Just bought an '01 CL-S!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 03:44 AM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought an '01 CL-S!!

Whassup everybody!!!!!!

Well, after MONTHS of trying to sell my car, I FINALLY sold it today to a great guy....and afterwards headed over to Tustin Acura and picked myself up an '01 CL Type-S, Silver, 50k miles, Acura Certified, Chrome rims for $19.7 out the door (roughly $18050 b4 t&l). The car was originally listed for $21,888, then they had a sale for it for $18,988. So we talked em down to $18,000 basically. Omg you guys dont even know how STOKED I am. I have been following up on this car for about 8 months now. I am in LOVE! This car is everything I could have dreamed of. Performance & Luxury all in one. What a fuckin deal!! Anyways I don't wanna keep blabbering on about a car you all have lol. I hope I can get to know all you guys, you all seem great

Now I've got a few questions...I'm planning on keeping this car as stock as possible, but there are a few things I have planned on changing.

1) The fog lights...they suck, and I want to change them to look the same as the HIDs. What should I get? Btw, can you get HID fog lamps (just curious).

2) If I want to upgrade the HIDs to say, a more purplish/blue HID and keep the same amount of brightness, if not more, what exactly do I need to change? Just the bulbs, the ballasts, the entire thing? I have no idea about HIDs. Oh and what brands are the best for HIDs as well as the wattage I should get?

3) I want to clear out the headlights.....how do I go about doing this. Also what bulb goes in in side parking light so that I can change it to a white/blue like the HIDs. They didn't have an owners manual when i got the car and they have to send it to me in a few days.

4) Do I get the M3 or the M5 lip spoiler. Whats the difference? And is the quality different from the ones on ebay than at custom car creations or what not? How much should it run to get it painted?

That should be all for now. Thanks alot for helpin and hearin me out! I'm glad I can be part of these forums and enjoy the same car as the rest of you!

CL-S

`John
Old 01-31-2004, 05:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Congrats man! CLS for 18k is a great catch and a classy car

1. Dunno, never had a CLS.

2. Get some 6000k bulbs, i perfer phillips. Keep the stock ballasts.

3. Im sure theres a link somewhere on how to do this, search for "clear headlights" on this site. Its not that easy but many have done it.

4. err Hi. Dunno the answer. I lack in the CLS department :o
Old 01-31-2004, 05:55 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Welcome and congrats
Old 01-31-2004, 06:12 AM
Banned

Sorry, you're not allowed to keep your car stock. You have to at a minimum, lower it and put some rims on it. Sorry, rules of the forum. Welcome to the board,
Old 01-31-2004, 06:25 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on the new ride, you'll love it
Old 01-31-2004, 08:05 AM
Pro

Congrats--If you change your headlights to 6000 from stock, you lose about 15% of yor illumination. I don't think it's worth it because of the safety factor IMHO.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by louisn
Congrats--If you change your headlights to 6000 from stock, you lose about 15% of yor illumination. I don't think it's worth it because of the safety factor IMHO.

Ever own them? I had them on two differnt cars and i think they are well worth it. Never had issues with be able to see the road.

Dont knock it untill you try it
Old 01-31-2004, 08:25 AM
Pro

NO-Just my opinion I really hate to give up 15% of my illumination. I mean people spend hundreds of $$$$ on brake upgrades to gain a few feet. Same theory. Why give up the 15% in function for a questionable upgrade in appearance. Plus, the increased illumination was one of my reasons for choosing the CL-S along with the engine and the total value. Good Luck
Old 01-31-2004, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

good point.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Got a Job!

thanks everybody for all the warm welcomes!!

I can't wait to start changin her up!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:09 PM
2 C Not 2 Touch

Originally posted by louisn
NO-Just my opinion I really hate to give up 15% of my illumination. I mean people spend hundreds of $$$$ on brake upgrades to gain a few feet. Same theory. Why give up the 15% in function for a questionable upgrade in appearance. Plus, the increased illumination was one of my reasons for choosing the CL-S along with the engine and the total value. Good Luck
I got to agree with louisn on this. I tried 6000k and 8000k. Sold them both. You do lose visibility especially in the rain. You're basically paying the money for looks. I got to admit it looks cool, but I can't really see for shit!!!! Pardon my french!!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Got a Job!

ok so I probably shouldn't upgrade the stock HIDs?

heres a couple questions...for the turn signals up front, what is the part # and which are closest to look like the HIDs?

And as for the fog lights, are the PIAA's or the Polarg's closest to the HIDs?

For those who take care of the leather, what do you use and how often do you take care of it? Also, which wax is best for the car and how often should i wax? Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Pro

Congrats!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:07 PM
AKA MaxGeek

Thats a good deal, contrats on the car.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Got a Job!

thanks guys, chek out my racing story the other night...gosh I love this car lol!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Leave the stock HIDs alone...

Upgrade the fog lights and the high beams...

Upgrade all interior bulbs to white...

Enjoy :-)
Old 02-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Got a Job!

interior bulbs? as in the dome light??

By the way, is there ANY way to change the gauge lights and the clock/radio/instrument lights to another color??

Also I've got one quick question. On the way home tonight I noticed that around 30mph or so, if I hit the brake, just lightly to slow down to a red light, it gets kinda loud (the brakes that is) and then slowly softens in noise. Are the brakes supposed to be a little loud, or should I have them checked? I'm just wondering since I just picked up the car and was curious. Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Got a Job!

oh also, for some reason I can't get my signature to show up on my posts?? I typed the stuff in on my profile, how come it isn't showing up??
Old 02-02-2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Dem1K

Also I've got one quick question. On the way home tonight I noticed that around 30mph or so, if I hit the brake, just lightly to slow down to a red light, it gets kinda loud (the brakes that is) and then slowly softens in noise. Are the brakes supposed to be a little loud...
hmm... i dont know about the instrument cluster, wish mine were brighter! The brakes ive noticed on mine (also a cl-s silver ) dont make any noise when slowing around 30mph or so. You'll love this car man, you'll find tons of great things about it (like speed-sensitive wipers, etc) and just be careful with it. dont go racing people just yet. get more familiar w. ur new ride first you gotta be careful man, just my 2cents.
oh, and of course, welcome

-bryan
Old 02-02-2004, 02:06 AM
Got a Job!

thanks for the welcome and the heads up...

so your brakes dont make any sound??
Old 02-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Re: Just bought an '01 CL-S!!

Whassup everybody!!!!!!

Well, after MONTHS of trying to sell my car, I FINALLY sold it today to a great guy....and afterwards headed over to Tustin Acura and picked myself up an '01 CL Type-S, Silver, 50k miles, Acura Certified, Chrome rims for $19.7 out the door (roughly $18050 b4 t&l). The car was originally listed for $21,888, then they had a sale for it for $18,988. So we talked em down to $18,000 basically. Omg you guys dont even know how STOKED I am. I have been following up on this car for about 8 months now. I am in LOVE! This car is everything I could have dreamed of. Performance & Luxury all in one. What a fuckin deal!! Anyways I don't wanna keep blabbering on about a car you all have lol. I hope I can get to know all you guys, you all seem great

Now I've got a few questions...I'm planning on keeping this car as stock as possible, but there are a few things I have planned on changing.

1) The fog lights...they suck, and I want to change them to look the same as the HIDs. What should I get? Btw, can you get HID fog lamps (just curious).

2) If I want to upgrade the HIDs to say, a more purplish/blue HID and keep the same amount of brightness, if not more, what exactly do I need to change? Just the bulbs, the ballasts, the entire thing? I have no idea about HIDs. Oh and what brands are the best for HIDs as well as the wattage I should get?

3) I want to clear out the headlights.....how do I go about doing this. Also what bulb goes in in side parking light so that I can change it to a white/blue like the HIDs. They didn't have an owners manual when i got the car and they have to send it to me in a few days.

4) Do I get the M3 or the M5 lip spoiler. Whats the difference? And is the quality different from the ones on ebay than at custom car creations or what not? How much should it run to get it painted?

That should be all for now. Thanks alot for helpin and hearin me out! I'm glad I can be part of these forums and enjoy the same car as the rest of you!

CL-S

`John
u cant really do much with the fog light.. if u want it to be as bright as the REAL FOG LIGHT because what u have is not a real foglight. the most u can do is get M6 or something comparable.but u might burn ur foglight housing.
u will probably have to clear ur headlight by urself unless u wanna pay hundreds to do it at some shop. it s gonna take 10hrs+
M3 and M5 spoiler r almost identical... so u wont go wrong either way.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
thanks for the welcome and the heads up...

so your brakes dont make any sound??
maybe ur rotors r warpped.. maybe it s time for u to change ur brake pads. .. or maybe.. id ont know..there r many reasons for that. usually it should not make any sound unless ur using brembo or stoptech and etc that its using metallic pads.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Technique
Leave the stock HIDs alone...

Upgrade the fog lights and the high beams...

Upgrade all interior bulbs to white...

Enjoy :-)
Interior lights as in:

Lights on the door, the map lights, the dome light, the light in the glove box, the light in the trunk, etc..

The only interior bulbs I wouldn't touch are the ones in the vanity mirror...
Old 02-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Got a Job!

Hey guys, after reading the forums, I've seen that a whining sound from the car as you accelerate could be a possible lead to a transmission needing to be replaced. However I've also read that most Hondas/Acuras engine make this sound, ours in particular. Well after driving I've listened and around 2-3k RPM's, the car starts to make this whining sound...almost like a SC. What should I do? Should I take it to the dealership to have it checked or should it be fine?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Back to Four Doors

oh also, for some reason I can't get my signature to show up on my posts?? I typed the stuff in on my profile, how come it isn't showing up??
When you post a reply, you need to check one of the boxes below your reply that says .... drumroll please .... Show Signature.

Welcome to the club ... get sways ...
Old 02-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Got a Job!

lol...funny didn't even see that. Thx for the tip So I'm ordering a few of the PIAA lights for the fogs, reverse, dome, maps etc...hopefully it'll turn out good.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Got a Job!

So I've got 2 options to deal with right now.

1) I can get my windows tinted, and if so, how should I get em tinted? Straight black, Smoky, Metallic, etc...?

2) I can get the M5 lip spoiler.

Which should I get first?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:00 AM

1) I can get my windows tinted, and if so, how should I get em tinted? Straight black, Smoky, Metallic, etc...?

I say tint (but im biased!) i had a hard time deciding which tint/shade to go w. so after tons of suggestions on here, i went w. 15% smoke, and im really happy w. the results. turned out pretty sweet i think. love the lip spoiler. u pick which to do first.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Masshole

Nice choice!

SSM > *
Old 02-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Legend2Die4
I say tint (but im biased!) i had a hard time deciding which tint/shade to go w. so after tons of suggestions on here, i went w. 15% smoke, and im really happy w. the results. turned out pretty sweet i think. love the lip spoiler. u pick which to do first.

Your car is a beauty!

Love that tint job....When it's time for me to tint i'm def. going w/the "smoke"

I love newbies.....I was a newby in Nov. bought my CL-S on my birthday.

Still stock can't wait to get rid of the stock tires!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey guys, after reading the forums, I've seen that a whining sound from the car as you accelerate could be a possible lead to a transmission needing to be replaced. However I've also read that most Hondas/Acuras engine make this sound, ours in particular. Well after driving I've listened and around 2-3k RPM's, the car starts to make this whining sound...almost like a SC. What should I do? Should I take it to the dealership to have it checked or should it be fine?
dam dude you need to slow down! lol

ne ways congrats on your car...you live close to tustin? dont know where chatsworth is...I live semi-near by

whining while accelerating is not a problem...just enjoy it

now if the car starts to JERK severly while shifting gears, or jerks while crusing, then you have a problem

I like tustin acura...except they have NO loaner cars EVER...best you can get is a POS rental from enterprise
Old 02-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Got a Job!

Legend: Your car looks great!! By the looks of it, I think I'm gonna go w/ the smoke!

Bulldog: Thanks! I'm lovin it every damn day

bkknight: I live in the San Fernando Valley, bout 40 min north of Los Angeles...right around Northridge. Thanks for the tips on the tranny, makes me feel better
Old 02-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Just a few general comments/caveats about tinting your car...

1) The windows are already slightly tinted, and factory tint is always of higher quality than a film tint.

2) Tinting your car makes it more likely to be vandalized/stolen since people assume you have something inside worth stealing

3) Tinting your car makes you a more likely target for the cops

That being said, I've tinted every car I've owned EXCEPT for the CL Type S and Jag S-type, which I both bought brand new...
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

BTW, I've had the 2-3K rpm whining sound for the past 10k miles and the tranny hasn't had any problems... My car has just over 45k miles on it...

FYI, I don't think that means that the whining sound is harmless, I believe it means that my tranny is going to die eventually, but it doesn't mean that death is imminent, as evidenced by my having it for 10k miles and no problems so far (and I drive my car VERY hard)...
Old 02-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

I'm starting to warm up to this car, I came from an Infiniti QX4 so it's been an adjustment. If I can get all the squeaks and rattles eleminated i'd be happy.

Want to get maybe %10 tinting...
Old 02-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Got a Job!

good lookin out Technique...however Im'a tint the windows any-how . And hopefully I'll be getting the m5 spoiler within the next week.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Just bought an '01 CL-S!!

1. Replace the Fog Lights with either PIAA's or Polarg's. I had Polarg's and thought they matched the HID's well.

[B

[/B]
Old 02-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Subie Dubie

Livin in Cali i'd do the tint first. Then sways, new rubber, headers, intake.............. Welcome !!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Got a Job!

Originally posted by Red Rider
Livin in Cali i'd do the tint first. Then sways, new rubber, headers, intake.............. Welcome !!
Ok, looks like I'm gonna do the tint. As for the headers/intake, I'm not gonna do any engine mods to this car. Atleast not for a while. Sways I'm thinking about, and rubber I'd get when I get rims which wont be for a while. Btw, which sways should I get and how much are they? How bout front & rear strut bars?

Quick Reply: Just bought an '01 CL-S!!