Importance of the OBD-II Code Reader!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Importance of the OBD-II Code Reader!!

Well... here's what happened:

I started doing all the electrical and fuel-mods for the turbo kit. I installed the Walbro in-tank pump (although noticing that the main supply-line and return lines are made of this plastic-looking stuff and are held in place by 'clip-on' fasteners!!!!!) and the
Vortech FMU (12:1). Other mods were the Synapse MAP boost-cutoff and re-routing the crankcase vent hoses and other misc. stuff that plugs into the intake-pipe.

So... I start the car and drive it around... BAM, check-engine light. I couldn't believe it for the life of me. Then things get worse. The car bogs every now and then... halts... no surges... and my fuel-economy is in the shits. Power above 5K rpms is fantastic and feels faster than ever... but driveability was awful. So... baffled by this, I put the stock pump back on... remove the FMU and the MAP boost-cutoff. Same problem!! Now, I am pissed... I have never had problems with the OBD-I or OBD-II systems in my previous cars with similar mods. Luckily I had ordered the OBD-II hand-held reader earlier this week because I knew I would have to debug a few things once the turbo is installed... never figured I'd need it before! Plug it in and voila... vapor pressure (or fuel vapor was leaking). Usually this is associated with not tightening the fuel-cap. It turned out to be the fuel-pump assembly. I had forgotten to torque the damn thing (36 ft-lbs).... had only hand-tightened it. Boy these cars are sensitive and I could not believe how much driveability was affected!!

I have a feeling my plugs are fouled from running too rich... might get some colder NGK's.

By the way, this is the reader I got. $124 - $10 discount... so its $114 + shipping:

http://www.iequus.com/3100.asp?catshort=3100
Old 12-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Importance of the OBD-II Code Reader!!

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Well... here's what happened:

I started doing all the electrical and fuel-mods for the turbo kit. I installed the Walbro in-tank pump (although noticing that the main supply-line and return lines are made of this plastic-looking stuff and are held in place by 'clip-on' fasteners!!!!!) and the
Vortech FMU (12:1). Other mods were the Synapse MAP boost-cutoff and re-routing the crankcase vent hoses and other misc. stuff that plugs into the intake-pipe.

So... I start the car and drive it around... BAM, check-engine light. I couldn't believe it for the life of me. Then things get worse. The car bogs every now and then... halts... no surges... and my fuel-economy is in the shits. Power above 5K rpms is fantastic and feels faster than ever... but driveability was awful. So... baffled by this, I put the stock pump back on... remove the FMU and the MAP boost-cutoff. Same problem!! Now, I am pissed... I have never had problems with the OBD-I or OBD-II systems in my previous cars with similar mods. Luckily I had ordered the OBD-II hand-held reader earlier this week because I knew I would have to debug a few things once the turbo is installed... never figured I'd need it before! Plug it in and voila... vapor pressure (or fuel vapor was leaking). Usually this is associated with not tightening the fuel-cap. It turned out to be the fuel-pump assembly. I had forgotten to torque the damn thing (36 ft-lbs).... had only hand-tightened it. Boy these cars are sensitive and I could not believe how much driveability was affected!!

I have a feeling my plugs are fouled from running too rich... might get some colder NGK's.

By the way, this is the reader I got. $124 - $10 discount... so its $114 + shipping:

http://www.iequus.com/3100.asp?catshort=3100
They are handy as shit. You might want to consider 1-2 heat ranges colder once the turbo is up and running.

A little FYI: Many turbo/supercharger guys run pure copper plugs because of the platinum splatter from the extra heat in the combustion chamber. They claim the splatter leads to cylinder wall scoring. I did notice splatter on the plugs pulled from my supercharged 1/2 ton. But, Ford recommends platinum plugs in their supercharged F150 Lightning, so who knows. My Chevy uses the same plugs, so I bought platinum anyways.....
Old 12-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
so, how is it running now?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap...

It is running really well, but the damn light came on again. I have to plug in the reader after work today and check it out. This is getting to be annoying... this car is very sensitive. I do wonder, however, if its the gasoline mixture. Another friend with a STOCK accord just had his light turn on... not to mention many folks in
this board.

Plugs: I'll probably stick to copper plugs... I am really not a fan of pt plugs.