Killed by a GTI

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Kint
The Jetta is the best selling Dub in the US. (learn,post,grin)
And not respecting something running 12s, your an idiot, a 12sec car is faster than any CL/CLS/TL/TLS I've heard of. so you might want to pull your head out, mabye buy ractive muffler to go with you obx header and dark tint.

P.S. stickers give hondas big HP gains!
WTF are you talking about??? Who cares if its the best selling VW in the US, that doesn't mean dick to me!!! I still don't respect him because he drives a girl car and comes on our forum and talks shit! Why would anyone mod a JETTA?? They are made for commuting from point A to B and get good gas mileage nothing more nothing less! To put mods on it is absolutely insane!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
WTF are you talking about??? Who cares if its the best selling VW in the US, that doesn't mean dick to me!!! I still don't respect him because he drives a girl car and comes on our forum and talks shit! Why would anyone mod a JETTA?? They are made for commuting from point A to B and get good gas mileage nothing more nothing less! To put mods on it is absolutely insane!!!
and what do you do with your car?
Point A to B for the most part right?
Why would anyone buy a CLS and mod it, its got 260hp stock
You like your car and its the fastest CLS in your one horse town.
Dont make me get the Maxima guys on your arse!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:56 PM
6th Gear

Why would anyone mod a JETTA?? They are made for commuting from point A to B and get good gas mileage nothing more nothing less! To put mods on it is absolutely insane!!!
Oh wow!

That's one ignorant statement. Why would anyone want to mod a Jetta.........hmmmmmmm. MAYBE, because with less than a grand in mods they can embarrass most "sports cars". Maybe because it's different then the millions of honda's running around. Maybe, just maybe......

As for it being a "Commuter car"......you're right. The 17" stock wheels, turbocharged motor accompanied by a MANUAL transmission, sport suspension, heated leather seating, 4 wheel disc brakes, DBW throttle are ALL signs of a "commuter car"

I love the CL and TL-S. I love the look on the owners face after a 1/4 of playing around also!

chris
Old 10-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

My neighbor has a 1.8T Jetta 5 speed with an APR chip, cat-back exhaust and a downpipe (I think that's what he called it).

Beat him by almost a full car length to 70. He's probably on the VW forum.. He has a license plate that spells out Honda Hater (in less words) .... My "Honda" showed him up pretty good huh?

BTW... In total over the past few months, I have raced him at least 4-5 times. Beat him easily each time.

Also, friend's sister has a 5 speed '02 GTi (180hp). Stock, yes, but beat his balls off...

I respect your cars, but don't come here hating and then expect respect
Old 10-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by cusdaddy
My neighbor has a 1.8T Jetta 5 speed with an APR chip, cat-back exhaust and a downpipe (I think that's what he called it).

Beat him by almost a full car length to 70. He's probably on the VW forum.. He has a license plate that spells out Honda Hater (in less words) .... My "Honda" showed him up pretty good huh?

He cant drive.

BTW... In total over the past few months, I have raced him at least 4-5 times. Beat him easily each time.

Also, friend's sister has a 5 speed '02 GTi (180hp). Stock, yes, but beat his balls off...

I wuold hope so, stock.

What do you have done to your car? I'm sure I could Beat a Z06
if the driver is on a cell and trying to down some starbucks!
And I have respect for your cars, I dont have respect for people who race one and think its crap.
I dont.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:10 PM
6th Gear

Your neighbor should be in the high 13's with those mods, what mods have you acquired on your Type-S?

You're in Danbury, I'm there all the time. I'd love to "show you up pretty good". if you're down for losing.

chris
Old 10-23-2002, 06:11 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
and what do you do with your car?
Point A to B for the most part right?
Why would anyone buy a CLS and mod it, its got 260hp stock
You like your car and its the fastest CLS in your one horse town.
Bring on the Maximas they know we own them to.:P
Old 10-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

Bring on the Maximas they know we own them to.:P
Do you mean too?
And you just own THEM.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Your neighbor should be in the high 13's with those mods, what mods have you acquired on your Type-S?
He has a 150hp Jetta 1.8T (before his bolt ons)

I have no idea why I won. I won. We raced 4-5 times over the past month. He let me drive his car (holding down the cruise control to disable the extra boost is awesome).

At the time I had I/H... I now have new headers coming in (OBX to save some $$)

You're in Danbury, I'm there all the time. I'd love to "show you up pretty good". if you're down for losing.
That's a pretty nice statement. What do you run in the 1/4? Do you even know what a combination of I/H and cold weather do for our car? I'd be willing to race in 2 weeks

BTW.. I have respect for your cars. Being able to get into the 13's with relatively little cost is impressive. I just don't respect people coming in here trashing our cars. This is an Acura CL forum. The only reason why I said I "showed him up pretty good" was because of his license plate. Honda Hater... come on. He was asking for it...
Old 10-23-2002, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

Yeeeeesssssss....
Old 10-23-2002, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

WTF are you talking about??? Who cares if its the best selling VW in the US, that doesn't mean dick to me!!! I still don't respect him because he drives a girl car!
Wow where the hell am I? I don't really know what a CL-S is, but I thought this was an Acura board. Now I'm thinking it must be some special nascar-licensed camaro or something.

Oh wait, nothing says macho-man like Acura :p riiiight....
Old 10-23-2002, 06:21 PM
6th Gear

That's a pretty nice statement. What do you run in the 1/4? Do you even know what a combination of I/H and cold weather do for our car? I'd be willing to race in 2 weeks
Why 2 weeks? Now! YOu talk smack and now want to wait for more mods before you race? Pretttttyyyyyy weak.......

BTW, you'll find out what I run in the 1/4 AFTER we race!

chris
Old 10-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Schleprock:

Forget it. I don't want to deal with you.

I have an appointment on Nov 2nd to have my headers installed. I think my car would be more competitive at that time. Why are you afraid to tell me about your 1/4? I am a car enthusiast. I like racing for fun. To see how well our cars respond to mods. I have nothing to prove.

Remember: There's always someone faster.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:27 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by MotoMannequin

Oh wait, nothing says macho-man like Acura :p riiiight....
LOFL!

You know the CL and TL-S are the epidomy of sports cars! That's why they are FWD and didn''t have a manual tranny option for the first 2 years!

chris
Old 10-23-2002, 06:29 PM
6th Gear

Schleprock:

Forget it. I don't want to deal with you.

Remember: There's always someone faster.
OK. Fine by me.

That's definitley true. There is always someone faster.

chris
Old 10-23-2002, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

Admin needs to start doing some work. I keep getting email notifications whenever someone replies and I have checked "no" in the options.......

chris
Old 10-23-2002, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Schleprock:

If you are up for a friendly race, I'm always down. I am not a VW hater. I actually really like your car. I may lose. Racing is always fun for me though
Old 10-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Cant we all just get along?!
If anyone in NOVA,MD area is up, Nov. 9th MIR test and tune.
wannarunthatsh!t?
Old 10-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Old 10-25-2002, 04:58 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Think if any one here wanted a jetta or any other VW then they would have bought one. Stock for stock our car (TLS or CLS) is faster or as fast as either the GTI or Jetta and more luxurious. I don't doubt the modability of the VWs but there are better and more modifiable cars out there as there are faster and more luxurious cars than the TLS/CLS. personally I didn't look at a GTI or Jetta when I was in the car-buying market because its a different class of car.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cant we all just get along?!
If anyone in NOVA,MD area is up, Nov. 9th MIR test and tune.
wannarunthatsh!t?
keep it civil or this one is getting closed as well.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:46 PM
Intermediate

personally I think both of your cars are nice & luxurious however you acura guys want to bash one of your own b/c he lost to one...... it's no wonder you guys have to make up stories about false wins..... I kinda don't blame you after seeing how you guys jumped down his throat about losing, but then again you jumped down another guys throat about posting 15.2xx time at the track b/c you thought that to be embarresing to your car.......
Old 10-27-2002, 12:41 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by ferizzo
I Think if any one here wanted a jetta or any other VW then they would have bought one. Stock for stock our car (TLS or CLS) is faster than either the GTI or Jetta and more luxurious. I don't doubt the modability of the VWs but there are better and more modifiable cars out there as there are faster and more luxurious cars than the TLS/CLS. personally I didn't look at a GTI or Jetta when I was in the car-buying market because its a different class of car.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:52 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by caddyman
The older GTi VR6, 5 spds are slow and most of the drivers cant drive, the new 2002 VR6 200hp, six speed are very gast, as fast an a auto CL/TL-S, but its a drivers race, about 97% of any VR6 anyone wil race would be an older (174hp) one. The 1.8T got up to 180hp stick in 2001 i think, and the VR6 didnt get to 200 hp until 2002. So NOW the VR6 is faster, but the 1.8T is cheqper, more easily mooded, and a better valve ( than the vr6)

Id take a 03 CLS-6spd. but at 10k more..oh well...
and how are you boys even claiming anything over us
1.8t=180hp
02 vr6=200hp
cls=260hp
how about staying in your playing field
prelude=200~hp
eclipse=200-210hp
etc.etc.etc.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:56 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by Robs98gtp
personally I think both of your cars are nice & luxurious however you acura guys want to bash one of your own b/c he lost to one...... it's no wonder you guys have to make up stories about false wins..... I kinda don't blame you after seeing how you guys jumped down his throat about losing, but then again you jumped down another guys throat about posting 15.2xx time at the track b/c you thought that to be embarresing to your car.......
i don't think there was any kinda bashing of our own just encouraging to get a better run in if anything?
man it seems like the majority gtp/max/stang/etc have some kinda gripe towards us, always gettin shit from someone , and no one defending us except ourselves, maybe thats why they think we're these "Acura guys" that yadayadayadayada
Old 10-27-2002, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

QuickCLS:
and how are you boys even claiming anything over us
1.8t=180hp
02 vr6=200hp
cls=260hp
how about staying in your playing field
prelude=200~hp
eclipse=200-210hp
etc.etc.etc
Have you ever heard of power to weight ratio? Just because a car has more HP doesn't mean it's gonna be any faster. You're cars weigh a good 400 piunds more then ours. The older style Monte Carlo's had the same LS1 engine that the C4's did. Pushing around 350 HP. They still only ran high 15's at the track because of all the excess weight.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh please not the Maxima guys...... They used to talk shit until Acura finally offered a manual tranny in the CLS and well they haven't been back to the board since.....
Old 10-28-2002, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

The older style Monte Carlo's had the same LS1 engine that the C4's did. Pushing around 350 HP. They still only ran high 15's at the track because of all the excess weight.
First of all, the LS1 came out in the C5 Vette in 97. The LT1 was the engine in the C4 vette's. Those were 350ci (5.7L) engines.

The MonteSS from the Mid 80's had a 305ci (5.0L) HO V8. It was pushing only about 180hp, (but much more torque).

How do I know? Parents used to have an '87 Olds 442 with the same 305. Not anywhere close to the Vette engine.

If you are talking about the Impala SS with the LT1, the reason why it was slower was because it weighed over 1000lbs over a C4. Also, it only had a 260hp LT1, while the newer C4's had over 300hp.

Yes, weight has an effect, but trying to run a similarity comparing our cars to yours, and a Vette to a Caprice (Impala SS) is a big difference.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:10 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by M-Diddy
Have you ever heard of power to weight ratio? Just because a car has more HP doesn't mean it's gonna be any faster. You're cars weigh a good 400 piunds more then ours. The older style Monte Carlo's had the same LS1 engine that the C4's did. Pushing around 350 HP. They still only ran high 15's at the track because of all the excess weight.
even with the extra lbs. there's still no comparison, preiod!
Old 10-29-2002, 07:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by quikcls
even with the extra lbs. there's still no comparison, preiod!
Oh, I think there are many points for comparison. Power to weight ratios fare high in professional racing. If you discount this then you dont really care whether you have a fast car or not--which would be an oxymoron since you call yourself "quik."

To give you an example, I have a friend here in sunny Toronto who has a modded 1.8T engine stuffed into a Mk II GTI. The thing is very light and with a good 250hp and matching torque, the damn thing is fast. In fact, its faster than my car which is a great deal more porky than his.

Anywho, I do think that the front end of your cars are very pretty...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Racer

All this talk of who's gonna spank who is givin' me a headache. All I know is VW are crap. Why? I used to own a passat, the thing was an unreliable POS. I like the car otherwise, but way too many reliability issues to even mention. My brother currently owns a last gen. jetta. Hes got it modded to all hell, and its does the 1/4 in high 13s...when its running. That thing too has more reliability issues than you can shake a stick at(whatever that means) I also know a couple other ppl with vdubs, all of which would have loved their cars, if they weren't falling apart at the seems.
In conclustion, maybe you guys in ur vw's can beat us in the 1/8 mile, but not in the 1/4...why? Because ur cars will break down before you get there!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Racer

my fiancee has a 1.8t beetle. it is definetly quick and she can surely drive. she can launch on me but i always catch her by the end of 2nd. anything above that, in the right gear, i will always beat her.

what i mean by the "in the right gear" comment is:

from 60+
her 4 or 5 gear
me 4 or 5 gear
she pulls (the turbo is where it needs to be and our 4 & 5 are too steep to contend)

from 60+ (up to 82-85)
her any gear
me 3rd= i own the bug

as for other things not racing related, the electrical system sucks balls, alternator replaced, lights still dimm, dinger?? when the lights are on or the key is in the ignition and the dor opens= broke, ac clutch went out, parking light died..... the actual service centers in fairfax and manassas blow ass also..... btw this is all with under 18K on the odo!!!! we will never buy another one b/c of the probs and service although she loves the hell out of the car. nice ammenities n such.

well, thats all i have to say about that!
Old 10-30-2002, 08:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by mikegunnz
...<snip>...In conclustion, maybe you guys in ur vw's can beat us in the 1/8 mile, but not in the 1/4...why? Because ur cars will break down before you get there!
lol..that is a little harsh. All cars have their idiosyncrasies. It is just a question of how much you can tolerate. I mean, doesn't it bug you that in order to get to the sweetspot of your powerband you have to rev up to red? But that is another story. Let me address your comment.

Yes, Dubs from way back when has had electrical probs. Its a pain in the ass and all of us wish VW AG would get their shyet together and get it right for once. Luckilly, I have a 10 yr/100k warranty that will fix my probs (although taking a day of work to drop of a car in extremely inconvenient, in my case).

Admittedly, so far, Ive had a window reg fail and a coil pack fail. The doors are still on my car and I have yet to meet a CL that can keep up with me. I dont condone racing on the streets, but if its empty and its just you and him, go for it. Case in point, a CL and I were at a light and we went for it. I had AND maintained a lead on him until we reached an ungodly speed in a 60 zone, after which I shut down. I made it to the end of that race? So, you can be derogatory if you want, but your car, being more expensive and more richly appointed than mine, isnt necessarily all that. And I say again, I do like your cars. I just can't afford them....hehe
Old 10-30-2002, 09:25 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by rufstuff
Oh, I think there are many points for comparison. Power to weight ratios fare high in professional racing. If you discount this then you dont really care whether you have a fast car or not--which would be an oxymoron since you call yourself "quik."

To give you an example, I have a friend here in sunny Toronto who has a modded 1.8T engine stuffed into a Mk II GTI. The thing is very light and with a good 250hp and matching torque, the damn thing is fast. In fact, its faster than my car which is a great deal more porky than his.

Anywho, I do think that the front end of your cars are very pretty...
bro, i know about p/w ratio. was just stating that in this comparison ( vw/cls) even factoring that in, there's still no chance in hell.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

QuickCLS:
bro, i know about p/w ratio. was just stating that in this comparison ( vw/cls) even factoring that in, there's still no chance in hell.
You're NOT driving a friggin Viper. You're cars aren't as super-fast as you guys make them out to be. Show me a Type-S, ANY Type-S, that runs a 13.4 off the bottle with ONLY bolt-ons! There isn't.

Thank you.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:17 PM
10th Gear

You're NOT driving a friggin Viper. You're cars aren't as super-fast as you guys make them out to be. Show me a Type-S, ANY Type-S, that runs a 13.4 off the bottle with ONLY bolt-ons! There isn't.

Thank you.
Well, as far as I have experienced, I haven't lost to an S, especially after my mods. And I'll leave this fellow to his dreams that his car is IT when it is so obvious that it isnt.

I know there are many cars out there that are much faster than mine and I can certainly admit to that. And if this yokum's S can beat me, then I will admit to that also. But until then, based on my experience running against these cars, I have no fear that the back end of my car is ALL he'll see.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Agreed. I've raced 2 CL-S. One stock, one modded. Beat them both.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:23 PM
10th Gear

Yep, well I'm running them without a bottle. Just pure bolt on heaven--and a few polishings here and there, of course.

I think I need to instal a video cam where the mid headrest would sit so I can see the on their faces...hehe

Ya gotta love trash talkin sometimes.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:01 PM
foolio at heart

and I've never lost to a vw. I smoked them 24/7 in my rx7, ditto in my typhoon, walked a couple in the cls, killed them in the wrx, and humiliated a few in my s2k.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rufstuff
I mean, doesn't it bug you that in order to get to the sweetspot of your powerband you have to rev up to red? But that is another story.
Lets address this story now as there seems to be inaccurate ideas of the power output of the J32A2.

Acceleration is at it's greatest at peak torque. The CL-S6 make over 90% (closer to 95%) of it's peak torque from 2k to 6500 revs. So basically anywhere in the rev band will give the same acceleration rate; there is no "sweet spot".

Quick Reply: Killed by a GTI