What do you think about it?
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...rformance.aspx
they say its good for 15K miles/1yr.

I bought 5qt at wallmart for $24.
what is GF-4 specification? It is not compliant with it
Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like good stuff. It's been out for a month of so now.
There's been a lot of talk in the oil forums.

Two caveats that everyone has noticed:
1) Expressly not recommended to be used while your car is under factory warranty (ie: ExxonMobil is not going to challenge the manufacturer's recommendations).
2) New oils are not energy conserving and don't have the EC starburst logo.

The additive packages seem quite good. A virgin oil analysis shows TBN of 15 which seems to have people excited. I'm not going to change my habits and go outside of manufacturer recommendations, however this may be something to consider for an out of warranty engine.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...;f=11;t=000267
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=1;t=009296
Old 02-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Well, 12 month or 15K miles is for normal driving only. Most of the people do combination of both, so I will probably change mine every 7.5K miles (which is still within manufacture recommended interval), even though my car is out of warranty.So you are saying its not as energy conserving as the regular Mobil 1 syn. oil?
I'd like to see some independent tests and oil analysis at 10K or 15K miles.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

whats messed up, they say if you drive under severe condtions then you should follow your manufacture's suggested interval.
Thats BS, you would expect a longer life even for severe condtions.
Perhaps they are claiming 15K miles only under super perfect condtions, like 100% pure highway driving...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by russianDude
Well, 12 month or 15K miles is for normal driving only. Most of the people do combination of both, so I will probably change mine every 7.5K miles (which is still within manufacture recommended interval), even though my car is out of warranty.So you are saying its not as energy conserving as the regular Mobil 1 syn. oil?
I'd like to see some independent tests and oil analysis at 10K or 15K miles.
It just came out, so we'll have to wait 6 - 12 months before people post their analysis results.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
with the standard mobil 1 5w30 i was running 8-10k change intervals and my driving is about as severe as it gets. my car idles all day long for work, and im very hard on it. every time i had the oil tested at that mileage i had atleast a 3.5 or higher TBN. i just switched to the 15k stuff and am looking forward to testing it out. (should be about 3-5 months for results from me)

oh fyi i have 171k on my 2000 TL
Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 AM
///M POWER

i saw this @ walmart but decided to go with the reg m1
Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
with the standard mobil 1 5w30 i was running 8-10k change intervals and my driving is about as severe as it gets. my car idles all day long for work, and im very hard on it. every time i had the oil tested at that mileage i had atleast a 3.5 or higher TBN. i just switched to the 15k stuff and am looking forward to testing it out. (should be about 3-5 months for results from me)

what concerns me is that this new oil, unlike regular M1 synthetic, is not energy efficent compliant. Which could mean less MPG.
How long does it take you to put 10K miles? I assume you change your oil filter only when you change oil?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY interesting,, hope mobil keep there formula std, they have been known to very,, also the initial lab results show a TBN of 13 NOT the advertised 15,, still 13 is higher than the Amsoil I use,, TBN 12 .5 at retail $8 per qt. The TBN war has just begun,, hopefully Amsoil will lower their prices,, right now the wholesale price of Amsoil 0w30 is $6.55. We have to watch the lab results from extended drain intervals (10k plus miles),, Everybody needs to remember,, you still need to change your ("good") filter at 5k (or 6months).
Old 02-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fender4
VERY interesting,, hope mobil keep there formula std, they have been known to very,, also the initial lab results show a TBN of 13 NOT the advertised 15,, still 13 is higher than the Amsoil I use,, TBN 12 .5 at retail $8 per qt. The TBN war has just begun,, hopefully Amsoil will lower their prices,, right now the wholesale price of Amsoil 0w30 is $6.55. We have to watch the lab results from extended drain intervals (10k plus miles),, Everybody needs to remember,, you still need to change your ("good") filter at 5k (or 6months).
what do you think about M1 Extended performance not meeting GF-4 specification? I think Amsoil only meets GF-3, but I know regular M1 synthetic oil meets GF-4 specification.
Is this something related to fuel efficency, perhaps this will result in less MPG?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Where is my super sauce?

...TBN of 13 NOT the advertised 15...

To use an expression that I hate: "My bad."
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm Back One MO' Gin

how much a quart is this stuff???
Old 02-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2ND_TIME_CLS
how much a quart is this stuff???
At wall mart they sell it for $5.70 per quart, but you can buy 5qt container for $24, which is about $5 per quart.
Regular M1 synthetic is like $4.70.

I am probably going to hold off using this oil, its very new, I want to see some results first, besides it is not compliant with couple of standards (GM and GF-4).
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

be like Willie Nelson...use cooking oil....LOL...
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

what do you think about M1 Extended performance not meeting GF-4 specification? I think Amsoil only meets GF-3, but I know regular M1 synthetic oil meets GF-4 specification.
Is this something related to fuel efficency, perhaps this will result in less MPG?
I haven't research the dif between GF-3 and GF-4,, maybe later,
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
what concerns me is that this new oil, unlike regular M1 synthetic, is not energy efficent compliant. Which could mean less MPG.
How long does it take you to put 10K miles? I assume you change your oil filter only when you change oil?
well i just put it in and took a trip to chicago. i averaged about 78-80 mph with the cruise set and with 4 people in the car and got 32.7 mpg. it isnt hurting mileage.

how long it takes me to put on 10k? in the spring and summer months i do about 1k miles a week.

and yes i only change teh filter at every change
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

well i just put it in and took a trip to chicago. i averaged about 78-80 mph with the cruise set and with 4 people in the car and got 32.7 mpg. it isnt hurting mileage.

how long it takes me to put on 10k? in the spring and summer months i do about 1k miles a week.

and yes i only change teh filter at every change
I would have your oil analyzed, the filters break down due to mosture,,
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I would have your oil analyzed, the filters break down due to mosture,,
Intresting, but M1 EP claims that you can do 15K miles using the same oil filter.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Intresting, but M1 EP claims that you can do 15K miles using the same oil filter.
ok,,, it's not the miles, it's the time... How long due they last until the mosture starts to break down the element?

also the butt smiley was not ment to be posted here,, sorry
Old 02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

also here is Amsoil Answer,, if Mobil has published tests results I would like to see them,,, due = do from above post

Amsoil answer

. Why does AMSOIL say to change the AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter at six months regardless of the mileage. I have only gone 5,000 miles and figure that I could go the whole year without changing it and be good.

A. Once an engine is run with new oil, byproducts of combustion are introduced into the oil. These byproducts are harmful chemicals that continue to degrade the integrity of the motor oil as well as the oil filter media even though the engine may be off. This is why a time limit is published as well as mileage. Short trip driving can be just as detrimental to motor oil and filters as high mileage use, and even more so in some cases. It’s possible that the oil is still intact at the end of the published time limit, but oil analysis would be needed to verify this. Heavy trucks use this practice regularly, however in small sump capacity engines, the cost of the test is nearly as much as the cost of an oil change.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

ok,,, it's not the miles, it's the time... How long due they last until the mosture starts to break down the element?

also the butt smiley was not ment to be posted here,, sorry
Well, they claim its 1yr or 15K miles using the same oil filter.
Thats what I read in one of their FAQ:

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters, or more frequent oil filter changes are not required.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, they claim its 1yr or 15K miles using the same oil filter.
Thats what I read in one of their FAQ:

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters, or more frequent oil filter changes are not required.

I used a Amsoil sdf 20 for 10 k miles, just wanted to see how it held up but it was on for only 4 months. My oil analysis reported a slightly high iron reading and the lab suspected the filter wasn't working correctly. I have since changed to a over size sdf44 and replace it every 5k miles. My last analysis showed very minimum iron. I am due this week for a oil change and analysis, I now have 81k on the car. I'm having fun doing testing on my car and verifing things. It cost a little more than normal but I can say with confidence that amsoil 0w30 can last 10k miles and the filter should be changed every 5k. NOTE:: this is for my car, which is driven 90 miles daily, mostly highway. OIL ANALYSIS must be completed to prove out assumptions.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I used a Amsoil sdf 20 for 10 k miles, just wanted to see how it held up but it was on for only 4 months. My oil analysis reported a slightly high iron reading and the lab suspected the filter wasn't working correctly. I have since changed to a over size sdf44 and replace it every 5k miles. My last analysis showed very minimum iron. I am due this week for a oil change and analysis, I now have 81k on the car. I'm having fun doing testing on my car and verifing things. It cost a little more than normal but I can say with confidence that amsoil 0w30 can last 10k miles and the filter should be changed every 5k. NOTE:: this is for my car, which is driven 90 miles daily, mostly highway. OIL ANALYSIS must be completed to prove out assumptions.
If you have slightly elevated iron levels, it does not mean that its unacceptable.
How do you really know which levels make your oil unacceptable and dangerous to your engine. I am sure engines have high tolerance for those things.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you have slightly elevated iron levels, it does not mean that its unacceptable.
How do you really know which levels make your oil unacceptable and dangerous to your engine. I am sure engines have high tolerance for those things.
correct , the levels are not unacceptable, it was just a indication the filter media might have been degrading at the 10k mark. there are two stage filter systems that go well into 20k miles before one stage filter is changed. I have seen data that these things make the synthetic oil last over 50k miles. (Long haul trucks). A filter system that costs $200 is out of reach for most cars. Still a fun filter for the cheap is a coffee can thing with a roll of toilet paper changed every 1k. Cost is pennies but works. VW diesel owners love this thing.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

I was just looking through my owners manual and it suggests 5w-20 oil. but you guys are all talking about 5w-30... is there any reason u guys use 30 over 20?

**New Owner of 03 CL-S**
So forgive if stupid question.
thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k3-CLS-BLACK
I was just looking through my owners manual and it suggests 5w-20 oil. but you guys are all talking about 5w-30... is there any reason u guys use 30 over 20?

**New Owner of 03 CL-S**
So forgive if stupid question.
thanks
Weight and viscocity are all determined by the weather in which you live in. a 5W-20 oil would work nice in a cool climate, but not during a hot, arid summer.

For example, the primary oil for So. Cali is 5W-30 because it covers a range of hot weather to the "cold" weather we also occasionally have.

But in an area that has 0 degree temps, 5W-30 would not be the brightest idea.

Honda recommends 5W-20 because it has been tested to be superb at both environmentally friendly and protection.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha Kris you are still 20K miles behind me! hahahahahahah
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Bostonian here... so i might just switch up w/ 20 when winter comes around. thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:23 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I dont understand you people, whats so hard about changing the oil every 3k miles? I would NEVER run any oil for 15k miles, since my car sees redline almost daily and some track use. Fresh oil = good oil. I dont care how slippery the oil is, water gets in there and degrades the quality. There is nothing better you can do for your engine than change the oil frequently.

My dad has a van with 215k hard driven miles on it. It gets no brand Murrays oil, but it gets changed every 4k miles. It runs perfect, and has never missed a beat. What more are you expecting to accomplish with $8/qt synthetic? Most people on here will be selling their car once it hits 100k anyways, so all that extra money spent is wasted. Just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jtkz13
I dont understand you people, whats so hard about changing the oil every 3k miles? I would NEVER run any oil for 15k miles, since my car sees redline almost daily and some track use. Fresh oil = good oil. I dont care how slippery the oil is, water gets in there and degrades the quality. There is nothing better you can do for your engine than change the oil frequently.
You should do some readings on this topic, its pretty complicated subject. The coments you make show that you don't know much about synthetic oil. If you change your syn. oil every 3K miles you are wasting your money.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Racing word is....

I have a few friends that race and have sworn by Mobile1 in the past.

Now, things have changed.

From what they all tell me is that these new oils that were just released a few weeks ago are nothing but a rebottled synthetic with no real gain whatsoever to the prior oils. All they're really doing is making three new handy dandy eye catching bottles, pourring in the oil and marking them up by a buck or two...

I'll stick to my regular...