My wife bought me a set of Comptech sways!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 06:07 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
My wife bought me a set of Comptech sways!!

Talk about a surprise! I told her how a lot of you kept going on and on about the night and day difference in handling between the stock and Comptech sway sets. My birthday is coming up next week and she decides to surprise me. I can't wait to install them!!! You guys have convinced me that the CLS will be that much more fun to drive with the new sway bars. Thanks for all of your reviews after your installs, they pretty much sold me on the upgrade.

------------------
'01 CLS San Marino Red/Ebony
Spoiler
Comptech Springs
Old 04-16-2001, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Speed_Racer:
Talk about a surprise! I told her how a lot of you kept going on and on about the night and day difference in handling between the stock and Comptech sway sets. My birthday is coming up next week and she decides to surprise me. I can't wait to install them!!! You guys have convinced me that the CLS will be that much more fun to drive with the new sway bars. Thanks for all of your reviews after your installs, they pretty much sold me on the upgrade.

</font>
Sounds good. Let us know how ya like them once they are installed.
Old 04-27-2001, 06:50 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Only got the rear bar on so far and all I can say is WOW!!! The steering is so direct now and lean is non existant. I know what you guys were saying when you said it feels
"planted". Don't know if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels like all 4 tires are moving in the same direction as opposed to catching up with the front. I can only imagine it getting better once I get the front on. My brother put it on for me but didn't have time to put the front on. We're planning to finish it this weekend. I was so excited to test drive it I drove to a nearby freeway interchange and ran on all 4 clover leafs 3 times. I couldn't get enough. My next change is going to be the tires. Even though I felt secure and flat on the curves, the squelling tires made me hold back a little. I'm assuming I shouldn't screw anything up by driving now with only the rear sway bar changed right?? Please let me know if you think this may cause problems. Thanks again for everyone's past comments on the sway bars. I never would have thought about changing them if it wasn't for the few of you that did.

------------------
Spoiler
Comptech Springs
Old 04-27-2001, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
shit, your wife have a sister i can have??
Old 04-27-2001, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Does you wife offer seminars to other wives on how to buy gifts for their husbands? If so, let me know.

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

"All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them."
Matthew 7:12
Old 04-27-2001, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
Does you wife offer seminars to other wives on how to buy gifts for their husbands? If so, let me know.

</font>
Instead of Tupperware parties, lets have car-part parties, hosted by our gfs and wives!!!

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-27-2001, 07:51 PM
acurreo

When you installed the sways, did you jack up your car so the weight was on the jack, rather than the chassis?

------------------
Confused Individual
Old 04-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Pro

Dude, your wife kicks ass. I get shirts and ties.
Old 04-27-2001, 08:06 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

I wonder though what she expects for her birthday. I better come up with something good. . .

------------------
Spoiler
Comptech Springs
Old 04-27-2001, 08:07 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

majeed,

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. My brother did the actual install while I was at work. He said he used two jack stands to hold the rear up as he did it. I'm assuming he would put them at the jack points. . .

------------------
Spoiler
Comptech Springs
Old 04-27-2001, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Now thats what i call a wife/gf.

Need to train the rest of them (women) to be like this one.

I think I would shit a brick if my girlfriend would buy me headers....

------------------
01' CL Type-S, Navigation, Spoiler
4% tint on the backs and 34% on the fronts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (2" Drop)
AEM Cold Air Intake
Old 04-27-2001, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Speed_Racer:
Only got the rear bar on so far and all I can say is WOW!!! The steering is so direct now and lean is non existant. I know what you guys were saying when you said it feels
"planted". Don't know if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels like all 4 tires are moving in the same direction as opposed to catching up with the front. I can only imagine it getting better once I get the front on. My brother put it on for me but didn't have time to put the front on. We're planning to finish it this weekend. I was so excited to test drive it I drove to a nearby freeway interchange and ran on all 4 clover leafs 3 times. I couldn't get enough. My next change is going to be the tires. Even though I felt secure and flat on the curves, the squelling tires made me hold back a little. I'm assuming I shouldn't screw anything up by driving now with only the rear sway bar changed right?? Please let me know if you think this may cause problems. Thanks again for everyone's past comments on the sway bars. I never would have thought about changing them if it wasn't for the few of you that did.

</font>
The rear gets the biggest boost -- I figured out the "real" increase in a post back a few weeks ago. The back increase is more like 80% or something, not the 130% that Comptech claims (the 130% is the increase for the CL), and the CLS has a bigger bar in back, so less increase.

The front is only slightly stiffer. It has the same diameter, but it is slightly thicker. I think it was 0.177 thick vs 0.107 (but I just don't remember, I need to look up a Maple worksheet I had laying around from some other work).

The front is only a little bit stiffer, but you will like it.

You should be safe, I was concerned about the switch to oversteer, but the car is so front heavy, that it all works out just right.

(I could give your more reasons, but ...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-27-2001).]