My XSPower headers DONOT resonate (it was the heatsheild)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:51 PM
CL Noob...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm all for promoting your product, but playing the "i told you so" game gets a bit old. We all know Comptech makes a higher quality product, but the reason many people went with these headers isn't because they were misinformed or duped into buying them. They wanted to save money and get BASICALLY the same product. Besides, I'll accept a little resonance to save over half a grand...

There's my asshole...i mean opinion...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Everyone can argue their point and like was said, opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one. But the end of the matter is: Comptech headers are hands down a phenomenal product and they were the first to do all the work. XS Power are a cheap alternative. Comptech are expensive but their worth is all in the eye of the beholder. Some people are willing to pay for perfection and reliability and peace of mind. Others are willling to take the chance with cheaper headers. There is nothing wrong with either option or opinion.

On a side note CT is not going to lower their price anymore. These headers cost them a lot to make. I spoke to them personally about it at SEMA. They pay their welders top dollar and the headers are CARB certified. CARB certification is big dollars, thick stainless steel is expensive, and their welders are paid well.
Originally Posted by c0v3rr1d3
here are some pics
had two friends of mine look at them, one builds his own headers/turbo manifolds etc and he saw these and couldn't get over that they where actually good quality especially with the 3/8 flanges and the grinding out of the welds inside the pipes also.

the othere is a diesel mechanic and also agreed that they look like good quality and its not cheap stainless either

The pics are from this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140232

Seems as if the welds on the XS headers are pretty good and they seems to not use crappy metal.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:25 AM
3-piece FTW

I'm sure not ALL XSPower resonantes, but it sure seems like luck of the draw. On the other hand, I'm on my second set of Comptechs. No problems, period.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my XS power headers rock. if they break I will buy the comptechs. so far i highly recomend them.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jproy
my XS power headers rock. if they break I will buy the comptechs. so far i highly recomend them.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Installed mine yesterday......so far I love them,took the car on a empty road and gunned it no resonance at all.Great pick up for 160$..........Based on the feedback of this company might make sense to buy soon,since the more batches they make who knows about quality by that time.Also the jerk might raise the prices
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Anyone got any technical data as far as the differences between the XS and Comptech headers. I keep hearing that CT uses thicker and better steel for their headers, can someone provide that info? Excelerate? Since you seem to be the one that keeps sayin that.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by mefromuic
Anyone got any technical data as far as the differences between the XS and Comptech headers. I keep hearing that CT uses thicker and better steel for their headers, can someone provide that info? Excelerate? Since you seem to be the one that keeps sayin that.
You should man up and be the first to find the information, try contacting them but from what I remember reading from another member there customer service sucksss. Good luck
Old 07-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Can I add, look at the resale of comptech headers.... You might pay 1000 bucks, but most used comptech headers can be sold 3 years later for 500-600 dollars.

I know you can't say that about any other headers on the market.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phesto
Installed mine yesterday......so far I love them,took the car on a empty road and gunned it no resonance at all.Great pick up for 160$..........Based on the feedback of this company might make sense to buy soon,since the more batches they make who knows about quality by that time.Also the jerk might raise the prices
what's interesting is that if you go to their site http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1424 you can buy the same headers for $370 but yet they sell them on ebay starting at $125. Odd isn't it.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM
MP90 uninstalled

who gives a crap. they were 150 not 1050 and if they break and i replace them three times they are still less than half as much as comptech. they work and I love them. most of the people who report resonance did the install themselves and it is actualy the piece banging or something else installer related. mine still rock and I am sick of the bashing. when mass reports from qualified installers or reputable owners begine to flow in, not just one, then a thread like this should be started. OMFG, come one, one example, and we dont even know if they were installed correctly.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Getting mine installed this afternoon, I'll report back if they resonate or not. Even if they do, who cares.... It was $150 bucks for me!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^
ditto, getting mine installed today as well
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Here's some more fuel to this fire.

I did a XS Power header install like 2 weeks ago with a buddy of mine who has tons of experience. It took us about 6 hours taking our time and buying replacement bolts and nuts because we stripped some.

The supplied nuts and bolts are absolute garbage.

I get resonance around 2500RPM I think at half that as well.
I didn't notice any of the other harmonics.

I agree that it can get annoying and makes the car sound cheap, but I took the risks knowingly and I'm not about to regret what I did.

I do think that others should know this before they make a purchase though.

Anything gripe I have is the welds could be a bit cleaner, but for $150 what more can I ask for??
Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Advanced

who gives a crap. they were 150 not 1050 and if they break and i replace them three times they are still less than half as much as comptech. they work and I love them. most of the people who report resonance did the install themselves and it is actualy the piece banging or something else installer related. mine still rock and I am sick of the bashing. when mass reports from qualified installers or reputable owners begine to flow in, not just one, then a thread like this should be started. OMFG, come one, one example, and we dont even know if they were installed correctly.

Your welcome to come check my install anytime you want. In fact, I would LOVE for you to come check out my install then show me the problem - it's not like I want the headers to resonate. I created this post to inform the board of the resonance in my XSpower headers, and possibly get some feedback on what could possibly fix the resonance. Then you post trash like this.

Matter of fact I would love for you to come show me your install, drive your car and let me hear if they are as clean as you say they are. Also let you hear the resonance in my car - then tell me the difference. Your in Layfette - only a few hours away from Dallas. PM me if your interested.

I don't think Comptech's headers are worth the price which is why I bought these. HOWEVER I would not want anybody to buy a product that they will not be satisfied with - no matter how cheap - which is why I posted the info - you make your own choice after that.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kbc5960
Your welcome to come check my install anytime you want. In fact, I would LOVE for you to come check out my install then show me the problem - it's not like I want the headers to resonate. I created this post to inform the board of the resonance in my XSpower headers, and possibly get some feedback on what could possibly fix the resonance. Then you post trash like this.

Matter of fact I would love for you to come show me your install, drive your car and let me hear if they are as clean as you say they are. Also let you hear the resonance in my car - then tell me the difference. Your in Layfette - only a few hours away from Dallas. PM me if your interested.

I don't think Comptech's headers are worth the price which is why I bought these. HOWEVER I would not want anybody to buy a product that they will not be satisfied with - no matter how cheap - which is why I posted the info - you make your own choice after that.
Well stated...

I am one of the lucky ones who have no resonance issues. My only problem was the gaskets and bolts...that minor issue made my install 4 hours instead of 3 since I had to go back to the store a couple of times to buy stuff.

Once again I'll say this. This is the best part $$$ wise that I have installed on my car to date. I have an Injen CAI, UR pulley, Comptech exhaust (with no resonators) H&R Sports, Tokico Blues, Eibach sways, and replaced the DC headers with the XS headers. For $150 and the gains/performance you will get you can't beat this.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Over time issues will arrise with these headers, as they did with the OBX, just a matter of time.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
All you bearers of bad news. For $150 bucks, I don't doubt that any of these people think they are getting a lifetime product. I have the Comptechs, but thats cause I want reliability and don't have time to deal with working on my car. I wanted 1 install and 1 install only, with the comptechs atleast I am almost guaranteed that.

But once again, I have to bring up resale value, when I sell my $1050 dollar headers for $600 when I part out my car. I get 3 years of reliability for only $450.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
MP90 uninstalled

kbc5960,
chill out buddy,
I actually have one of my best frineds and his wife who live in dallas and drive there often. I would be more then happy to come check your install if you like. you can even listen to mine. i probably wont be there for another two to three months but I will let you know. I am not trying to get a rise out of you either. I also understand that these headers are more than likely going to fail at some point. if they do who cares, and if they dont great. I do work on my car and wont mind swapping headers if this one fails and I will probably go comptech if these do fail. I see that soneone who cant do an install themself or doesnt like getting dirty could get screwed. if i insulted your intelegence I appolagize.

having said that,
you seem to be one of two or three who have a resonance problem and some of the guys who claim resonance actualy have something banging on something else which is not exhaust resonance by my definition. I had a '95 accord 5mt with a muffler and let me tell you that sucker resonated. at 3500 rpm on the highway it was horrible. I just dont think it was fair of you to title your post "XS power headers do resonated" when there have been many more installs with no resonance. it is misimformative to others on the board and mine dont. there is nothing cheap sounding about my exhaust note or I would have removed them in a sec. I do think that it is possible you got a bad set but I think you should take that up with SS autochrome. once again I would be happy to meet you or even talk on the phone with you about you install if it will help you. that is why this board is here. you may just need a new gasket or somethinkg is out of line or lose bolts. did you use a torque wrench and torque to spec?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
just got my car back from the shop...headers are fine, no resonance...another happy XSpower header owner
Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have resonance only when the headers are cold, after 15-20 seconds the sound goes away. Yet again, I bought my Megan headers for 100 even on Ebay. When I have the money I might go with Comptech. I dunno. But I am happy with the horsepower gains though. The extra power throughout the entire band is pretty nice. The TIG welds are very clean which is surprising for the price.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

try the str8 pipe fix ,if you want to keep your megans
Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

try the str8 pipe fix ,if you want to keep your megans
Really?? Take the last resonator out ASAP?

hmmmm
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Advanced

No problem JPROY. PM me when you plan to come to Dallas again. It would make for good trouble shooting to have 2 CLs with the same header manufacturer. If I have not been able to resolve the problem by the time your in the area again, we can get together.

I did take about an hour last night to check all the nuts/bolts to make sure they were still tight. Only found one on the front header that needed about half a turn - all the rest were good. I also checked underneath to make sure the headers were not touching the engine anywhere. Everthing looked clean. Drove the car today - no difference.

One last thing - to be fair - the post's title is "MY xspower headers do resonate". The key word in that title is "MY" - it refers to my headers and mine alone.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Pokin Holes In Tacoma

got mine put in today and so far they are great, no complaints on my side at all!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:56 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Ok, ok..... in fairness to you you did say "my". I will let you know when I head that way as the feeling is mutual about two cars with the same parts. it would be cool. I will stay in touch.

Jim
Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 PM
MP90 uninstalled

did you use all OEM gaskets? if even one is not OEM I would try replacing all of them with OEM. Some have had to do this with the XS header. the torque specs are 26 ft/lb header to head, 30 ft/lb is what i used header to a-pipe, and 26ft/lb a-pipe to cat converter FYI only. I know someone who had resonance and had to replace the XS supplied O-ring gaskets for the header to a-pipe connections and problem solved. it is worth a try.

jim
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kbc5960

the first batch of comptech headers had a resonance problem that they suggested resolving by putting the car on a lift and dissconnecting the down pipe from the CAT and rotating the pipe in as big a circle as possible flexing the "flex" section...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I do think that it is possible you got a bad set but I think you should take that up with SS autochrome.
If you get SS Auto Chrome to give you any semblance of customer service I will be absolutely amazed. You may have gotten decent headers at a good price but you will not be getting any sort of customer service from them or refunds/replacements; at least that is what I am told from virtually every customer who has ever dealt with them.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Photoshop Junkie

I just posted another thread, but I too got mine installed today and no resonance. And love 'em so far (even though they may be installed wrong).
Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced

I got mine installed last night. There was a fitment issue with mine, as the flange wasn't completely flat against the block It was fixed though, and now I am a happy customer!

I am fully aware that this won't be a lifetime product, and it's quality isn't up to par with comptechs. But for 150 bucks I couldn't care less, it works and has the same gains.

I do notice a little something @ ~2200-2500 RPM but it doesn't bother me at all. I like the fact that the car is now a little louder and the exhaust sounds great.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Advanced

I did not use all the OEM gaskets. I reused the OEM header gaskets, but used the ring gaskets supplied by SSautochrome.

After getting the resonance, I did purchase the OEM ring gaskets last week and will hopefully be able to put those on this weekend (if I can get some time).

I was also thinking of buying some generic gaskets that can be cut to a specific shape and using those on the flanges that contain the ring gaskets. I would cut them to go along the outside of the ring gaskets. So they don't interfere with the ring gaskets themselves but will supply some extra padding between the flanges. My idea is they would give me some extra dampening along the length of the headers (at each connection).

I will also try flexing the flex section when I pull these off. It does seem the more flexible this section, the more it would dampen any vibrations.

Any other ideas from anyone?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Really?? Take the last resonator out ASAP?

hmmmm
I dont mean remove resonator and replace with a straight pipe...............Remove 2nd flex pipe from megans and replace with a straight pipe.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
MP90 uninstalled

kbc,
keep us updated. i am curious what this will do for your situation.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that many of the people with XS headers do have slight leaks along with the resonance and don't even know it which would affect overall power gains.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ I agree with you sort of,but I had megans so I for sure know what resonance sounds like.So far my XS headers are great,compared to megans of course.And if you cant hear/smell a leak then you should'nt be getting headers,better to stay stock and have piece of mind.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
I'd be willing to bet that many of the people with XS headers do have slight leaks along with the resonance and don't even know it which would affect overall power gains.
Ok... That's why they've been dyno proven twice now.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I dont mean remove resonator and replace with a straight pipe...............Remove 2nd flex pipe from megans and replace with a straight pipe.
Gotcha...thanks man!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Alrighty fellas,

I want to update this thread so if anybody ever searches this thread in the future, they find the solution. I was able to get under the car this weekend and resolve the problem - it was the heat shield vibrating.

To make a long story short, the heat shield just after the "A pipe" had one of the screws fall off. In my initial install, I did not tighten those screws as much as I would have liked (had a hard time getting to the one of the back screws). Anyway, that same screw worked itself out. The resonance had been getting worse over time - so it all makes sense now. As the noise got worse, I was finally able to crawl unde the car and hear it while my wife blipped the throttle - made it easy to find the culprit.

I bought a new screw to replace the one that fell out, and tightened the others nice and tight. No more metalic resonance. There is still a growl at 2400 rpm, but not the metalic ring that came with it before. The growl is not bad (kind of sounds cool). I am now a satisfied consumer of these headers.

I did not replace any of the gaskets - I did not have to. To be safe, I am keeping that extra set I bought from the dealership.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Good to hear!!

Quick Reply: My XSPower headers DONOT resonate (it was the heatsheild)