Just wondering-

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 05:52 AM
Fastdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering-

Been reading lately that CL/TL owners are having their transmissions replaced. Is this a widespread problem? For those who have had this done, do you drive your car "normally"? That is, no drag race starts from traffic lights, aggressive "manual" shifting/downshifting, no weekend race track workouts etc.

My CL-S was just 1 year old- 14,000 miles and not ONE problem so far. Compared to my previous "1999 Motor Trend Car of the Year", this car is a dream!
Old 04-08-2002, 07:09 AM
'Cooter

Re: Just wondering-

Originally posted by fastdriver
Been reading lately that CL/TL owners are having their transmissions replaced. Is this a widespread problem? For those who have had this done, do you drive your car "normally"? That is, no drag race starts from traffic lights, aggressive "manual" shifting/downshifting, no weekend race track workouts etc.
we have a Tranny Problem section that unfortunately seems to b getting larger and larger by the day

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=126

BTW, i like yer Red Rocket!!! u r coming to PAA for the meet right??? i graduated from Quinnipiac a couple years back...u from around the New Haven area??
Old 04-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Racer

I would not classify myself as an agresive driver, but I do and will downstift and pass on a 2 lane road. My tranny was replaced at 45K..I just noticed it starting to slip one morning on my way to work.

I'm just hoping that this is not a tranny design issue but rather a fluke for the older models. I bought mine in May 00.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro

I drive my car normally , have floored it several times to pass but have never raced with it . It slipped one night at 41,639 and the next day it went totally dead slipping at every gear. I dont think the tranny problems are due to harsh driving.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am hard on mine. Alot of high speed 80+, hard starts off the line, I floor it alot. I'm a lead foot So far mines ok after 5500 miles, & 1 oil change. However Ruski has a TL-S & isn't hard on it at all(I've seen the way he drives) 6K miles & his went. I have a idea,

The CL-S/TL-S trannys are all manufactured at different times. So non of them are exactly the same. I'm sure some of the tolrences are different between them, as other parts are used. The engine has high HP/TQ. On a given plan with all the trannys being equal, They should be able to handle the power. Now bring the different tolrences into play, & you wind up with alot of trannys that are a little different, that may. or may not be up to spec. Since I know a TL-S guy who's tranny went at 6K miles, & is easy on the car, this idea makes some sense.

Of course I don't know why. My idea might be off the wall wrong. It could be an issue with the way some parts are manufactored, & not meeting spec.
Acura are the ones who really know, & are choosing not to say.