Kid threw a rock at the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kid threw a rock at the car

I was driving down the road and there were two kids around this house and one throws a nice sized rock at my car. I hear it...went back, and finally I called the police. They found the kids and their parents asked that we keep this out of the courts and I now have to get an estimate and or just get it repaired and present them with the bill.

It is only about an inch long below the back window on the passenger side, on the 1/4 panel. I am thinking they will take the dent out, but have to repaint the whole 1/4panel. Is this a logical assumption? I took some pictures, but don't host them...
Old 04-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
yes, they will have to paint the whole 1/4 panel.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wut he sayd.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
If the paint is scratched too badly they'll probably have to repaint. Get an estimate and make the parents pay for it.

Personally I'd try to get something in writing from either the cop (an incident report of some sort) or the parents in case they back out and decide not to pay. How old were the kids? If they're teenagers they should know better and I'd come down on them hard if the parents back out. If they're younger I'd be a bit more reasonable and remind then it's either pay or go to court.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

The kids seemed to be under 10 or so. I did call the police, they will be writing up an incident report and the officer said if the parents don't cooperate completely I can still take it to court.

Think I can get away with pain and suffering since I wont have my car for some time?
Old 04-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro

ask the parents to pay for a car rental!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:22 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
if the mom is hot ask for a blow job!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ Maybe that will be better..
Old 04-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
What color is your car...this may make a difference with the matching...
Old 04-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Silver...going on 20months old..
Old 04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fucking kids
Old 04-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by anothercls
Think I can get away with pain and suffering since I wont have my car for some time?
Um, no.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by anothercls
dont be one of those losers that abuses the justice system and ties up the court system with stupid lawsuits like that.

youll be inconvienced, i dont think that guarantees you money.

shit if i got money for everytime someone inconvienced me i would be rich.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
tell them to pay you 3 grand even and you won't take them to court, if they don't take them to court for whatever it costs. this way you know their weak spot already and you can exploit it. this isn't being mean since you are the victim, their friggin kids obviously weren't taught values, maybe they will learn to spend some time and actual do some parenting.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:25 PM
///M POWER

thats horse shit man
Old 04-26-2004, 12:00 PM

Hate to say it man but I think that silver is hard to blend at the quater panels...does anyone out there have similar exerience...sorry its only 20 months old...someone doored me to the primer and put a crease in my door a week ago...it is hard having nice things in today's world...
Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Only one spot s down to the primer, nothing touch up paint wouldn't fix, just the crease.

I should have noted I was joking about pain and suffering.

The paint is going to be my problem, I am thinking it will be part of that side, or should I request the whole car being painted? It would be a bit much, but it isn't my fault their kids threw a rock at my car.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SilviaGTO
dont be one of those losers that abuses the justice system and ties up the court system with stupid lawsuits like that.

youll be inconvienced, i dont think that guarantees you money.

shit if i got money for everytime someone inconvienced me i would be rich.
just think how it would be if someone had the same reason on you!, my insurance lost 20,000$ cuz of some stupid emotional trauma reason some guy said when HE hit ME!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM

I need some acura paint , the crease I will have to live with....he might have to repaint the wholw car.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rondog
tell them to pay you 3 grand even and you won't take them to court, if they don't take them to court for whatever it costs. this way you know their weak spot already and you can exploit it. this isn't being mean since you are the victim, their friggin kids obviously weren't taught values, maybe they will learn to spend some time and actual do some parenting.
and if they dont press charges, we all use to be kids but jeez a rock at a car
Old 04-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by AcUrALiTy
just think how it would be if someone had the same reason on you!, my insurance lost 20,000$ cuz of some stupid emotional trauma reason some guy said when HE hit ME!
they wouldn't have the same reason on him, he wasn't purposely throwing rocks at anybodies car. this is the definition of justice. it wasn't just a no fault accident that he is trying to exploit, this is straight up teaching a lesson.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Racer

I would take them to court. My friend had the same thing happen and he decided to be the nice guy and not take the other party to court and have them pay. He is still trying to collect the money from the losers.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by rondog
This sounds like a good idea. They're going to protect their kids, so $3k should be enough to fix the car and get a rental for a few days. If they don't agree take them to court and press charges. The kids should have known better then to throw a rock at the car.

Originally posted by Vegeta1
I would take them to court. My friend had the same thing happen and he decided to be the nice guy and not take the other party to court and have them pay. He is still trying to collect the money from the losers.
THis is the other side of things. They're saying they'll pay... but will they? I'd get something signed that is binding to make sure they do pay. Otherwise, do what's above and get the money up front, that way you're covered.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:01 PM
GEB
Racer

If it was me, I would go to 3 really nice body shops for a nice big estimate. Have them pay the middle one. Now, go to the "Dent Doctor". They have ways to get dents like that out ... and most of them can do a really nice job with touch up paint. It would be much cheaper plus, you wouldn't have to put up with the whole panel being painted.

Most body shops won't do touch up type jobs. They would rather paint the whole panel. I would rather have a nice touch up spot and have the original paint on the panel.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by GEB
If it was me, I would go to 3 really nice body shops for a nice big estimate. Have them pay the middle one. Now, go to the "Dent Doctor". They have ways to get dents like that out ... and most of them can do a really nice job with touch up paint. It would be much cheaper plus, you wouldn't have to put up with the whole panel being painted.

Most body shops won't do touch up type jobs. They would rather paint the whole panel. I would rather have a nice touch up spot and have the original paint on the panel.
When paint isn’t broken, it is always best to see if dentless repair will do the job.

Even when you paint an entire panel, you end up having to consider a "blend." If the paint is metallic and the shop has the best paints, talent, colorimeters, etc, they still are probably going to have to "blend" at/near/into adjacent panels. The flakes have to match and the paint has to match. Sometimes just shooting the adjacent panel just makes it stand out like a sore thumb depending on the light source and direction.

So, if it's the bumper or rear deck lid, you can probably just paint them.

If you are doing that long quarter panel, someone is going to have to some blending somewhere unless they paint the whole car.

http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/art...l.jsp?id=85567

Clear Coat Repairs
One last note regarding clear coat repairs: For a high-quality, warrantable repair, most paint manufacturers and car makers require the clear to be applied to the nearest panel edge, not just over the spot repair. That’s because as the clear tapers at the edge of a spot repair, it becomes too thin, and over a relatively short period of time, the sun’s ultraviolet rays cause it to chalk or peel.

This often becomes an issue when blending in to a quarter panel that doesn’t have a panel break before the sail panel and the roof. This would require clearing the roof and opposite quarter panel, a procedure that insurers will balk at paying and some shops feel does more harm than good.

Blending skills provide the paint technician with a useful tool to make virtually invisible repairs. If your goal is a perfect blend—and it should be—these techniques and tips should help you achieve that goal. The result: happy customers, good word-of-mouth and more business for your shop.

Flop is a function of the aluminum flakes in metallics and pearls. Think of the flakes as tiny mirrors. When light shines on a mirror, it is reflected. Likewise, when light shines onto the aluminum flakes in a car’s finish, it’s reflected. The angle of the light reflected affects the brightness of the color. This brightness diminishes rapidly as you move away from this angle, depending on the pigmentation of the paint.

Metallic paints with non-transparent pigments have larger particles. These particles have more surface area to reflect light. For this reason, non-transparent pigments scatter some of the brightness to other viewing angles, and the brightness of the paint doesn’t decrease rapidly when your viewing angle changes. These colors exhibit low flop.

Metallic paints with transparent pigments absorb light, reducing the amount of light reflected outward. So, if you view these pigments directly from the angle where the light is reflecting outward, you will see the high level of brightness for that color. When viewed from any other angle, the brightness decreases rapidly. These colors exhibit high flop. While such colors are very attractive, they require special care to match the degree of flop in the area you are refinishing with the rest of the finish.
http://www.basf.com/static/OpenMarke...c-Article.html

To use BASF's hand-held SmartScan spectrophotometer simply place it on an area of the car finish to be matched. SmartScan reads the light wavelengths of the color on the car, then finds the color formula in the SmartTrak database that has the same wavelengths. In this way, SmartScan provides an exact formula to match the color actually on the vehicle.

SmartScan is more advanced than other spectrophotometers currently available, featuring more versatile software, easier used interface, non-limited formula search, and the only "four-angle" capturing device in the industry, which provides better matches on pitch.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Slam!

man, that's what kids do. you shouldn't have driven near them.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally posted by flipwhip
man, that's what kids do. you shouldn't have driven near them.
No Sir, it is not, and certainly none that have been taught any type of respect for others property. I mean WTF I was no angel, but did not go around throwing rocks at cars, I was too busy admiring them.