Lost to a GS400 BUT!....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 03:07 PM
I hate the Mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost to a GS400 BUT!....

....I have lost respect for them. I mean, this was my 1st "real" street race and I totally f*cked up! I decided to gate shift and I did have SRS off...

So, we were on Lansdowne ave. in Upper Darby PA and were the 1dt two at the light, side-by-side. He creeped up to the light so I new it was on!

As soon as the light turns I get more wheel spin then the wheel on the Price is Right...Anyway, he gets a 1/2 car jump but by the top of first gear I am starting to pull, and then it happens...

I forget to shift to secondand hit the rev limiter ( Damn headers!)

So my momentum is lost, he gains another 1/4 car length lead and I then shift to second, I start to pull on him again and then it happens again....damn limiter ( but thank God for it in reality)!

So by third gear, we only make it a half way through the gear when we are forced to shut down because of traffic )0=

I AM 100% positive that if I could actually drive my car, I would of smoked that V8 GS4! Yes he was stock and I have the I/H,....I am just so pissed, even though he won, he THINKS he has the quicker car.....Damn, Im gonna go get my tires properly inflated and....No, on 2nd thought--Im gonna go pick up some stickier tires tommorrow....Screw the stock tires damnit, He had a perfect launch ( compared to me) and I still came close to beating him...

Like I said, my respect is lost for the LEX, sorry LEX fans. I don't care what any Lexus fan thinks, a stock GS400 vs. my slightly modded CL-S would LOSE!

Mike
Old 09-02-2002, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i think you're right...toyo t1-S 235/45 at treadepot.com about 150$ ea. or for a lowered gearing you might concider 225/45 othe same make and modle
Old 09-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Racer

Re: Lost to a GS400 BUT!....

Originally posted by mc222@aol.com
....I have lost respect for them. I mean, this was my 1st "real" street race and I totally f*cked up! I decided to gate shift and I did have SRS off...
Isn't it dangerous to turn your airbags off before a race? :sqnteek: Just kidding
Old 09-02-2002, 09:56 PM
STi

I'm waiting for 1sicklex to *chime*.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Mugen Racing Team

IMO i don't really think a header and CAI can help you "beat" the V8 monster... it'll help from you from getting raped...
Old 09-03-2002, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
acutally the CLS with headers and intake do well against the gs400 at low end... now if you were on the highway.. i think the GS v8 would smoke ya.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:15 AM
I hate the Mets

Im sure he would too ( at top end) but like I said, From a stop, I am confident I could take a stock GS4....Assuming I dont screw up again!!! Damn, Im gonna go hunt me some lexus!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:54 AM
Pro

Im sure he would too ( at top end) but like I said, From a stop, I am confident I could take a stock GS4....Assuming I dont screw up again!!! Damn, Im gonna go hunt me some lexus!
I believe in stock form you could keep up or even beat a stock GS400. It all depends on who gets the better launch. Why do I make this statement? It's because I ran against one on the 1/4 mile track. He actually had an intake, removed exhaust resonator, and 17" stock rims.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:54 AM

I'm waiting for 1sicklex to *chime
HERE I AM! Now remember ladies and gentlemen, I have lot's of respect for the speed of the Type-S. I have never raced a modded CL-S before so I cannot argue with the dude with the extremely long handle

I DID just drive a 6-speed CL-S extensively Sunday. MY CL buddy brought him over, 2 months old 10K MILES ALREADY . He threw me the keys and said take it for a drive (I also showed him the MUCH SLOWER ES 300 5-speed manual:o ).

Damn this car is fast, faster than the auto for sure. Chirped 2nd with no problem. Man it was like I owned this car, I was hitting 7000rpm every time! Torque steer slightly, car is floaty at speeds and handles VERY WELL at 80mph in a 35zone considering FWD.

I won't go into dislikes, not much (not like I'm buying the car).

I figure if your modded car is as fast as the manual, it will be a VERY close race.

Back to the handle dude. Why the hell would u add headers etc etc etc if you can't drive your car????? Why? SRS off? U mean VSA, or VSC (whatever) right? If u had that much wheelspin and he did not, the lead he had would have been A LOT bigger, not a CAR THING a physics thing.

1/2 way through 3rd gear is what 70mph+ correct? U hit the rev limiter TWICE? I know when I race and if I EVER fock up using E-Shift to a car that is similar in speed, I will LOSE the race and just give up.

So please plug the holes in your story. I am not arguing that a modded CL-S can meet or beat a GS 400, I am arguing your story.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:45 AM
Advanced

So, we were on Lansdowne ave. in Upper Darby PA and were the 1dt two at the light, side-by-side. He creeped up to the light so I new it was on!

As soon as the light turns I get more wheel spin then the wheel on the Price is Right...Anyway, he gets a 1/2 car jump but by the top of first gear I am starting to pull, and then it happens...

So my momentum is lost, he gains another 1/4 car length lead and I then shift to second, I start to pull on him again and then it happens again....damn limiter ( but thank God for it in reality)!

So by third gear, we only make it a half way through the gear when we are forced to shut down because of traffic )0=

I AM 100% positive that if I could actually drive my car, I would of smoked that V8 GS4! Yes he was stock and I have the I/H,....I am just so pissed, even though he won, he THINKS he has the quicker car.....Damn, Im gonna go get my tires properly inflated and....No, on 2nd thought--Im gonna go pick up some stickier tires tommorrow....Screw the stock tires damnit, He had a perfect launch ( compared to me) and I still came close to beating him...

Like I said, my respect is lost for the LEX, sorry LEX fans. I don't care what any Lexus fan thinks, a stock GS400 vs. my slightly modded CL-S would LOSE!

Mike
I never drove an auto Type-S, but in the 2000 TL the 1st-to-2nd shift was automatic in SS. There was no way one could hit the rev limiter in 1st gear. Is the Type-S different?
Old 09-03-2002, 06:17 AM
Racer

I never drove an auto Type-S, but in the 2000 TL the 1st-to-2nd shift was automatic in SS. There was no way one could hit the rev limiter in 1st gear. Is the Type-S different?
The type S is the same. 1st to second in SS is automatic. On my car, if I leave it in full auto, sometimes it won't even shift at redline. It will shift into 2nd at arount 6600rpms.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
acutally the CLS with headers and intake do well against the gs400 at low end... now if you were on the highway.. i think the GS v8 would smoke ya.
Mmm dunno about that....6MT is VERY strong up top. Better gear ratios and lower final drive helps a ton and with addition of the headers.....i think it'd be close.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:02 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Mike
A little cocky here???!!!! I beat two GS400s but I won't brag about it no more. One was official and the other didn't know what the hell he was doing. I wouldn't go around saying you lost respect for them tho, imo. They are nice cars, if fully hooked up right.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:11 AM
I hate the Mets

I have lost respect for those owners who drive it because of the Lexus name and think it is the next best thing since sliced bread....Sure, they are beautiful cars--One of the only cars I have fell asleep in while being a back seat passenger. Anyway, around my way it isn't uncommon to see teenage kids and young college students ( Villanova especially) driving a nice Lexus GS's (like assholes )bought by mommy and daddy of course....

But other then that...Hell yeah Im cocky! I was disappointed in the GS4-- But I was also disappointed I forgot how to dive! So all-in-all I suppose it was a pyric victory of sorts for him.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:39 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyway, around my way it isn't uncommon to see teenage kids and young college students ( Villanova especially) driving a nice Lexus GS's (like assholes )bought by mommy and daddy of course....

unfortunately i know exactly what you are talking about. little pricks...........one kid on campus drives a 330ci coupe around like he is king shit.....I wanted to track him down and propose a race just to smack him down.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:12 AM
I hate the Mets

extremely long handle here...

Yes I meant VSA--Oops.
Your right--I should learn to drive my car before racing it--I was VERY disappointed in myself.

He did have very little wheel spin...But when you sit there like an ass ( like I did) just burning your tires, the opponent tends to get quite a large lead.

But like I said, I do like the car, just not most of the drivers driving them who think its the next coming of Christ.

Oh well--

Old 09-03-2002, 09:52 AM
I hate the Mets

The type S is the same. 1st to second in SS is automatic. On my car, if I leave it in full auto, sometimes it won't even shift at redline. It will shift into 2nd at arount 6600rpms.
Like I said, I was gate shifting, maybe I should use SS
Old 09-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Instructor

what color was the GS and did you get a look at the guy driving it. My friend lives right there, as did I just a year ago and he does indeed have a gs 400.

Ditto to the report on the punks (young and old) in the area with the nice cars. That had led me down the road to my last 2 camaro ss's. Lot of seriously fast cars down there and nothing better than holding the rich prick off in his xkr/xjr, e55, m3 or m5 when he's in a hurry and trying to cut you out of a lane, beat you off a light, etc. Unfortunately the cls won't do the same without serious mods...but at least is can represent reasonably well and deal with the lower end bmw, mb, jags, and the saabs, volvos quite well...

Joe...miss the city
Old 09-03-2002, 10:35 AM
I hate the Mets

Joe,
It was a white GS400 with Gold package and the guy was anywhere from mid twenties to thirtiesdidnt really see his face--One thing I remembered ( dont ask me why) is that he had hairy arms...Wierd I know!
Old 09-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Don't sleep...

I have no trouble with CLs in the 1/4, but i do a little with the GS and a good driver...

Highway is a different story...strange but true, I walk away from GSs, but walk slower from those damn CLs, lol...go figure

course both cars may have a higher top end (at least when it was bone stock)
Old 09-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Racer

I like the hairy arms thing. There are some fishy things with your story...like the big tire spinn and you say you hit the rev limiter twice and you still hung with the GS400. I know in STOCK form I ran 14.3 allday long. So you must be running high 13s. atleast. I will be in the Philly area friday and would love to check out your ride man, I never riddin in the 6sp so it should be cool. Let me know if you have time Friday ok.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:37 PM
I hate the Mets

Hey GS400_Pusher--check your pm
Old 09-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Advanced

[B ... I forget to shift to second and hit the rev limiter ( Damn headers!) ... [/B]
mc222@aol.com,

You still did not explain how you hit the rev limiter in 1st. The CLS shifts to 2nd automatically in SS.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:03 PM
I hate the Mets

I was GATE SHIFTING

Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Instructor

my buddy's car is dk green, guess it wasn't him.

nice kill anyway. I haven't been having that kind of luck with my cls, not sure if it's a dud or i've been biting off more than i can chew.

Joe
Old 09-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I was GATE SHIFTING

gate shifting, actually using d-1 then d-2, you will hit the limiter in every gear
it is not commonly used by us guys as you may forget that you are not in ss
Old 09-04-2002, 12:50 PM
I hate the Mets

well, I only use it when I want to hear the engine roar--And I like it when racing around because you can get the tach up to around 7100 rpms--Not sure how far up SS will bring the RPMs in 1st gear before shifting
Old 09-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by BSK181

gate shifting, actually using d-1 then d-2, you will hit the limiter in every gear
it is not commonly used by us guys as you may forget that you are not in ss
Actually I gate shift when i am going up against a tough opponent. I only use it when racing and thats it.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Re: Don't sleep...

You're walking a GS300 perhaps but not a GS400. A GS400 will walk a CL-S on the freeway, stock for stock, auto or stick.

Originally posted by Infiltr8r
I have no trouble with CLs in the 1/4, but i do a little with the GS and a good driver...

Highway is a different story...strange but true, I walk away from GSs, but walk slower from those damn CLs, lol...go figure

course both cars may have a higher top end (at least when it was bone stock)
Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Re: Re: Don't sleep...

Originally posted by fever
You're walking a GS300 perhaps but not a GS400. A GS400 will walk a CL-S on the freeway, stock for stock, auto or stick.
i second that
Old 09-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

With Headers, and intake a auto cl-s will have ZERO problems pullling 1 ~1 1/2 car on a STOCK GS400 until end of 3rd *110mph or so.

I GUARANTEE IT.

ANY GS400 willing to run against me in nova/md , TRY ME.

my buddy has a stock GS400 and I WHOOP IT DAILY. w/ and W/out VSA turned on.

the key to launching a auto cl-s is to use gate shifting and not to MASH on the gas. first press about 1/2 throttle until 3000k then mash it and gate shift at 6800 and it will actually shift pass redline around 7000~7100 or so.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
im with you nova...seems like some people just dont know how fast there car really is...but also headers and intake make a bunch of difference and new tires dont hurt any...in an 1/8th mile track i.e. the more typical duration of a street race there is a half second difference betwen a stock cl-S and a modded one...i dont know the math but i wouldnt be surprised if we're talkin' 5 cars but certainly 3 and that might be why it's so hard for some cl-S drivers to understand...
Old 09-05-2002, 10:10 PM
I hate the Mets

Thank you! Just like I said! What you non-believers think Im bullshitting--I wasn't joking
Old 09-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Racer

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
With Headers, and intake a auto cl-s will have ZERO problems pullling 1 ~1 1/2 car on a STOCK GS400 until end of 3rd *110mph or so.

I GUARANTEE IT.

ANY GS400 willing to run against me in nova/md , TRY ME.

my buddy has a stock GS400 and I WHOOP IT DAILY. w/ and W/out VSA turned on.

the key to launching a auto cl-s is to use gate shifting and not to MASH on the gas. first press about 1/2 throttle until 3000k then mash it and gate shift at 6800 and it will actually shift pass redline around 7000~7100 or so.
I am in MD and will take you up on your offer.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:29 AM
I hate the Mets

I have an Aunt I visit frequently in Chevey Chase ( spelling??) Are you anywhere near there??
Old 09-06-2002, 12:47 PM
Racer

I have an Aunt I visit frequently in Chevey Chase ( spelling??) Are you anywhere near there??
Yes and no! I don't live near there, but I work near there.......
Old 09-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Racer

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

I GUARANTEE IT.

Old 09-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
I know Nova wont have any problems w/ a GS4. I am willing to videotape this race if you GS400, are willing to race NOVA. That would be off the hook! My boy's digi camera has 30 sec video footage and thats more than enough time to tape 0-60 or 0-100 runs. I would definitely like to see a modded cls (intake/headers) vs GS400.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:18 PM

Okay, a MODDED CL-S vs a STOCK GS 400. Should be interesting.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Official Lexus Wrecker

you guys do know that once your boy loses, that we will own this board, right? just thought that i'd let you know. "you cant win, rocky!!!!"

Doc

Quick Reply: Lost to a GS400 BUT!....