Idle RPMS drop w/ AC on

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:12 AM
noodles tastes good.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle RPMS drop w/ AC on

When i'm idle, the rpms are usually 1 tick below 1000, so like 700-800, but when i turn on the AC and come to a stop, sometimes it drops REALLY low and i feel the car shudder like it's almost about to stall, but it doesn't. Is there something wrong with my car that i should let the dealer fix?

Also, how do you guys get the fan on without the a/c on? I push auto, adjust the fan speed, and vent direction, and then push the a/c to off, but the air feels cold like the a/c is on... i know that in my 2k1 civic when you put the mode to blow from windshield/foot, the ac turns on although the a/c light stays off.
If someone could tell me if the CLS turns the a/c on (without telling you) when in different blow modes that would be great, cuz you know premium gas isn't the cheapest around here.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep my a/c off all the time (i rarely use it). You can override the defroster too .. it will turn the a/c on when you press defrost .. but you can turn it off. Keep in mind, that if you press the 'auto' button, it may engage the a/c depending on temp settings and internal temps. Simply turning it 'off' will stop the compressor from cycling .. but cold air may still come out for a period of time.

If you think the compressor is running, you'd feel it engage while driving (even on the highway I can feel it kick-in) and it is easy enough to check .. turn the air temp way low ... let the car idle .. and listen for the 'click' of the magnetic clutch on the compressor.

In regards to the low idle, these cars are NOT known for their smooth idling .. in fact, I've seen yugos idle smoother than these things. My '02 CL-S quit on me a few times at idle - with the a/c off. The dealer just shrug their shoulders and give out their pre-programmed response "we couldn't reproduce it therefore you have no problem".
Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 PM
noodles tastes good.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what you're saying is if my car temp and outside temp is 40 celcius and i want to cool my car to 20 celcius even if i turn the a/c to 'off' the a/c might still turn on to cool it? And how do you bypass the defrost? just turn the AC to off?

thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Noodleboy:
I suggest you lay in a tub and READ the manual regarding the "AC" system. It should anwser some of your questions. Regarding the idle etc....you may have encountered some bad gas. I had a similar situation when I first bought my car and stopped using a particular gas station in my neighborhood. Resolved the issue, because if your dealership can't duplicate it, then it turns out to be a waste of your time. I would call them and see what they recommend......besides the obivious "bring the car in" ......