Installed Testpipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
I wanna upgrade the cat but DO NOT WANT THE EGG SMELL.... i WILL NOT...

does the XLR8 high flow cat do that?

and u need to get emissions test done every 2 years, so u gotta be able to pass it or else they make u drop 500-1000 in it before allowing u back on the road.
i got one of their cats and it does not seem to have the rotten egg smell at all (and no CEL so far; only has been like a month) , be nice if they had included the gaskets with it (front one i used a modifield jeep one, just needed 2 of the holes repunched, the rear is just a universial 3-bolt one) but anyways my biggest grip about it is the fact that they need to move the o2 sensor a little bit foward or rotate it a little cause the wire for it is kinda stretched and snug with connecting to the wiring harness

same thing here with emissions here every 2 years we (colorado) basically have to pass califonia level emissions, and the test they do is the IM240 test on a modifield chassis dyno (bastards won't give you your horsepower), and while they are doing that, the tail pipe has a hose stuffed up it sampling ALL of your exhaust gases
we also have road side testers (you just drive by them accelerating) that if you can get a passing grade from them a couple times you don't have to go to the dyno when your time is due (but you gotta still pay them)

but anyways that is why you keep your stock cat just in case you do fail and have to retest (but hondas run pretty clean anyways and can still pass with a gutted cat [it did on my 94 accord])
Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
You're bitching about emissions every 2 years?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

New York requires a yearly inspection. They put the car on a dyno and put a sniffer on the exhaust (pre-OBD cars). For OBD1/2 cars they plug into it and read all the data. If you reset your ecu prior to the test, it will fail because all the values havent been set. It really is a bitch come inspection time.

And why are you complaining about 50 over? Thats 31mph. Thats wreckless driving in VA. IIRC thats 8 points on your license for 5 years. In NY, anything more then 20 over will get you arrested and your car gets impounded.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
You're bitching about emissions every 2 years?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

New York requires a yearly inspection. They put the car on a dyno and put a sniffer on the exhaust (pre-OBD cars). For OBD1/2 cars they plug into it and read all the data. If you reset your ecu prior to the test, it will fail because all the values havent been set. It really is a bitch come inspection time.

And why are you complaining about 50 over? Thats 31mph. Thats wreckless driving in VA. IIRC thats 8 points on your license for 5 years. In NY, anything more then 20 over will get you arrested and your car gets impounded.
and they are actual inspections (like actually checking to make sure you have brakes) in ny not just some sniffing of the tailpipe , and looking to make sure the emissions equipment is their (they just use a mirror too, to look for the cat)

i know in colorado, the moniters (civic's values) don't even have to be all run, cause when i had fixed my seat i had disconnected (everything resets) the battery for the airbag, then reconnected it when i was done, but anyways right after that i went to the dmv to change the title, then the emissions place to get that done , (and it had a fastpass so it did not even have to do the full test) and it passed with flying colors, but the funny thing is i did not even think about the fact i had disconnected the battery before hand and only thought about it after the fact (also i drove maybe 5 miles at the most after reconnecting the battery, and it was in town too, so i know all the moniters had not run yet)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
easy fix. take the heat shield off the cat and weld it on the test pipe. think outside of the box.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Yea, I was used to a 30 minute inspection in NY.

I registered the car down here in VA, and I waited over an hour. They had the car on the lift going through everything. I feel more comfortable knowing my car is solid, but its still a bit rediculous.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rajca
easy fix. take the heat shield off the cat and weld it on the test pipe. think outside of the box.
And thats exactly what I was going to do
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Yea, I was used to a 30 minute inspection in NY.

I registered the car down here in VA, and I waited over an hour. They had the car on the lift going through everything. I feel more comfortable knowing my car is solid, but its still a bit rediculous.
i would say it would only be like 10-15 minutes at max here if they actually got off their asses and moved, and hired enough people (and got people who actually knew what they were doing, i had to show them were the DLC [OBD-II] connecter was [pretty standard place for every other car being under the dash, since it is a 03]

and yeah about the heatshield you would proably only need the bottom one here at that if it was tucked up high enough
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I have a p2r test pipe that is new in the bm for 75 plus shipping if anyone is interested.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got my P2R test pipe installed and love it! Sound is more aggressive with my mufflers and I think I can feel a slight increase in power. I hope to be able to get a video up soon.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

ur top end will shine
Old 01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
B A N N E D

ur top end will shine
noticed that too with my high flow cat, really only helped the top end , but i knew from the start that was where it was really going to shine
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
yea but it would still shine with the high flow cat comparison to the OEM.... no?

I really wanna change my cat... for sound and for top end.

anyone agree it's worth buying it new?

shit I hate the gaskets they use tho... like DAMN
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Soon as I sell my set of rims I will be picking up a set of headers. I am getting ready to buy a full set of pulleys and a TB spacer. Any of you experts know what kind of power I can be expecting with these add ons plus the ones in my sig?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

headers are like 20HP minimum! tb spacer isn't physically noticable but it drops intake temps and does make a difference regardless of what u feel (make sure u get the thermal gaskets or else it's not that good) i'd recommend you get the intake manifold gasket also. and do the headers THEN so u can easily access the bolts.
;-). pulleys... GET the option UR pulley... save 200 and use that towards ur headers.

anyone who gets any other pulley(s) is a fool .... NO OFFENCE.

unless u like donating ur money to a friggin name.

HP from pulley, headers and tb spacer intake manifold gasket will be 30ish give or take 5
Old 01-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

headers are like 20HP minimum! tb spacer isn't physically noticable but it drops intake temps and does make a difference regardless of what u feel (make sure u get the thermal gaskets or else it's not that good) i'd recommend you get the intake manifold gasket also. and do the headers THEN so u can easily access the bolts.
;-). pulleys... GET the option UR pulley... save 200 and use that towards ur headers.

anyone who gets any other pulley(s) is a fool .... NO OFFENCE.

unless u like donating ur money to a friggin name.

HP from pulley, headers and tb spacer intake manifold gasket will be 30ish give or take 5
I have the P2R intake gasket sitting on my desk awaiting install. My friend has a full set of UR pulleys that he's selling me for $50. So all I really need is the TB spacer (pending sale) and the gasket for the TB. Yay HP!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

which headers do u got?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

which headers do u got?
I haven't purchased any yet. I'm waiting on the guy to come buy my rims then I will pick up a set. I was thinking of getting a set of Megan race headers with one flex pipe. My friend (the one I'm buying the pulleys from) had them on his TL without a problem. Also, since I am getting a full set of pulleys (3 total) will I need any kind of new belts or will my old ones be fine?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

what kind of crank pulley? underdrive or stock size lightweight pulley?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

what kind of crank pulley? underdrive or stock size lightweight pulley?
I'm not 100% positive. I know they are lightweight aluminum pulleys, but I'm not sure of the size. I'm going to try and pick them up today, then I'll measure them and post pics.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

it all depends.... if it's a pulley SET. it's been designed for a certain size belt so it should say with their instructions.... or just call the manufacturer and or look it up. I'm sure that's an easy find
Old 01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Lone Wolf

Can anyone explain more on the gaskets needed/ removing heatshield and welding it to the testpipe/high flow cat. Is welding the heatshield all u need to do or is there more to it?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Can anyone explain more on the gaskets needed/ removing heatshield and welding it to the testpipe/high flow cat. Is welding the heatshield all u need to do or is there more to it?
what heatshied , basically all you have to do is unbolt the factory cat, and bolt on the high flow cat/testpipe (if premade)

and maybe unhook the rear o2's wiring from the body depending on if you need extra length or not

and gaskets you need a new front one and a rear one (each end of the cat)
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding the heatshield to the high flow cat, now that's a new one I haven't heard before. What kind of gains do you expect to see
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

lol..

wait

are high flow cats illegal in the US?

so are they illegal in canada then too. (ontario more importantly)
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM
B A N N E D

lol..

wait

are high flow cats illegal in the US?

so are they illegal in canada then too. (ontario more importantly)
nope, the manufactures just have to say that it is for off-road/racing purposes, and not to be used on the street

in california, you might have more issues due to it proably not being CARB approved, but basically the other 49 states, all long as the ecu is happy, and they see a cat there, they will be happy (some might not be happy about not seeing a factory cat there, so you just keep your factory cat just in case then)(the inspecters for my state are complete idiots, so you just have to make it stock appering really, they only use a mirror to make sure it is still there)
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by 99CLstag
Welding the heatshield to the high flow cat, now that's a new one I haven't heard before. What kind of gains do you expect to see
hmm any reason i only see you comment on my posts? Is ur name chris by chance heh. And about the heatshield i just retyped what someone else posted.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm any reason i only see you comment on my posts? Is ur name chris by chance heh. And about the heatshield i just retyped what someone else posted.
My name is Tom and I've been here since 2004 mister Brian. Have we met before?

I responded to your posts because every comment you make on here makes no sense and has little to no value. I was just pointing out the fact that what you said was funny. You were asking for instructions on how to weld a heatshield to a high flow cat.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
B A N N E D

My name is Tom and I've been here since 2004 mister Brian. Have we met before?

I responded to your posts because every comment you make on here makes no sense and has little to no value. I was just pointing out the fact that what you said was funny. You were asking for instructions on how to weld a heatshield to a high flow cat.
, and so true
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Lone Wolf

i was just referring to this post and what it meant, but please spend all ur time trying to bash me, that will really help you in life. Some ppl on this forum are really petty guess thats why they are on here cause u cant talk shit in real life.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i was just referring to this post and what it meant, but please spend all ur time trying to bash me, that will really help you in life. Some ppl on this forum are really petty guess thats why they are on here cause u cant talk shit in real life.

in some states they look under to car to see if u have a cat. if they dont see a cat and just a straight pipe. u failed the test.
so u unbolt the heat shield from the cat and then weld it onto the test pipe so it looks like thier is a cat still thier.

u wont get any gains but u will pass inspections.

99clstag- dont bash on ppl when their trying to learn.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

yea making enemies never helped anyone.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

I got the pulleys last night. I will be starting a thread soon.

Oh, one more question. I got the spark plug de-fouler, but the O2 sensor wouldn't fit properly in it so the shop took it out. I now have a CEL on. Anyone know how to get rid of it?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CL-Slick
I got the pulleys last night. I will be starting a thread soon.

Oh, one more question. I got the spark plug de-fouler, but the O2 sensor wouldn't fit properly in it so the shop took it out. I now have a CEL on. Anyone know how to get rid of it?
like too tall and hitting the body??? , or were the threads different

if too tall, you can get right angles ones so the o2 does not hit the body (twice the $ though as the straight ones)

a far as the CEL, you could solder a resister into the signal, to take the peaks off the signal and lower the signal's voltage signal
but i do not really like the resister method, it does not seem to work as well as the o2 spacer method
Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

u need 2 of the defoulers.

the one that goes onto the o2 sensor needs to be drilled so that the o2 sensor doesnt hit it. make sense? the second one that goes on the 1st defouler and screws into the test pipe does not have to be drilled.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

u need 2 of the defoulers.

the one that goes onto the o2 sensor needs to be drilled so that the o2 sensor doesnt hit it. make sense? the second one that goes on the 1st defouler and screws into the test pipe does not have to be drilled.
I have two, and could probably do this myself. Where does the first one need to be drilled?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Originally Posted by friesm2000
like too tall and hitting the body??? , or were the threads different

if too tall, you can get right angles ones so the o2 does not hit the body (twice the $ though as the straight ones)

a far as the CEL, you could solder a resister into the signal, to take the peaks off the signal and lower the signal's voltage signal
but i do not really like the resister method, it does not seem to work as well as the o2 spacer method
Not really sure. The guy installing it said the O2 sensor was "bottoming out" so it wouldn't fit. Thanks for all of the help on this everyone!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:32 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

it needs to be the size of the o2 sensor. just the tip of th sensor. so about 1/2" hole right down the middle.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

so hard trying to get someone who doesn't know EXACTLY what they're doing who is working on ur car... to understand everything so that it goes according to plan.

I hate when people create a problem with my car... lol

so i do everything I can fathom on my own. and honestly it's way better just DIY... or piece of mind, money and for the learning experience
Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

it needs to be the size of the o2 sensor. just the tip of th sensor. so about 1/2" hole right down the middle.
Thanks for the info. Time to get the drill out!

so hard trying to get someone who doesn't know EXACTLY what they're doing who is working on ur car... to understand everything so that it goes according to plan.

I hate when people create a problem with my car... lol

so i do everything I can fathom on my own. and honestly it's way better just DIY... or piece of mind, money and for the learning experience
Tell me about it. I'm glad nothing serious has messed up on my car because there are few places around here that know anything about them. Last week my brother and I did some work on his SHO because no one around here knew how to work on them.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Also, once I get the de-foulers instlled, don't I need to pull the clock fuse to reset the ECU?

Quick Reply: Installed Testpipe