I'm a dumb@$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I'm a dumb@$$

i have an srs indicator light on my dash lit up and also a check engine light.
this is how it all went down....
a friend of mine had a pioneer headunit that he was going to put in his is300for his sub but the green button colors didnt match the red climate control nobs and buttons so he didnt put it in. i got a pioneer headunit for FREE!!! the colors are pretty similar to my dash plus im not that anal long as it looks good i dont care. spent 40 bucks for a wire harness and a mounting kit. he had the aux rca input for a 3.5mm stero jack so i can use my iphone.

well i got it in with no problem except his wiring harness for the headunit was missing the blue wire that sends a signal to the amp to turn it on. this wasnt a problem for my sub bc i had it wired up without a headunit before so it was getting a signal elsewhere. so i didnt connect it and wasnt getting any sound until i realized i have a factory amp and the blue was needed for that. so i wired it to the red so it only turns the amp on when the ignition is on. next i ran an rca caple from the headunit to the amp but the one i had was short so i had to run it up the middle but the console and dash was already apart so it wasnt a big deal. to make running the wire easier i took the drivers seat out. once i had it out i forgot you cant turn the car on without it bc it has an airbag in it but i did. so now there is an srs light on and i talked to acura and they said its one hour of labor. price acura was $105 and castle acura was $125.. does this price sound right to reset this?
also im not sure why my check engine light is on if anyone has an ideas. my dad seems to think its bc it was sitting at his shop for 5 months he said possible an o2 sensor or something. let me know what you think...:thumbsdow
Old 08-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Can you just pull the negative battery cable off and just reset everything?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

tried it with no luck...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
to reset the SRS light...as for the check engine light it is the neg battery cable or off to the dealer.

Here are the instructions for resetting the SRS light.

1. there is a Yellow 2 Pin connector with 2 greens wires in it.
2. It is under dash left of steering wheel as the driver sits.
3. smaller yellow block is the right one and is located one inch above another bigger yellow wire block which has a spring loaded connector.

Unplug the connector then Bend the paper clip to a U-shape and stick the paperclip in the 2 holes..
turn the car on, wait for the SRS light to go off, yank the paperclip out.
It'll light up again, shove the paperclip back in...
then it'll turn off. Yank it out. It'll then blink twice to tell you it's reset.

Don't worry about the timings...just do it as soon as you see the light change (and do it quick).

I cut a thin paperclip to about 2cm long, then bent it with needle nosed pliars so it looked like a staple. Then I just used the needle nosed pliars to push it in and out of the plug. Just be careful to shove it into the right side of the plug...the one side of the hole doesn't contact the metal.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

distorted thanks big time man, i appreciate the help it took me quite a few tries to get the timing down. i wasnt doing it fast enough, but in the end i got it.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by distortedolskool
to reset the SRS light...as for the check engine light it is the neg battery cable or off to the dealer.

Here are the instructions for resetting the SRS light.

1. there is a Yellow 2 Pin connector with 2 greens wires in it.
2. It is under dash left of steering wheel as the driver sits.
3. smaller yellow block is the right one and is located one inch above another bigger yellow wire block which has a spring loaded connector.

Unplug the connector then Bend the paper clip to a U-shape and stick the paperclip in the 2 holes..
turn the car on, wait for the SRS light to go off, yank the paperclip out.
It'll light up again, shove the paperclip back in...
then it'll turn off. Yank it out. It'll then blink twice to tell you it's reset.

Don't worry about the timings...just do it as soon as you see the light change (and do it quick).

I cut a thin paperclip to about 2cm long, then bent it with needle nosed pliars so it looked like a staple. Then I just used the needle nosed pliars to push it in and out of the plug. Just be careful to shove it into the right side of the plug...the one side of the hole doesn't contact the metal.

Damn, distorted, thats some McGuyver shit right there.. you the man
Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ya and you don't have an airbag.