Jens, you just did my car's 30k servicing and I have a question for you

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jens, you just did my car's 30k servicing and I have a question for you

Hi Jens,

You did the 30k service maintenance for my car yesterday and you put some foam to resolve the 3rd brake light rattle. The rattle is gone but now I hear a soft ticking noise when driving on the highway at highway speeds (~65 mph) from the 3rd brake light area.

Is there a easy fix for this ticking noise?

I thought that the door hinges will be lubed for major service and I did not mention that my passenger side door has a creaking noise when opened slowly. But it was not lubed so do I have to mention these types of problems when I take the car in for servicing?

Last question is that the right green LED for my AC unit display seems to have gone out today (what luck - just 1 day after the 30k servicing), so is there a fuse I can replace or does the whole unit needs to be replaced? I would like to see if there is an easy fix that I can do because I have to drive 30 miles to get to Park Ave Acura for servicing.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Advanced

^ bump.

Anyone has ideas on these issues?
Old 09-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Racer

Re: Jens, you just did my car's 30k servicing and I have a question for you

Originally posted by willang
Hi Jens,

You did the 30k service maintenance for my car yesterday and you put some foam to resolve the 3rd brake light rattle. The rattle is gone but now I hear a soft ticking noise when driving on the highway at highway speeds (~65 mph) from the 3rd brake light area.

Is there a easy fix for this ticking noise?

I thought that the door hinges will be lubed for major service and I did not mention that my passenger side door has a creaking noise when opened slowly. But it was not lubed so do I have to mention these types of problems when I take the car in for servicing?

Last question is that the right green LED for my AC unit display seems to have gone out today (what luck - just 1 day after the 30k servicing), so is there a fuse I can replace or does the whole unit needs to be replaced? I would like to see if there is an easy fix that I can do because I have to drive 30 miles to get to Park Ave Acura for servicing.
Unfortunately, yes, you do have to tell the service advisor every little issue you want resolved.

Check the fuse that would light up the green light on the AC button. If that does not fix the problem, unfortunately you will have to take it in to have the bulb replaced. This is strange in that those little bulbs are built to last a good couple of years.

Good luck,

BTW I am having my 30K service done this weekend. Going to Alhambra, CA. They will charge me $295.00
Old 09-24-2003, 03:15 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, that is cheap compared to the average range of the 30k service maintenance over here - $400 before tax.

There is 2 LED which lights up the AC display unit and only one has gone out. But if I turn it off and on again, the 2 LEDs come up and after about 1 minute, the one on the right side will go off.

Any ideas on this? It certainly does not seem like the LED is dead since it comes on when you cycle the on/off button, maybe the connection is not good?
Old 09-24-2003, 03:56 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to see I missed the door however I did not hear this noise when I used the door to gain access to the AC panel filters ,based on what you describe a shot of WD 40 ought to take care of it however it may also have a faulty door check which would be replaced under warranty .The noise with the 3rd brake light would require a road test with you ,cars are capable of making a huge variety of sounds .Based on your complaint we went for the known trouble maker (3rd brake light) and installed some gray foam to alleviate the problem .The subsequent road test showed the noise to be gone .However if there is another noise it would be best if we drove the car together to make certain that we are on the same page .Subtle noises like this can be difficult to diagnose as what one person interprets as noise could be interpreted by another person as normal or not obtrusive enough to be a cause for concern .
Your LED concern unfurtuanately chose to fail after you picked the car up but it sounds like a warranty concern we can take care of next time the car is there for us to look at .
Jens
Old 09-24-2003, 03:58 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
30 k service 275 here in Clearwater Fla...next month sometime.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:33 AM
Advanced

Thanks Jens.

I have discovered the cause of the ticking noise - it is the rubbing between the foam installed and the glass.

The rattle is definitely gone and fixed with the foam but this is a byproduct of the fix. If you rub two foam together or foam against glass, you will hear the squeaking/ticking noise.

What can I do about this? Previously, the rattle only happens on really bumpy roads but this foam rubbing noise is heard on less-than-perfect roads on the highway.

Since I commute more than 50 miles each way to/fro work, I hear this noise almost every other minute - which you can imagine is very disturbing.

Surprisingly, it does not happen when I am driving on city roads at 35 mph - 45 mph.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Advanced

1killercls,

Wow - that's really a good deal compared to prices around NJ.

Seems like almost all the other states other than our tri-state area charges less than $300 for this 30k service.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Advanced

But, come to think of it, even though it is cheaper to get the car serviced in other states/dealerships, you will not have our trusted friend, Jens working on your car.

I am kinda paranoid about letting other people do major servicing/ warranty work on my car since you never know if they will miss out on something.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1killercls
30 k service 275 here in Clearwater Fla...next month sometime.
Yeah, but you live in Florida...

:P
Old 09-24-2003, 06:39 AM
retired

Hmm never had one make noise after the foam "update" .This is a weird one I will have to see if there is something else I can "Update " this with .
We usually only road test cars on local streets unless a specific complaint for a highway speed problem is mentioned hence I saw the car as cured .Sorry about that one,my bad .I will have to look around and see what other sort of material might be suitable for noise insulation that will not cause this odd ticking you describe .
Jens
Old 09-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Regarding the prices... they are negotiable... it depends what you want done. I do most of the stuff myself, so when I brought the car to PAA, I only had them do the major things I couldn't or didn't want to do (like the A/C filter, etc.). My 30k service PLUS my header install was a little more then what only the full 30k service would cost if you had everything done.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Jens,

It will be great if you can find another material that will resolve
the rattle issue and not cause the foam-window rubbing noise.

Please keep us updated.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by juniorbean
Regarding the prices... they are negotiable... it depends what you want done. I do most of the stuff myself, so when I brought the car to PAA, I only had them do the major things I couldn't or didn't want to do (like the A/C filter, etc.). My 30k service PLUS my header install was a little more then what only the full 30k service would cost if you had everything done.
I knew that you can do this. However, I thought that in the 30k servicing, all fluids and oil will be replaced and therefore, I decided to go for the full service instead of doing some of the simple stuff.

After looking at the service booklet that Frank gave me on Monday, it seems that only certain fluids are replaced while others are topped off.

One question for all of you, does the coolant need to be replaced ? If so, at what interval/time period?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jens H.
Hmm never had one make noise after the foam "update" .This is a weird one I will have to see if there is something else I can "Update " this with .
We usually only road test cars on local streets unless a specific complaint for a highway speed problem is mentioned hence I saw the car as cured .Sorry about that one,my bad .I will have to look around and see what other sort of material might be suitable for noise insulation that will not cause this odd ticking you describe .
Jens
Use felt tape...it always works for me...parts should stock it. I forgot which bulletin uses it but they should have a roll in parts...
Old 09-24-2003, 02:02 PM
retired

Yeah i got the felt tape stuff ,buckets of it .Problem is it is not thick enough and that other crappy black foam lacks the ability to retain it's shape under even slight pressure .I typically use the grey foam blocks the new cars have all over them .It is closed cell foam so it will retain a given shape and push the 3 rd brake lite away from the rear window enough to avoid the ubiquitious rattle .It might be there is something on the glass causing it to make noise on this particular car or there is quite possibly another source of noise that was masked by the much louder creaking .
Jens
Old 09-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Sweet as Gold

maybe...but whenever I get one w/ a third brake light rattle...I apply two layers of the black felt tape around the housing...like you said it's not thick enough to actually push away the third brake lamp housing...however when the housing w/ the felt tape hit's the rear windshield...there is no rattle...the felt tape doesn't rattle like plastic does. Are you using the foam from the front bumpers of pdi's...great stuff. I also use the felt tape on rsx's on the plastic engine cover where it meets the intake manifold...we've had numerous rattles from that area and it works every time!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:52 AM
retired

Yeah i love that RSX engine cover great design that one .LOLOL

Jens
Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Advanced

I think when I first bought the car new 3 years back, the sales person told me that they have installed felt tape around the 3rd brake light of all CLs due to the rattling issue.

Perhaps this is the cause since there is now the felt tape and the foam around the same area?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:26 AM
retired

It is possible that they did in fact install the felt prior to delivery but I seriously doubt it .

Jens
Old 09-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Sweet as Gold

they probably lied to ya...
Old 09-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Advanced

I guess I was not that clear. The sales person told me that their dealership installed the felt tape for the CLs that they sold, not installed on all the CLs that is manufactured in Ohio.

Sorry.