My V1 is on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Grammar Police

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My V1 is on the way...

Hey, finally broke down and bought a brand-new V1... It's going to be here on Friday, can't wait. I got the little concealed display thing too -- any suggestions on where to put it?

I've never had a radar detector before, so I'm kinda concerned that if I _DO_ get pulled over for something, the cop will definitely fuck me over if he sees it. What do you guys tell your "officer" when he stops you and sees the thing?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:52 AM
My other car is a 350Z

I just got my V1 about 4 weeks ago AFTER (Doh!) getting my first ever speeding ticket in 26 years of driving.

I have my V1 mounted on the passenger's side sun visor. You can take it out of site fairly quickly (after you disconnect the power cord from the side) by sliding it off the mount bracket. Or you can really just tilt the sun visor forward and it is out of site from someone looking in to the car from either front window, and damn near invisible from the front because it is almost completely blocked by the tinted portion of the windshield.

I also got the remote display and have it mounted on the steering column. Mounting it there, using the velcro "quick lock" tape stuff they provide, it is quick and easy to remove if necessary.

Drive on!.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Just curious what made you guys go with the V1 over the new Bel. I was debating between the two and wonder what pushed you for the V1
Old 04-25-2002, 01:14 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by MattR97
Just curious what made you guys go with the V1 over the new Bel. I was debating between the two and wonder what pushed you for the V1
dont fall to marketing ploys ... i have tried them all ... the v1 is superious
Old 04-25-2002, 01:24 AM
My other car is a 350Z

1) Recommendations from current V1 owners; 2) Magazine reviews
Old 04-25-2002, 06:57 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V1 is the only way to go. ONLY. There isn't another product that will give you the direction of the signal. Congrats on your purchase
Old 04-25-2002, 07:02 AM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Originally posted by fbazakos

dont fall to marketing ploys ... i have tried them all ... the v1 is superious
superious?

Yes, it is superior
Old 04-25-2002, 07:06 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by KCheng

superious?

Yes, it is superior

It's a Greek thing
Old 04-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

I have my V1 on the drivers side visor (I take it out every night). I have put the V1 away un-noticed after getting pulled over. But, my windows are tinted.

The remote display is on the A-Pillar. Never have to take my eyes off the road.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Team Owner

V1 is the BEST you can buy.
Here is how mine is mounted with the remote on the steering column.
Check out the "Garage" area of the Forum for my "Hard-Wire" instructions.

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002, 10:59 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

how much does the valentine cost? and how much time do you have to react usually? like say your going 20 over, and it goes off, how do you avoid gettin zapped big time?
Old 04-25-2002, 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by ItalianStallion
how much does the valentine cost? and how much time do you have to react usually? like say your going 20 over, and it goes off, how do you avoid gettin zapped big time?
399 and I believe the remote was an additional 39 bucks.

There’s no real way to answer the second part of your question. It’s different every time.
If they’re using “Instant-ON” there’s no detector in the world that will give you enough warning.
The object of the V1 is it has an AWESOME front sensing range and will usually give you plenty of warning as traffic is getting “ZAPPED” up ahead.

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Here is how I mounted mine:

And here is how I ran the wire for the concealed display:
Old 04-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Pro

I bought one of the first V1s because it was the Best!! And after selling the old ones and buying new ones instead of upgrading, I still think it's one of the top three. Everyone can toot their horn on range, stealth, lasers, gps, LED for radar types, etc. (and Mike V. may be thinking of that value added crap), but I'm use to the function and performance of V1. Change is sometimes bad.

Beep the radar type, tell me how many and tell me where.

I don't like the clicks and chirps of that other brand (if they still do that). Some brands have marques displaying what radar type. Who has time to read.

All in All, get one of the top three if you plan for recreational driving.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

The best thing about V1 is when I got hit by a strong K or Ka, V1 goes crazy and I immediate drop to the midlle lane FAST!

Oh lazer hit is freaking scary too ... good thing it's very rare
Old 04-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Grammar Police

Hey Shawn and the other people who posted pictures -- for all of you it seems like the main detector is behind the big dark tint band on the windshield... I've read like 30 places on the V1 site that you're never supposed to do that, because it's bad for radar and absolutely destroys laser detection....

Shouldn't it be lower on your windshield?

I'm going to be tempted to put my concealed disp between my speedo and my fuel/temp gages too I guess.... On the steering column seems like it's just too low, too big of an eye span between road level and all the way to center of wheel.

Where on the A-pillar did you wind up putting it? How high?

And how'd you mount it, since the a-pillar is always parallel to the line of vision... (not perpendicular like wheel/dash/etc). Did you attach a sticky pad to the side of the module or something?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I read those warnings too about not putting the unit behind the tint but I have to say I haven't had any problems so far. The thing continues to find everything, and it's even picked up lasers!
Old 04-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Mine is just barely into the bottom of the tint and it works fine.
I think the ACURA tint isn’t as bad as other cars for blocking signals.
I have my EZ-Pass (Electronic toll tag) placed ENTIRELY behind the tint "dots" on the other side of the mirror and it works fine.

As for the remote location, I put it there so it is close to my speedo.
When I get an alarm, I can quickly glance down to check my speed and check the direction of the signal at the same time.

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
My remote unit is located in the same place as Shawn's and the detector itself is located over on the passenger's side, under the sun visor. The sensor is just below the tint line.... actually right on the line. Perfect line of sight forward and back.

I purchased the V1 b/c of all of the reviews on this board. I have a Whistler remote mount before which was good, but I hate the false alarms. With the V1, I still get them (b/c I leave it unfiltered), but with the numbers and arrows, I can tell if an alarm is false or really a cop. It's worth it all the way.....
Old 04-25-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Kkranghkar

Where on the A-pillar did you wind up putting it? How high?

And how'd you mount it, since the a-pillar is always parallel to the line of vision... (not perpendicular like wheel/dash/etc). Did you attach a sticky pad to the side of the module or something?
A little above the middle. I made a bracket that attaches behind the cover. The bracket is bent in two places to compensates for the angle of the a-pillar and angle of the cover. It provides a small tab to mount the display on.

Attached the bracket on the backside of the cover with double sided tape.

Display is held on the bracket with a the screw in the 'interlocking fastener'. It has two pre-drilled holes. The display slides onto the fastener.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

Just reading this thread about all of the installation methods I come to the conclusion:

Isn’t it amazing how creative we can get when it comes to finding ways to break the law.

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Shawn S
Isn’t it amazing how creative we can get when it comes to finding ways to break the law.
I saw pics of a V1 mounted inside a fake 3rd brake light on an NSX ... display in an AC vent.
talk about creative
Old 04-25-2002, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Bluto

I saw pics of a V1 mounted inside a fake 3rd brake light on an NSX ... display in an AC vent.
talk about creative
Funny you mention that.
I had actually considered modifying that “bump” on our rear parcel shelf and putting the V1 back there facing forward through the car..
Since I have the brake light in the spoiler I was going to GUT the bulbs and housing for it.

I proposed this idea to Mike Valentine and he advised against it.
He said the front sensing would be reduced too much.
Something about the “cone angle” if I remember correctly.
Too much would be blocked by the seats & occupants inside the car.

I guess for TRUE “stealth like” protection, you would need one front AND back, but then the arrow display on the remote would present a problem.
Not to mention another 400-dollars.

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002, 02:36 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Bluto

talk about creative
I'm doing this when I get my windows tinted. So basically, I'll have two v1's one for the front and one for the back. It's expensive but I need to tint my windows to keep the car cool and slow down damage to the leather. I'll have two remote displays mounted on my steering wheel.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata

I'm doing this when I get my windows tinted. So basically, I'll have two v1's one for the front and one for the back. It's expensive but I need to tint my windows to keep the car cool and slow down damage to the leather. I'll have two remote displays mounted on my steering wheel.
ummm... my windows are tinted and I have one V1 mounted on the windshield as mentioned above and it works fine. I pick up signals through the rear window fine. Why waste the money on another V1??
Old 04-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by juniorbean
ummm... my windows are tinted and I have one V1 mounted on the windshield as mentioned above and it works fine. I pick up signals through the rear window fine. Why waste the money on another V1??
Yes, stay away from METALLIC tint and your SINGLE V1 and NAV will function just fine.

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002, 03:41 PM
Grammar Police

I _LOVE_ package tracking.... Can't live without it! It makes waiting for your stuff so much easier:

----------------
Code:
UPS PACKAGE PROGRESS 

Date   Time     Location                   Activity 
Apr 25, 2002
    3:47 P.M.   SUNNYVALE, CA, US          IN TRANSIT TO          :D :D 
    3:46 P.M.   LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US    DEPARTURE SCAN 
    12:30 P.M.  GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US     LOCATION SCAN 
    12:08 P.M.  GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US     UNLOAD SCAN 
    10:16 A.M.  GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US     ARRIVAL SCAN 
    4:29 A.M.   COLUMBUS, OH, US           DEPARTURE SCAN 
    12:46 A.M.  COLUMBUS, OH, US           UNLOAD SCAN 

Apr 24, 2002
    11:12 P.M.  COLUMBUS, OH, US           ARRIVAL SCAN 
    8:46 P.M.   SHARONVILLE, OH, US        DEPARTURE SCAN 
    6:39 P.M.   SHARONVILLE, OH, US        ORIGIN SCAN 

Tracking results provided by UPS: Apr 25, 2002  4:20 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)
Old 04-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Race Director

You know. I'm almost not so concerned as much with instant on as I use to be. With so many people on the road, it's very difficult to be the first target within the last 5 minutes (except of course at 3am on a lonely country backwood's road).

On a recent roadtrip to Chicago, I can't tell you how many times I beat the instant on radar. Twice, I beat it clean. The first beeps I received, the radar was pointed at me; I was the first car. Reacting quickly and hard braking = no ticket. Did I get clocked speeding and the cop just decided to not get me? Perhaps. But I think I know the real answer....

Before I tell you, let me say that in fact I beat at least a dozen cops where they just couldn't stand down on the instant-on long enough to let me be the first target. This was way too prevalent in Illinois. Those "new" State Police Novas or whatever they drive now? The State Police officers must be new at this too because on a long flat freeway (the East-West Tollway), they honestly felt like they could clock a car on the flat road and then five minutes later on the same "flat" road, try to instant on me? I picked him up five minutes ago, duh. So this is why I was able to beat instant on even when I was the first: IL State Police waits entirely too long to clock you. I pickup a few beep, I slow down, then I start looking, I know he's coming. So I see that white car and black grill, moving slowly in the #1 lane, approaching me (I'm doing the speed limit). I see you! Why aren't you clocking me---yet? Now where's only 100 feet apart, I could have easily slowed down by now after getting a first visual, NOW he clocks me. It's too late, whether I was going 65 or 95 mph. So when I was the first, I just hit the brakes, by the time the Trooper tried to clock me which is when our doors are side by side hell it's too late dude.

So the cops just don't really care. If they pull you over and see the radar detector, they don't care because they honestly believe those things don't work anyway. They catch cars with radar detectors and without radar detectors, it's all the same to them. Whether you get ticketed or now probably won't depend on what's in your windshield, at least that hasn't been my experience. Only once did a Trooper ask to check my detector to see if a serial number was readable on my unit.

BTW, my top speed in Iowa just south[bound] of Des Moines on I-35, I hit 135 mph and this car is freakin' scary at that speed with stock tires, a windy day, a straight road, and over 51,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Re: My V1 is on the way...

I've never had a radar detector before, so I'm kinda concerned that if I _DO_ get pulled over for something, the cop will definitely fuck me over if he sees it. What do you guys tell your "officer" when he stops you and sees the thing?
I've gotten tickets three times with the radar unit in plain site. They don't seem to care and rarely ask. One motorcycle cop said, 'so, did your detector go off?' as he was writing the ticket. (P.S. Those were years ago - haven't been tagged with the V1 since I got it last year).
Old 04-25-2002, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

No range issues at all with it behind the windshield tint band.
I ran into a local speed trap about a year back, and made about a dozen passes with the V1 mounted in various spots, and also got a great chance to play with all the settings. Great educational experience, and the trooper seemed to also be playing with his instant on for several of my passes. It is good to know how to read a potential instant on trap.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Darth Chocolate

I _LOVE_ package tracking.... Can't live without it! It makes waiting for your stuff so much easier:

----------------
Code:
UPS PACKAGE PROGRESS 

Date   Time     Location                   Activity 
Apr 25, 2002
    3:47 P.M.   SUNNYVALE, CA, US          IN TRANSIT TO          :D :D 
    3:46 P.M.   LOUISVILLE INTL, KY, US    DEPARTURE SCAN 
    12:30 P.M.  GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US     LOCATION SCAN 
    12:08 P.M.  GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US     UNLOAD SCAN 
    10:16 A.M.  GRADE LANE HUB, KY, US     ARRIVAL SCAN 
    4:29 A.M.   COLUMBUS, OH, US           DEPARTURE SCAN 
    12:46 A.M.  COLUMBUS, OH, US           UNLOAD SCAN 

Apr 24, 2002
    11:12 P.M.  COLUMBUS, OH, US           ARRIVAL SCAN 
    8:46 P.M.   SHARONVILLE, OH, US        DEPARTURE SCAN 
    6:39 P.M.   SHARONVILLE, OH, US        ORIGIN SCAN 

Tracking results provided by UPS: Apr 25, 2002  4:20 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)
Dang, if you would've told me, I could've picked it up for you at Grade Lane or Lou. Int. I could use a birthday present for my girlfriend.

Congrats on your choice. Even if there are other detectors that are just as "good", you'll come to love the patented direction arrows.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Racer

V1 all the way!!

I just had a cool V1 experience this morning... I posted it in the Race Stories section.... I love knowing how many radar sources and what direction they're coming from. It's really awesome if you typically drive the same route. I have a long drive everyday to school and back (about 40 min.) and I've pretty much memorized all the regular radar sources, usually X-band security systems from gas stations and such.. Cops like to hide by these ambient sources because most detectors just beep. When there's an extra source indicated you know to get on the breaks... My car's not very fast (yet), just a stock 97 3.0, and the V1's already saved me a couple of tickets....
Old 04-26-2002, 04:31 PM
Race Director

Re: V1 all the way!!

Originally posted by infiniteq
I just had a cool V1 experience this morning... I posted it in the Race Stories section.... I love knowing how many radar sources and what direction they're coming from. It's really awesome if you typically drive the same route. I have a long drive everyday to school and back (about 40 min.) and I've pretty much memorized all the regular radar sources, usually X-band security systems from gas stations and such.. Cops like to hide by these ambient sources because most detectors just beep. When there's an extra source indicated you know to get on the breaks... My car's not very fast (yet), just a stock 97 3.0, and the V1's already saved me a couple of tickets....
Before I go read your post in the other section, I just wanted to quickly comment that honestly I don't think cops try to setup speed traps where they can keep their radar signal masked by false alarms. Instead I think they are more concered where they can "hide" the patrol car. They believe that the radar's "instant on" feature alone will defeat most radar detectors. I can't tell you how many cops have told me that "your radar detector is worthless because I have instant-on..." and for the most part, they are absolutely right. Most radar detectors cannot pickup the stray signals from a K/Ka band radar that's on for 1-2 seconds out past 200 yards. Not at all, especially with traffic ahead of you (cars DO block the signal). But the V1 will defeat K/Ka radar! And so will a few other secondary, less efficient subunits like the 8500 and some of those Bel-bottoms.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Instructor

www.540i6.com

granted, an E39 (5-series) specific site but he's got some great V1 install links (I especially like the remote display review mirror)! All I can say about the V1 is I LOVE it! I've had my now ancient model since 1998. Used it in my '00 'Stang GT along with my current ride ('01 Z06) and still have ZERO points on my license! 'Nuff said

There's a link on that site above to a brake light housing install. I absolutely agree with the official Valentine response and don't recommend that at all. The stealth install with the detector "buried" in the overhead console is interesting, but I don't use that. I personally have followed a large number of 'Vette owners on www.corvetteforum.com and just put the detector in front of the rear view mirror. Yes, it blocks LIDAR from the rear, but that's not a real threat axis anyway (the cops zap you from the front with laser). X, K, and Ka seem to pick up fine through the mirror and 35% metallic tint. Remote display is just velcroed on the bottom of the insturment binnacle - as in many of the pics. Wise investment IMHO - enjoy
Old 04-26-2002, 06:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: V1 all the way!!

Originally posted by kensteele

Before I go read your post in the other section, I just wanted to quickly comment that honestly I don't think cops try to setup speed traps where they can keep their radar signal masked by false alarms. Instead I think they are more concered where they can "hide" the patrol car. They believe that the radar's "instant on" feature alone will defeat most radar detectors. I can't tell you how many cops have told me that "your radar detector is worthless because I have instant-on..." and for the most part, they are absolutely right. Most radar detectors cannot pickup the stray signals from a K/Ka band radar that's on for 1-2 seconds out past 200 yards. Not at all, especially with traffic ahead of you (cars DO block the signal). But the V1 will defeat K/Ka radar! And so will a few other secondary, less efficient subunits like the 8500 and some of those Bel-bottoms.
Actually, I don't agree at all. In Chicago they do exactly what he said. They do setup traps like that. And where you live (since I live right next to you in yuppie cow poke ville) drive down ward parkway sometime during rush hour towards the plaza. Prepare for the cops laser gun. And they use laser all over Overland Park. Been shot with it 6-8 times in the last year. However I do agree with you on picking up stray K/KA. But it depends on the model of gun they are using. Some can get a lock on your speed in <1-2 seconds. (most that is)

The higher you have your detector mounted from the ground the better your range will be. As it is line of sight technology. And window tint will definetly effect the sensitivity of the UV laser detection. If you want to catch a small blurb of it anyway, which is your *only* hope.

I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would mount the display anywhere thats not in their line of sight. As I sometimes don't want the hear that thing beeping all of the time. The custom mounts by the guage cluster, and the V1 clipped on the visor are the best IMO.

A friend of mine has a both a KA a K gun (he's a crazy RF engineer/devry teacher/ham radio freak). I'll get with him this summer and test a few things with it. (sensitivity behind the stock tint... and such) I wonder what it does too.... As your radar detector is nothing more than a nice radio receiver for radio frequencys in the range(s) for radar. All sorts of stuff can effect it (mainly metalic materials)

X band (10.525 GHz)
K band (24.150GHz)
KA band (33.4 - 36.0 GHz)
Old 04-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: V1 all the way!!

Originally posted by SiGGy

Actually, I don't agree at all. In Chicago they do exactly what he said. They do setup traps like that. And where you live (since I live right next to you in yuppie cow poke ville) drive down ward parkway sometime during rush hour towards the plaza. Prepare for the cops laser gun. And they use laser all over Overland Park. Been shot with it 6-8 times in the last year. However I do agree with you on picking up stray K/KA. But it depends on the model of gun they are using. Some can get a lock on your speed in <1-2 seconds. (most that is)

So I take it you like and don't like live in OP at the same time?

Yes, I've seen KC police on Ward with radar and laser. They're usually by that big church AND around the bend as you first approach the Plaza; on motorcycle or standing. But there are NO false alarms anywhere along that stretch or anywhere on Ward for that matter. The cops don't know where the false alarms are anyway. They don't have radar detectors.

BTW, I have X-band turned off on my V1. Oh and in case you didn't see, 135th has been a speed trap ALL DAY today, the unmarked purple OP car with the funky lights has been running radar from Quivera to Antioch. It's about time, I do 75-85 in that 45 zone nearly every day.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: V1 all the way!!

Originally posted by kensteele

So I take it you like and don't like live in OP at the same time?

Yes, I've seen KC police on Ward with radar and laser. They're usually by that big church AND around the bend as you first approach the Plaza; on motorcycle or standing. But there are NO false alarms anywhere along that stretch or anywhere on Ward for that matter. The cops don't know where the false alarms are anyway. They don't have radar detectors.

BTW, I have X-band turned off on my V1. Oh and in case you didn't see, 135th has been a speed trap ALL DAY today, the unmarked purple OP car with the funky lights has been running radar from Quivera to Antioch. It's about time, I do 75-85 in that 45 zone nearly every day.
no! thanks, I did notice them after you told me though They always sit up at 435 and quivira too! I think OP police need more money or something Always 5-6 of them up there around lunchtime.

heh, ya I speed down there too. No I like OP, just not the attitude some of the younger peole have (and some of the younger 25-30 adults). It's real nice here in Kansas I've met a lot of great people. I just call it "cow poke ville" I think it's kinda funny. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I have thought about turning my X band off, I really should. I have *never* seen anyone use it. (well, mabye once down the highway in southern Illinois) Have you? (when you did have it turned on)

thanks again!!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: V1 all the way!!

Originally posted by SiGGy

I have thought about turning my X band off, I really should. I have *never* seen anyone use it. (well, mabye once down the highway in southern Illinois) Have you? (when you did have it turned on)
I only keep X-band turned off around town to minimize false alarms. There is no X-band radar in the KC metro area, or at least I didn't encounter any in 2 years so for the last year, I turned it off myself per the instructions on Mike's V1 page.

Whenever I leave town, it's goes back on. There is definitely X-band radar in use in the Northeast.