My Ass Got Chewed by a Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ass Got Chewed by a Firebird

Well during my daily communte to work I sometimes race a couple cars, usually the same ones but today This white Firebird was behind me still 30 day tag too. he comes next to me and takes off. I take off too. Not really a race but just a good chase. then we come to a stop light.
I turn off VSA and put the shift in to 1st.
GREEN!
We both floor it we both spin our tires and by 40 he's already ahead, WTF!! now im pissed, we both go at it till about 90. No cars in front by the way. we both slow down and just cruise the rest until, he took his exit.

DAMN these things are fast as @#@%. No chance for an S. I do remember BeatYaAll was keeping up to a firebird up until 60 or something, but next Time I see one , i'll just let them pass.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Well during my daily communte to work I sometimes race a couple cars, usually the same ones but today This white Firebird was behind me still 30 day tag too. he comes next to me and takes off. I take off too. Not really a race but just a good chase. then we come to a stop light.
I turn off VSA and put the shift in to 1st.
GREEN!
We both floor it we both spin our tires and by 40 he's already ahead, WTF!! now im pissed, we both go at it till about 90. No cars in front by the way. we both slow down and just cruise the rest until, he took his exit.

DAMN these things are fast as @#@%. No chance for an S. I do remember BeatYaAll was keeping up to a firebird up until 60 or something, but next Time I see one , i'll just let them pass.

</font>

Firebird? Nah, don't try it, they're V8 Shitboxes IMO

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-20-2001, 11:32 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Same as the Cobra Mustang...don't try it. You have a couple of alternatives though:
1. hang with him till he runs out of gas

2. hang with him till he breaks down

Neither should take very long!

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chrisbert:
Same as the Cobra Mustang...don't try it. You have a couple of alternatives though:
1. hang with him till he runs out of gas

2. hang with him till he breaks down

Neither should take very long!

</font>
Now that is funny......

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-20-2001, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

I think number 2 will become before 1. DAmn should of followed him for another mile.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
me.

Old 04-20-2001, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
Now that is funny......

</font>
You guys are so cruel to the poor domestics.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Was it a WS6? The ones with those ram air induction holes on the hood. I raced a white WS6 once on 66. I was going 130 and he passed me like I was standing still. Leave those to people with Supras and RX7s.

------------------
1999 Nissan Maxima
Old 04-20-2001, 12:43 PM
ACME sucks!

Simple.... V8, RWD, lighter, more hp, more torque, etc.

Although they have these things, they ARE NOT reliable, nor are they nearly as luxurious. They were made to race, period.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-20-2001, 02:49 PM
Learn to swim.

Sometimes I really don't think some of you know what your talking about. I had a'98 Cobra for three years, the only problem I ever had with it was when I knowcked the rear-view mirror of in the garage. Got about 28-29 mpg highway and not much lower in the city. Maybe your just looking for something to point out so you don't feel so bad about your car not comparing in performance. Don't bother pointing out "statistics" or stories of some guy you know who's "FireChicken" burst into flames at the drive in. I could point out seceral stories from this board of peoples cars leaking oil for no reason, the paint cracking, misterious rattles-squeaks, exhaust hangers uneven, etc...I know my experience and several of my close frineds, two of which still have theirs.
I love my car, but I don't try and race FireBirds nor do I slam them for what they are. They are fast, reasonable quality, and relatively cheap. More than likely some of the same factory floor workers that now assemble cars for Honda used to work at a GM or a Ford plant at one time. And like Nova said, if you ever see one on the street, just let him pass. He's got bigger fish to worry about (Vettes, RX7's, SS, NSX)
Old 04-20-2001, 03:00 PM
Banned

Firebirds suck. Domestics suck @ss. If you want more power in a domestic car, just put a bigger engine in it.

Why domestics suck 101:

You need 300hp in that domestic? Well don't bother doing ANY engineering, just put a V10 in there (yeah a V10 because our 4.8L V8s only put out about 260hp).

Point proven yet?

Well, check out Acura CLS! No turbo, nothing like that except VTEC which is great, and pumping out 260hp from a 6 cylinder engine which is only 3.2L engine. Damn these american car makers need to learn to do SOME engineering and not just throw in a big engine everytime.

Another example:

Corvette LS1 engine: 5.7L!!!! Producing 350bhp at 5500rpm.

E46 M3 engine: 3.2L!! Producing 333bhp at 6000rpm.

Doesn't technology rock?

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-20-2001, 03:04 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
Firebirds suck. Domestics suck @ss. If you want more power in a domestic car, just put a bigger engine in it.

Why domestics suck 101:

You need 300hp in that domestic? Well don't bother doing ANY engineering, just put a V10 in there (yeah a V10 because our 4.8L V8s only put out about 260hp).

Point proven yet?

Well, check out Acura CLS! No turbo, nothing like that except VTEC which is great, and pumping out 260hp from a 6 cylinder engine which is only 3.2L engine. Damn these american car makers need to learn to do SOME engineering and not just throw in a big engine everytime.

Another example:

Doesn't technology rock?

</font>
Imagine applying all this technology to the big engines =)
Old 04-20-2001, 03:13 PM
I love my CL-S

Another example:

Doesn't technology rock?

</font>
really good point made.

------------------
01 silver cl-s
AEM CAI red
K&N air filter
Piaa 19169
Cannon winter floor mats
Old 04-20-2001, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

It was the one w/ the funny hood, the ram air setup.

I think some one mentioned this about fords

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

------------------
CL-S
me.

Old 04-20-2001, 03:45 PM
Banned

heres one for Pontiac

Poor
Old

Thinks
Its
A
Caddilac

I heard that the Ram-Air setup doesn't actually come into effect until around 120mph. I heard this from a guy I know who knows his sh!t. True?

EDIT: Heres one for Chevy

CSHIT
HSHIT
ESHIT
VSHIT
YSHIT
Have a nice day
------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech

[This message has been edited by M3Sins (edited 04-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 04-20-2001, 03:50 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aeon:
Sometimes I really don't think some of you know what your talking about. I had a'98 Cobra for three years, the only problem I ever had with it was when I knowcked the rear-view mirror of in the garage. Got about 28-29 mpg highway and not much lower in the city. Maybe your just looking for something to point out so you don't feel so bad about your car not comparing in performance. Don't bother pointing out "statistics" or stories of some guy you know who's "FireChicken" burst into flames at the drive in. I could point out seceral stories from this board of peoples cars leaking oil for no reason, the paint cracking, misterious rattles-squeaks, exhaust hangers uneven, etc...I know my experience and several of my close frineds, two of which still have theirs.
I love my car, but I don't try and race FireBirds nor do I slam them for what they are. They are fast, reasonable quality, and relatively cheap. More than likely some of the same factory floor workers that now assemble cars for Honda used to work at a GM or a Ford plant at one time. And like Nova said, if you ever see one on the street, just let him pass. He's got bigger fish to worry about (Vettes, RX7's, SS, NSX)
</font>
I, for one, can bash Camaros/Firebirds all day because I have owned them (1986-1998). Not ALL of them are unreliable, but the majority of them ARE. Like I said, they are meant for racing (hence the name "muscle car") and that's what they're best at.

Oh, and "M3Sins" has a valid point, technology rules and the only domestic cars with a technological advantage are Cadillacs.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 04-20-2001, 03:55 PM
Racer

"More than likely some of the same factory floor workers that now assemble cars for Honda used to work at a GM or a Ford plant at one time."

DOES THIS EXPLAIN THE RATTLES IN THE DASH AND MOONROOF OR WHAT????

------------------
Silver S
Black Xephyr Intake
Valentine 1 (Hard wired)
Old 04-20-2001, 03:56 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
I, for one, can bash Camaros/Firebirds all day because I have owned them (1986-1998). Not ALL of them are unreliable, but the majority of them ARE. Like I said, they are meant for racing (hence the name "muscle car") and that's what they're best at.

Oh, and "M3Sins" has a valid point, technology rules and the only domestic cars with a technological advantage are Cadillacs.

</font>
I know a few people with new Cadillacs and they have had problems with it. One of my friends had his brake line break on a brand new caddy (with only 2k miles on it). You guys with the Acuras are lucky that they only made the CLS here and did not make the parts here or used domestic car makers brains. I for one thing, will NEVER buy any car made in the US. BMWs are getting hard to find from Germany straight (unless you do european delivery). I think i'll stick with the M series because those for sure are made in germany. If they ever start making M3s and M5s in the NC plant, BMW is dead for me

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-20-2001, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

heres one for Pontiac

Poor
Old

Thinks
Its
A
Caddilac

I heard that the Ram-Air setup doesn't actually come into effect until around 120mph. I heard this from a guy I know who knows his sh!t. True?

EDIT: Heres one for Chevy

CSHIT
HSHIT
ESHIT
VSHIT
YSHIT
Have a nice day
</font>
I was gonna write up the one for pontiac but thought it was a little racsial, so didn't.

------------------
CL-S
me.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 04-20-2001, 04:04 PM
Racer

straightr up i hate american cars, just problems and more problems, from my own family experience, to friends..EVERYTHING.

My friend bought a 2000 or 2001 Firebird with the Firhawk package which is faster than the WS6 package, it is DAMN fast, but after a month, he had taken it to service twice already, but they were for minor reasons he says....so he says...hmmm
Old 04-20-2001, 04:14 PM
Banned

Only thing I would take my BMW in for after a month would be maybe for an oil change or to say "hi" to the guys at the dealership (in your cases, your acura, very reliable cars).

The domestic owners however probably know all the mechanics on a first name basis and no wonder you need an appointment to get you car fixed there! At the BMW dealership where I go, you don't need no damn appointment, you go there and they fix it! Fix it the right way! You go to an american dealership, you get an appointment for next week so they can "look at the problem" and then fix it the week after because they are "backed up" because so many POS owners are trying to race non-domestics and losing their wheels, tranny, engine, or exhaust while doing so.

Can't be all negative about domestics. ONE thing I do love about the Camaros, Stangs, and Firebirds is their stock exhaust note. Sounds very very nice!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by deadlyCL-S:
straightr up i hate american cars, just problems and more problems, from my own family experience, to friends..EVERYTHING.

My friend bought a 2000 or 2001 Firebird with the Firhawk package which is faster than the WS6 package, it is DAMN fast, but after a month, he had taken it to service twice already, but they were for minor reasons he says....so he says...hmmm
</font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-20-2001, 04:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aeon:
</font>

Dude, if anyone has buyers remorse it is you. All you do is complain or downplay the CLS. Then, you defend domestic cars where deep down in your heart you know the truth. I don't go by individual experiences I look at the nationwide service reports and overall quality and buyers satisfaction. I am glad you had a ford that ran well for 3 years you must have gotten a Wednesday car. If you got a Friday or Monday car it would have been a different story. As for my MarysVille Ohio CLS I definitely got a Wednesday car. My brother in law is a Senior Plan Administrator at Merryl Lynch, he handles the Dhaimer(sp) Chrysler 401K account, another domestic company with one foot in the grave. Now tell me why is it that so many domestic companies are slowly declining?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-20-2001, 04:31 PM
magnet

this guy aeon and arik seem to badmouth the cl-s i think they are is300 trolls

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter and b&m tranny cooler)3.5 litre upgrade on april 16!(dommed topped pistons, mdx crankshaft, rods , bearings, heads ported and polished, vtec timing

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...064&Sequence=0
Old 04-20-2001, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:
I don't go by individual experiences I look at the nationwide service reports and overall quality and buyers satisfaction</font>
Which can also be very much influenced by buyers expectations. People often perceive quality and service based on what they had originally thought they were getting into.

For instance, a friend of my brother-in-law stated his Integra was a perfect car even though, by 60k miles, he had the auto-transaxle replaced twice. That is a major failure. If he filled out a survey would he state that he has had two major mechanical failures, or rather state what he wants to believe, that it is a perfect car??

I've known two Celica owners that said they were flawless car, but when seated in both, the arm rests were falling off. When asked about the armrest issue, one dodged it and the other said, "Who cars about an arm rest".

Now I love my CL-S and E46 328i and will probably never buy another domestic even though I have owned many. But some statements made are extremely far off base. I understand the styling choice differences between domestics and imports. I also know very well about some of the quality aspect primarily having to do with material quality, i.e. interior plastics, exterior paint, etc. But when it comes to the drivetrain I must disagree. The domestics are just as good if not better (in some areas) as imports.

Has anyone ever broken, out of normal use, a Turbo400 GM transmission. Heck, even BMW and Volvo buy GM Powertrain transmissions. The 5 series 5 speed automatics are GM units (5L40E) that GM doesn't even use them selves.

As for technology, the domestics have been riding a larger profit margin for too long and lost focus of what the rest of the world was doing. However, that is not to say that things haven't been done in the US too. GM has pushed the envelope with pushrod technology further than ever before.

But they will probably do what they have historically done, come up with a good idea and never perfect it. Remember the ZR-1, 32 valve Quad Cams, etc. back in the 80's on a 350ci engine. Why wasn't that technology ever taken further. The HO Quad4 was putting out 180hp from an NA 4 banger back well before Honda came to really up the ante. But it was rough and full of vibration, which with continued development, they could of eliminated.

But look at the direction they take. The first all new motor from GM in years is an Inline 6 with DOHC and variable valve timing (only on the exhaust side), making like 275 hp and 275 torque. But what market is this introduced for, the damn SUVs. It is not slated for car use.

That's enough ranting for now and I'm looking forward to hopping into my CL-S and driving it home. Then changing the oil tomorrow and off for some spirited driving.
Old 04-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree domestic quality sucks... But the Firebird has approx 325 or 350hp and close to the same in torque. Remember "hp sells cars torque wins races". If ya looking to get into racing cheep, you can not beat a old cheap pos mustang. The engine can be built high hp for a few bucks. Plenty of inexpensive parts.....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X8 Competition Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:11 AM
Advanced

my mom has a '99 trans am. it has something like 320hp. it is sad when your mom's car can kick your car's ass...

------------------
allyn
2001 3.2 CL Type S w/Navigation,
Taffeta White/Parchment,
Spoiler, Gold Emblems, Splash Guards, Wheel Locks
Old 04-21-2001, 05:26 PM
Banned

Lets get one thing straight... there is absolutly nothing anyone can do to make the CL-S beat a Trans_am Ram-air thing. Build quality aside, if its running it will run you right into the ground. All those fancy headers might as well be paperweights. It will do you no good avainse damn near 6 liters. Sorry, its the truth.
But... and this is a big but... The CL is not a muscle car. It would be like comparing a stock CL-S to a Focus. Yeah, the Focus will get whooped, but its an economy car.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
"Too many news programs have become public relations friendly" -Bill Oreilly
"People spend too much time finding other people to blame, too much energy finding excuses for not being what they are capable of being, and not enough energy putting themselves on the line, growing out of the past, and getting on with their lives." - J. Michael Straczynski