Mod questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 08:02 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Mod questions...

I was at the dealership today and when i asked about what i could do to my car, the sevice guy pretty much told me not to mess with anything. I would void parts of the warranty.

1)Headers................kills the catalytic converter (he said not equipped to handle the increased flow)

2)Springs/shocks.......cant align properly....kills the warranty on supspension

As a matter of fact he said only things i was allowed to do were change the wheels and put a CAI.

What gives? Is this true. If not...you guys must have a lot of $$$ to take those risks
Old 01-02-2002, 08:47 PM
White Lightning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahembullshitahem they only way they can void the warranty is if they can prove that the mods actually caused the failure.

You would have to ask Wayne or Jens
Old 01-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mod questions...

1)Headers................kills the catalytic converter (he said not equipped to handle the increased flow)
Hmmm... if the catalytic converter can't handle the flow, why does the conversion make so much power? The pulse timing is changed and this would account for better "scavenging" of the cylinders, but would not necessarily boost the flow by some obscene amount. The headers have much smoother flow and in my opinion gain the most power from their "nice" gas flow treatment. I think your guy needs a few more questions tossed his way. (e.g.: Are you saying you know that my car wont pass smog? [It has a CARB #/50-state smog legal ???]. Or are you saying that the converter will get blown-away? [That would be a first; a misfire would probably do more damage to it!] etc, etc)

2)Springs/shocks.......cant align properly....kills the warranty on supspension
IMO -- the bulk of the inside tire wear problems are due to toe-in problems, but I have no proof. Some people have inside wear with and without the springs. As long as you don't lower too far, you are only going to add a minimal amount of negative offset. (Check the threads and you will be driving around turns – yes/no?) The shocks have nothing to do with the alignment -- at least not in a way that I can figure.

As a matter of fact he said only things i was allowed to do were change the wheels and put a CAI.
This sounds like a case of, "I just don't know how to say 'I don't know...'"

It's ironic that the wheels could give you the most grief -- of all of the suggested options -- if you went with wide wheels with low offsets!

BTW -- I don't like to waste money *and* checked the headers and "other" options out in depth. Please call some other dealers and check the cl and tl boards!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Mod questions...

Originally posted by EricL

This sounds like a case of, "I just don't know how to say 'I don't know...'"

It's ironic that the wheels could give you the most grief -- of all of the suggested options -- if you went with wide wheels with low offsets!

BTW -- I don't like to waste money *and* checked the headers and "other" options out in depth. Please call some other dealers and check the cl and tl boards!
I got so much shit from Acura about my rims. When my rotors were messed up they told me the rims were over torqued, so therefore they wouldn't cut my rotors. Same with the brakes. Its just a big pain in the ass cause they blamed everything on my rims. Ill take it back when i throw my stockers on this weekend.... i hear snow is coming