misaligned trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 06:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
misaligned trunk

Hey.....i bought my cls new and the trunk is badly misaligned I can almost see inside the trunk from the side of the car.....has anyone else run into this problem???
Old 04-18-2001, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Yea,

Mine is not as bad as yours Squeek, but it's noticeable after a few close looks..
Just gota find the time to take her in and get the alignment done...also headlight alignment too

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

Blue Lady Dragon

Ferrari F355 Challenge Lap Times (Dreamcast):
-Motegi: 0'37"822 , sprint total 2'42"892
-Suzuka (short): 0'57"873
-Atlanta: 0'31"659
Old 04-18-2001, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Thanks KavexTrax, but the monkeys at the dealership were just muscling the trunk back into place....you shouldv'e seen the car rocking man!!!..I'm just going to try and do it myself......

Mine is not as bad as yours Squeek, but it's noticeable after a few close looks..
Just gota find the time to take her in and get the alignment done...also headlight alignment too

[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
2001 stock cls
mods coming soon as the cash does:p
Old 04-18-2001, 11:23 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

My Wife's 98 Accord has the misaligned trunk. If you look at the reveal from the rear, the right side is larger than the left.
Every Accord I have seen is this way.

------------------
01 CL-S San Marino Red/Black, K&N drop in, no nav, rear wing, otherwise stock thus far, has an appetite for Bavarian cars.
Old 04-18-2001, 01:25 PM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mine is also slightly misaligned....i took it to dealership and those bastards said they couldnt do anything about it. its not as bad as urs seems to be, but it is noticeable to me. how r u gonna do it urself?
Old 04-18-2001, 06:30 PM
Advanced

when i brought it into the dealership i was watching what they were doing...it seemed to be the trick cause everytime they would adjust it and try to close the trunk to see how their job turned out, it would either be better or worse....they lossened a couple bolts (the ones attached to the swinging arms), gave a push or a tug on the trunk lid and tested it (pure trial and error)...i think u have to be pretty forceful, but i will be much more careful than those grease monkeys on my baby!!!!

------------------
2001 stock cls
mods coming soon as the cash does
Old 04-18-2001, 06:45 PM
do it yourself, !

Those guys ar Montclair Acura in NJ tried fixing it by take a wrench to the arm of the trunk. Now I have huge marks on it, but I dont care really. I think it seemed to work, but I swear that service department sucks so bad!!

I bring it in for an oil change and I'm scared sometimes that they don't even do anything! And one time they washed my car and I saw a huge scratch on the hood about two feet long. It took me an hour to make them repaint my hood after creating a HUGE scene. Why cant everyone be like Park Ave? I hear so much about them, I can't wait to go there!

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S
Black - Ebony Interior - Spoiler - 20% Tint - Cleared Headlights

2000 Mercedes Benz E320
Black - Black Interior - Nav - Chrome AMG Rims
Old 04-18-2001, 06:51 PM
Advanced

that really sucks...you should definetly seek service eleswhere

------------------
2001 stock cls
Old 04-18-2001, 07:43 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

I think my trunk is a little off too. Can someone (squeeke or KavexTrax) post a couple of pics so I can see if what I've got is similar to your situation.

Also, I remember reading a complaint about other parts of the car not lining up perfectly. The solution in that case was to take it to a body shop where the panels were slightly tweaked to line things up better. (What that means exactly... who knows... but I read it here!)

------------------
Sid Vicious
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV in Silver | Mobil 1 |
1992 Ford Ranger XLT in Silver | F-150 Springs | 3" Body Lift | K&N Filter | Flowmaster Exhaust
Old 04-20-2001, 01:28 AM
Advanced

sorry Sid, i don't have a digi camera. But i can tell you this.........my trunk is so bad that if you were standing on the driver side rear corner of the car and bent low, you can almost see inside my trunk...the only thing blocking the view is the weather stripping!!!!it doesn't seem to leak though
there are also at least 9 other misaligned body parts but i don't know if i'm just nitpicking.....they seem pretty obvious to me though!!!

"tweaking" (in this case) means that they would shift or bend the metal/part into shape/alignment...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SidVicious:
I think my trunk is a little off too. Can someone (squeeke or KavexTrax) post a couple of pics so I can see if what I've got is similar to your situation.

Also, I remember reading a complaint about other parts of the car not lining up perfectly. The solution in that case was to take it to a body shop where the panels were slightly tweaked to line things up better. (What that means exactly... who knows... but I read it here!)

</font>

------------------
2001 stock cls
Old 04-20-2001, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SidVicious:

</font>
I'd be happy too..Friday afternoon ish or so..ill take some pics

------------------
- Kvit -

Blue Lady Dragon

Old 04-20-2001, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by langjae:
Those guys ar Montclair Acura in NJ tried fixing it by take a wrench to the arm of the trunk. Now I have huge marks on it, but I dont care really. I think it seemed to work, but I swear that service department sucks so bad!!

I bring it in for an oil change and I'm scared sometimes that they don't even do anything! And one time they washed my car and I saw a huge scratch on the hood about two feet long. It took me an hour to make them repaint my hood after creating a HUGE scene. Why cant everyone be like Park Ave? I hear so much about them, I can't wait to go there!

</font>
Maybe you should be more afraid IF they actually do something. I had a gang of Low-Q mechanics at the Nissan dealer tighten my wife's fan belt so tight, that it destroyed the alternator bearings (then the alternator), and the idler pulleys, and the water pump. (They couldn't hear the grinding sound, 'cause they did their noise checks right next to the 101 Freeway [I think on purpose]) (BTW -- the fan belt tightening was not requested. Every time the car goes in, I have to check it over. We tried other dealers, but they were even worse!

My dad put a set of American plugs and oil filters in his Mercedes 450SEL. He was busy, so the next service trip was to the dealer in Orange County. They charged him $450 for an oil and plug change. When he looked a few days later, he noticed his Champion spark plugs and Purolator filter were still in the car with dark colored oil -- and these guys were highly rated. He had to shame them into giving him a refund.

I had a slightly misadjusted muffler that required a 1 minute adjustment with 2 wrenches, I found the mechanic out back with a long screw driver and hammer. I told him to get away from the car -- RIGHT NOW!

It is time to find a new dealer. Go visit Jens. You are very lucky to have a dealer near by that cares about what they do! I can't drive 2500 miles for every service

As far as your current dealer -- Get them AWAY from the car.... away from the car

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 04-20-2001, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok. Here are the pics:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12653832&f=0

Front:
left headlight has a noticeable gap from the bumper...right side is fine

Rear:
notice the right side of trunk and the gap with the body's frame..left side is fine

------------------
- Kvit -

Blue Dragon Lady

Old 04-20-2001, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KavexTrax:
Ok. Here are the pics:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12653832&f=0

Front:
left headlight has a noticeable gap from the bumper...right side is fine

Rear:
notice the right side of trunk and the gap with the body's frame..left side is fine

</font>
The right trunk gap looks like sh*t. That needs a major fixing. New dealer time...

Can we have a new section called, "The rogue dealers gallery", with stories and names of lousy dealers. "Dealer-Cop"?

Name of offending dealer: xxxx

Offense: xxxxx

Ticket given:

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-21-2001, 12:56 AM
Intermediate

Squeeke,

If the trunk is mis-aligned that badly, find out from your dealer's service advisor who their body shop is, and MAKE him/her schedule an appointment so the body shop can properly re-align the trunk. If it can't be done, get the western regional Acura rep's name and deal with him personally.

Before I bought my car from Acura 101 West in Calabassas, I had been to 3 different Acura dealerships and I inspected 18 vehicles, all with poor fit/finish issues. The 19th car I saw was at Acura 101 West. It needed some door strike adjustments to align the doors properly. The service manager had the car in to their body shop BEFORE I put a deposit on the car. They also called me when the work was done so I could inspect the car and decide to purchase it or not.

Acura 101 West is First Class! Maybe they can help you -

Mint

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Parchment
AEM CAI
Comptech Headers
Old 04-21-2001, 02:18 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by langjae:

</font>
that sucks i agree get away from them fast and deal with park ave acura. they have built quite a list of customers from our site. they are excellent and the best dealership i have ever been to.