my rear view explodeD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my rear view explodeD!

So just a few days ago my rear view mirror somehow exploded under the hot sun. I guess the pressure increase was too great for the housing. The dimming "fluid" or whatever got onto the plastic trim underneith and somehow melted the plastic. I am guessing the fluid was most likely organic in composition. Anyone else experience this? I ordered a new mirror from ebay that is supposed to arrive today. Can anyone point me on how to replace the mirror. I tried to buy a biggg ricer mirror to go on top of the busted mirror but nope! it wouldnt even fit over our fat ass mirror. The melted trim piece on around the shifter I might replace later but a functional mirror is more important to me. The mirror off ebay is coming from acura of lynnwood and they say is 2nd gen so no-discoloration etc. hope i dont get taxed on it as it comes across the border

One last thing, has anyone noticed some small rattling going on in their back seat while driving on slightly bumpy roads? I think its that door that gives you access to the trunk. Its driving me NUTS!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Common problem. There was a TSB on it. Many dealers will cover replacement under the extended safety warranty.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if not you can just email them and tell the company that makes it. i have the email if youd like it. took about 3 days to ship. it was free, and suposely your supose to send your old one back but i never did cause mines broke not exploded
Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine exploded like yours and it also got so hot the glue that held my circular close up mirror on the passenger side melted and the mirror flew off. I don't care too much as long as nothing was cracked which it isn't. I'm not trying to win car show awards. It sucks but I can manage without everything 100%.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Common problem. There was a TSB on it. Many dealers will cover replacement under the extended safety warranty.
There was?? What is the number? What is this so called extended safety warranty?

Do a search....common problem with a free replacement from Magna Donnelly, MFG of the mirror. You will need to send the defective one back to them after getting the new one.

Even though the original mirror had problems, at least they stand behind their product, so thumbs up for them on that regard.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Instructor

it is a bitch to get the old mirror off even though you ordered a new one i would suggest just going to the dealership and paying them 75 dollars to install the one you just bought its easier and you don't run the risk of cracking your windshield.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fenixxishot
it is a bitch to get the old mirror off even though you ordered a new one i would suggest just going to the dealership and paying them 75 dollars to install the one you just bought its easier and you don't run the risk of cracking your windshield.
Is that the going rate for the swap? Acura doesnt even honor any warrenty after importing it to Canada. Besides i think my 2001 model doesnt have warrenty anymore. There are only three acura dealerships around the greater vancouver area and I hope ONE of them gives me a decent price. Maybe they will nail me because I didnt buy it from them....
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Instructor

I say, cut your face up with a razor and take em to court!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Advanced

ROLF. i did a search and I seem to get mixed information. Some people say that they dont give out free mirrors anymore

Damn sucks to live in Canada freaking UPS brokerage charges. Funny thing is I drove down to Bellevue today which passes by freaking Lynnwood where the mirror was shipped from. I m gonna call the acura dealerships around here and see what they can do. My rear view is getting pretty blurry from the left over fluid still inside. Maybe I can get it fixed as a safety issue. After my drive today, the maintance required light started to flash... looks like Acura is looking for some money
Old 07-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced

let us know what happens in lynnwood
Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Mine did the same. I wonder how many other people not on this forum it happened to. Obviously not enough to have an actual recall!! Mine exploded a couple of months ago and I still havent replaced it , I guess I'm just lazey.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=darketernal]ROLF. i did a search and I seem to get mixed information. Some people say that they dont give out free mirrors anymore

Contact Dani Andriacchi of Magna Donnelly via email (Dani.Andriacchi@magnadon.com). You will then be sent a form to fill out via email. After you send it back, you'll be sent a new mirror and all shipping charges will be covered. That is how mine happened.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Sweet! thanks djarovsky. Sadly I already ordered mine from ebay. Maybe I can sell the one Magna Donnelly sends me on craigslist or sometihng.

Update: I paid the stupid brokerage fees and got the mirror. I followed the instructions provided by 03silvertypeS and got it done in around 30 mins. Saved 300+ dollars which was what the dealer wanted for it. I also ordered the plastic trim piece for the gated shifter so it can look "good" again haha. Hope to get everything back to its original state.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by darketernal

One last thing, has anyone noticed some small rattling going on in their back seat while driving on slightly bumpy roads? I think its that door that gives you access to the trunk. Its driving me NUTS!

Have you checked the front armrest? I keep losing the screws that hold the pad to the lid and it rattles like crazy. I think I lost one or two in the front of the lid, but the backs ones are still in so the pad sits about 1/8 inch up off the lid - I get rattling from that. Gonna see about screwing it all back in tonight or this weekend.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
RN are my initials...

thanks to this thread, im getting a new rearvie as well! mien wasnt leaking, but it wasnt dimming at night anymore...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My mirror also gave out, it didn't explose thank god, but I had Carmax where I bought the car replace mine free of charge, thanks to my extended warranty!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Well my mirror didn't technically explode, but it does rattle lose every once and a great while and then fall off while I'm driving and hangs by the wires. It seems where the female and male clip go together isn't tight enough. Is this something that a new mirror would fix? Would this be considered a hazard and be covered or is there a quick fix for this problem?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
07 TL Type S

That's crazy! You know, since it got hot out my mirror has had this kind of foggy wave right along the top edge of the mirror, about a half inch wide...looks like liquid inside...you think mine's gonna explode soon!?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since it seems like everyone's replacing their rearview mirrors all of a sudden, here's the instructions I pmed to darketernal. Hopefully they will save someone else some time/headaches.

Enjoy

These directions are for CL or CL-S without Nav/Onstar. If you have Onstar, there is a different mirror and different directions (if you need them, pm me and i'll look them up).

1) Remove the Roof console (the piece with the overhead lights/sunglass holder in it). The lens pops off with a small flat-tip screw driver. Under the cover, you will see 2 philips screws that need to be removed. If you open the sunglass holder part, there are the other 2 screws holding the console in place. After you remove these, the console should pull down.

2) Disconnect the connector that goes into the mirror and carfully remove the bracket cover (wraps around the base of the mirror).

3) Carefully slide the mirror forward to release the spring by gently tapping the mirror bracket with a flat-tip screwdriver (might want to wrap it with a cloth) and a plastic hammer (you can also tap it with palm of your hand). The mirror should slide off.

4) Install new mirror (make sure it snaps into place on the bracket). Make sure to connect the new mirror into the electrical connector, then replace the pieces you removed.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Well my mirror didn't technically explode, but it does rattle lose every once and a great while and then fall off while I'm driving and hangs by the wires. It seems where the female and male clip go together isn't tight enough. Is this something that a new mirror would fix? Would this be considered a hazard and be covered or is there a quick fix for this problem?
There is a TSB for it rattling.....although it sounds like your mirror may not be installed properly. I'd fix that first and then see.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B06-012.PDF
Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fender Bender
That's crazy! You know, since it got hot out my mirror has had this kind of foggy wave right along the top edge of the mirror, about a half inch wide...looks like liquid inside...you think mine's gonna explode soon!?
Don't wait until it does explode....the liquid could damage plastic console parts.... get it replaced ASAP! If it looks bad, then it is still defective.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
P.

Yea this is the common warning before the mirror gives out! Mine started showing the liquid at the top of the mirror and about a month or 2 the dimmer gave out, or it might even explode like other Azine members. Get it repaired ASAP!!
Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 PM
07 TL Type S

Originally Posted by VIPCLS
Yea this is the common warning before the mirror gives out! Mine started showing the liquid at the top of the mirror and about a month or 2 the dimmer gave out, or it might even explode like other Azine members. Get it repaired ASAP!!
Cool, I'm gonna get it checked soon. Thanks for the help AZ members!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by djarovsky
There is a TSB for it rattling.....although it sounds like your mirror may not be installed properly. I'd fix that first and then see.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B06-012.PDF
That PDF of the TSB is great, how did you get access to that?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 AM
B A N N E D

uh oh.

i heard that liquid is toxic and corrosive. did it damage anything on your dash? seats?

this is such a strong defense for a lawsuit, suprised no on has yet filed anything. unless...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
P.

Cool, I'm gonna get it checked soon. Thanks for the help AZ members!
No prob!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM
白人看不懂

i didn't really read all the posts before mine....feeling a bit lazy....

but my mirror doesnt stay in place at all. i always have to re-adjust it every few minutes or so. ESPECIALLY during summer time when its always hot. winter times its not as bad.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM
CL fanatic

Sweet! thanks djarovsky. Sadly I already ordered mine from ebay. Maybe I can sell the one Magna Donnelly sends me on craigslist or sometihng.

Update: I paid the stupid brokerage fees and got the mirror. I followed the instructions provided by 03silvertypeS and got it done in around 30 mins. Saved 300+ dollars which was what the dealer wanted for it. I also ordered the plastic trimpiece for the gated shifter so it can look "good" again haha. Hope to get everything back to its original state.

How much did you have to pay for brokerage fees?

My mirror just started getting the 1/2 inch line across the top as well.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:37 AM
Advanced

Freaking 33 dollars! WHAT A RIPP.... The mirror from MagnaD.. didnt cost anything though. You should contact them first.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM
CL fanatic

what was the value that they put on the mirror? i may have to send it down to the states and pick it up.

i just got a response from magna today! but I need some help with the form for a 2001 CL. Are the answers the same as the TL?

Features in addition to autodim - ??
Number of pins in the back of your mirror if any - ??
Number of pins in the plug/connector - 3
How many wires in the plug - 3
What color is the plug - blue
What color are the wires - black, gray, and white
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Advanced

Acura of Lynnwood wrote it as full price of 95 bucks... even THO i told them to write it less. Isnt the MagnaD form already filled out for you except for the VIN? Yeah it should be the same as the TL specs. For my form it was none and n/a for your first two fields. cheers
Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
CL fanatic

The form isn't pre-filled out with information, I had to take the sunglass holder and map light assembly out to take the pics they wanted.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a big air bubble inside the mirror and it's blurry. At first I thought I was seeing double and my eyes are playing tricks on me... but noo! The damn mirror got screwed in the extreme heat we are having here in Toronto. Didn't leak yet and I hope it won't but I need to get replacement right away.

So what kind of context should be in that letter to this Magna person so he understands exactly what I'm talking about right away? Please let me know asap.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by belcom
I just got a big air bubble inside the mirror and it's blurry. At first I thought I was seeing double and my eyes are playing tricks on me... but noo! The damn mirror got screwed in the extreme heat we are having here in Toronto. Didn't leak yet and I hope it won't but I need to get replacement right away.

So what kind of context should be in that letter to this Magna person so he understands exactly what I'm talking about right away? Please let me know asap.
I said i had a leaky blown up mirror that melted alot of my plastic bits. That did the trick. they replied to me within 24 hours.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced

ergh mine just started bubbling up today out of nowhere, well guess its about that time to email manga about a replacement
Old 08-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Just emailed Magna myself. They seem to have a mirror order backlog. Can't get one to me for atleast a month.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

So just a few days ago my rear view mirror somehow exploded under the hot sun. I guess the pressure increase was too great for the housing. The dimming "fluid" or whatever got onto the plastic trim underneith and somehow melted the plastic. I am guessing the fluid was most likely organic in composition. Anyone else experience this? I ordered a new mirror from ebay that is supposed to arrive today. Can anyone point me on how to replace the mirror. I tried to buy a biggg ricer mirror to go on top of the busted mirror but nope! it wouldnt even fit over our fat ass mirror. The melted trim piece on around the shifter I might replace later but a functional mirror is more important to me. The mirror off ebay is coming from acura of lynnwood and they say is 2nd gen so no-discoloration etc. hope i dont get taxed on it as it comes across the border

Have almost the same problem with my mirror...as I posted elsewhere yesterday! And someone was nice enough to direct me to this thread! Thanks for this info from all the posters! (new guy here, so bear with me).

As for your rattle, I had the same thing as well and it was driving me crazy....thought it was coming from the same access door. I had a friend drive the car and I sat in the back...it was NOT the access door...it was from somewhere in the trunk.
So..I popped the trunk and it was the plastic clip that holds the trunk lid prop rods in place had popped out....and they were sort of rattling into each other. As soon as I found that, and tightened everything up..no more rattle!
Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM
CL fanatic

Originally Posted by bojangling
Just emailed Magna myself. They seem to have a mirror order backlog. Can't get one to me for atleast a month.
I've been waiting for a mirror since last month but today they finally shipped mine!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrMajstyk
Have almost the same problem with my mirror...as I posted elsewhere yesterday! And someone was nice enough to direct me to this thread! Thanks for this info from all the posters! (new guy here, so bear with me).

As for your rattle, I had the same thing as well and it was driving me crazy....thought it was coming from the same access door. I had a friend drive the car and I sat in the back...it was NOT the access door...it was from somewhere in the trunk.
So..I popped the trunk and it was the plastic clip that holds the trunk lid prop rods in place had popped out....and they were sort of rattling into each other. As soon as I found that, and tightened everything up..no more rattle!
Hope this helps.

sweet thanks. i will investigate this. ARGH! damn rattle ruins the driving experience
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cl8ter
I've been waiting for a mirror since last month but today they finally shipped mine!
Just got an email today that mine was shipping today as well. Way ahead of schedule!

Quick Reply: my rear view explodeD!