NAVI screen protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 06:09 PM
dlp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVI screen protection

Any recommendations for clear strips that can protect the screen without desensitizing the touch ability? like on the palm pilot? I already am noticing finger smudges on the screen and would think there has to be a better way to protect it from loose particles on the finger, etc...
Old 03-08-2001, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you (or someone) can find the people who make the clear plastic protection film that goes over cell phone LCD displays for shipping. That stuff would be thin enough, you could remove it when it gets too dirty, then just place another one when required. I always get all of this computer and other electronic stuff that has that clear plastic protection film on it. There have been times when I've left the film/plastic on the unit when I've know that it was going to get beat up.

The stuff I'm thinking off uses static electricity or other method not requiring any glue...

Any clues out there?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Race Director

I'm finding it much easier to constantly clean my Navi screen rather than wrap it in some cheesy, home-made plastic.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-08-2001, 09:41 PM
Advanced

I think the clear plastic would be a good idea, not for cleanliness but for protection from scratches. If anyone has a hook up wiht a sign company maybe they can make some and give us some dimensions/prices.

------------------
'01 Acura CL Type S
Xephyr CAI
Old 03-08-2001, 10:11 PM
Race Director

Ok, a platic cover is available at any of your finer computer/office retail stores, super regionals, nationals (Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max, CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, Good Guys, etc). Look in the pda section, a dozen pack for a buck fifty. You may not be able to clearly see thru or bubbles may develop or the film may turn colour over time due to heat and light. The plastic may start to peel or droop. But you can change them weekly and you can cut them with a pair of cheap scissors to fit your display. A thin piece of plastic will not hamper the Navi's functionality. It won't protect against major scratches but it will protect against the finer dust and grains and air pollution that is abundant in so most major urban cities. Be sure to keep your fingernails trimmed too because this will put fine scratches in the screen too with all those key presses that go on day after day after day. I know of no industrial strength plastic that will be perfect for the Navi, I'm sure the Navi's original screen is designed to be scratch-proof under normal conditions. However, after my first scratch, just like with my rims, I am careful that nothing touches my screen except a clean finger[print]. That's not so difficult.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-09-2001, 05:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Ok, a platic cover is available at any of your finer computer/office retail stores, super regionals, nationals (Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max, CompUSA, Office Depot, Staples, Good Guys, etc). Look in the pda section, a dozen pack for a buck fifty. You may not be able to clearly see thru or bubbles may develop or the film may turn colour over time due to heat and light. The plastic may start to peel or droop. But you can change them weekly and you can cut them with a pair of cheap scissors to fit your display. A thin piece of plastic will not hamper the Navi's functionality. It won't protect against major scratches but it will protect against the finer dust and grains and air pollution that is abundant in so most major urban cities. Be sure to keep your fingernails trimmed too because this will put fine scratches in the screen too with all those key presses that go on day after day after day. I know of no industrial strength plastic that will be perfect for the Navi, I'm sure the Navi's original screen is designed to be scratch-proof under normal conditions. However, after my first scratch, just like with my rims, I am careful that nothing touches my screen except a clean finger[print]. That's not so difficult.

</font>
Heck, they even gave us that cleaning cloth that I never use

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-09-2001, 02:01 PM
dlp
Instructor

I am going to look into a few ideas this weekend and will post back to this. I have the little cloth too, but I would rather not feel compelled to always wipe it down. I already tried contacting Concept Kitchen (they make the Palm Pilot WriteRight product) in SF, but they said they could not help me. The key is to look for something made of low-tack or no-tack plastic. The last thing I want is to put something off that messes up the screen when u peel it away...
Old 03-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I just use a hankerchef, works great removes all my fingerprints and no scratches.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.