just painted headlamps then ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just painted headlamps then ????

i just painted my headlamps or put new ones in and i am now having a fogging problem b4 someone says reseal it , i took the thing apart and resealed it(clear silicon/gasket sealer???toxic fumes..higggghh), used a dryer, used the mystery tool method with hanger.
Tested the housing in steamy bathroom, it looked to work great.
so .... i reinstalled it.
30 mins later. I see condensation forming again.....................

So i just reseat all the bulbs , try to dry it out again witout taking the housing out or removing bumper and i noticed that if u open up the system or drill a small enuff hole in the hosuing or on the side it solves the problem.
then i remenber my long time chemistry class......... i tried stuffing the plastic cap cover with SILICA GEl and Nordic Power using 3m tape and creating a vaccum, crazy enuff this has worked for a day now, no problems......
i will see how it hold up for the next few weeks. if it does, then its a permanent solution to the problem.

......note*** i believe this will only work if the housing is at least somewhat sealed 90% otherwise the chemicals might loose their strenght over time and if water really gets in it just soaks the gel up making it useless ti ll its dry again
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 AM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Mind sharing a pic or 2? I did my headlights a month ago and they kept fogging up. and I FINALLY got some time to re-seal them this morning... I didn't take them apart this time, just added another full bead of silicone all the way around.... Only time will tell...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by disgruntlednut
Mind sharing a pic or 2? I did my headlights a month ago and they kept fogging up. and I FINALLY got some time to re-seal them this morning... I didn't take them apart this time, just added another full bead of silicone all the way around.... Only time will tell...

will try to, but I know I am not about to take the lights out again... was a headache.

try opening the cap with the star key on it that covers the beam. and lay some 3m tape on the inside ( used 2 strips) and another one around the side diameter , then stick about 5 to six dessicants in there

replace cap and screw

and u done.

I also did this after resealing them did not work.

only one of my headlights had a problem the other was fine...............
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my lamps are the sam way....... o your saying drill a hole on the side of the lamp.... can you post a picxt of where you drilled the hole.... it kills me when your car looks all sexy and then you know people are looking at that lamp.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

very nice... i just cleared mine a few weeks ago and I have not noticed any fogging yet... if it does I'll have to look into this though.. good work!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I rechecked to day after leaving it in the hot weather 4 abt 6hrs, it still looking goood. But i am yet to take it thru a car wash.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 02CLNOS
One of my lamps are the sam way....... o your saying drill a hole on the side of the lamp.... can you post a picxt of where you drilled the hole.... it kills me when your car looks all sexy and then you know people are looking at that lamp.
If u have them painted pls dont drill a hole.
Just make sure the air inside the housing is really dry , before u seal it off and use the gel.
I noticed once i took the plastic cap off, there is a little hole below the bulb socket and that was enuff to releif the moisture in the summer heat(hot weather).

if u dont want to tk off the bumper again.
I say just heat/ dry it out or use the (hanger tool) with some bounty or whtever to dry it out, then leave the cap open /take one of the bulbs out to release the trapped moisture in there over time(30mins or so) once dry, add extra layer of silicon and add the desiccant to the 3m DB tape inside the cap and then see what happens.

worked for me...............
Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=disgruntlednut]Mind sharing a pic or 2? I did my headlights a month ago and they kept fogging up. and I FINALLY got some time to re-seal them this morning... I didn't take them apart this time, just added another full bead of silicone all the way around.... Only time will tell...[/QUOTE

did nt take pics but if i have to i could take the plastic cap off to show u the way i glue the 6 desiccant packs into the housing cover , if that helps. seems striaght frward though
Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

two weeks several rains, 4 car washes and NOT a damn problem. I guess its cured.

no more foggy moggy.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
sIx SpEeD

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Need pixx dude, im having the same problem! lol
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by badeh2
Need pixx dude, im having the same problem! lol
PMed
Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 AM