My first at-fault accident ever.... what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 08:47 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My first at-fault accident ever.... what do I do?

Okay so here's the short version of the story. I was driving up to an intersection and this idiot starts crossing the street while I have a green light. He runs in between my car and the car in front of me. I'm only doing about 10mph, but I swerve to miss him and while I'm looking to make sure I miss him, I run into the car in front of me (he was waiting turn left even though he had a green arrow). Still my fault, I know, but not sure what I'm responsible for or what to do about insurance claims and whatnot.

We pulled over, exchanged information. But we didn't call the cops, I figured that's fine if he doesn't want to since it was my fault. Is that wrong, are the cops really necessary, and does it help me if we didn't call the cops?

Should I call my insurance company (Progrssive) and report what happened? or just wait until he reports it? Never had this happen before, so I'm really worried about premium increases, and what I may have to pay.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How bad was it? You may just wan to pay the damages out of pocket if they aren't insane. Not calling the police was, meh. Calling them doesn't mean your insurance will definetly find out. Why didn't you go after the guy who crossed the street? Couldn't he be at fault for this for running in front of your car?(legal experts chime in).
Old 11-13-2004, 09:10 PM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
How bad was it? You may just wan to pay the damages out of pocket if they aren't insane. Not calling the police was, meh. Calling them doesn't mean your insurance will definetly find out. Why didn't you go after the guy who crossed the street? Couldn't he be at fault for this for running in front of your car?(legal experts chime in).

The guy crossing the street took off. We both went ahead and made the left turn and pulled off to the side. By the time I looked back, he was nowhere around. A guy that looked like a valet for a restaurant nearby came over to check on us, and he said that he saw the guy cross the street, but he was long gone.

The damages didn't look bad, but it was dark. All I had on my car was a small black horizontal scratch about 4 inches long. But the guy was immediately complaining that his automatic trunk opener wasn't working, but when he opened the trunk with the key it opened and shut just fine. So I'm not sure how much the damages will come to.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use that valet guy as a witness, although I don't know how insurance companies work in the states, where I am, its probably identical. Considered to be a type of hit and run, because you were not at fault really. Someone else caused this accident. Having a witness will help, you may still have to pay a deductable but I doubt your insurance will go up.

I had a similar incident, it was snowing and I was driving up the street, the car next to me almost changed lanes right into me, until he shoulder checked, but I swerved to the oncoming road and then I lost control and hit the same fucker. Now it was entirely his fault, because if it weren't for him, I wouldn't hav elost control. Anywayz, he paid me 9 bills out of his pocket under the table for scratches I had on my bumper, hahaha which I didn't even end up fixing, they were so minor.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
If the pedestrian were still there, then the cops could've found him liable for the accident. However, since he's gone, they won't have anybody else to hold responsible but you. Of course, it wasn't really your fault, but the guy you hit didn't do anything wrong, and you hit him. So in that sense, the cops would find you responsible for the damages done to his car.

I think the best thing to do right now is the talk to the guy you hit. Ask him to get a few estimates and see what the damages will come out to. If it were not too much, then you would be better off paying out of pocket to avoid increase in insurance premium. That's what I would do.

Then again, laws differ from state to state. I would ask the police what would happen in a situation like this, and go from there. You might get lucky; you never know.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:20 AM
8th Gear

use ur head

Have you guys heard of a " 50 / 50 " Its the term insurance companies use when its a no fault acident, and the way u can obtain this status would to say it wasnt my fault because.......... --->USE your head here <--[list]
and the other guy says it wasnt my fault because, and so they all stop bickering about it no one lose's or wins its a 50 50 no ones premium's goes up and the insurance doesnt go up, Lie a little bit, however ur insurance wont go up that much and its a minor accident not a major, quit being a baby and use ur head
Old 11-14-2004, 02:59 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by xklipze
quit being a baby and use ur head
Old 11-14-2004, 10:59 AM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you guys heard of a " 50 / 50 " Its the term insurance companies use when its a no fault acident, and the way u can obtain this status would to say it wasnt my fault because.......... --->USE your head here <--[list]
and the other guy says it wasnt my fault because, and so they all stop bickering about it no one lose's or wins its a 50 50 no ones premium's goes up and the insurance doesnt go up, Lie a little bit, however ur insurance wont go up that much and its a minor accident not a major, quit being a baby and use ur head
:ghey:
Old 11-14-2004, 11:03 AM
My Work is Done Here

Will this really work? SHould I just call my insurance company and tell them about it right now, and how the guy ran between our cars?
Old 11-14-2004, 01:59 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

If the damage is less than about $1,200 just pay the guy you hit the money out of your own pocket.

The less you report to the insurance company the better.

I have been in 2 accidents where I paid out of pocket. Neither of us reported it because the was not much to report, I paid the money to fix their car (and a little more) and it kept it off my record so my insurance would stay low.

Good luck
Old 11-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,251 Likes on 3,682 Posts

Ummmm, NO-it doesn't matter who sez what b/c ins. company will do their own investigation to determine what happened. After hearing of the emergency condition existing not of ccannizz's making, I would be willing to bet the ins. company would apportion fault mostly on ccan. To answer his base question, I would call ins. company b/c failing to do so could result in termination of insurance.

Xklipze, "no fault accident" has nothing to do with property damage, that's used only when injuries occur.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Racer

The pedestrian is not at fault. what if the pedestrian was a child running into the street?? even if the pedestrian stuck around, bottom line is you struck another car in the back. since the police weren't called, ask the guy you hit to give you an estimate. if it looks reasonable, pay him so your insurance does not have to get involved and go up.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I'd go through my insurance company, they don't increase my premiums if I get at fault accidents.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,251 Likes on 3,682 Posts
who's your insurance company? we got cancelled (a long time ago) for making 2 glass claims in 3 years.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
who's your insurance company? we got cancelled (a long time ago) for making 2 glass claims in 3 years.
NJ Manufactures Insurance Co.
Its very hard to get in, you must have 3 year perfect record, no violations or accidents(even if you are not at fault). But once you get in, they will not raise your premiums if you accumulate points. They might drop you if you have like 12 points and your license is suspended, but anything bellow that will not increase your premium.
I had an accident few years ago, I was at fault, my rate has not changed.
I am glad I got in into this insurance company before I had any accidents
Old 11-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
NJ Manufactures Insurance Co.
Its very hard to get in, you must have 3 year perfect record, no violations or accidents(even if you are not at fault). But once you get in, they will not raise your premiums if you accumulate points. They might drop you if you have like 12 points and your license is suspended, but anything bellow that will not increase your premium.
I had an accident few years ago, I was at fault, my rate has not changed.
I am glad I got in into this insurance company before I had any accidents

I have them too. They are a good company but I know someone who was dropped after 6 points on their license. My brother has 4 and was already sent a warning from them. They have great rates and won't surcharge you for an accident but they will drop you quickly if you screw up to too much.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
NJ Manufacturer's is good but they will drop you real quick. I agree with the guy that said if it's less than $1200, take care of it on your own. That depends on your deductable.
Since there was no Police Report filed, it will actually be more difficult for the other guy, and he may want to take care of it without going to the insurance company.
Either way man....that sucks about your car.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:05 PM
My Work is Done Here

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
NJ Manufacturer's is good but they will drop you real quick. I agree with the guy that said if it's less than $1200, take care of it on your own. That depends on your deductable.
Since there was no Police Report filed, it will actually be more difficult for the other guy, and he may want to take care of it without going to the insurance company.

Eh, I plan on replacing the front bumper eventually anyway (as soon as rondog hooks us up). My deductible is pretty high, just so I can keep the premium as low as possible. I think it's $1000. But I don't think it will result in a premium increase, I hope.

Am I supposed to call my insurance company and give them my report, or just let him do what he needs to do? Or will they make me file a police report?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by ccannizz11
Eh, I plan on replacing the front bumper eventually anyway (as soon as rondog hooks us up). My deductible is pretty high, just so I can keep the premium as low as possible. I think it's $1000. But I don't think it will result in a premium increase, I hope.

Am I supposed to call my insurance company and give them my report, or just let him do what he needs to do? Or will they make me file a police report?
Talk to the other guy first. See how much it will cost to get it fixed. If it's a lot, then call your insurance company and file a claim. I called my insurance company when I hit another car about a year ago and they said unless I make a claim, my rates stay the same. So, you can call them and ask questions. Also one of the first things they asked for was the police report and if I get a ticket because of the accident.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Keep in mind that just because you were found at fault, does not automatically imply that you have points. You can only be issued points when the cop actually vitnessed himself that you broke the law. In my case, I was assigned 100% fault, but was not issued points neither got the ticket.
Usually if cop does not write you a ticket, you dont have points.
I think NJ manufacture goes by points, not by the accidents at which you were found at fault.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
This is what happend when some douch bag in a SUV tried to get behind me in a turning lane to make a right turn into a gas station. He didn't make it & slammed my rear fender on my 300M. I called a cop, & a report was taken. I denied it, he deined it. My car was fixed. All I paid was my deductable. It never went against me. I also keep a disposal camara in my Acura & my Explorer just in case.
I'd go with the masses & only go to insurance if you can't pay for it on the side.