Mobil 1 Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 10:58 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil 1 Synthetic

JUst gave my TL some 5w30 synthetic mobil 1. I heard once u go synthetic u cant go back........hoiw so? why? thanks
Old 05-29-2001, 11:39 PM
ACME sucks!

It's a recommendation, not a must. Talk to your mechanics.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-29-2001, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

You can switch back and forth between synthetic and petroleum based oils with no worries. It may have been an issue a long, long time ago (something about the seals expanding and contracting) but oils today are so advanced that that is no longer a problem.

------------------
'01 Blk/Blk CL-S, H&R OE Sport springs

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better."
Old 05-29-2001, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

oops. Didn't see your post here first MikeN. Your advice is probably best...
Old 05-30-2001, 12:09 AM
9th Gear

thanks, mobil 1 was expensive 5 bucks a qt
Old 05-30-2001, 12:28 AM
AWD Torque Monster

my car runs much smoother with mobil 1 and ill never switch back. i bought mobil one drive clean cuz thy were out of mobil 1 and i could definitely tell the diff. maybe im crazy but i swear this happened.

------------------
1997 Black Acura 2.2 CL
Currently-
PIAAs Everywhere, PIAA 1700X, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, OE Spoiler,
5% Tints (Limo), HKS Super Dragger Exhaust, AEM CAI w/Breather,
Venom 400
Comming Soon-
Headers or Ignition, Front Lip
http://members.home.net/vx16
Old 05-30-2001, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had good luck with Mobil 1 -- the inside of the engines run with Mobil 1 have always looked as clean as the day they were built. I've never had as good a luck with regular oils.

However, regular oils have come a long way, and I started using Mobil 1 Synthetic when it first came out -- so I've been using Mobil 1 for a very long time and NOT using regular oils for a long time too!

Once I find a product that works, I stick with it until someone can convince me that there is something better.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-30-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro

JimmPTL,

$5/quart!!!

Check out Walmart & Target. I buy mine for $3.88 and sometimes, I've seen a 5quart jug for $20; those disappears fast.

It's funny to me see you name; JimBaker ex-poohba of the PTL club. (no offense )

Any opinions on Castrol Synth??
Old 05-30-2001, 10:44 AM
'Cooter

so for those of us who take their babies to Acura to have them serviced, should we ask if they can put Mobil 1 instead of Quaker State, Agip, etc. which they have used in mine already?

------------------
Copyright 2001 ScooterKin Enterprises:

'01 CL Type-S: Red on Black

- PIAA 19224 road lamps
- mudguards
- moonroof visor
- fenderwell trim
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- the OLD cup holder
- ...last, but not least, the Xephyr CAI
Old 05-30-2001, 11:06 AM
Meat Popsicle

buy you mobile one in the big jug at WallMart, or in quarts at Sams Club ( If you have Sams).

Much cheaper either place.

------------------
lilfeat
01 CLS Red No Spoiler, No
Nav, No Payments
Old 05-30-2001, 11:49 AM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

what kind of oil do Acura dealers use? Honda motor oil or many other brands?
Old 05-30-2001, 12:01 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boeing747:
what kind of oil do Acura dealers use? Honda motor oil or many other brands?</font>
My understanding is that they use only Honda motor oil unless you request something else. If you do request another brand of oil, you must bring it in with you and they will give you a credit. But, the credit will only be equal to the price on the Honda oil.

I use Mobil-1 oil and filters and the dealer wanted way too much to change my oil. I usually go to Kwik Kar.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-30-2001, 12:54 PM
Banned

Everyone is being so aggreeable, but I'm going to break the trend. Motor oil is Motor oil under every day driving conditions. However, if you're out in the middle of Texas 200 miles from anywhere in 130 degree heat and your radiator goes dry you better have Mobil 1 in your motor of you are cooked. Otherwise, if you buy Mobil 1 you're just spending more money. I understand the need to get the best for your baby and Corvette, Viper, Porsche, BMW, and AMG can't all be wrong, but I agree with consumer reports that oil is oil.
All due respect to the guy that said he could "tell" the difference between oil changes, but I'd bet against you in a scientific test.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:13 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
scientific tests have produced facts that differen't oils produce differen't results
Old 05-30-2001, 01:42 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
And Honda/Acura dealerships, use what ever they can get the best deal on. Mine used Quaker shit oil, but not in my car ! They for sure don't use "honda" oil.....

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars,Kyocera Smartphone/Palm powered otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 05-30-2001, 01:54 PM
Drifting

What are the advantages to using synthetic oil instead of regular. It's almost time for the first oil change, but I have never used synthetic.

------------------
2001 CL-S White/Tan
non navi
* Spoiler
* Weel Locks
* Polarg m-6
* Red AEM CAI
Old 05-30-2001, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
[B I understand the need to get the best for your baby and Corvette, Viper, Porsche, BMW, and AMG can't all be wrong, but I agree with consumer reports that oil is oil.
All due respect to the guy that said he could "tell" the difference between oil changes, but I'd bet against you in a scientific test.[/B]</font>
tests are here read, read then pick one
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html
Also note Honda is not a oil company, they buy it then put their name on it. hummmm I wonder what they buy??? The oil companies don't want you to know that you can leave synthetic in for 15-20k miles with the proper filter. If we did that they would be out of business. Yes check out amsoil.com for lab tests. Also I've seen test results on synthetic at 15k that beats new 30w Halvoline (NASA uses this as a referance). It's a new mind set that the oil Co's are very afraid of.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Everyone is being so aggreeable, but I'm going to break the trend. Motor oil is Motor oil under every day driving conditions. However, if you're out in the middle of Texas 200 miles from anywhere in 130 degree heat and your radiator goes dry you better have Mobil 1 in your motor of you are cooked. Otherwise, if you buy Mobil 1 you're just spending more money. I understand the need to get the best for your baby and Corvette, Viper, Porsche, BMW, and AMG can't all be wrong, but I agree with consumer reports that oil is oil.
All due respect to the guy that said he could "tell" the difference between oil changes, but I'd bet against you in a scientific test.
</font>
I normally use Mobil 1 in my other car (a V8) and I could "tell" a diference whenever I switched to Red Line oil. The engine seemed a little more responsive. At $8/qt, I don't use it regularly but oils do make a difference.

One issue with that Consumer Reports study is that they used taxis (since they needed to get a lot of miles in a short period of time). Those cars were constantly running at normal operating temperature. Most wear on an engine comes from cold start-ups and short runs where the engine doesn't fully warm up. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I feel extra price for synthetics is a small price for the extra insurance and the cleaning capabilities they offer.

------------------
'01 Blk/Blk CL-S, H&R OE Sport springs

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better."
Old 05-30-2001, 03:42 PM
Racer

Check this site out

www.amsoil.com

These guys know their shit. We use there hydraulic oils, and they always send us detailed data sheets, etc..

They claim their oil is THE best synth. oil out there!
Old 05-30-2001, 04:06 PM
Instructor

I'd take that bet in a second. Motor oil is not just motor oil, under any driving conditions. Especially when you change a 3K mile old oil. You can feel the difference in performance but the most important one is in bearing and cylinder wear. That you'll notice after years of operation.

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 05-30-2001, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beach-CL:
I'd take that bet in a second. Motor oil is not just motor oil, under any driving conditions. Especially when you change a 3K mile old oil. You can feel the difference in performance but the most important one is in bearing and cylinder wear. That you'll notice after years of operation.

</font>
Funny thing -- I've taken my wife's car in for an oil change (without her knowledge). She has commented how great the car feels on more than one oil change.

So, I didn't tell her that I was changing her oil, but she said, "the car feels great, did you blow it out..."

I didn't blow the car out, just took it around the corner for an oil change for some new Mobil 1 5W-30 (for her Altima). She also notices a change when she changes the oil.

Sorry, I didn't do the experiment in a double-blind fashion -- but it is interesting that she notices the car being "smoother" after a 3000 mile change (Her driving style is stop-and-go, and the oil gets really dirty).

People, don't forget, miles are NOT the only thing changing between oil changes; there is also something called 'time'. A lot of nasty stuff collects in oil (whatever its brand name).

The expression "Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind" when I hear about people making fun of others who like to change fluids at regular and early intervals. (At least my corner gas station can do the work [labor is $5 with $5 tip (for beer after work)].)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 05-30-2001).]
Old 05-30-2001, 09:55 PM
Instructor

TO ME THAT'S ONE OF THE BEST OILS THAT'S ALL I USE

------------------
THE LOWER I GET THE MORE YOU SWEAT
Old 05-30-2001, 10:00 PM
ACME sucks!

</font>

Okay, I disagree. Mobil-1 is not that much more expensive. If I were using regular oil, I would change it every 3k miles, with the synthetic I change it every 6k miles. So, it's almost even. Now, the Mobil-1 filter is a different story. I change it every 6k miles, but it cost 5 times as much as a standard filter.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-31-2001, 11:17 AM
Pro

MikeN,

Check this is out: http://www.ntpog.org and look for the oil filter review. This guy Todd did a good job reviewing different filters.

I've been using bosch and stp.
Old 05-31-2001, 11:40 AM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RaleighNC:
MikeN,

Check this is out: http://www.ntpog.org and look for the oil filter review. This guy Todd did a good job reviewing different filters.

</font>
Very interesting. He states that the Mobil-1, Bosch, and STP filters are essentially the same. However, their prices vary substantially! Maybe I'll try the STP next time and same $7.11.

Have you noticed any difference between Bosch and STP?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-31-2001, 12:43 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RaleighNC:
MikeN,

</font>

STP and Bosch are not popular brands. Where do you get them? Thanks

Old 05-31-2001, 01:24 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tdtsai:

STP and Bosch are not popular brands. Where do you get them? Thanks

</font>

I believe AutoZone carries STP.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-31-2001, 01:31 PM
Racer

Raleighnc,

STP and Bosch are not popular brands. Where do you get them? Part numbers, please.Many thanks
Old 05-31-2001, 01:35 PM
Racer

STP and Bosch are not popular brands. Where do you get them? Part numbers, please. Many thanks
Old 05-31-2001, 02:23 PM
ACME sucks!

tdtsai,

Are you post whoring?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs