Installed Sub Amp today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 01:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Sub Amp today!

Picked up my new CL-S last Wednesday(finally) & it is RED(spoiler ordered). Today (sat) I installed a Sony amp for a subwoofer. I used the wires coming from the head unit - no speaker level adapter needed!
I'll get some pics out later.
Old 02-11-2001, 03:26 AM
Pro

What? So you totally bypassed the Bose Amp?

Please give me detailed info. Thanks!

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-11-2001, 05:01 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FDao:
What? So you totally bypassed the Bose Amp?

Please give me detailed info. Thanks!

</font>

Thats what I have been screaming. With the helm manual you can set it up perfect.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 02-11-2001, 08:49 AM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What? So you totally bypassed the Bose Amp?</font>
Yeah Man, I used the schematic that WEBTOKER linked to one of his posts & it was easy( Thanks WEBTOKER!). I tapped into the output wires of the head unit near the amp plug-in connector in the trunk. No line output adapter needed. I had to cut the connectors off of one end of an audio cable pair & solder them to the correct wires. I tapped the amp "turn on" lead from the Bose amp for my subwoofer amp. I ran a fused, heavy guage power lead thru the car on the driver's side. Then just plug it all in & tweak it!

Old 02-11-2001, 03:38 PM
Advanced

You just cut the wires and soldered them onto a set of RCA plugs? Is the output from the head unit high enough that you don't have to jack the gains up on the amps? Also did you have to cut the outputs from the factory Bose amp and splice in or did you run new wire to the speakers?

------------------
'01 Acura CL Type S nothing special yet but give me a month or so.
Old 02-11-2001, 03:51 PM
Pro

Damn WebToker!

Where was I when you mentioned this...@#%$*, Now I gotta go do a search on the Forum.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-11-2001, 05:17 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Henry:
You just cut the wires and soldered them onto a set of RCA plugs? Is the output from the head unit high enough that you don't have to jack the gains up on the amps? Also did you have to cut the outputs from the factory Bose amp and splice in or did you run new wire to the speakers?

</font>
Nonon. I think the amp he has has Hi-gain inputs which are designed to take the signal from the head unit's speaker wires..

Am I right?

------------------
Old 02-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Advanced

The amp I used did not accept speaker level inputs. I spliced into the wires coming FROM the head unit TO the factory amp. I DID NOT cut those wires, just tapped into them. All I needed was a source for the subwoofer amp. The factory amp is still(for the time being), powering all the stock speakers. I didn't touch any of the wires coming from the factory amp to the speakers. The Sony amp that I installed powers a subwoofer ONLY & the gain controls are about the same as when I had it hooked to a Pioneer head unit at the low level outputs(RCA Plugs). Big improvement, but still a ways to go. Acura has a lot of nerve putting speakers this crappy in such a great car!!
Old 02-11-2001, 10:33 PM
Racer

So this means that the signal between the Bose head unit and Bose amp are line level pre-out's? Meaning, I could splice into the line (like you did) and connect some RCA plugs on to it and plug it directly into my amp?

------------------
Old 02-11-2001, 11:58 PM
Instructor

So, what you did was:

stock
radio=======bose amp in trunk====speakers
........\
.........\sony amp==subwoofer
power------/
(ignore the .... as I needed them because the spaces kept getting messed up)

And you made all the connections in the trunk.

So, does the stock radio have enough power to drive the bose amp and sony amp???
And I guess you can't adjust the sony amp on the fly from the dash (would you have to?).

Sounds like a good idea, I really want to get more bass, and was contemplating just bringing the car to a place to get it done right (and so it works).
I did install my 6 disk changer myself in my old teg. Was easy though, just rip out the fron passenger seat & back seat, run wire, drill holes in trunk deck, mount and plug-in.

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am

[This message has been edited by Athena_CL_TypeS (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Yes, all connections were made in the trunk, except for the main power lead to the Sony amp. I ran a fused, heavy guage wire from battery to trunk. Athena, your schematic is correct.

JAYRU, Yes, you could completly eliminate the Bose amp. I plan on adding another amp to drive new rear speakers & will leave the Bose amp driving just the door speakers.

As to the Bose head unit having enough power to drive the Sony amp & the Bose amp -- no problem. Low level inputs into amps draw very little current & the volts remain constant in that type of connection.

And YES, it sounds great!

[This message has been edited by WV250R (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Ok, now I am getting excited, and technical:

From the bose amp plug, I assume you tapped into just the rear speaker amp inputs for the sony amp.

So:
1) yellow/white (5) is the radio switch that you used for the sony amp power on switch.

2) then you tapped the rear right speaker:
black (7)(-) & blue (20) (+)

3) and the rear left speaker:
green (9)(-) & red (22) (+)

And no problems on the volume control with the stock radio. I also take it you can control the amount of bass from the radio's standard bass level setting.
Was there a setting on the amp also?

And, what was the model number for the amp and speakers?

thanks!!

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

Old 02-12-2001, 12:42 AM
Instructor

I had my sub installed professionally at a local shop. They did exatly what you did I believe!
I was going to do it myself, but I had the money and decided to have them do it, I didnt want to screw anything up!

Just wanted to ask, where is the factory Bose amp located? Also, is it just one amp running both front and rear stock speakers or is there a seperate amp for the fronts?

Thanks, Matt

------------------
2001 CL-P Emerald/Parchment
Old 02-12-2001, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Yes ATHENA, you are correct on the wires that I tapped. I used a Sony XM502 amp in the 'bridged' mode. I like it because you can control gain, low-pass filter frequency, and it also has a 10 or 12(I forget which)db bass boost(adjustable on both channels). Yes, adjusting the bass on the head unit will somewhat control the subwoofer, but it's pretty easy to tweak to where you never have to mess with it. I used a Bazooka bass tube, but you could use a box if you wanted. Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by WV250R (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Forgot to add. The shop added a seperate subwoofer volume control which is mounted beside the steering wheel. This allows me to control the amount of bass comming from the sub only. This way I can set the bass level for the stock system so that I can turn up the volume without getting the distortion from having the bass to high. Using the subwoofer volume control to adjust the bass, my system sounds great!

Sorry for the repeat posts!

Matt

------------------
Old 02-12-2001, 12:48 AM
Advanced

MATT, Just one amp driving all the speakers and it is located behind the trunk liner, just in front of the jack.
Old 02-12-2001, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Thank you. Do you think the system could be improved by changing the factory amp?

I heard that the stock speakers are like 1 ohm. If this is true there are very few aftermarket amps that are stable into 1 ohm, especially in stereo. Have you heard if this is true about the factory speakers?

------------------
Old 02-12-2001, 12:55 AM
Instructor

I was just going to ask where was the bose amp!

So, just start pulling up the carpet on the jack side. I take it its mounted on the back of the wheel well.

Do you feel the need to have a separate volume control on the amp? Or were you able to get a setting that was good for all volume levels (or something that adjusting the radio bass would also work)?

------------------

Old 02-12-2001, 01:13 AM
Team Owner

For all you adventurous types, here is a link to the Schematics I scanned from the HELM manual.
CLS AUDIO Schematics

I plan on doing some more mods to my audio system this summer.
I bought an Alpine ERA-G320 Digital EQ/Audio Processor a few months ago and I plan to use it to better control the BASS crossover points.

I’m guessing this thread will be moved to the new “Audio” section shortly.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-12-2001, 11:51 PM
Advanced

OOPS, I credited WEBTOKER with posting the radio & amp schematics from the HELM manual, when in fact it was SHAWN S. Thanks SHAWN S. I did order my own Helm manual!