manual 3rd gear chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:19 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jtkz13

I follow cls6s' exact launching style, altho I am not patient enough to rev match every upshift. I let the syncros do their job on upshifts and while not quite as smooth as a rev matched upshift it is much quicker and causes the clutch no harm.

At first rev matching in my 6MT did take some patience to master. But now it second nature to me where I don't even think about doing it. Basically, it all pivots around timing; clutch peddle foot action, shifting and gas pedal action. I'm glad I took the time to learn rev matching cause it makes the car even more enjoyable to drive.

BTW - I heard some engine shuttering this morning when I let the revs get too low in 2nd gear ( I wasn't awake yet). I simply down-shifted into 1st gear.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could it be the helical limited slip????

or motor mount????
Old 01-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you guys are giving too much gas pedal during release of the clutch; either off the line or between up-shifts.

I've been driving MTs for over 35 years and only have experienced this type of clatter/shutter if I'm driving car incorrectly or had a bad clutch, pressure plate and/or flywheel.

Here's how I drive a MT:
  • Off the line (daily driving): I let out the clutch easily until car starts to roll and continue to do this without applying any gas until RPM starts to drop too low. I only add a very slight amount of gas to just bring up the RPM slightly until clutch is fully engaged. Then and only then do I give it more gas to accelerate as needed. I always try to minimize slipping the clutch; especially while giving it gas. If I follow the above example, I've never experienced the chatter people have described here on my CLS 6MT.
  • Up Shifting: I never apply any gas while up shifting until clutch has been fully engaged. In addition, because of the dual-mass clutch/flywheel the RPMs tend to rise slightly when clutch is depressed during up-shifting. I time my up-shifting and clutch engagement to where the is no clutch slippage during clutch engagement. In other words, I always try to match clutch speed (road speed) to flywheel speed (engine speed) during the clutch engagement.

Driving stick is an art, some people are masters at it and others only get by. I'm somewhere in between because I only get prefect roll-offs, up-shifts and down-shifts about 90% of the time.
this definitely is not being caused by the way people are shifting like you say (giving gas while releasing clutch). I thought the same thing when I experienced it, but I knew I had the clutch fully released and no gas what-so-ever. with my 6-speed, I feel it more with 2nd gear than anything... slightly with third, and always when the car is cold, and occasionally when the car is warmed up. not until i'm driving for some time does the shifting in those 2 gears get smoother. I can feel it right in the shifter when going into 2nd from 1st or 3rd (like someone already said,vibration like the gear is almost going to grind) you can feel it almost jump back on forth a little bit on god knows what before it just falls into the gear. I'd really like to know what the cause for this is, even though I'm going to bring the car in to the dealer anyway... maybe they have somewhat of a solution or see if it needs some type of adjusting... even just to check the whole tranny out in general. maybe the clutch is bad after all. i guess it can't hurt.
if anyone else has had this issue, please keep posting about it and if you've come up with anything that has resolved it.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 AM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by aspar
this definitely is not being caused by the way people are shifting like you say (giving gas while releasing clutch). I thought the same thing when I experienced it, but I knew I had the clutch fully released and no gas what-so-ever. with my 6-speed, I feel it more with 2nd gear than anything... slightly with third, and always when the car is cold, and occasionally when the car is warmed up. not until i'm driving for some time does the shifting in those 2 gears get smoother. I can feel it right in the shifter when going into 2nd from 1st or 3rd (like someone already said,vibration like the gear is almost going to grind) you can feel it almost jump back on forth a little bit on god knows what before it just falls into the gear. I'd really like to know what the cause for this is, even though I'm going to bring the car in to the dealer anyway... maybe they have somewhat of a solution or see if it needs some type of adjusting... even just to check the whole tranny out in general. maybe the clutch is bad after all. i guess it can't hurt.
if anyone else has had this issue, please keep posting about it and if you've come up with anything that has resolved it.
What RPMs do people hear this chatter/shutter?
Old 01-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having the car through a few summer/winter cycles now I am 100% certain that this is cold weather related. When the temp. is above 50 degrees the shifting is nice and smooth.
My suspicion has always been that this clutch material/surface does not behave well in colder ambient temps.

Can we get a quick response from guys who see the colder weather vs.. those don't ???
Old 01-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Cruisin'

Exclamation RPM & temperature

RPMs are 2500 up to 4000 or so and it will do it in third gear

temp wise I live in minnesota and it has be 40 degrees and lower
i went to florida recently and it was 60+ degrees when i was there and i could get it to do it in both cold a semi-warm temps (remember i live in minnesota- but i dont recall it before temps this year dropped below 35 degrees) now I have started a monster-i will have to see if it does it during summertime, 4 months to go
Old 01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Cruisin'

????????

i guess this is a mystery
Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 AM
Advanced

well i'm not getting what your talking about, i'm getting this grind when i put the car in third over 3000 rpm....
Old 02-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

its not a grind
its a true chatter feel
Old 02-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro

Ok...after experimenting alot over the last week or so it definitely is not as noticible if the RPM are kept high when shifting. Let them drop and the chatter/awful shift comes around.
also it seems like 2nd into 3rd is the worst
Old 02-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Safety Car

Sorry, I can't help.
haven't even started my car in two months
but my trans always seemed very smooth...

But i live in
<---
Old 02-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bullaculla
Sorry, I can't help.
haven't even started my car in two months
but my trans always seemed very smooth...

But i live in
<---
what
Old 02-20-2006, 09:02 PM
DeeSaw

I have the clutch chatter problem on my 6-speed too. I'm from Minnesota and I only have the problem during the winter when it's cold out. I had my car at Buerkle Acura a couple of times last year and they were not able to diagnose it. I called them just recently to see if anyone else was complaining of the problem. Turns out another person did and I guess the Acura dealer replaced the clutch, but the problem continued. The dealer called Acura's engineers about the issue and found out it's a design issue on the clutch plate. The vibration gets so bad sometimes that I don't even want to drive my car - especially with passengers as it get worst with more weight and it's very embarassing. Does anyone know a fix or if Acura plans on doing anything about it. I'm going to start seriously bitching to Acura as I'm fed up with the problem.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Pro

I have noticed that if you don't push the clutch down alot ... just push it halfway in ... then shift .... it NEVER HAPPENS.

Try it.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced

From first to second gear I will sometimes buck the car but I think that is driver error unless I have a motor mount issue. Anybody else have that happen?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Relax!

I have had this occur a few times before. It was always my thought that the clutch is very picky about the conditions in which you shift. ie. the speed you let out the clutch in relation to the engine speed and it is more sensitive to this when it is colder. 99% of time for me it is silky smooth. BTW I too have only experienced this shifting into 3rd gear as well.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
DeeSaw

Thanks for the advice on pushing the clutch in only half way when shifting. I have not had a chance to fully test this yet, but so far while doing this I have not felt the vibration. After I drive the car some more I'll know if it truely helps since the vibration can vary significantly from day to day depending on temperature, etc. Did you come up with this technique by trial and error or is there some logical reason why it works? Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:03 PM
CLS 6 Speed

Hey this just started to happend to my car and only on 3rd gear and my clutch is new it only has about 5k and the car has 48k and weather is not an issue since I live in PR. I'm taking the car to the dealer on saturday to see what they tell me, I will keep you posted
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jtrask
Thanks for the advice on pushing the clutch in only half way when shifting. I have not had a chance to fully test this yet, but so far while doing this I have not felt the vibration. After I drive the car some more I'll know if it truely helps since the vibration can vary significantly from day to day depending on temperature, etc. Did you come up with this technique by trial and error or is there some logical reason why it works? Thanks again.
This design is different than most other MT's I have driven in the past.
I don't know the tech. aspects but it does not behave in the classic MT way.
I just noticed one day that if you go far down with the clutch it doesn't shift well.
At first I thought you had to go down all the way on the clutch or else it will wear like crazy but now it seems like it is happier that way.
Also try to make the clutch motion/shifter motion as one fluid motion and not like two separate actions.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

IMO, it depends how you drive. Happens on mine sometimes, not often, but sometimes. It's usually when I drive really soft (i.e. let clutch out slowly & accelerate slowly).
Old 03-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

I have chatter problems on my 6 speed. But they are in almost every single gear. I also have over 60k miles.. But the clutch never slips...

but it chatters really really bad, unless i rev the shit out of it... then it's bearable.

This is retarded, I can't believe a Honda/Acura has this as a common issue.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Keep the clutch updates coming....they replaced my clutch after I kept feeling it chatter and felt it slipping. They refused to cover it (even at 46K miles) and insisted that it was a wear item. I did pay for it but am going to be writing a letter to Acura to complain about their crappy design and how I was led around in circles when trying to get Acura client services to look at the issue. This was a very disappointing experience (and very expensive).
Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Advanced

I just started having this issue not too long ago. I've got 43K on my car and I've got a WICKED bad shutter going into 3rd and sometimes into 2nd. It has nothing to do with my driving style. I took it into the dealer and they are going to have to tear the tranny apart....
Old 03-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

They did that with mine and told me it was just normal wear and tear.....had to shell out $1200 to get the clutch replaced.....flywheel was okay though so they didn't replace that.

Filed a complaint with Acura Client Services and they wouldn't pay either. Let us know what your dealer says.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 PM
CLS 6 Speed

My CLS is in dealer right now and they took the tranny off and found that the problem is the 3rd gear synchro and theyre replacing it, I should have the car back on friday, I hope that the problem gets fixed , I'll keep you posted on the results.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

My shifting didn't feel so great either, until I changed the tranny fluid. It feels much more smoother now. Could it just be my perception? Possibly, but I think I am going to change my fluid more frequently to keep shifting optimal.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:38 PM
The MAN....who else?

Mine has been doing it also...
I will talk to a manager I know at the local dealer who likes to cruise with me sometimes....maybe he can find something out or figure out a loop hole of sorts...

Mine isnt so so bad, but anything from an Acura is not good!!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 PM
boosted is best

Almost 60k miles (40k with CTSC) and no clutch issues.

Originally Posted by racersir
Hey this just started to happend to my car and only on 3rd gear and my clutch is new it only has about 5k and the car has 48k and weather is not an issue since I live in PR. I'm taking the car to the dealer on saturday to see what they tell me, I will keep you posted
I don't understand how you can get chatter in 3rd gear unless you're slipping the clutch when upshifting; which I don't recommended and is completely unnecessary.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I guess I have to be in the car & feel it.
I don't think I have any of these chatter issues.

Sometimes if I shift into 2nd at high RPM or redline hard it will grind a sec. Always goes into gear, & doesn't slip though.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:20 PM
CLS 6 Speed

Hey guys finally got the car back from the dealer today they replaced the 3rd gear synchro under warranty, I took it for a test drive and the chatter is gone, they told me that the synchro was in very bad shape and that was reason for the chatter on the tranny. I hope this helps guys
Old 04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
boosted is best

How in the world would a bad synchro cause clutch chatter? Clutch chatter is normally caused by a burnt clutch disc, bad pressure plate or a leaking oil seal that contaminates the clutch with oil. A bad synchro would only cause grinding of gears when shifting.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM
DeeSaw

Angry Clutch chatter is back with the cold weather

I live in Minnesota and have issues with clutch chatter (if that's the proper term) during cold weather. This will be my 3rd winter with the car and the vibration has come back now that it's cold out again. Basically the car vibrates when I shift gears at normal driving rpms. The vibration is the worst when starting out from a stop and shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I posted on this last winter and someone suggested pushing the clutch in half way when shifting as that took care of their problem. I tried this and it worked for the rest of the winter so I learned how to drive this way. Now that it's cold out again the conditions are right for the vibration, but unfortunately pushing the clutch in half way is not doing the trick anymore. It basically vibrates all the time no matter how I use the clutch. If I shift at high rpms the vibration doesn't occur. Does anyone else have this problem right now? I only have a couple thousand miles left on my warranty and really want this fixed. It is embarrasing trying to drive the car with a passenger as it's almost impossible to avoid the vibration due to the extra weight. Yesterday my co-worker commented on the vibration while we were driving to lunch. He asked if my clutch was failing. It pisses me off because I'm one of the few at my work that prefer Japanese cars and I'm always trying to defend them and argue how reliable they are compared to the domestics. This problem doesn't do much to support my case. I'm going to try to get Acura to do something, but they'll probably just stick to their story that it's the clutch plate and that is how it behaves during cold weather.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
when you say chatter, does it sound like radio static or frequency when the car is in gear and rolling at a decent RPM? I have that in 2nd gear up high going around a turn, very minor, thought it was normal.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nothing chatter like here. maybe when cold
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 AM
DeeSaw

Maybe chatter is not the right word. When shifting gears there is an annoying vibration or shutter that you can actually feel. If I don't taylor my driving to minimize the vibration it can get really bad where it sounds like the whole dash is going to crack. I should probably post this as a new thread with a better description of the problem.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Chatter (or jitter) is the right word. My car started doing it too once the weather became really cold (I live in Boston). If feels like the clutch is slipping and reengaging rapidly while the clutch pedal is coming up. It's a bastardly thing.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
From my experience with older MT's, clutch chatter was caused by either:
  • Burnt Clutch
  • Scourched Flywheel
  • Broken Presure Plate
  • Oil on the Clutch disk
I know what you mean about the chatter but I think you would do well to look into the last of these three possibilities as causes. my 6-mt does the same kind of thing and I am hearing a lot of people saying they can get their cars to do it esp in cold weather but it sounds like your issue is more noticeable than average. I would suggest looking into these possibilities and also have a couple of people form the acura place drive the car and see what their gut is on the problem. All the times I've had 'mystery' problems with my acura or my honda the best fix was taking it to the dealership and letting 2 or 3 mechanics drive it. every time it was either something I was doing wrong or something that I wouldn't have thought of.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I had this in the cold tempratures, like the shifter gets a slight vibration. Ask to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled with the updated formula, I believe it was addressed with this since it is ALOT less than before in my car.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

I'm a new CL-S owner and am having the clutch shudder problem (only when the clutch is cold, however). Any updates on this issue?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

I finally managed to capture the clutch shudder on video (albeit low quality cell phone video). I was accelerating from 30 mph up a slight incline, on a smooth road. I was shifting into 3rd gear on partial clutch engagement. As soon as I completed engagement, it went away. It only happened once on this drive, even though I tried to replicate the circumstances a few minutes later.

This clutch and flywheel were replaced at the dealer last April, and have only 10,000 miles on them.

It was very loud, and shook the entire car. You'll hear it near the end, followed by shouts of happiness that I finally recorded the event.

It generally only happens once or twice on a given drive, and the car has to be cold (outside temp around 35 - 40, and the car has to sit for at least 30 minutes).

I seriously doubt this is normal. I suspect I have some clutch components that are wearing prematurely or are simply defective.

Anyone else experiencing this or had any success fixing it?

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...ch_Shudder.flv

cheers,
--Seth Bowden

Quick Reply: manual 3rd gear chatter?