My CL Type S is for sale at my dealerhsip

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
My CL Type S is for sale at my dealerhsip

Anyone looking for a 2001 CL Type S (number 187 off the production line) Clean, taken care of (Original owner) go to www.acuraofpleasanton.com
They are asking 19,998.00 ! They gave me 13K.

It's got tinted windows
ALL BULBS ARE PIAA, including high beam and all interior, I mean all but the sun visor lights !
Comptech Front and Rear sway bars (installed at dealership)
Navi
Bridgestone S03 tires
Brand new Interstate battery
Trunk cover
They just replaced the first transmission after 74,000 miles
Rear brakes shaved with new pads.
Oil has been changed every 3,000 miles ONLY Mobil 1 Oil and filter used !
CAR HAS NEVER BEEN ABUSED......
Breaks my heart to see it on the web site.

I really enjoying my RL but do miss the CL for it qickness !
Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pisses me off how those bastards are always trying to make at least 5k off of used cars.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by Justin.CL
Pisses me off how those bastards are always trying to make at least 5k off of used cars.
Yeah I know. But I tell you, someone is going to get a super clean car that was well taken car of.......They have one with 42,000 miles for the same price. NO navi, so apparently they are taking into consideration of how ANAL I am about my cars. They roll the red carpet when I arrive there !
Old 07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn close to a 7k profit? Insane.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
AND the engine compartment looked like NEW ! I forgot to mention that.......I can't take much more of this, as it's a bargin of a car !
Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 PM

I'm dreadin gettin rid of my CL. I bet they won't give me shit for it.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
What a fucking crime!!!

Even if you get them down to 16K, they're still making some bank.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Drifting

it's exactly how the game works. I always offer them too little money for the new car with my trade. As long as they keep saying no deal, I know they are not making money.

I tell they I'll think about it for a while, but won't leave the dealership. This way, I partially tie up their sales staff. I offer incrementally more, but not much. Then, I do it again.

What I try to do is to make it that I am so much of a pain in the ass (but a 7 time Acura owner), that they let me off on the low side, just to get rid of me.

Sometimes, it has taken me eight hours to buy a new car. I'm patient.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:30 PM
drop em like its hot

yea thats why i didnt trade in my CL-S... such a big loss for us anyway you look at it

sucks for us so much... sigh. wish acura would do something to help us with the huge depreciation we got hit with
Old 07-16-2004, 08:37 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i trade my 01 clp with 48k for 15500 and tehy put it on the lot for 19k. didnt give it too much of a mark up but tehy will never be able to sell it for 18 or 19
Old 07-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Instructor

dfreder370, it ALWAYS takes me over 9 hours to get a new car... and after, I intimitely know the floor & the general finance manager... who shows me access into their internal database saying that they cannot sell it for less... Keep in mind, we are not always this lucky.. i.e. it greatly depends on the quota they have.. and how much of it they met, factory/leasing incentives, how long the particular car in question has been on the lot, etc. In the 'worst' case... I try to get them with 'other discounts'.. such as free mats, lock nuts, maintenance... 'complete' alarm options w/ sensors, even family dinners...
And if ANYONE will give me crap.. such as my wife's cousin who is a sales shmo.... the above 7-9k pure profit better shut them the f... up .
Old 07-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Racer

I know this is off-post but, dfreder/patek - After I take a test drive in a car, I NEVER step foot at the dealership again until I have negotiated an acceptable deal either over the phone or via e-mail.

This typically won't work with extremely popular cars in Omaha due to llimited avilability/dealerships (BMW), but that is why I got my car at Jay Wolfe Acura in Kansas Ciity. After a couple phone calls with my friend George, I drove down, turned in my 01 CLS, signed some papers and drove home in my '03 cls six speed! I was at the dealership for about 45 minutes - to me, that is the best way to deal - away from the dealership. Plus, it is a lot less stressful! Give it a try next time and if the salesperson says they do not negotiate over the phone, tell them that is the only way you do business and give them your phone number. Lo and behold, they have always called back (except for BMW folks).

Just my two cents.

2003 Silver CLS six speed
Icebox
Old 07-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
So, you don't think there was dealer prep, commission to be paid, etc.?? And the dealer lights come on and stay on for free?? The receptionist and administrative personnel work for free?? And that is just the asking price, not the negotiated price.

So what is a fair profit??

After everything is said and done I would expect the dealer to make $2000 - $3000 off of it. I suspect they will sell it in the $16k - $17k range.

Everyone always wants to get the best deal. But at the same time they want their dealership to look nice and have well mannered and intelligent staff. IMO, you want the company you deal with to make a decent profit (not outrageous) so that they can be there later on, improve service and potential grow. Not unlike what most people want of the companies they work for.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Instructor

I agree re. dealer profits... but that is 'reserved' for the less knowledgable folk, who cares less then we do when acquiring their next purchase... new or used. Fortunately there are enough of them out of there... to help us 'out' a few times/decade.
Dave... thanks for your feedback, but I think it could be 'territory' dependant as well. Although I did negotiate a few cars over email - the dealers in SoCal are not as proficient in 'dealing' over email as they could face2face. Most dealers do not waste time dealing over phone... since believe it or not they can rip BETTER off someone less knowledgable face2face... yet at the same time we can get better discounts when dealing face2face... Another trick I use is already showing them my checkbook - from my psychology courses.. - it 'motivates' them to GET to the deal, no matter what. You are right re. bimmers... but when I was getting an x5 for my wife - out of 12 dealers in LAngeles, the one who told me - you'll come back to me, since noone would offer this price - was correct... The best we could hope for... is for someone FRESH & new... they tend to accept lessor profit and more volume... That is how I found a 7y/100k extended warantee by AcuraCare... for around $850, i.e. almost at cost.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scalbert
So what is a fair profit??
5%.

L'Chaim!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GINge!
5%.

L'Chaim!
Is that including over head and commission??
Old 07-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Originally Posted by scalbert
Is that including over head and commission??

should be....... I worked at a dealership once and they ask for was 500 over what they paid. This could go for anyone
Old 07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Poppin them thangs

Dealers make more on used cars, than new...
it sux, but they DO take the car off your hands albeit raping you in the process...
Old 07-19-2004, 12:31 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Fucking Rapists
Old 07-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

you own your own dealership? awesome!
Old 07-19-2004, 01:28 PM
DocPleasure

Scalbert - Buy a car at your fair price & take it back in 3-6 months and see if the dealer will give you a fair price. I would venture to say he won't. All is fair in love and war. You'll never win against a car dealer - he has his walk away price and he will walk away. They have no emotion in the transaction. Buyers have emotion and the dealer will play you like a violin. I say hammer hammer hammer - That's why I bought my 03 cls 6 mt. I had 3 or 4 cars in mind. The CL was discontinued and I used this to my advantage. Find as much leverage as you can. If he goes out of business, so what, I shouldn't have to take my car back to him anyway.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

i seriously hate dealers, i mean wtf is up with the insane markup from the trade in value, and the sad thing is they get away with it so easily. I would never trade in my car, you end up loosing so much money
Old 07-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blacksleeper
Scalbert - Buy a car at your fair price & take it back in 3-6 months and see if the dealer will give you a fair price. I would venture to say he won't.
I would never expect them to give me a fair price after 3 - 6 months. Nor do I understand the relevance as I never said they should. Why should they as they are there to make $$ and I hope they do.

I said they should and will make a profit.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I was really hurt at what they gave me on a trade. I know iT hurts the value of you guys CL's, but I had no choice in the matter if I wanted that Black on Black RL on the lot. They sold all of them but one by Monday at a $8000.00 discount each. I could not go home and sell my CL for a few more grand and have this car ! If it ain't a black interior, NO THANKS !
Old 07-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pimpscls
i seriously hate dealers, i mean wtf is up with the insane markup from the trade in value, and the sad thing is they get away with it so easily. I would never trade in my car, you end up loosing so much money
Again, what is a fair mark up?? It is certainly not free to them as they are taking on a risk unlike new cars. You are paying them for a service too of taking the car off your hands. Other options are available.

Point being, there is quite a bit more involved than the delta of the trade and the asking price. The risk, interest paid, over head, commission, etc. That is unlike new cars which most have a credit line with the manufacturer. What about the cars which never sell and are wholesaled off giving them $0 (or worse) in the end. They are there to make money and risks cost more for them and the convenience costs you.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Instructor

..Let's just keep all in mind that it's not the dealer that chargers this much for used autos... it's the 'market' that dictates how much they can... aside from everything mentioned above. So let's leverage the market to our advantage as mentioned above... i.e. get them on a 'slow week', i.e. at the end of the month... or when there is particularly MANY 'loss leaders' in the paper... regardless of what models - the more 'sales' in paper - the more dealer is 'suffering' during that particular week. I suppose I left the best of last... I make dealer compete with the other dealer... but face to face. I SET THE PRICE... reasonably of course... and look in their eyes and 'make up' sad stories.. i.e. such as I will have to drive 100+miles... they will need to get the car and pay the shipment fees, etc... It's a game... we all by now realize... but as long as you do not insult the dealer 'too much'... and keep in mind... if getting them on a 'hungry' week... - you can do it... I got my CLS for in 01 new at $25.6k... ironic that they did NOT sell back then either... so they were literraly trying to get rid of them... After 9 hours of negotiation the gen.manager was so tired that he showed me making around $680, plus $350 in various 'bonuses' on my car... I told him next time... let's be more clear.. i.e. what you can and cannot do - since it is just a game to them as it is to us...
Just goes to show you a better mousetrap does not necesarily prevail... I still cannot absolutely imagine why CLs's wouldn't fly off the shelves... yet they never did...
Old 07-19-2004, 06:27 PM
7th Gear

Well i bought my CL-S a month ago. Its and 01 that had 25 k on it. They were asking 21995 i got it for 19995 since my friend works and the acura dealer..also he put over 1000 dollars worth of new parts and labor into it b4 i took delivery. i also got a brand new acura keyless entry fob ..101 bucks for that lil thing and brand new floor mats im sure those arent cheap either... they knocked some $$$ off the price but im not sure how much they got it for from the auction but im happy with it.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I got an extra set of floor mats if anyone wants them......bay area folks only.....Boy the value is plumiting in to the tolet. Good for buyers, SUCKS for sellers !
Old 07-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I just traded in my 01 CLS for $15k, had 42000 miles on it, garage kept and zaino'd. I figure $15k plus another $1k I save in taxes, plus the $1k I'll get back on cancelling the xtended warrenty, $17k aint too bad, and I would be hard pressed to get that selling privately (and would not be able to cancel the warrenty).
Its a shame on what has happened to the CLS.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Red/Ebony CLS 6-Spd

In my humble opinion, the dealer's risk, interest paid, over head, commission, etc. is not going to be compromised at a competent dealership regardless of the tactics a buyer employs. I think we can all assume, given they are competent car-sales professionals, that they know how to cover their overhead. Thus, their overhead should not be one of our concerns as buyers.

Where I have a problem with some dealerships is how they focus on getting the maximum out of each buyer based on the buyer's saavy-level--a go for the throat approach. I would like to be able to send my mother unattended to a dealer, with her attendant trust of people being honest and fair minded, and know that the deal they offered her is equivalent to one they would offer anyone else. Such a dealer knows how much he needs to make on a given car to earn a decent profit and settles for that amount from everyone he deals with. Going for the max, with each and every buyer, depending on their gullibility, smacks of greed.

Since I have weighed in on what I think the dealer should do, I'll add that I likewise think the buyer should not have the same go-for-the-throat attitude with the dealer. (In fact, any buyer that takes the approach of trying to take unfair advantage of dealers by hook or crook is setting HIMSELF up. The dealer will use a buyer's perception of gullibility on the part of the dealer as a means of fleecing the fleecer. Cons only work on people trying to get something for nothing.)

Bragging about having fleeced the dealer would NOT be a tactic employed by an honest buyer. A buyer should be happy with a fair price knowing that the profit he contributed is an honest and fair one.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
^ my past 2 buys on my cl and rl have been stress free. when i bought my nissans i felt like i was getting raped.

i went in knowing what i was going to get and my price that i was set on, and both times i came home with a used acura, and i dont sit there and regret my choice.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

I had opposite experience. Buying my FX35 was pain free. Buying my CL-S 4 years ago was a week long headache. The spread from the highest dealer to what I bought was $4,000 difference (between purchase price and trade in on my Integra).