legend brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
legend brake swap

so i went to my friendly local salvage yard and found a 93 legend coupe (same brake calipers as the 94-95 legend GS). picked up the calipers for a cool hundred. still trying to clean them so i can get them painted while they're off. need suggestions on cleaning (i've tried simple green, brake cleaner and most successfully WD-40 - but still looking for something better) and recommendations on caliper color.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What about the Legend rotors?

Try carburetor cleaner. Works like a champ.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:27 AM
Pro

from what i've read ont he TL board Mike, it seems that the legend rotors will not fit our application due to hub size.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:34 AM
Pro

i really have to give credit to 850EX here so no one gets the impression that i'm purporting that this is my little brainstorm.
interestingly enough, it seems like no one makes rotor upgrade (material and milling - not size) for the legend or the cl/tl. are our setups that good?! though i keep hearing about how brembo is still developing a slotted and/or cross-drilled rotor for us - don't think we should be holding our breath for that one.

i'm hesitant to use carb cleaner because of the chloride residue that is sometimes left behind. anyone else have experience with this?
Old 07-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks acuraboy

All you have to do is clean your calipers.
All you have to do is remove the Caliper off the Legend bracket and screw onto your CL. Nice and easy.
Just make sure your stock rotors arent warped and get good set of pads.

Endless, Hawk or Axxis.

From one of my other posts....

If you want Axxis pads, try the new Ultimates (much better than Metal Masters).
Front and rear set will be less than $150US total
www.cobaltfriction.com

Tell Andy Lin you are from Honda-Tech.com and they will give you 10%. Until August get a total of 15% off.

Referenced from http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=223462

I have not yet installed mine yet but I am sure they should satisfy all street needs.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Pro

to clean them...use some wire brush and scrub!!!

Here is a GREAT thread about these calipers.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=134651
Old 07-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Pro

i can't feel anything!!!

so after some carb cleaner, WD-40 and new lemon scent simple green here's where i'm at:
Old 07-22-2002, 08:36 AM
Pro

did u know that surprisingly little effort is required to remove one's flesh from one's hand using a steel wire brush? i think i'm gonna try the steel brush drill attachment.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Pro

Re: i can't feel anything!!!

Originally posted by acuraboy
so after some carb cleaner, WD-40 and new lemon scent simple green here's where i'm at:
All you need is to take apart those two large caliper screws adn Bolt that Part to your stock caliper bracket (use the part that says NISSIN)
Old 07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Pro

i presume then that the "nissin" part's sliding pins will not just fit into the stock bracket?
Old 07-23-2002, 12:40 PM
Pro

All you should need from the Legend calipers are the calipers only. You should just use your CL pins and screws. I am sure the Legend ones fit but I just used my stock ones instead.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Busy Living

Back from the dead...

FYI, I'll be attempting this swap. I found some calipers and they will be enroute shortly. I'm undecided about the SS brakelines, I will have them, but i'd like to see if these alone make a difference.

I may clean them up and send'em to get powder coated first, so it may be awhile till they make it onto my car.

Seems like an inexpensive options that has been overlooked by.

I posted this recently but didn't get much response.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=120392
Old 11-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Racer

abyone who has done this upgrade care to share how much of an improvement it is? Is it even comparable to the big brake kits like brembo or rotora?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by 01 Cl-s
abyone who has done this upgrade care to share how much of an improvement it is? Is it even comparable to the big brake kits like brembo or rotora?
_______
um... swap a stock rotor with another stock rotor would not make that much difference... $2000+ brake Vs another stock caliper...u tell me..
Old 11-08-2003, 05:01 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SS lines are the way to go here as they would be in any brake project .Most of the mush in the brake pedal is caused by the rubber lines .After the lines there is the caliper itself flexing some amount and then the fact that the rotors also cause some of the mush in the pedal especially on initial application of brakes .

I assume somebody has managed to accomplish this mod? I was asked in another thread about this mod but I have never seen it done .It stands to reason that the two pot Nissin calipers will apply pressure more evenly than the single pot units on the CL as supplied .This could be a good thing for braking as even the thick steel backing plates on the brake pads will bend some under pressure .I'd have to look it up but I think an average brake system can exceed 1500 PSI in panic stops .That is a lot of force so an even application of this force (more so than what is available in the stock system ) may be an improvement .It may even allow shorter stops with better pads .

Stopping power is really a simple physics lesson ,forward motion (energy)is converted into heat because a tremendous amount of pressure is aplied to the brake pads .The more energy one can convert the better the brakes .A brake system such as the Brembos works better as there is a bit more brake swept area and also the applied pressure is more evenly (efficiently) applied to the brake pad .Even distribution of pressure means the brake pads can do more work .

I would be interested in knowing if the master cylinder has sufficient capacity for this conversion and I would like to hear if anyone has accomplished this conversion and what the performance of the car was afterwards .

SS lines help contribute to better braking as less energy is wasted inflating a bunch of rubber tubes and instead more pressure can be applied to the brake pads .

Jens