navi update 2.20 coming JANUARY

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
navi update 2.20 coming JANUARY

I checked www.acuranavi.com a few weeks ago looking for a 2.11C dvd and they were sold out... I checked back today, 2.11c dvds are back in stock BUT I saw this message.

"The current version is 2.11C, and is available for purchase. The 04 Fall Update DVD (version 2.20) has been delayed, but will be available sometime in January. "
Old 12-07-2004, 04:01 AM
10th Gear

omg thats freaking bullcrap!!! i just upgraded to 2.11c like a month ago!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:19 AM
Instructor

I'm new to this DVD Navi thing. The updates just provide current maps, right? Do they provide any additional functionality as well? What do they typically cost?

Also, I saw in a Acura CL FAQ on another website that the Nav system could play regular dvd's. The two links that it showed were dead though. Is it possible to play a DVD on the Navi system?

EDIT:

I just went to the Acuranavi.com site. Holy smokes, these updates cost a fortune! I am guessing that there are no discounted versions of these, huh?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No the system can not play dvds. If you want dvds to play you have to do a lot of costly updates.

Yeah mainly just current map updates. I am still on my 2001 info and it is still working about 95% of the time. Not worth it unless they do some great updates.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by leroix
"The current version is 2.11C, and is available for purchase. The 04 Fall Update DVD (version 2.20) has been delayed, but will be available sometime in January. "
Cool…..But in Acura fashion, it will probably be more like July…if ever.
I’ll do like last time. Sell my old version on EBAY for 100+ to offset the cost.

Did I mention that I just bought a double layer DVD burner yesterday.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by GOTTSPD
I'm new to this DVD Navi thing. The updates just provide current maps, right? Do they provide any additional functionality as well? What do they typically cost?...
The last major upgrade expanded the number of points of interest substantially. There were also a number of mapping updates, especially in regions that were previously not mapped (some smaller cities/towns).

There really was not a major change in the interface, nor would I expect one in the future.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha, 1st it was "there will be no more navi updates" threads. Now people are complaining there are too many... rofl...

I'm going to complain it's $180, rediculous...
Old 12-07-2004, 08:36 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Why complain?

Acura said from the get-go that the navi will be updated ANNUALLY.

You should be HAPPY they are finally following through on their promise.

If you meant about the price -- yes... complain. $180 is insane. Then again, who knows how much NavTech charges them for the maps and Alpine charges them for the software.

Anyway, I would bet that 2.20 is more of an upgrade for TSX/TL/RL owners than CL/MDX. We got the ghetto old school navi.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Huh i thought they were done with the updates for our gen of navi systems.

I liked the addition of the "unverified routes" and the option for schools and other POI's to show up on the screen, in the last update. I'm sure i'll end up buying this one as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
Huh i thought they were done with the updates for our gen of navi systems.

I liked the addition of the "unverified routes" and the option for schools and other POI's to show up on the screen, in the last update. I'm sure i'll end up buying this one as well.
I've never had an 'unverified route' be useful, but would still upgrade just for the update of the POIs.

Definitely overpriced, but what the hell...
Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by soopa
Why complain?

If you meant about the price -- yes... complain. $180 is insane. Then again, who knows how much NavTech charges them for the maps and Alpine charges them for the software.

Anyway, I would bet that 2.20 is more of an upgrade for TSX/TL/RL owners than CL/MDX. We got the ghetto old school navi.
only the older Navi is still in the 2.xx software versions
all the newer stuff uses 3.xx, except for the RL which uses 4.xx

also i bitched and moaned to Acura about how my software 2.11C sucked and they gave me a complete refund, new Navi system, and let me keep the DVD
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn S
Cool…..But in Acura fashion, it will probably be more like July…if ever.
I’ll do like last time. Sell my old version on EBAY for 100+ to offset the cost.

Did I mention that I just bought a double layer DVD burner yesterday.

Yeah, if it comes out it may not be until next summer if at all!! Let's hope it comes out sometime, the 2.11b was much better than the original DVD.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SiGGy
haha, 1st it was "there will be no more navi updates" threads. Now people are complaining there are too many... rofl...

I'm going to complain it's $180, rediculous...

You shouldn't complain TOO much, the updated DVD for my Alpine nav is $300.

Thank god I'm friends with the Alpine rep who just burns them for me
Old 12-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thedream21479
You shouldn't complain TOO much, the updated DVD for my Alpine nav is $300.

Thank god I'm friends with the Alpine rep who just burns them for me
I wouldnt mind so much if our Navi was as 'smart' as the Alpine one...or that it even had a fraction of the POIs and other extras.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Blackbird baby..

I wonder if the new update will have the updated "marge simpson" voice.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
Why complain?

I'd be happy with any updates for as long as I own the car. otherwise it'd suck driving around and not having an updated system esp if you go somewhere unfamililar to you.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
2001 3.2 CL

Originally Posted by slyraskal
I'd be happy with any updates for as long as I own the car. otherwise it'd suck driving around and not having an updated system esp if you go somewhere unfamililar to you.
I just got 2.11C and am amazed at some of the braindead routing it wants you to do.

Check this out, for instance:

The RIGHT way to go, would be to take the "blue" route. The new navi wanted me to take the "brown" route, through some of the most crowded interchanges in the area.

And no, I wasn't driving in some podunk town, either. I was driving from Oakland, CA to San Francisco.

Amazing!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The world is an imperfect place.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:51 AM
My Member is Registered

You do have to pay attention to where it's trying to guide you, it'snot perfect. But I can tell you all that the system works very well over all. I used it daily all over Maryland to get to destinations that I had never been to before and it got me out of many traffic jams as well. I've found a KFC in west Virginia, a zoo in the mountains, great little places to fish where nobody else had gone, you name it. Also, the latest version- 2.11 is much bette rthan the last versions. Out of over 120 appointments that I had run this year, my Navi found all but two. And they were brand new housing developments. I'm very happy with my Navi.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by lennier
I just got 2.11C and am amazed at some of the braindead routing it wants you to do.

Check this out, for instance:

The RIGHT way to go, would be to take the "blue" route. The new navi wanted me to take the "brown" route, through some of the most crowded interchanges in the area.

And no, I wasn't driving in some podunk town, either. I was driving from Oakland, CA to San Francisco.

Amazing!
I was referring to missing street info, new streets added since the last updated, etc...

I've had problems like you mention as well though, nothing we can do about that, it's only as good as the programmers who made it. Don't blame the map/unit, blame the programmers who made the damn thing and not testing it properly.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Blackbird baby..

Reminds me of when I was in FL a couple years ago.. near Orlando and the "Neverlost" routed me--literally through the swamp to get from a back street to the hotel. I *could* see it through the trees but anything short of an airboat wouldnt've made it.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Registered Douchebag

i checked the websites FAQ, and i read a question that i've been too lazy to search before... i bought my car used, it says to take the car to the dealer to reset the Navi PIN, i sure sombody knows a way to diy...

anybody?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
2001 3.2 CL

Originally Posted by slyraskal
I was referring to missing street info, new streets added since the last updated, etc...

I've had problems like you mention as well though, nothing we can do about that, it's only as good as the programmers who made it. Don't blame the map/unit, blame the programmers who made the damn thing and not testing it properly.
I had a garmin unit (the streetpilot III) semi-permanantly mounted in my last veichle. It's auto-routing was supurb. It even learned when you preferred to take certain roads to others, so i'm spoiled.
I gotta say, tho, even though I just bitched about it, i'm much happier with a "stock" looking navi than something sitting on my dashboard, screaming "STEAL ME!".

The stock navi in my 2001 does well enough.