My filter is getting WET

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My filter is getting WET

I got the Weapon R Short Ram intake and I removed the resonator. There is water getting up in there. Its not much but the wires by the headlight are a little wet. Should I put the resonator back in?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Racer

Why and how is water getting up your CAI?! Are you going through deep water or simply wet roads? Water will get in the splash guard a bit but I wouldn't think it could reach a short ram?! Goodluck!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Racer

Since I took the resonator out you can see now down the hole to the ground. I guess the water is coming in from under the car.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

last week when i got my driver side road lamp stolen I had to drive 70 miles for work in HEAVY ASS RAIN.

and yes I have a cold air intake.

I tried my best to keep the throttle only 5~10% max so water wouldn't get sucked up.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That normal just do not pass 1 ft deep rivers/lakes
Old 10-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

My filter is getting wet
That's what she said.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Banned

I had the injen intake for about a month, during the first rainstorm, i got nervous, so i went home, popped the hood and got a flashlight to look down at the filter and sure enough, the damn thing was soaked....the bottom line is that anytime it rains, if you check your CAI filter, it WILL be wet, as will be the lower portion of the pipe...after seeing that, i decided that CAI wasnt for me, i just dont trust it. i am now considering the comptech ICEBOX as it is not designed like a CAI application. i suggest every one of you go drive around in the rain one day, pop your hood immediately upon arrival to your destination and have a look down at the filter, it will be wet. that made me nervous enough to sell the CAI, obviously, some of you dont care about that, and thats cool too, but regardless of how you feel about it, the filter will be wet, and what that implicates about water getting in the motor, im not sure....but in any case, the filter gets wet anytime it rans.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Mine gets wet too…..No big deal.
I don’t think a little bit of water in the engine will do anything bad.

The bypass is there to help prevent disaster if I hit DEEP water, the rest will just burn up with the air & fuel.....NO ???

Shawn S
Old 10-16-2002, 11:51 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Man i have the aem installed and recently dc has been getting it's fair share of rain. I got through rain, flooded areas and everything. I was paranoid at first but now i don't give a .... I also popped the hood and look under the car when i went to get an alignment done the other day. Yes the filter was wet. The cai tubbing also gets very hot. I think any chance of water getting in the tube probably evaporates before it reaches the engine anyway. the cai tubing is pretty long. If people choose to get the ice box, doesn't the install require removing the resonator??? If so water will always reach the engine bay.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

First of all, he said that he has a Short Ram intake, not a CAI. How the hell does a SR get water in it? It makes no sense.

The second thing, a little water on the filter will not harm the engine in anyway. The only way you can is if you hydrolock the car where the filter is completely submerged in water and sucks in lots of water. Little drops won't cause any harm and will be burned up by the car. You have turboed cars that use water injection to lower the temperature in the engine, since water absorbs more heat than fuel, so there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Racer

So I dont have to worry that the wires to my headlight and turn signals are a little wet?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Mugen Racing Team

No worry i've been through one of the worst storm in Toronto this year... couldn't see the road... go 40km/h... of course your filter will be wet... even my car is lowered it has 6 inches about for clearence... plus the filter is a bit more up so there is nothing to worry about... my friend has a civic that is 2-3 inches off the ground with CAI he driven it on the same say and nothing happened... he had it through winter as well... neither off us have bypass..
Old 10-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jimcol711
I had the injen intake for about a month, during the first rainstorm, i got nervous, so i went home, popped the hood and got a flashlight to look down at the filter and sure enough, the damn thing was soaked....the bottom line is that anytime it rains, if you check your CAI filter, it WILL be wet, as will be the lower portion of the pipe...after seeing that, i decided that CAI wasnt for me, i just dont trust it. i am now considering the comptech ICEBOX as it is not designed like a CAI application. i suggest every one of you go drive around in the rain one day, pop your hood immediately upon arrival to your destination and have a look down at the filter, it will be wet. that made me nervous enough to sell the CAI, obviously, some of you dont care about that, and thats cool too, but regardless of how you feel about it, the filter will be wet, and what that implicates about water getting in the motor, im not sure....but in any case, the filter gets wet anytime it rans.

Yes, it gets wet just doing a car wash.

I also noticed it was pretty wet after a rain.

However, you need to get it immersed in water to screw the engine up.

The bypass (from AEM) has its own list of problems…

AND

If the price of the IceBox is not to hideous and the power gains are close to the AEM, it might be worth removing the AEM CAI just to keep dirt out of my hair to clean the stupid filter. I personally think there is a certain amount of maintainability silliness with a product that requires a lift or a "ground session" to clean an intake filter…
Old 10-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AtlCl
First of all, he said that he has a Short Ram intake, not a CAI. How the hell does a SR get water in it? It makes no sense.

The second thing, a little water on the filter will not harm the engine in anyway. The only way you can is if you hydrolock the car where the filter is completely submerged in water and sucks in lots of water. Little drops won't cause any harm and will be burned up by the car. You have turboed cars that use water injection to lower the temperature in the engine, since water absorbs more heat than fuel, so there is nothing wrong with it.
Yes, an anti-detonation system that I used on a high compression vehicle looked like the stream of water from a "super soaker" when the throttle plate opened up...