Long Trip Review - I Love My CL

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long Trip Review - I Love My CL

Just thought I'd review my first long trip in the CL Type S.

For two people, the CL Type S is an AWESOME road trip cruiser!

My wife and I just got back from a 2000 mile + trip touring the Northeast. We started from Philadelphia and cruised up through the middle of New York, to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and back through New York & Jersey to home. All and all we had a lot of fun, saw a lot of sites, and a few friends. For anyone in the north of the US, I'd definitely consider a Canada vacation. The US dollar is strong there and makes everything seem pretty cheap. I got lucky and was running about US 0.70:CN 1.00 for the entire trip. I'm also getting refunded on my lodging taxes as a non-resident.

This car is made for cruising. The seats are way comfortable on the long ride. The auto climate control rounds out the environmental comfort. Navigation made maps unnecessary, except when in the boonies of the US just south of the Candadian border, or in Canada itself. A Canada DVD would be pretty cool, and I would buy it if it were available. I noticed that the GPS still worked well while in Canada.

The OnStar phone worked flawlessly on the road, even in Canada. No international roaming issues. Signal was present even in what seemed like pretty desolate regions.

The six disc in-dash CD player makes Canadian radio more tolerable.

The trunk is really nicely sized for people that are packing challenged. We had two rolling suitcases and two carry bags, plus a cooler and other crap (some tools) in the trunk with room to spare.

I have not calculated gas milage yet, but I'm estimating about 30 MPG on the open road. I still have to go and convert the liters of gas obtained in Canada to gallons.

I got to drive through some deep highway rain and thunderstorms and must say the Sumitomo HTR+ do well in inclement weather. Nary a sqeal or slide. Road noise is pretty good (quiet). I rotated my tires on my return and note no wear issues with the Sumitomos (like others have documented). They are now about 5K miles old and I really note no significant wear. I run them at 36.5 psi cold.

Even though I am lowered, the car retained comfort on the long road. Comptech upgrades do not (appreciably) negatively effect ride quality.

My black car did come out the trip pretty grimey, but the Zaino helped me regain a nice sparkle after a quick wash. I was not able to remove the bug splatter with Z7 alone though - some Simple Green got the bug guts off easily.

Once again, I must say that this is really a great hybrid luxo-sport-coupe car. I use it for my daily commute to work and now as the long term cruise-mobile. It works wonderfully in both situations. I know that people compain that Acura failed in making a hybrid car, in that in being good at everything it excels at nothing. I disgree. This car excels at doing exactly what it was designed to do -- to drive on city streets and interstate highways. It wasn't designed for the straight or autocross track. I'm at 1 1/4 years old and 16K miles without rattle, paint, or other major/typical issues. I still my car!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
goof 2 hear ur happy q
Old 07-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Beware of leakage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great review Slimey, one thing I do on long trips is put my 2 piece nosemask on, and even though my car is white it still saves me from unwanted rock chips.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Banned

my only complaint is on open roads I always find myself going 120+ mph and hold it till I get to my destination
Old 07-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Well congrats, but you have to take into consideration that you do have the six-speed!!!!!!
-Justin
Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

That's a great trip. Have wanted to take a similar one myself but have only done the Philly<>Mami trip a few times. However, in a couple of weeks I'll be doing Philly<>Dallas. Might also be going to Lubbock. Any members here from Texas?
Old 07-29-2003, 05:32 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lou
my only complaint is on open roads I always find myself going 120+ mph and hold it till I get to my destination
Yes. When I set the cruise at 75 or so it feels like the car is barely working. Travelling is effortless. Nary a hesitation up hills with the A/C on. Nice.

Originally posted by importtuner
Well congrats, but you have to take into consideration that you do have the six-speed!!!!!!
-Justin

I'm not sure what you mean. Is this just a statement of the obvious, or is there some deeper meaning?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,954 Likes on 14,065 Posts
I agree! My job requires that I often travel to our branch locations in different locales and all I can say is that road-trips on the CL-S rocks...! Be it winter or summer, the climate control does its job keeping the inside nice and comfy and if you pack your fave tunes, well!
Old 07-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by lou
When people give me a hard time about trying to make a "pocket rocket" of this car with performance mods, I tell them I'm making a "cruise missle".
Old 07-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Mmmmm...sausage...

That sounds like afun a scenic trip. I just got home from my first road trip in my CL-S. I left Branson, MO sunday coming home to Birmingham, AL. I filled up in Little Rock and made it all the way home on that tank. The tank took me 396.8 miles and it held 13.2 US gals when filled. That came to 30.06 MPG. Wow! Considering I get about 20 MPG in my everyday 'round town driving, that is quite a difference.

Though my drive was 9-1/2 hours, I never tired of driving the car. Very comfortable. I kept the cruise on 80 most of the way with occassional sudden bursts up to 100 to shoot-the-gap on the pokey-butts...hehehe

I have always wanted to drive the northeast US to see the country side. I just may do it soon. Maybe I'll see you on the road!

Later y'all,

Jabo