying, "No, I don't need them." and then whoever goes 'oh yeah...... I love your car!'
QB]
Yes! I get that all the time! "Take the exit..oh that's right you got the CAR!"