Ipaq / GPS Experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:18 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Ipaq / GPS Experts needed

I have a Comaq Ipaq 3850 sitting here in a box at home and I just realized that I could probably use it for a sick GPS setup in my car.

I have searched for all-in-one cradles like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712206800&rd=1

But I have no idea what I am doing. I am looking to setup something like above but need to know exactly what to buy? Whats good?

I want a nice clean install.

anyone know?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipaq GPS

I thought the same thing about 8 months ago. I have an ipaq 4155 and wanted nav. So i bought a holder, a bluetooth nav unit a car charger....the works. So after spending about 500 dollars in additions to my ipaq, and 27 days testing it in real world use, here is my conclusion.

Buy indash nav.

The screen on the ipaq is way to small to see or really use when driving. The graphics and the street names are sub par. Everytime you get in the car you have to start up the program and locate the sats which takes about 45 seconds. Than you have to use the stylus or a mini keyboard to key in the destination. The data maps are tiny and are no where are useful as the DVD discs included in aftermarket nav systems. Aftermarket navs have voice control which is so much more user friendly than tapping little buttons. I hate to sound so negative, but its really not worth it.

For 1700 you can get at avn-1 which is touchscreen, Has BUILT IN navigation, full voice control, plays dvds, mp3's, monitors your cars performace (g forces, times and such) and is a CLEAN install.

Once you hook up everything to the ipaq, its ugly no matter how you set it up. My advice is sell the ipaq and save up for the avn-1.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i have a cf gps that's brand new. it's made by pharos and i decided to build a computer in my car instead of using my pda. pm me if you're interested. it's a kit like the one you are looking at but with a gps receiver card.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:05 AM
I shave my change purse

Originally Posted by umcp
i have a cf gps that's brand new. it's made by pharos and i decided to build a computer in my car instead of using my pda. pm me if you're interested. it's a kit like the one you are looking at but with a gps receiver card.
I was looking to get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Then buy a 256mb SD Memory ($35)

I'd have gps system for ~$140

What do you think?

Also, since I hear the software that this thing comes with sucks, I was going to download this one: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/PocketPC/Routis.htm

What do you think? The routis software looks nice since you don't need to use the stylus or keyboard to enter info
Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 AM
I shave my change purse

Originally Posted by CLver
I thought the same thing about 8 months ago. I have an ipaq 4155 and wanted nav. So i bought a holder, a bluetooth nav unit a car charger....the works. So after spending about 500 dollars in additions to my ipaq, and 27 days testing it in real world use, here is my conclusion.

Buy indash nav.

The screen on the ipaq is way to small to see or really use when driving. The graphics and the street names are sub par. Everytime you get in the car you have to start up the program and locate the sats which takes about 45 seconds. Than you have to use the stylus or a mini keyboard to key in the destination. The data maps are tiny and are no where are useful as the DVD discs included in aftermarket nav systems. Aftermarket navs have voice control which is so much more user friendly than tapping little buttons. I hate to sound so negative, but its really not worth it.

For 1700 you can get at avn-1 which is touchscreen, Has BUILT IN navigation, full voice control, plays dvds, mp3's, monitors your cars performace (g forces, times and such) and is a CLEAN install.

Once you hook up everything to the ipaq, its ugly no matter how you set it up. My advice is sell the ipaq and save up for the avn-1.
Thanks for the advice, but I am on a limited budget for now and plan on buying an in-dash in the future. For $140 (look above) I think i'll take my chances for now. If it doesn't work out, i'll just re-ebay everything
Old 08-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i have the i-360 gps with the mobile package dock thing.

my girlfriend has the pics on her camera if you want me to send em to you.

i just want to get rid of it.

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/co...lash/PF080.htm

i haven't played with the ostia software but i went to a microsoft presentation and they were using it there. its pretty cool because it talks to you.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 AM
I shave my change purse

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for a solution where I don't have to keep the ipaq near a window. I plan to hide an antenna on the daskboard somwhere and place the ipaq low (possibly a gooseneck) on the pass side.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You can PM me if you need help, my dad and I both have IPAQ GPS setups. Also, if you come to the meet next sunday, I could show you mine in person. They do take a sec to get a fix but for a total of $200 plus IPAQ and you can use it for other stuff, In-dash ain't worth the money.