I'm tired of the torque steer. No more FWD for me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 01:16 AM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm tired of the torque steer. No more FWD for me...

WTF? My car breaks loose on all deep throttle launches now regardless of the road conditions. I could be on the newest, smoothest, most level road in the world and I'd STILL be fighting the steering. I know this is EXACTLY what the RWD proponents want to hear and ridicule us about, but DAMNIT, it's there!

Anybody else notice this as much as I do? Do springs do anything to aleviate the torque steer and hop? I've got 16 months left on the lease and I'm not interested in pouring cash in only to have to spend the same money to take the sh*t off at turn-in time.

------------------
2001 CL-S "The Original Pimp Daddy Gold™"
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 01-09-2001, 01:28 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
WTF? My car breaks loose on all deep throttle launches now regardless of the road conditions. I could be on the newest, smoothest, most level road in the world and I'd STILL be fighting the steering. I know this is EXACTLY what the RWD proponents want to hear and ridicule us about, but DAMNIT, it's there!

Anybody else notice this as much as I do? Do springs do anything to aleviate the torque steer and hop? I've got 16 months left on the lease and I'm not interested in pouring cash in only to have to spend the same money to take the sh*t off at turn-in time.

</font>
hold your steering wheel like macho man .. Don't get scared from the small torque steer, it just make the CL-S more fun.

I love it!

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:29 AM
Team Owner

Having always driven powerful front wheel drive cars for the past 15-years or so, I think this car is one of the most “behaved” FWD cars I have ever owned.

My 88 Daytona Shelby-Z used to damn near rip the wheel out of my hands under hard acceleration.
My 87 Omni GLH-S was like a bucking bronco with 175HP in a 2200 lb car.

Hang on BABY WAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-09-2001, 01:38 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
hold your steering wheel like macho man .. Don't get scared from the small torque steer, it just make the CL-S more fun.

I love it!

</font>
Oh, I'm not afraid of it by any means, just tired of it. I want to drift, break the back-end loose. I want a Boxster S. I'm a f*cking cry baby.

Old 01-09-2001, 01:51 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
Having always driven powerful front wheel drive cars for the past 15-years or so, I think this car is one of the most “behaved” FWD cars I have ever owned.

My 88 Daytona Shelby-Z used to damn near rip the wheel out of my hands under hard acceleration.

Shawn S

</font>
Ya I would also have to say this car is probably the best behaved FWD car I have driven. When I got my springs on it helped with that alot.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-09-2001, 02:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
hey droid i know you meant comptech SC S2000 not boxter right? PS can you get me in the acura press room the old link expired???

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeR
Sundance Platinum
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
Old 01-09-2001, 02:28 AM
Number 37

My friend has the new eclipse. It's only 200hp and torqe steer is kinda bad on that car.

------------------
Please rear end me in my Accord, so I have to buy a Type-s
Old 01-09-2001, 02:36 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nootch:
My friend has the new eclipse. It's only 200hp and torqe steer is kinda bad on that car.

</font>
A whole lot of things are kinda bad on that car.

It looks nice, though.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:37 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:

Shawn S

</font>
Hey Shawn, I remember you when I was younger. You were the guy who taught me that if you don't plan to buy the best car in the class/type, don't buy it.

I had an 85 Omni (regular) that my parents bought me and realized that the GLH made my Omni look pretty sad. So I got rid of paid-for brand new car and bought my first car, a 86 Daytona regular. I didn't even know the Turbo Z was an option tell I saw a friend's, then I realized "this is silly. I got ripped!"

Needless to say some 15 years later, I still won't even look at the CL-P for that very reason. It was CL-S, or something else.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-09-2001, 02:54 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 641 Likes on 283 Posts
Oh, I'm not afraid of it by any means, just tired of it. I want to drift, break the back-end loose. I want a Boxster S. I'm a f*cking cry baby.

</font>

A BOXSTER S? I thought you wanted a 996 what happened?

although I suppose the stats are pretty hot on the Boxster

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura Cl Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 01-09-2001, 03:00 AM
Intermediate

I know what you're feeling. I was feeling the same way before I got my springs. Now, however, the torque steer effect is greatly reduced. It'd be even less noticable with sways though. Also, I think the stock tires my have an affect on this as well.

Besides, I can't let you leave the brotherhood of PDG!!! You take some awesome pictures and have a sweeeet website!!! When I get my wheels installed tomorrow I'll take some pics and maybe you can add them to your collection.

------------------
'01 Pimp Daddy Gold CL-S - Comptech Springs
Coming Soon: new 17" wheels/tires (can't decide which yet), maybe Comptech Sways
My PimpinTypeS More pics of my PDG
Old 01-09-2001, 04:34 AM
Suzuka Master

The larger/sticker tires do help --(235/45ZR17-W93 Toyo T1S proxies on stock wheels.

The torque steer is never a problem. Heck, my 92 Maxima SE AUTO had more torque steer and that had only 190 hp. The double wishbones, and other design features make this better then most fwds.

Try some tires, or get the springs.
Old 01-09-2001, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

WOW!!!! I have to admit... this is one topic I never, ever thought I'd read on this site!! I've experienced very very slight torque steer in this car maybe three times. It happens when I floor it out of a sweeping left hand turn in an intersection and it is simply just a tiny twitch of the steering wheel. It makes me wonder why FWD is so much maligned by a lot of people. I know this kind of thing doesn't happen in RWD cars, but it is so ridiculously minor that I forget about it 3 seconds later

Weird....

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Well, make sure you know how to drive a rear wheel drive car first before you make the change. I was used to a high horsepower FWD car (Cadillac STS) and the torque steer used to bother me a little bit, but not much. And that car is NO where near as refined as the CL. Now I drive a RWD GS400, and granted the torque steer is gone, put give it some juice on a road that's wet or gas even a little gravel and the rear just steps to the side. I've had it for 4 months now, and I am only now just getting 'slightly' used to it. I drove the CL and loved it, and as far as I am concerned as the very little torque steer for how much power it is getting.
Old 01-09-2001, 11:10 AM
Advanced

imagine we have stick shift in our cars. What would happened then with torque steer? You will get more power to the wheel.

------------------
Satin Silver Acura CL Type S, Carbon Fiber Kit
Old 01-09-2001, 11:38 AM
Instructor

FWD = torque steer, even if only a little bit. Nature of the beast, even Honda can't re-engineer the laws of physics. Droideka, please note new car I've got ordered. 385 bhp, RWD, 6 speed stick! ( Z06)

------------------
I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.....
Old 01-09-2001, 12:37 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by theanimala:
Well, make sure you know how to drive a rear wheel drive car first before you make the change.</font>
Oh, I do, I do. This is my first car in over ten years. Before that, it was all trucks. RWD, no weight in the back. Talk about stepping it out...

Old 01-09-2001, 12:45 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Astroboy:
A BOXSTER S? I thought you wanted a 996 what happened?

although I suppose the stats are pretty hot on the Boxster
</font>
I *could* actually talk my wife into the Boxster. In all honesty, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. I want a new car every six months because there's just SO MUCH going on out there in the industry.

Like I said, I'm a f*cking cry baby.

Old 01-09-2001, 09:29 PM
Banned

</font>
I know exactly how you feel. That's why I have 2 cars.

------------------
2 cars
Old 01-09-2001, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

RWD -- slam on the brakes, hit the juice, and counter steer. Lots of fun, makes for Fangio-esque 4 wheel slides. Oh, well, to be rich and have fun like Jay Leno. Cobra anyone?
Old 01-09-2001, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

droideka

Something needs checking out maybe in your car?
Serious torque bucking in this car hasn't been a problem by me before and especially after spirngs and sways. (If you really want to experience pure 3 lateral lane acceleration try a Lancia coupe, that is if you can still find any with working front springs).

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-09-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by theanimala:
[B]Now I drive a RWD GS400, and granted the torque steer is gone, put give it some juice on a road that's wet or gas even a little gravel and the rear just steps to the side. I've had it for 4 months now, and I am only now just getting 'slightly' used to it.[B]</font>
droideka: the flip side of the FWD torque steer coin is that RWD deep throttle start = doughnut. Just last night I pulled a neat little near-180 out of wet parking lot. It's certainly cool if that's what you wanted (and that was what I wanted), but if I'm harried and distracted, I'll leave the TRAC on, thank you very much. Otherwise, the option to step out a bit is a very desireable one that will forever affect my future-vehicle-buying decisions.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 11:15 PM
Instructor

My last car was a 96 Max SE 5spd---torque steer was FAR worse on that one. havent even noticed the effect on Type S, even with 70 more horsepower
Old 01-09-2001, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayhawk1:
My last car was a 96 Max SE 5spd---torque steer was FAR worse on that one. havent even noticed the effect on Type S, even with 70 more horsepower</font>
Me too... My old 92 Maxima SE with AUTOMATIC had much more torque steer than my CL-S.