Lightened Flywheel...? Ignition amplifier...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 10:26 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightened Flywheel...? Ignition amplifier...?

I was on the Superior Racing Development website... searching for what they had for a CL.

These two things sparked my interest.

SRD Lightened Flywheels
Custom Applications Available (price includes $100 refundable core charge). SRD-engineered flywheels are precisely shaved of excess weight and then trued to perfection so you can rev faster and improve your vehicle's acceleration.
$299.99

Now... I dont really know if this really works or if its worthwhile or what. But I thought it was interesting.

The most experience I have with the results of a lightened flywheels is from Gran Tourismo 2 (its a kick ass mod in the game)

I also dont even know if this is something you would do to an auto?!? But it was listed under our car so I thought... maybe?

Also...

MSD Ignition Amplifier Box
6A Amplifier (no rev limiter). Designed to provide a more powerful spark, the MSD ignition helps burn the fuel mixture which increases throttle response, makes for better start-ups, and contributes to improved gas mileage.
$149.99

Now I really dont know jack shit about this one... but it interested me because of all the talk about how great those upgraded spark plugs are. So maybe this could improve even more on that mod?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by soopa (edited 05-12-2001).]
Old 05-12-2001, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told by a Performance shop down here that a lightened flywheel has a good chance of warping. Does anyone know if this is true or was the guy full of it? He did also say that it would make a noticeable difference.

------------------
2001 CL-S White/Tan
non navi
* Spoiler
* Weel Locks
* Polarg m-6
* Red AEM CAI on the way
Old 05-12-2001, 11:53 PM
The Creator

Hmm. Well... as long as the warping doesnt hurt anything but the flywheel... who cares! The thing is only $299... not bad for what I suspect this mod could do.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-12-2001, 11:57 PM
Drifting

is that a cl-s flywheel or is that just one that will fit, and what about warranty...will that void it???

------------------
2001 CL-S White/Tan
non navi
* Spoiler
* Weel Locks
* Polarg m-6
* Red AEM CAI on the way
Old 05-12-2001, 11:57 PM
Learn to swim.

Both of those sound familiar from my Cobra days, I would think the fly-wheel would help but aftermarket ignition systems make most of their money in the domestic market, Mustangs are notorious for having weak electrics and can benefit from a hotter spark, I would think-and have heard that most foreign automakers have this ironed out and our ignition system is well "tuned" for our car. With a SC or turbo, maybe even NoS we might be able to gain something from an aftermarket ign. system but otherwise I would think it to be smoke and mirrors.
Just my thinking though, anyone?
Old 05-13-2001, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Sorry to rain on the parade but your CL-S doesn't have a flywheel, it has a flex plate which weighs even less than a lightened flywheel (which are found on manual trans cars only!). MSD doesn't have a box which is designed to work with coil over ignition which your cars are equipped with (ie: NO DISTRIBUTOR/IGNITER to wire into). Besides, Spark amplification makes a difference only at extreme cylinder pressures which these cars don't achieve....

Not to be negative...you were on a better track with the Random catalyst
Old 05-13-2001, 03:33 AM
The Creator

Figures. Thx for the lesson.

Stupid e-commerce sites cant seem to get their product listings right.
Old 05-13-2001, 04:43 AM
Intermediate

I wouldn't bother with the MSD ignition. A few Legend owners I know have it on their DIS systems like the CL uses, and they state it doesn't really do anything under nornal conditions. These guys only have it because they run NOS, and want the extra safety/bennedfit when they shoot the NOS.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 05-13-2001, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by syncivic:
Sorry to rain on the parade but your CL-S doesn't have a flywheel, it has a flex plate which weighs even less than a lightened flywheel (which are found on manual trans cars only!). MSD doesn't have a box which is designed to work with coil over ignition which your cars are equipped with (ie: NO DISTRIBUTOR/IGNITER to wire into). Besides, Spark amplification makes a difference only at extreme cylinder pressures which these cars don't achieve....

Not to be negative...you were on a better track with the Random catalyst
</font>

1. Yep, sorry there is no flywheel to lighten...

2. MSD's biggest claim to fame (in the early days) was the multi-spark aspect of the ignition. As with most companies, they make a ton of stuff now, and they offer what is essentially a CD (capacitive discharge)/Multispark ignition. (The now have features that provide: more voltage, faster rise time, more current, fatter spark, multiple sparks per ignition cycle, built in rev-limiter, built in spark advance/retard, etc, etc)

Note: -- It would be possible to grab the coil-over's trigger signal and route it to allow a "burst" of pulses to the spark plug coil. The main advantage would be getting more than 1 spark per ignition cycle. However, since we have coil-overs (one coil per plug), the MSD unit would need to interface with 6 coils, intercept each 12 volt trigger signal, and replace it with a multi-spark output (1..100 spark pulses per ignition cycle). (If the first one doesn't light the mixture, 2..n will)

Comment -- The current OBDCII system is designed so 2 misfires (under similar circumstances) will turn-on the engine diagnostics light. So, if we were having "problems" with getting a "good" spark, we would probably be bitching about the engine light coming on all the time.

(just a thought or three)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic