MB CLK320 vs Accord EX V6 6MT (Motor Trend, WTF?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably am in the minority, but I think the new MB interiors are cheaply made compared to the older MB's. My uncle has a 96 S500. Not THAT's a solid car. I sat in the new E500 and I wasn't impressed at all. I think BMW and Audi make MUCH better interiors (quality-wise).

I don't think the CLK320 is worth 2 Accords. Is it a better car? It better be for that price, but I think it's way overpriced.

Amir: You have this elitist fixation with German cars. They really aren't THAT much better. You will see once you hit a number of miles on your Audi. They may be more solid, but not nearly as reliable. How do I know? My friends/family are HUGE Audi fans - Here is a list of the cars I know people own: 5 A4's, 2 A6's, 2 S4's, 1 A8. Great cars, but not the most reliable.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,665 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally posted by amirsafdari
your too young to understand i think

drop it
BINGO!! Totally with you amir!!

As for the others:
Let me see if I understand this: The consensus on this thread is that people who (in general) seek to someday own an MB (or a BMW, to a lesser degree) are disillusioned and should be seeking something like a Honda instead. That'll be the day.

You guys act like the CLK is a POS Mustang. If quality was the name of the game for all of us, we would have all purchased a Lexus.

I like my Accord and my Maxima as they both represent alot of car for the money, but I'd dump them in a second for a CLK. Total no brainer.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Beltfed
You can't fairly compare an Accord to a MB.....let's be real.

Doesn't matter what's faster or handles better.

Would I spend $48k on a CLK320, no of course not. I would spend the extra cash and get a 500, well worth the upgrade. You get a beastly 302hp V8 and the AMG bodykit/wheels, those being the biggest reasons to get it.

All I know is my oldman's E500 Sport is a simply awesome car, getting out of that (the few times I have driven it) and back into my CL is depressing.
ok, didn't I already post video of this "beastly" clk430 v8 getting raped by a G35 coupe? even then people argued that the car was inherently better than the G35C, even though its v8 couldn't hold a candle to the nissan? when are we going to stop making excuses for over-priced, underperfoming vehicles, with badges??
Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by F23A4
BINGO!! Totally with you amir!!

As for the others:
Let me see if I understand this: The consensus on this thread is that people who (in general) seek to someday own an MB (or a BMW, to a lesser degree) are disillusioned and should be seeking something like a Honda instead. That'll be the day.

You guys act like the CLK is a POS Mustang. If quality was the name of the game for all of us, we would have all purchased a Lexus.

I like my Accord and my Maxima as they both represent alot of car for the money, but I'd dump them in a second for a CLK. Total no brainer.
for 50k, there are a lot of luxury coupes you could get that will give you acceleration and handling along with the badge!

used e46 m3,
lexus sc430
audi s4
loaded 330CI
etc.....
Old 01-23-2003, 10:34 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd take a CLK430 and up. If I had 50k+ I wouldn't even look a CLK320, when I can have an C32 AMG, S4, M3, GS4...which all have much better performance and are just as nice, if not nicer in some cases, interior wise.

I love the CLKs but I feel the 320 is asking too much at 45K+. I think the Accord is a great car but most people (young & old) rather step out of a CLK in front of a club or the opera. Just the way society tends to be. On the other hand I think most would be happy either driving the CLK or the accord on a long trip to wherever.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ferizzo
I'd take a CLK430 and up. If I had 50k+ I wouldn't even look a CLK320, when I can have an C32 AMG, S4, M3, GS4...which all have much better performance and are just as nice, if not nicer in some cases, interior wise.

I love the CLKs but I feel the 320 is asking too much at 45K+. I think the Accord is a great car but most people (young & old) rather step out of a CLK in front of a club or the opera. Just the way society tends to be. On the other hand I think most would be happy either driving the CLK or the accord on a long trip to wherever.
you can always put a benz badge behind your accord, and in traffic, most people driving behind you would be decieved, unless they know a lot about cars. Trust me, rices will start to do this once the car gets common.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by torqueaholic
ok, didn't I already post video of this "beastly" clk430 v8 getting raped by a G35 coupe? even then people argued that the car was inherently better than the G35C, even though its v8 couldn't hold a candle to the nissan? when are we going to stop making excuses for over-priced, underperfoming vehicles, with badges??
The CLK430 is a dated car, it came out in 99 for shit sakes.......it should get owned by a G35coupe. Which is another overpriced POS, add 2 packages and the car is $36-$37k.

The CLK500 has been tested to do 0-60 in 5.7sec, that's underperforming? Its a luxury coupe.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah, but since the cls is a rebadge of the 6th gen accord coupe, its now out-dated! so the beter choice is the "all-new" 7th gen accord coupe

Getting All Puffy aren't we ?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by Beltfed
The CLK430 is a dated car, it came out in 99 for shit sakes.......it should get owned by a G35coupe. Which is another overpriced POS, add 2 packages and the car is $36-$37k.

The CLK500 has been tested to do 0-60 in 5.7sec, that's underperforming? Its a luxury coupe.
I'm with the masses on this one. As one gets older, you should gain more success. With success comes better things in life, you tend to move up in vehicle/house/job and class. CLK vs accord was the stupidest thing motortrend could have done. I know their next issue will get a lot of hate mail for that. If I had 50 grand or more to blow on a car, will i even think about a honda accord, moreless a CLS? HELL NO. Even if the accord blew the doors off the benz, your still driving an accord. If i am driving the benz would I give a rats ass you put mods on the honda accord, and you system is louder and car is louder and your faster? NOPE! Benz has a certain character to it and certain class and if people can't see that, WAKE up from your rice boy dreams.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:22 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can always put a benz badge behind your accord, and in traffic, most people driving behind you would be decieved, unless they know a lot about cars. Trust me, rices will start to do this once the car gets common.
ha-ha, I'm sure they will! As a matter of fact, I'm sure you just gave some ricer a good idea!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong MB/AUDI/BMW has some tight rides but there are some which just are totally over prices not matter how much the ADAPTIVE steering does..........
Old 01-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

why should they be fired? they obviously had a benz bias, through out the aritcle! case in point, their comment about the 1/4mile acceleration: "the accord coupe is faster to 60, but the clk is gaining ground by the 1/4" PLEASE 14.5 @ 98.9mph vs 15.3@ 91mph is an oblitoration! gaining what ground????

next look at their comments after the accord man-handled the clk around the cones, and clearly takes turns faster than the benz, they'd pick the benz because of "rear wheel drive dynamics" at least the sats don't lie!
Why don't YOU drive YOUR car (you do own it, right?) at the track and see what type of numbers you get?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

you can always put a benz badge behind your accord, and in traffic, most people driving behind you would be decieved
ya, you'll really fool them alright... They'll say "there goes another C230... "
Old 01-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Bluto
Why don't YOU drive YOUR car (you do own it, right?) at the track and see what type of numbers you get?
BANG!!

cause ya know, bulls#$t runs a marathon!!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Bluto
the accord is a "sporty coupe", while the clk is a "sport coupe". Again, I'd cry if my 50 thousand dollar sports car ran a 15.3!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
I'm with the masses on this one. As one gets older, you should gain more success. With success comes better things in life, you tend to move up in vehicle/house/job and class. CLK vs accord was the stupidest thing motortrend could have done. I know their next issue will get a lot of hate mail for that. If I had 50 grand or more to blow on a car, will i even think about a honda accord, moreless a CLS? HELL NO. Even if the accord blew the doors off the benz, your still driving an accord. If i am driving the benz would I give a rats ass you put mods on the honda accord, and you system is louder and car is louder and your faster? NOPE! Benz has a certain character to it and certain class and if people can't see that, WAKE up from your rice boy dreams.
well if you want hood ornaments on your car, such as symbols, and gay-looking silver jaguars then by all means be my guest! if you want to run with the grey haired, wrinkled ballz crowd then please help yourself. Is it such a sin to point out that the benz, is clearly overpriced, for what it offers?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
ya, you'll really fool them alright... They'll say "there goes another C230... "
You know its just a matter of time, before it starts happening! I mean just look at the back end of both silver cars in the motortrend review! once ricers start doing this, over the summer, It will cheapen the "Benz-image", and I know I won't want my clk after that happens :P
Old 01-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

you are really full of your self torquey ...
Old 01-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

the accord is a "sporty coupe", while the clk is a "sport coupe". Again, I'd cry if my 50 thousand dollar sports car ran a 15.3!

Accord is an "econo" (or mid class) sport coupe.

CLK is a luxury sport coupe.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Banned

Accord is an "econo" (or mid class) sport coupe.

CLK is a luxury sport coupe.
but you can't decide the winner of a comparison test based on percieved "luxury" or status! especially when you perform extensive tests to verify the word "sport" attached to the two cars!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

hmmm...

If some POS loking civbic was dug out of a hole and looked like hell on wheels yet managed to run the 1/4 a second faster than your accord, and cost 15 Grand less this car would interest you?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Banned

here's an old thread on the mb forums already covering this topic:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...t=accord+coupe

its an intresting read!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

certianly is, thanks for digging it up.

I liked what Norm brought up about Motor Trend compairison between the S500 vs the Mercury Marader.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Banned

here's my favorite part:

quoteriginally posted by JJunkins:
I would rather spend $70,000 soupin up a Honda Accord V6 coupe than buy a CLK55. It would be much faster and definitely more reliable.

Andrew k: Are you writing this from the mental hospital?

Old 01-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

here's my favorite part:

I would rather spend $70,000 soupin up a Honda Accord V6 coupe than buy a CLK55. It would be much faster and definitely more reliable.

bwhahahahahhahaha
Old 01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

If anyone bothered to read the article they say the CLK is a better car, Accord is a better value. Only simple minded idiots look solely at numbers...

I'm excited that the '04 TL/CL will be based off this excellent Accord!
Old 01-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

here's my favorite part:

The irony is that the resale value on that souped up Accord wont be any higher souped up than it was stock, and definitely wont be as valuable as a CLK55.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

I agree with all of the above post
Old 01-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Dude, chill out. It's not a serious comparison...I think the article actually stated it was a little silly. IMO they basically said "Here are two nice coupes that look similar. Just for fun, let's compare them. And oh, by the way, you can get two of these for the price of this."

people are over reacting to this article. if you're a real car enthusiatist, it's interesting to read articles like this and see how technology is evolving. and sometimes you can only fully appreciate something, not by studying the hell out of it, but by comparing it to something else. the overall tone of the article was lighthearted and more of a "hey check this out" type of thing.

how do you think Audi S4 owners felt when the Subie WRX came out? how do you think MB and BMW felt when Lexus came out? let's not even get into whether or not the market will accept a $70,000 VW (Phaeton). there's always conflict and contradiction in the automotive world. it's us - the consumers that win. as auto companies compete with each other for our business, we're the ones that get better and better products - like an Accord that's as fast as an MB

if you want the three point star on your grill, go for it, but i don't think i'm going out on a limb saying that most people don't care about the status. the smart people are going for the "sleepers" like the Accord - able to run with the big dogs but can slip into the pack and fade away when the fuzz comes after you to give you that 105mph ticket .
Old 01-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

You seem obessed with 1/4 mile times, should have bought a mustang GT.

Your accord can do the 1/4 in 9.06, drive it off a cliff.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

hahhahaha....if i soup up a Geo metro and run 9s....and do all the aftermarket stuff...would you buy it?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Pro

Why have a number of you quoted the CLK320 at $50,000

Are you nuts. The cabro maybe....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rd/index4.html

Maybe you should read the article:

new Accord base price $25,900 as tested $26,360

new CLK320 base price $43,900 as tested $49,640

Hey the MB is undoubtedly the better car, it's just a matter of whether an individual thinks it's worth the extra ca$h, a totally subjective determination
When you look at the Accord & look at the new MB it's a nice illustration how far cars have come in the last 10yrs & contrasts
what differences there may be at the different price points
Look how much the bar has been raised, it forces every maker to continously improve the product & we all benefit

More often than not to get that last 'nth degree of fit/finish or refinement the cost goes up exponentially

The new Accord offers a lot of value for the cash and it's NO MB but for $44-50k I'd seriously consider other cars on the market over the CLK320
Old 01-23-2003, 02:40 PM
whoXwanXsum

fuck the ugly stupid accord.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by cnatra
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rd/index4.html

Maybe you should read the article:

new Accord base price $25,900 as tested $26,360

new CLK320 base price $43,900 as tested $49,640

I did read it but overlooked that figure... that nuts for a 320. Its forth the extra cash to get the 8 cyl. IMO.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

that nuts for a 320. Its forth the extra cash to get the 8 cyl. IMO.
I agree. It's insane to pay 50 large to only get 6 cylinders.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dbox
fuck the ugly stupid accord.
Your a retard!
Old 01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by F23A4
I agree. It's insane to pay 50 large to only get 6 cylinders.
M3?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I probably am in the minority, but I think the new MB interiors are cheaply made compared to the older MB's. My uncle has a 96 S500. Not THAT's a solid car. I sat in the new E500 and I wasn't impressed at all. I think BMW and Audi make MUCH better interiors (quality-wise).

I don't think the CLK320 is worth 2 Accords. Is it a better car? It better be for that price, but I think it's way overpriced.

Amir: You have this elitist fixation with German cars. They really aren't THAT much better. You will see once you hit a number of miles on your Audi. They may be more solid, but not nearly as reliable. How do I know? My friends/family are HUGE Audi fans - Here is a list of the cars I know people own: 5 A4's, 2 A6's, 2 S4's, 1 A8. Great cars, but not the most reliable.
this is my second german car acutally.

i've owned 3 japanese cars
1 domestic
and 2 german cars.

these are not including all the cars my parents owned....

german cars always feel better to drive, and feel more solid.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Dunbar
M3?
always an exception.

Porsche is another.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Race Director

You guys need to realize that 90% of CLK320 buyers WILL NOT FUCKING CARE ABOUT 1/4 MILE

They are the woman, wives, the men that have different hobbies and dont really speed, the fathers that drive around mainly with the family, the asian real estate agent that needs a nice MB, the business man that needs a nice commuter cause traffic is horrible., the 26 year old that wants his first classy car...the proffessor that enjoys the finer things...

the car is not meant for racers.

its about CLASS, and dont give me the badge thing, cause we all like badges. I mean shit, the clothes at Wallmart will keep us clothed too, but we still pay more for the nicer names.

A nice classy black CLK will never ever give off the impression of a accord.

Quick Reply: MB CLK320 vs Accord EX V6 6MT (Motor Trend, WTF?)