Motor Trend tests 2004 Neon SRT4 - Acceleration Inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 06:56 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
wow, i forget how stupid some people are
Old 11-05-2003, 07:02 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dodge sux? I guess i should say fuck you Dodge and save for my supercharger, because my supercharged TL will be way better than a 200 mph Viper. It is an Acura after all, the best car brand ever.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Viper is just a Dodge too...what the fuck? You have to look at cars based on what is important to you, regardless of the brand....unless of course, that's all you care about, which makes you stupid.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,421 Posts
OK..I can't offer my opinion without being chastized...how nice.

But for around 20k..I don't care how fast it is..I wouldn't buy it. I have seen one (In Person) sat in one(In Person) did not drive it..but found the car Unattractive and very cheap looking inside. I am fully aware of the fact that my car is an Accord...and in all honesty would probably buy a 20k Accord before I would ever own a NEON(nomatter how Fast it is). I am sorry if you think that makes me a dolt...
Old 11-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
That's fine if you wouldn't ever own one. No problem here...

What I find amusing is that instead of giving props to a car, people manage to take the thread AWAY from it's original intention and turn it into a "I'd never buy a NEON." "It's a big POS." "CHEAP" "American made"...
Old 11-05-2003, 07:14 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by Scrib
That's fine if you wouldn't ever own one. No problem here...

What I find amusing is that instead of giving props to a car, people manage to take the thread AWAY from it's original intention and turn it into a "I'd never buy a NEON." "It's a big POS." "CHEAP" "American made"...
It is an ACURA Owners website after all....

what did Jim Expect...if he wants props for Dodge Products maybe he should go to a Dodge Forum...

Not trying to be a dick here ...but its Human Nature that this type of response would occur.:P
Old 11-05-2003, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 1killercls

what did Jim Expect...if he wants props for Dodge Products maybe he should go to a Dodge Forum...

Not trying to be a dick here ...but its Human Nature that this type of response would occur.:P
human nature is not to bash a vehicle that represents the best value on the planet for a sports compact car. hands down. ok, sure, whatever you say
Old 11-05-2003, 07:20 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by jimcol711
human nature is not to bash a vehicle that represents the best value on the planet for a sports compact car. hands down. ok, sure, whatever you say
and that is your opinion and you are indeed intitled to it.

Would you like a cookie???
Old 11-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Agreed...

But I would still think we're all car enthusiasts as much as MOST of us are Acura owners... Giving props, maybe even to a Neon is sort of warranted, don't you think?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Fine... That's not Jim's point.

The point is that for $20K, you're getting a HELL of a fast car that can be modded to go even faster.

He isn't talking about styling, nor the badge that it wears... It's a car that'll whoop this crap out of MOST cars on the road. And for $20K.

If you sift through all the f-words etc... That's the underlying point.

2002 Mustang GT for $17k with 6k miles is what I would get, domestic and in that price range. And fine, the Neon is really fast. Thats cool and all if thats the only thing you look for. Theres a lot more to a car for me than off the line speed. I guess the thread was called 'acceleration inside', not 'attractive styling inside', so I'll stop arguing.

What the hell is that supposed to mean??? I could read that about 20 different ways, but I won't...

I mean in the town where I am from, guys don't drive neons. People laugh at guys who drive neons. Its comparable to driving a VW bug, or wearing womens underwear.

people like you are hilarious

dont you know that the Acura CL-S is EVERY BIT AS DOMESTIC as ANY DODGE?!!!!!

CL = BUILT and DESIGNED in the U S of A!!!

have you ever even seen an SRT-4???

granted, a stock neon is a bland, ugly car...but the SRT-4, which you obviously have never seen, has an incredibly agressive front end, sweet dual exhausts, 17 inch rims that look better than stock CL rims, red brake calipers, FMIC, etc, etc, etc. it doesnt look any better or worse than the EVO in the same fashion that a normal lancer looks quite tame and very bland.
When did I ever knock domestics? My cls is the first non domestic I have ever owned. I knew the Acura was made in the US, and that had a big influence on my purchase. I drove a Mustang before the Acura, and I plan on buying another in a few years.

Yes, I have seen an SRT-4. Its not bland, its offensively ugly. It looks much worse than the evo, and I am not a big fan of that either.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:23 AM
GEEZER

Agreed...

But I would still think we're all car enthusiasts as much as MOST of us are Acura owners... Giving props, maybe even to a Neon is sort of warranted, don't you think?

true..this is just another one of those threads that just kinda went in the sh*tter because of many differing opinions. No matter who is right or wrong...it was just destined for controversy.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:26 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

OK..I can't offer my opinion without being chastized...how nice.

But for around 20k..I don't care how fast it is..I wouldn't buy it. I have seen one (In Person) sat in one(In Person) did not drive it..but found the car Unattractive and very cheap looking inside. I am fully aware of the fact that my car is an Accord...and in all honesty would probably buy a 20k Accord before I would ever own a NEON(nomatter how Fast it is). I am sorry if you think that makes me a dolt...
What you wrote above doesnt make you a dolt at all. It was an honest opinion. But saying oh its just a neon or just a dodge is really ignorant. You arent looking for speed, so it's understandable that you'd rather own an accord. But, if you wanted speed, for 20k that neon is the best value for dollar. A alot of people get insulted when someone comes on here and calles our cars accords.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Yeehaw

now that is a car I'd be proud to drive...

Old 11-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beetroot

WE GET IT!!!! OK???

Read the TOPIC of this thread. And how is your post relavent to the TOPIC?

We understand you're too good to drive a neon. But realize the thread was started to discuss the performance of the car.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:35 AM
Masshole

Honestly, I don't think that Neon is any uglier than the STi or the EVO...they are all equally hideous.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:36 AM
Yeehaw

WE GET IT!!!! OK???

Read the TOPIC of this thread. And how is your post relavent to the TOPIC?

We understand you're too good to drive a neon. But realize the thread was started to discuss the performance of the car.

just wanted to remind everyone what the car looked like that they are going nuts about.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Administrator Alumnus

just wanted to remind everyone what the car looked like that they are going nuts about.
I give up...
Old 11-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Team Owner

The SRT-4 is AWESOME. I respect its performance.
It kind of reminds me of my 1986 Omni GLH-S Turbo.
Ugly and cheap as SHIT, but she FLEW and embarrassed quite a few V8’s in her day!!!

Shawn S
Old 11-05-2003, 07:47 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

I mean in the town where I am from, guys don't drive neons. People laugh at guys who drive neons. Its comparable to driving a VW bug, or wearing womens underwear.
Would they still laugh if an SRT-4 with 1500 in mods and a factory warranty raped almost every sports car including a z06 in your town? Where i live, most of the guys give props where props are due.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can polish a turd and polish a turd but at the end of the day, what do you have?

a turd:P
Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 AM
WESTK

all you fucks screaming how great this car is, go trade in your full luxury cls and get a "p.o.s." neon for your daily driver. I still stand that dodge sucks donkey penis for a hobby.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:53 AM
GEEZER

I give up...
Old 11-05-2003, 07:58 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by N.O.6speed
all you fucks screaming how great this car is, go trade in your full luxury cls and get a "p.o.s." neon for your daily driver. I still stand that dodge sucks donkey penis for a hobby.

you are such an idiot, that isn't what anyone here is talking about.

where do these people come from?
Old 11-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Administrator Alumnus

:shakehd:

First off..

:noob:

Next... We're screaming about how great the performance is. Argue ALL you want, but at the end of the day this car will out-perform most cars on the road. Nobody wants to discuss the looks, the badge, etc. Performance. HELLO!!!???

Performance!!! Get it!!!???
Old 11-05-2003, 08:14 AM
Banned

this N.O.6speed is a total tool

get the fuck out newbie

get a clue before you run your stupid mouth
Old 11-05-2003, 08:29 AM
AutoCrosser Extraordinair

[i]
Next... We're screaming about how great the performance is. Argue ALL you want, but at the end of the day this car will out-perform most cars on the road. Nobody wants to discuss the looks, the badge, etc. Performance. HELLO!!!???

Performance!!! Get it!!!??? [/B]
I think a major problem of Dodge soecifically and Domestics in general has been exposed.

They can build good and possibly even great cars when you look at them by the numbers. On paper the SRT/4 looks like a world beater with it's price/performance ratio.

Sadly, once you get into the car and drive it, other shortcomings become readily apparent. Lack of build quality in the interior, lousy seats, iffy gearbox feel, a general lack of a "feel of quality" for lack of a better term.

My 2000 Civic Si, was slower than the Neon for sure, but it handled incredibly, and the build quality and feel of the car was light years ahead of the Neon. Plus it held it's value. In 47k miles of ownership (including 2.5 seasons of AutoX) I never had a single item that needed repair. In fact the brakes still had 70% front and 80% rear on them (original pads) a week before it was stolen.

I'd be amazed if SRT/4 owners will be able to say the same 3.5 years down the road.

Does the NEON SRT/4 Haul ass? Hell yes.

Is it a great performance value at 20k? Hell yes.

Is it a great all around car for 20k? Questionable.

Is it built with the same attention to detail and quality as Civic? Hell no.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you are looking for in a car. And that as we all know is different with everyone.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

The SRT-4 is an amazing car for the $$ if you value performance over all else. It's not for everyone, but you can't deny the performance and overall value for the $$ you get with this car.

It's a great car and one I'd love to have as a weekend racer.

Those who make those stupid comments that "it's a dodge" are being ignorant. It may not be your taste, but I say to give respect where respect is due....
Old 11-05-2003, 08:38 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by 80's Boy
I think a major problem of Dodge soecifically and Domestics in general has been exposed.

They can build good and possibly even great cars when you look at them by the numbers. On paper the SRT/4 looks like a world beater with it's price/performance ratio.

Sadly, once you get into the car and drive it, other shortcomings become readily apparent. Lack of build quality in the interior, lousy seats, iffy gearbox feel, a general lack of a "feel of quality" for lack of a better term.

Have you gotten in the SRT4 yet? It's really a step up from the regular neon inside, I found the fit and finish to be great for a car under 20K. The interior was exactly what you expect for that price.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Have you gotten in the SRT4 yet? It's really a step up from the regular neon inside, I found the fit and finish to be great for a car under 20K. The interior was exactly what you expect for that price.
I have to agree. At the Auto show I was laughing to my friend how bad it would be inside, but both of us were startled to see how much of an improvement it was over a regular Neon. It's no luxury car, and not as nice as most cars on the road, but I'd say pretty on par with the Evo's interior. BTW, seats in the SRT-4 are awesome
Old 11-05-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by CLpower
Yeah, I test drove one while looking for a replacement for my stolen Si.

Honestly I wasn't impressed at all with the car's build.

Someone else raved about the seats? Is there an option on those? The seats in the car I drove sucked. They were way too soft and squishy, with no where near the support a performance car should provide it's driver. But again, different people like different things.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Someone else raved about the seats? Is there an option on those? The seats in the car I drove sucked. They were way too soft and squishy, with no where near the support a performance car should provide it's driver. But again, different people like different things.
I thought they were pretty good for sport seats. They had huge side bolsters that held me in. Again, I only sat in it for a minute or so, so I could be wrong
Old 11-05-2003, 09:15 AM
WESTK

jimcol711,
eat a dick. what do you know any way? your a veteran cock sucker. i call you or your mother next time i want head.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Banned

jimcol711,
eat a dick. what do you know any way? your a veteran cock sucker. i call you or your mother next time i want head.
ok you ignorant newbie peice of shit, sounds great. youre the only idiot spouting off incredibly foolish statements out of your ass, grow up and get the fuck out. thank you. goodbye.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Yeehaw

ok you ignorant newbie peice of shit, sounds great. youre the only idiot spouting off incredibly foolish statements out of your ass, grow up and get the fuck out. thank you. goodbye.

we may not agree on the Neon, but I'm with ya on this.

N.O.6speed yer an idiot. grow up man.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Please cut down on the BS, stop getting worked up over a car none of you fucking own.

For the record, the SRT is an awesome car for the money and is very reasonable to mod. Who said anything about trading their CLs or whatever else in for one though?

The car is only $20k, if you don't like the seats.....just go out an buy a set of Recaros (big shit).
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm late.

My "American" response was in continuation to the one-word descriptions of the car, haha, I don't base my entire opinoin on where a car is made. I've driven Euro ones, Jap ones, and American ones, and my preference from a practicality standpoint is Jap, but Euro if I want to be impractical.

Back to the SRT-4... great car for the money. Doesn't mean I'd get one. But to the point, I tell all my friends what a great performance deal for the cash the Dodge is. Period. Forget styling, safety, luxury, handling, etc... point of this car is to take you from 0-60 in under 6 seconds and $20 grand. If you've seen their commercials, you can tell.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 80's Boy

My 2000 Civic Si, was slower than the Neon for sure, but it handled incredibly, and the build quality and feel of the car was light years ahead of the Neon. Plus it held it's value. In 47k miles of ownership (including 2.5 seasons of AutoX) I never had a single item that needed repair. In fact the brakes still had 70% front and 80% rear on them (original pads) a week before it was stolen.

I'd be amazed if SRT/4 owners will be able to say the same 3.5 years down the road.

Does the NEON SRT/4 Haul ass? Hell yes.

Is it a great performance value at 20k? Hell yes.

Is it a great all around car for 20k? Questionable.

Is it built with the same attention to detail and quality as Civic? Hell no.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you are looking for in a car. And that as we all know is different with everyone.

sounds like you are completely full of shit, i can deal with people saying they hate it cause its a neon or whatever cause they just aren't into these new genation of cars that are stipped down and hopped up but you're coming up with things that don't even match up with the car. if anything the interior materials are up to the same level of the wrx, i thought they were better after being in both but thats just me.

lousy seats? sounds like you're mixing a neon sxt with an srt.

iffy gearbox? again, unfounded. every car has a different feel to it.

as far as the old si, having brakes last 50k+ miles isn't a good thing, thats hondas way of giving consumers shittay braking distances.

is the new lotus elise built to the same level as a civic ex concerning interior materials? umm no, it aint supposed to be a commuter car. if you want a plush interior, get a gti.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:51 PM

Full of shit? Hmmm...whatever.

I test drove everything from the the SRT/4, RX-8, EVO, WRX, RSX, S2K (03 and 04), and a bunch of other used cars as well.

I'm not saying that the SRT doesn't look like a good interior, but it sure lacks the feel of quality. The one I drove had rattles in the dash already, and panels didn't quite line up and fit correctly.

Yeah, the brakes on my Si were horrible, so bad in fact that I have a wall full of autoX trophies I won with it using the stock brakes.

Yeah, every cars gearbox has a different feel to it. However the SRT was the worst of the bunch. It reminded me alot of my old Rabbit GTi. It wasn't that bad, but it had the same rubbery/loose feel to it.

And again I guess seats are a very subjective thing. I found the seats in the Neon to be severly lacking in support. They felt way too soft and spongy to me. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not saying the SRT/4 is a bad car, I'm just saying that it makes certain tradeoffs to achieve it's price point that I am not willing to accept in a car that I own.

That's why I have a 2004 S2000 showing up this week.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Drifting

the most bang for the buck.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:37 PM

Just a quick note...this post a similar topic came up on S2Ki.com and this was the post of someone else on that board...

Pretty amusing read...

"Today while on lunch break (it's 85 degrees here with 4% humidity) I was out having my routine cigarette and there were a bunch of people outside enjoying the weather. There were quite a few younger people all talking about cars so I joined in. We were all talking about performance and modifications. I had a young pup talking a lot of smack in regards to his SRT, but I can honestly say he can back up everything that he was saying. He was saying Honda didn't have this and Nissan would never have that and kept carrying on. Well, Staci (EYE CANDY GODDESS) had no idea what an "SRT" was and was asking "is that an Italian sports car because you can't afford that working here" and we all started laughing. She felt like we were making fun of her at first and asked me what model my Honda was and I told her it was an S2000, and the car Mike was bragging so hard about was a Dodge Neon. She looked at him, then back at me, then pointed to my car and said "I would much rather be seen cruising around in that convertible with the top down over a NEON any day of the week, even if your NEON is faster. When I think of that car, the first thing that comes to my mind is it's a POS rental car that I drove while my car was getting serviced..." and we all started laughing even harder. She apologized to Mike saying something to fact that his car might not be a POS, but the rental she drove was and it wasn't her intentions to make Mike feel bad, then said to me, "if you weren't married, I'd have you zip me around the block" and proceeded to head back inside. I am glad I am happily married.
Now, all you SRT guys, I am not bashing it all. I know the car has a lot of potential from seeing what Mikes does, but the way Staci put it, it's priceless."

Again, I think the SRT/4 is a neat car, and lots of performance for the money, but it's in the same league as many other cars.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend tests 2004 Neon SRT4 - Acceleration Inside