Just a few questions from a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 08:12 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few questions from a newbie...

Good day to all! I first have to say that I LOOOOOOOVE my new cl-s! I do have a few questions for you guys though.

1 - Does anyone have engine noise when sitting at idle? The noise sounds like a lifter or something clicking constantly. My dealership tells me it is the fuel injectors firing and there is nothing i can do to prevent the clicking sound. I call the bullshit whistle on that! Can someone please shed some light???

2 - How does you-alls standard exhaust sound? Is it subdued or throaty? I drove one before i bought this one and the exhaust was very throaty....the one i bought is not. Any ideas???

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: Just a few questions from a newbie...

Originally posted by buzzardrocks
Good day to all! I first have to say that I LOOOOOOOVE my new cl-s! I do have a few questions for you guys though.

1 - Does anyone have engine noise when sitting at idle? The noise sounds like a lifter or something clicking constantly. My dealership tells me it is the fuel injectors firing and there is nothing i can do to prevent the clicking sound. I call the bullshit whistle on that! Can someone please shed some light???

2 - How does you-alls standard exhaust sound? Is it subdued or throaty? I drove one before i bought this one and the exhaust was very throaty....the one i bought is not. Any ideas???

Thanks guys!!
First off... welcome to the board. I'll answer your questions in the order you asked

1) Mine usually does not do this. I must say that I have heard it before... but only once or twice in the year I've had the car.

2) The stock exhaust is kind of subdued. When the car is cold it's a little more throaty, but once it warms up it's quiet. That's the reason that I bought the Comptech mufflers b/c I wanted the throaty sound!!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went to the dealer for the ticking noise.........they said it is an emmision exhaust canister valve.........and I trust my service guy.........as for the exhaust........I have Comptech mufflers........I can't remember what stock sounds like
Old 08-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2002 CL-S clicks all the time, dealer said its nothing to worry about...the stock exhaust is fine with me, id never swap out the exhaust....total waste
Old 08-16-2002, 10:08 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard the noise also, but the service guys at my dealship said it has something to do with a sensor for the temp. Who knows.. They could be giving me BS also..

As for the exhaust.. I still have stock exhaust, and I think that the only time it makes any sounds it when the car/exhaust is still cold, but once it warms up, then you pretty much can't hear a thing. This is good especially where I live, I sware the POPO's here don't have anything better to do other then harass people with nice cars. .. I was recently pulled over for having the PIAA's in the driving lights.