IMPORTANT S/C question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the EMS does what it's supposed to. The problem I see with the stock kit is the abnormally high fuel pressure being delivered to the stock fuel injectors thru a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. This type of engine management system is comonly known as a hack, and is cheaper, and less realiable. You are basically jamming the living fvck out of the fuel injectors to get enough fuel to keep the engine from going boom.

Tuning is your friend, and E-Manage allows you to do so, the stock CT kit does not.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:04 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

Originally Posted by ModAddict
No, the EMS does what it's supposed to. The problem I see with the stock kit is the abnormally high fuel pressure being delivered to the stock fuel injectors thru a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. This type of engine management system is comonly known as a hack, and is cheaper, and less realiable. You are basically jamming the living fvck out of the fuel injectors to get enough fuel to keep the engine from going boom.

Tuning is your friend, and E-Manage allows you to do so, the stock CT kit does not.
OK... now you got me worried about his stock ESM system.... So how much is this E-manegement??? is how would I go about getting one??? How would it be intsalled? at the same time as if it where the ESM???? Thanks a lot-
Old 08-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I assume the kit in question is used and therefore has no warranty anyways. DO NOT waste your time with the stock boost pulley. Do it right the first time or you'll be doing it twice!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by italiaCLs
OK... now you got me worried about his stock ESM system.... So how much is this E-manegement??? is how would I go about getting one??? How would it be intsalled? at the same time as if it where the ESM???? Thanks a lot-
Do not fear the CT EMS. It's just a voltage block, and works as such. It has nothing to do with the rising rate fuel pressure regulator and jamming the injectors.

The object of the E-Man is to lower the fuel pressure to the injectors, while tuning the fuel delivery from the injectors. The E-Man can also block the voltage like the CT EMS does, so you will not have to buy the EMS if you get the E-Man.

Contact Hope Systems Inc. for $$ info on E-Manage packeges available with tuning.

Scalbert,... Chime in here anytime
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://www.hopesystemsinc.com/index.asp
Old 08-16-2004, 08:32 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

WOW.. 800 bucks for the E-manegement. All just worry about it later. for now ill just get the stock ESM from comptech.. im sure ill be fine.
Thanks for all your help though. now all I have to do is get this supercharger from thin jim..... ive sent him back about 3 PM's and he hasnt responded... I hope he gets back to me soon..
Old 08-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless your gonna up your boost past the 5.5 psi the HBP will give you, i'd save your money and skip on the E-manage.

Plus if you do decide to go with 9 psi of boost with the intercooler, which then requires the Emanage, you'll really need to consider upgrading your 5A transmission.

Thats a lot of dough for someone who's only looking to spend $4k+
Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

I honestly believe the addition of the high boost pulley will push the injectors to a dangerous level, and one reason why CT stopped where they did. The kit is fine out of the box, but because of the nature of the rising rate fuel pressure regulator and the high flow fuel pump supplied with the kit, upping the boost will push the fuel pressure right to the edge.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^ yet CT makes the HBP... despite the potential fuel pressure problems?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

They've also been saying they've been working on a piggy-back engine management system to go along with the HBP,.... because of the potential fuel pressure problems!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

wow.... I dont like the sound of that.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They've also been saying they've been working on a piggy-back engine management system to go along with the HBP,.... because of the potential fuel pressure problems!

Check with scalbert, HBP for the alternator only is not a problem, you run into problems if you also change the blower pulley to acheive 8-9 lbs of boost. then ic is needed. jeeese
Old 08-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

italiaCLs, I'm not trying to scare you, or saying you'll have problems. I put 20K miles on my TLS with the HBP, w/o E-Manage, w/o problems, and most others are also doing fine so far. All I'm saying is if you want to do it right from the start, go with the E-Manage, and then add the IC kit as soon as you can.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:38 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

italiaCLs, I'm not trying to scare you, or saying you'll have problems. I put 20K miles on my TLS with the HBP, w/o E-Manage, w/o problems, and most others are also doing fine so far. All I'm saying is if you want to do it right from the start, go with the E-Manage, and then add the IC kit as soon as you can.

Ok... im just going to stick with getting the supercharger and H/B pulley and all of the cooling stuff. also teh gauges etc.....
Old 08-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you don't get the fuel pump and smaller battery with the kit, you will need that also. About the gauges, you should at least keep an eye on the fuel pressure. Headers will breath extra life into the blower also. That should take care of the rest of your $$$$
Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

cool. im planning on getting gauges for boost and fuel pressure.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

The HBP can be run without the E-manage but it does do as well. The problem is the very high pressure which gets run. You end up very rich down low with a spike to the lean side with the switch to the hot cam lobe. It gets a little richer shortly there after but starts leaning out some more on the way to redline.

Point being, it is far from a flat A/F ratio which is not ideal for power.

However, if you plan on running just the HBP and stopping there, you should be fine. If you plan on taking it further down the road and have the extra cash on had, make the move now as you will be better off.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I forgot, what is your commission rate Brad.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 08-17-2004, 09:31 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he just misses his s/c too much, lol
Old 08-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by scalbert
The HBP can be run without the E-manage but it does do as well. The problem is the very high pressure which gets run. You end up very rich down low with a spike to the lean side with the switch to the hot cam lobe. It gets a little richer shortly there after but starts leaning out some more on the way to redline.

Point being, it is far from a flat A/F ratio which is not ideal for power.

However, if you plan on running just the HBP and stopping there, you should be fine. If you plan on taking it further down the road and have the extra cash on had, make the move now as you will be better off.

Do you think you could net any significant gains by adding the eManage to the HBP or just a safer A/F ratio?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
Do you think you could net any significant gains by adding the eManage to the HBP or just a safer A/F ratio?
I don't know about peak power as you can tune the FPR to give a pretty good A/F ratio at your peak power point. But you could certainly help the lower end of the rev band picking up some power there.

I wouldn't be suprised if you could get a little power up top still with some tuning though.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
How is the HBP working for you ? Any probs or pinging with the 92 ?? Just wondering, i'm waiting for my HBP to arrive and i'll be running 94-95 octane on a regular basis
Old 08-19-2004, 05:24 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

Originally Posted by Red Rider
How is the HBP working for you ? Any probs or pinging with the 92 ?? Just wondering, i'm waiting for my HBP to arrive and i'll be running 94-95 octane on a regular basis
im guessing and hoping you are not planning to put in racing fuel everytime you fill up to raise the octane. that would cost an extra 10 bucks per tank minimum! im in cali too, so id like to here any worthwhile idea you may have, though i have thought through all of them and cant find a cost efficient one!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally Posted by power3dfx
im guessing and hoping you are not planning to put in racing fuel everytime you fill up to raise the octane. that would cost an extra 10 bucks per tank minimum! im in cali too, so id like to here any worthwhile idea you may have, though i have thought through all of them and cant find a cost efficient one!
The only way to raise the octane is to mix, once the HBP is on, i will fill it 60-40 and average 94-95. I ran it for the last 2 weeks and could feel the difference after a couple of days.

It's not cheap, but neither was the SC, and to get the most out of it will cost. The mix will bring the gallon average to about $3.50 per.