It's depressing buying a new car :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's depressing buying a new car :(

It's been about 4 months of test drive after test drive and review after review of what appears to be the best and worst of what's out there to buy. I found myself sitting in Audi the other day almost annoyed at the process of finding a replacement car for my CL-S. My lease is coming up sooner than later and I don't want to keep it due to the issues I've had with it and I'm somewhat bored of the car.

My journey started with an M3 and the rationalization of spending 60K on a monster car but then BMW really fucked it all up. It turned out that 3 weeks ago I find out that State Farm gave me the rate for a 3 series insurance not an M3 insurance rate and that an M3 would have been about $776 or so a month to insure so I guess it was a good thing everything fell apart cuz that's nuts.

Then I was selfish and I tried to convince myself that I wanted to spend 50+K on my next car so I took out the E500 and CLK 500 and fell in love with the Mercedes line. Then reality check happened and I realized that I didn't want to drop all this money on an expensive ass car since I'm opening up my own business.

Then I figured I should just stick with Acura and pick up the MDX and drop about 42K on a truck with alot of very fine features for the money. Reality check again: I love to speed and whip through traffic and i'm absolutely fooling myself if I think I can do this in an SUV. I'd probably kill myself or someone else.

So.........
I'm back where I started my journey, looking for a 30-45K replacement for the CL-S. I don't wanna buy anything less than an Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Saab, or Acura because once you've owned a second tier car and your used to the great service, nice loaners and better treatment it's hard to go backwards and I don't plan to.

I have to tell you guys, in all honesty... It's hard to find a car that does everything as balanced as the CLS. If your a serious shopper who really loves driving like me you'll find yourself in the same boat when you have to decide on what's next in your garage.

So far, here are my favorites like them or not:

BMW 330ci Loaded (Basically IMO better than a CLS all around but pricey)
Audi 1.8t Loaded (although I am having second thoughts on chipping and going through the hassles just to save some up front bucks.)
Audi 3.0 Loaded (not very moddable if I wanted to)

I am considering a used S4 at this point from the right seller since that car seems to be my favorite 'missed' car that's not in production.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ernie,
Thorough man!!! I was also TORMENTED when choosing the CLS the first time and even more when i got the 6speed. I feel for you and completely understand what you are going through. When you do make the decision it'll be the right one!

330ci is my choice
Old 11-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Ernie, get the 330Ci. You'll spend something in the low 40s for a kick ass car, lower payments than the ///M, lower insurance... Audis and MBs and nice, but after driving the 330 5spd I'm hooked. Don't be surprised if I'm driving one in the spring time...
Old 11-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

One sidenote: That would be a RWD only 330ci with the 5 speed. I actually like the sedan more than the coupe but that's just me.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:34 PM
on a 10 mile ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eclipse - aint it the truth!!

Been agonizing for months over what to do. Thought about droping down a tier to save cash and get better mileage but I've been in acura's now for years and the thought of a Maxima/Altima or new Accord or overpriced VW or anything american just doesn't cut it with the ego.

Okay then, lease something in the same class. All the other makes listed asked for $35k minimum, more like $40k for the same features as the CLS and my '01 lease payoff was $21.5K, so up to $20k more for what?

IMO the BMW is the only car BETTER than the CLS but what a cost. So how about USED luxury. I think the only thing worth considering is the '97-'00 540i 6-speed. Great luxury, way f&*kin' fast, big and comfy and rock solid. If you can find one with low miles you might go test it. Should be under $30K.

My other problem is my CLS is Gold w/a slight scrap that'll cost $1600 to fix. Dealers wont touch it for more than $16k!, I didn't want to pay the lease company to give it back, soooo

Bought myself a Gold '01 stock w/wing CLS that I'll mod asap and can afford. Fast, comfy, very unique and at $21.5 can't be touched by anything for all around smile factor.

Always thought the Legend/new CL was targeted directly at me, just wish Acura used the Lexus marketing/pricing/customer service model so we didn't have to justify to everyone how great a car the CLS real is.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Racer

What about a pre-owned w208 MB CLK430? I love the look of the previous model. I love the 330 too, but it seems like every 3rd car on the road is a 3-series. The turbo Volvo S60 isn't bad...the S60R should be a great car. I'm with you on the "old" S4's too. GS-series from Lexus are nice (although I'm not crazy about the styling)....For 40K, you have a lot of great choices....pre-owned NSX? Also, I've done a little digging, and it seems like insurance on the CLS is higher than on many more expenseive cars (M3, Z06 etc. aside of course). I look at it like $100/month saved in insurance is an $100/month for a car payment.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:37 PM
'Cooter

there was an article in the Wall St. Journal talking about some '01/'02 upperscale cars selling for as little as half their original value...if yer still considering perhaps an older-looking bodystyle, i can fish the article from home...MB, BMW, and Audi's were among the models referenced
Old 11-20-2002, 02:38 PM

I feel u on this. Though it's about my car. There is nothing in the same $$ range/features etc I would want new or used. Unless its an Aston Martin or Lambo. Oh well. I feel u on the car choices. Maybe cause every POS built nowadys is a truck or SUV.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

what, no g35?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:40 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Stop whinning and get a Focus!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Just think of your troubles if the budget was only 25,000 or so.

Why don’t you buy something used that’s off a 2 or 3 year lease.
You’ll be able to buy your High-End Bimmer or Mercedes for 30-40K and let the other guy take the depreciation hit.
Work an extended warranty into the deal and your safe from repairs for a while and the insurance would probably be cheaper too.

Better overall investment for the security of your business too because your payment and overall loss after a few years will be less.

Shawn S
Old 11-20-2002, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
eclipse...wouldnt an 03 cl 6mt with comptech s/c and full wheel and suspension. cost much less than all of the above?out perform all but the M (straightline questionable) and give you the comfotable daily driver you seek?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have to tell you guys the advice and feedback on this topic is wonderful. What great ideas and yes Scooter I'd like to see that article if it's not too much work. The 540 is definitely a possibility gonna check into that now. Thanks again guys I was afraid I was coming off a little pretentious (I mean, what a problem to have LOL) but must of you know I make my own money no silver spoon here.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:52 PM
on a 10 mile ride

problem solved

you could drive this
Old 11-20-2002, 02:54 PM
Banned

Get a 540 or a GS430.....
Old 11-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 9mileskid
problem solved

you could drive this
I don't like the silver rails plus I'm not a good swimmer. Next time you take a pic of a boat be sure to get more of the boat in the picture.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:00 PM
on a 10 mile ride

what boat?
Old 11-20-2002, 03:01 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

9mileskid, driving that thing would force me to eject in 10 seconds...

I can not take it.... pure and simple
Old 11-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

wait for the Volvo S60R.... I am sure in less than 6 months you will find a boosting chip that would add some 40-65 HP easily...
Old 11-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Administrator Alumnus

540s are nice, but I'd still go for a coupe!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Are you planning to lease or finance?

Auto I presume.

After this car, I dont want anything brand new as I dont like taking the depreciation hit. And I am sure we all have similar tastes in cars, so here are my suggestions as far as used cars go:

s4
gs430.
CLK430 is very nice as well, tough to find, still a very desirable car.

Stay away from buying off-lease vehicle unless they truly look superb. People out there that lease their cars on majority dont give a flying F about them, doing things like putting 87 into a 91 recommended engine. See if you can get a 1-2 yr old ride, its the best of both worlds, less money and still sorta new with a warranty. good luck. Let us know of your ideas.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Banned

i dont mean to flame but this thread is ridiculous.....i WISH i had this guys problems....oh poor me i cant deside which luxury car to buy...its a tough choice between an M3 and a luxury SUV, what is a guy to do....i cant deside if i want to speed 600 or 700 a month on insurance even thought for anyone with half a brain, that is a significant portion of a mortgage payment....christ....alot of people dont pay 700 bucks for insurance IN A YEAR!!!! anyone who pays that amount for insurance has some serious problems and should probably reconsider their priorities....no one in their right mind would even ENTERTAIN the idea of paying that...a thread like this is just as bad as some spoiled little bitch kid asking which car his parents should buy, the ferrari or the 150k mercedes....what problems you people have...has it ever occured to you that millions of people in this country are just trying to scrape up 500 bucks to buy a POS car so they can get their kids to school and get to work??? must be nice to be able to brag about being so rich and starting a business and blah blah blah...

this thread is sad
Old 11-20-2002, 03:10 PM
on a 10 mile ride

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&car_year=2000

check it out!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:14 PM
on a 10 mile ride

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...&car_year=2000

Closer, darker, sweeter. Hey just wishing I could go down that road. Good luck, tho buying a car shouldn't be this hard...
Old 11-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jimcol711
..............and blah blah blah...

this thread is sad
Jim,

If you knew him you wouldn’t be saying most of what you just posted.
I respect someone who works hard for what he has and this is definitely the case here.

If he were some 16-year-old kid looking to spend 70K of daddy’s money I’m sure this thread would be on page 50 of flames by now.

Shawn S
Old 11-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by jimcol711
i dont mean to flame but this thread is ridiculous.....i WISH i had this guys problems....oh poor me i cant deside which luxury car to buy...its a tough choice between an M3 and a luxury SUV, what is a guy to do....i cant deside if i want to speed 600 or 700 a month on insurance even thought for anyone with half a brain, that is a significant portion of a mortgage payment....christ....alot of people dont pay 700 bucks for insurance IN A YEAR!!!! anyone who pays that amount for insurance has some serious problems and should probably reconsider their priorities....no one in their right mind would even ENTERTAIN the idea of paying that...a thread like this is just as bad as some spoiled little bitch kid asking which car his parents should buy, the ferrari or the 150k mercedes....what problems you people have...has it ever occured to you that millions of people in this country are just trying to scrape up 500 bucks to buy a POS car so they can get their kids to school and get to work??? must be nice to be able to brag about being so rich and starting a business and blah blah blah...

this thread is sad

Always a fawkin hater in the crowd. Dude, you cant read and your comprehension skills are way off as well. Re-read his post and you will answer all your own questions.

He is in fact trying to save money, thats why he did not buy M3 or CLK or E class or MDX. Whats the matter witchya?
He is only trying to buy a car somewhat more expensive than his CLS, some people, I just dont get.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Got a question for eclipse23 or who ever is nearing the end of their lease or has leased before. Is honda offering a lower buy out on your CLS. I've heard of GM doing this (ex Know someone who leased a Tahoe the buy-out was around 15K and they talked GM down to 9.5K)?
Anyfeed back would be very helpful in my decision on weather to keep my CLS at the end or get rid of it in the summer. My buy out is 17.8K and I will not pay this for this POS thats on the 2nd tranny and 5th set of brakes and rotors. You guys might find this funny but these are the cars/truck I'm thing of getting in the summer:

03 F350 diesel crewcab short bed Every option (I know way out of class but will save me from have two autos).
03 G35C Just drove one yesterday w/every option that thing is BAD ASS
04 TL-S
00 & up 540I
Old 11-20-2002, 03:25 PM
on a 10 mile ride

hey jim, this is a luxury car forum right? Alot of us worked our way out of needing to scrape up enough cash to pay the mortgage or buy food to get to this point. where spending an extra $1-$200 a month is a big god damn deal and we want value for our hard earned cash.

I for one resent you taking this thread to stand on the soapbox. Relative problems my man. Once you got the survival shit handled you can start looking at the luxuries of life. We're here to support each other not flame each other for expressing ourselves. At least not so seriously. With as long as you've been here where do you come off with that? I give to charity.

Shit, sell your ride(s), and donate the cash to the needy and buy a '77 pacer - noone's stopping you.

Not the place not the time
Old 11-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i dont mean to flame but this thread is ridiculous.....i WISH i had this guys problems....oh poor me i cant deside which luxury car to buy...its a tough choice between an M3 and a luxury SUV, what is a guy to do....i cant deside if i want to speed 600 or 700 a month on insurance even thought for anyone with half a brain, that is a significant portion of a mortgage payment....christ....alot of people dont pay 700 bucks for insurance IN A YEAR!!!!

Actually asshole, if you read the thread with some comprehension you would see that I did not opt for that high payment of insurance. I live in NJ not some old forgotten city like Milwaukee so I pay high insurance.

anyone who pays that amount for insurance has some serious problems and should probably reconsider their priorities....

Yeah, lemme move out the the sticks and buy a scooter, I have some points, 7 to be exact and I admit they are mine and I am paying for them.

no one in their right mind would even ENTERTAIN the idea of paying that...a thread like this is just as bad as some spoiled little bitch kid asking which car his parents should buy, the ferrari or the 150k mercedes....what problems you people have...

I don't think so kid. I guess everyone in the Bay Area or out on Long Island in the same boat as me as far as high payments go. Where I live in the NYC metropolitan area we get paid more but out cost of living is also higher.

has it ever occured to you that millions of people in this country are just trying to scrape up 500 bucks to buy a POS car so they can get their kids to school and get to work???

When I was 15 I was helping my mother put food on the table when my father was laid off from his job. My first vehicle was bought with a loan from a bank in my name. You obviously don't know me at all or haven't been here long enough to make these statements about me.

must be nice to be able to brag about being so rich and starting a business and blah blah blah...

Bragging? What do I have to brag about? Nothing. Rich? That's funny last time I checked I was still making my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take to work. I'm a self starter you ignorant little fuck. My parents were blue collar, I'm one of the first in my family to finish college and do something more than walk to a plant every day of my life. I will be rich one day and hopefully well off to enjoy the spoils of my hard work. While your fucking your busted ass g/f on the weekend and wasting your time playing GTA3 and jerking off I'm out making money towards my future working close to 80 hours a week to make my dreams come true. Don't bring your soapbox bullshit my way son your barking up the wrong tree.

this thread is sad

No, sorry Jim, your sad, because you are a hater. Who the fuck are you anyways? Please, your a spring chicken around here with a big mouth spouting some bullshit like the next ignorant newbie. How about shutting the fuck up and taking the back seat for a while and get to learn some of us before making an ass out of yourself.
[
Old 11-20-2002, 03:29 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by ATLcl98
what, no g35?
yeah...eclipse...did you consider the infiniti line?

The M45, although not pretty in some eyes, is very technically inclined, powerful and unique.

The G35 would also be a good contender...wether coupe or sedan

Personally, if i'm going to own a car, I wouldn't purchase used. You never know what the previous owner has done to the car (as someone already mentioned)
Old 11-20-2002, 03:30 PM
on a 10 mile ride

01CL-S

I spoke to HAF, they're insured for the difference on a lease. If they auction your car for less than residual they get paid!!! I tried the same thing and they wouldn't even consider it!! Just walk away or sell it yourself, I'm sure it's worth a lot more than $17.5...

Problem is the only loser is the next guy. The dealer who buys it at auction will buy low, HAF get their money and the next buyer won't know about the tranny or the price dealer paid and probably will see the mods and get taken for big bux.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

"......and thats all I have to say about that." (Forrest Gump)

yeah, eclipse,
Old 11-20-2002, 03:33 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Still can't go wrong with one of these...

Old 11-20-2002, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Well if you are going used, then forget the german cars... cuz first of all... if they are cars being off leased, then you have no idea how the other guy treated it, or even if he had oil changes done. That goes for any used car. Gs430 is really nice and would last a long time, but how does it handle compared to the 540i? I drove the 540i awhile back and it blows away the 330.. i mean i fell in love with it, but i just couldnt see myself spending 35-40k on a USED 2000 540i which looks a little outdated as well.. But thats me and im a snob.

I say get a new 330. Buying used, is buying another guys problems unless its a japanese car. IMO.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Crazy, I dont agree with you. If you get a slightly used vehicle, meaning 1-2 years old, the warranty is still there, you can see if the car has been in any serious accident and you can check all the maintenance records if you are buying from a previous owner who cared for the car. Also, warranty is there.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Scrib

Why would you post a pic of those ugly rims... You are going to scare everyone away!!

Showoff? You can say that....
Old 11-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Rims aren't that bad... The car still looks good...
Old 11-20-2002, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by BigPimp
Crazy, I dont agree with you. If you get a slightly used vehicle, meaning 1-2 years old, the warranty is still there, you can see if the car has been in any serious accident and you can check all the maintenance records if you are buying from a previous owner who cared for the car. Also, warranty is there.
ok warranty is great...but its a hassle if you have to take you car to the dealer for the same problems.

Now how acura has the extended warranty.. and say you tranny kept dying every other month... you wouldnt be upset with your car since its under warranty? I mean it only goes soo far.

Oh and other thing, if the car doesnt have many miles on it.. then you have to wonder why the other owner got rid of it soo fast...

But thats just me, and im a pussy
Old 11-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

JimCol,
Slow your roll pal DO NOT talk shit about Eclipse. You don't know him so I suggest your shut your trap.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:42 PM
__

A4 3.0

Quick Reply: It's depressing buying a new car :(