Just Mounted, new Kumho ASX 235/45/17's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Mounted, new Kumho ASX 235/45/17's

AS the subject reads, just had these mounted up. Sorry no pics yet. I did a ton of research on UHPAS tires (I know, the ultimate compromise, and I live in So. Cal.) but I wanted a smooth quiet tire that would still handle better and give me decent life. It came down to the Kumho ASX, Toyo Proxes 4 and Yoko H4s. The Yoko got ruled out due to some poor reviews on 1010tires.com. The Toyo was my first pick but they are impossible to find. Since I have some time off I really just wanted to go get them mounted locally and America's tire had the Kumho's reasonably priced at $121/ea mounted.

While I've only driven them 3 miles and only up to 55 on surface streets, here's how they feel so far;

Inflation; 34/34 from America's tire. I'll go to about 38/34 which is where my stocks were for comparison.

Steering: I worried about it getting heavy with the upsize but it actually feels lighter, especially at parking lot speeds, even with 4 less pounds in them. Once rolling, they feel about the same on center and a little sharper when starting a turn.

Braking: I expected a little improvement here and got it. Car come to a stop sooner with the same pressure, especially below 10mph.

Cornering: Havent pushed them yet but they feel sharper initially, then it gets a little softer, then they bite. I live near a curvey canyon so I'll report more on this when I get the chance.

Launching: I dont drag race the car and dont plan to floor it from a stop so sorry, I'll never know.

Ride: Better impact resistance and filtering of small bumps. As mentioned I planned to add as much air as I can before it feels harsh.

Noise: Quieter than stock even on smooth asphalt. You will actually hear the motor at 50 cruise (all stock w/stock exhaust). The biggest difference is on concrete where it is only slightly louder than on asphalt but much quieter than stock. A big improvement here. My next freeway trip will tell the tale though.

Appearance: The 235 is a little wider than the wheel but the rim protector is fairly minimal and it just exceeds the rim width and barely. The tire does lean out a little and is about even with the outermost part of the spoke. The tread is more agressive and the sidewall is nice, though there are 3 different 'fonts' of lettering including the lame script "All Season". Otherwise they are nice looking tires. There is also a very wide groove in the tread that surprised me. This must make it stick well in the wet.

While it is still early, I am pleased thus far. I'll try to get some pics posted soon as well as feedback my final preferred inflation.