I will never buy the Z350!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will never buy the Z350!!

Ok guys, I went and spent 1hr at the Nissan dealer...
I was checking the new Z350.. In the show room there was a black track model

Here are my impression:

From Outside: Amazing... looks better than Audi TT and even a Porsche Box. S!

From Inside:

1) Interior dashboard feel... sub par, the buttons funky and kiddish...specially those for the trip computer... the dimmer on the left did not even work...The Navi Cavity door... what a joke... you have to pull it and close it... It was stuck and I was affraid to break it!
2) Funny thing there are 2 cup holder for the back seat in the rear console... wait a sec there is no back seats !
3) no glove box... but a cup holder for the passenger... what about the driver to keep him warm...
4) Visibility is BAD real BAD... you can see only a slot in the rear mirror... 50% of the mirror is blocked...side mirror are even worse..real tiny...
5) getting in and out is challanging as there is no memory seats and no-easy out feature as it's the case with Maxima... damn it I showed the sales rep (a hottie) that feature in the maxima but not in the Z350!!

No Doubt Mechanically.. the track model was astonishing...

however since there is no luxury in that model..

I checked the touring model with leather ... and had chance to drive it few meters in the parking lot... the clutch will disengage way high.... Why is so...?

I went to parts depertment to ask about the cost of parts of the nice Rays Engineering 18x8.5 wheels, Brembo Brakes, and Tires....

Hear this... A Single Rays Engineering 18x8.5 wheel is $1500 /each!!

I just run away and mumbling this is the wrong car for me... I did not even cared how much are Brambo brakes and rotors nor the tires...

Old 01-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to see the G35 Coupe.

I totally agree with you. I'm sure that it goes like s*&(, but the interior quality......

Why would you use aluminum colored plastic all over the dash and console? Use real aluminum, or use another color. Of course the plastic is thin.

The leather on the chairs were nice.

Visibility is bad, real bad, but I am on the short side. Much better visibility in a TT.

High clutch engagement is rather common, Honda always has low engagement, low effort clutches, but I think even Toyota clutches have high engagement.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Instructor

I disagree, the G35 is a nice car and I didn't find the interior to be sub par. I don't think the G35 interior was any less quality than my CL S interior.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by mmmm
I disagree, the G35 is a nice car and I didn't find the interior to be sub par. I don't think the G35 interior was any less quality than my CL S interior.
How long have you been having trouble with your eyesight?
I think its time to head to the doctor.

Shawn S

PS….
Old 01-22-2003, 10:05 AM
What, me drive fast?

I agree about the outside of the 350Z. Very nice looking although I don't think that it has a "classic" look and I believe that people will tire of the look pretty fast like they did with the new Celica. The interior of the one that I sat is was okay in my opinion although there were a lot of things like the cup holders that I just thought were stupid since they seemed to be put there just because "well, we had some space for them". The rear view visability was the worst I have ever seen. The plastic trim didn't bother me much. I have the "brushed steel" look in my 2003 CL-S so it didn't suprise me as being better or much worse.

The sales weasle that I dealt with was an @ss. When I told him that I wasn't shopping, just checking the car out he immediately rolled his eyes. After all, how could I NOT want a 350Z. At the end of it all I told him that the car was impractical as a daily driver but the performance was wonderful. I was much happier that I got my CL-S even though the styling of the Z is pretty nice to my eyes right now.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by mmmm

i concur:P

what i did like about the G35C was those thick doors. I don't know why il liked them but i did.

Drove a 350 Z to NY and back....neat car but i wouldn't want to own one...to clausterphobic for me and Bose system sounds like crapola. Makes ours sound like a custom system. No sunroof option.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I will never buy the Z350!!

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Ok guys, I went and spent 1hr at the Nissan dealer...
I was checking the new Z350.. In the show room there was a black track model

Here are my impression:

From Outside: Amazing... looks better than Audi TT and even a Porsche Box. S!

From Inside:

1) Interior dashboard feel... sub par, the buttons funky and kiddish...specially those for the trip computer... the dimmer on the left did not even work...The Navi Cavity door... what a joke... you have to pull it and close it... It was stuck and I was affraid to break it!
2) Funny thing there are 2 cup holder for the back seat in the rear console... wait a sec there is no back seats !
3) no glove box... but a cup holder for the passenger... what about the driver to keep him warm...
4) Visibility is BAD real BAD... you can see only a slot in the rear mirror... 50% of the mirror is blocked...side mirror are even worse..real tiny...
5) getting in and out is challanging as there is no memory seats and no-easy out feature as it's the case with Maxima... damn it I showed the sales rep (a hottie) that feature in the maxima but not in the Z350!!

No Doubt Mechanically.. the track model was astonishing...

however since there is no luxury in that model..

I checked the touring model with leather ... and had chance to drive it few meters in the parking lot... the clutch will disengage way high.... Why is so...?

I went to parts depertment to ask about the cost of parts of the nice Rays Engineering 18x8.5 wheels, Brembo Brakes, and Tires....

Hear this... A Single Rays Engineering 18x8.5 wheel is $1500 /each!!

I just run away and mumbling this is the wrong car for me... I did not even cared how much are Brambo brakes and rotors nor the tires...

damn haters

Why does it seem like people here are continually trying to convince themselves their CL is better in all respects than all the new sports cars coming out? It's getting old.

The things you mentioned you don't like about the interior are trivial for someone interested in a sports car. The clutch engages at a good point on my car, not too late, not too early. I agree with the navi door, poor design, but it is being redesigned next year. Big woopdeeshit. It doesn't bother me cus I got navi and I just leave it open all the time. As for the other stuf...geez you sound like an 80 yr old man..I don't have any trouble getting in and out of my Z, and the memory seats are only an advantage if you're sharing your car with someone else...like your wife ...Who's gonna do that? Not me. There's 4 cupholders, all easily usable by the driver. They are next to the seats because otherwise you would hit your drink with your arm. I have no trouble using them. Visibility isn't that great, but how many sports cars have great visibility? Oh, the glove box is behing the passenger seat which is easily accessible, AND there are 2 other storage compartments within easy reach where you can put your gloves.

Aftermarket rays can be bought for MUCH cheaper than what you mentioned on the internet. Dealer prices are ALWAYS rediculous for replacement stock items.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:13 AM
'Cooter

visually, the G35/Z interiors don't do anything for me

visually, the G35/Z exteriors r eye-catching

conclusion - y spend all that money for half a car???

IMO of course
Old 01-22-2003, 10:29 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter
visually, the G35/Z interiors don't do anything for me

visually, the G35/Z exteriors r eye-catching

conclusion - y spend all that money for half a car???

IMO of course
wow.

i think maybe the 2nd time this year id agree with you!

the G35 has one of the sexiest exteriors in its market segment right now. Blows away the CLS.

But the interior is complete crap. The material is crap... but most importantly.... the design is crap. It has the worst seating position and visibility of ANY car Ive sat in including the 1000's of new cars and concepts i sat in at Detroit.

I like the design of the Z's interior... but it feels like shit. The leather feels ass... the plastic feels ass...

but it pulls off the look. and the Z has something else goin for it...

The G35 however is just an absolute piece of shit IMO.

But yea looks good from the sidewalk!
Old 01-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Re: Re: I will never buy the Z350!!

Originally posted by zeroday
damn haters

Why does it seem like people here are continually trying to convince themselves their CL is better in all respects than all the new sports cars coming out? It's getting old.

The things you mentioned you don't like about the interior are trivial for someone interested in a sports car. The clutch engages at a good point on my car, not too late, not too early. I agree with the navi door, poor design, but it is being redesigned next year. Big woopdeeshit. It doesn't bother me cus I got navi and I just leave it open all the time. As for the other stuf...geez you sound like an 80 yr old man..I don't have any trouble getting in and out of my Z, and the memory seats are only an advantage if you're sharing your car with someone else...like your wife ...Who's gonna do that? Not me. There's 4 cupholders, all easily usable by the driver. They are next to the seats because otherwise you would hit your drink with your arm. I have no trouble using them. Visibility isn't that great, but how many sports cars have great visibility? Oh, the glove box is behing the passenger seat which is easily accessible, AND there are 2 other storage compartments within easy reach where you can put your gloves.

Aftermarket rays can be bought for MUCH cheaper than what you mentioned on the internet. Dealer prices are ALWAYS rediculous for replacement stock items.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Racer

Like the exterior of Z but the interior left me cold. And when I opened rear hatch and found a poor excuse for a trunk that was the final axe to the idea of trading in my CL. Interiors are very important and I love the smooth flowing contours of our dash compared even to BMW! I don't hate the Z, I just think our CL fits a broader interest base.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Yup... same impression I got while at the LA Auto Show
Old 01-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
IMHO, the 350Z is a refreshing change from the last gen ZX which was heading into bloated quasi-luxo GT land. (2+2, c'mon!)

Give Nissan a year or two to improve the interior... These past two model years have been extraordinarily ambitious for them. I think they've been close to hitting the target in each segment. (Except maybe for the new Maxima...)
Old 01-22-2003, 10:59 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by IntegraVT
IMHO, the 350Z is a refreshing change from the last gen ZX which was heading into bloated quasi-luxo GT land. (2+2, c'mon!)

Give Nissan a year or two to improve the interior... These past two model years have been extraordinarily ambitious for them. I think they've been close to hitting the target in each segment. (Except maybe for the new Maxima...)
have u seen the crash ratings from the Insurance Institute for the new Max??? poor ratings for both feet with an acceptable rating, which is actually better than the '01/'02
Old 01-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Yeah, I forgot to mention I liked the heavy doors.

I don't think this has anything to do with the CLS. I don't think that the CLS has the greatest interior in the world, but it is handsome and feels good enough. Great value.

However, the G35 is competitive in price with cars with much better interiors, such as Audi, BMW, and even Volkswagen. Note, that I left out M-B.

The fact that the interior on a G35 is greatly cheesier than a lower priced CLS makes you wonder what Infiniti is thinking. Infiniti is targetting this car at the luxury market, but if the dash looks like it was pulled out of an Altima, you have to wonder what they are thinking.

The interior is usually designed in and major modifications to interiors are rather difficult. I don't think that we can look for an improved interior soon.

The old Z was overweight, but the interior quality was superior to that of the G35. I have a twin turbo Z from 1995 in the garage in need of some TLC, and I feel that the 1995 Z was a superior car. Only problem was it was Waaaaaay over priced.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

lol..if you think 350z has shitty interior how about F50? No power windows, seats, glove box and cup holder. Will you pick CL over F50?

350Z is just all around better car than CL period!!! cheaper too.

Great cars always have great handling and braking. Guess what? CL have none.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: the navi door- When closing it, you must pull it towards you before trying to push it down. Weird design, but it works well if you know how to do it. The door also has a very silky feel to it when opening/closing.

Also, there is a glove box. But it's behind the passengers seat. Didn't you notice all the little compartments and such back there?

The Z that I drove had a clutch that engaged in about the middle of its travel- not too high, not too low. If you want to feel a high engaging clutch, just drive a new BMW 330- every one that I've ever driven has a very high engagement point. I don't know why, though......the M3 (36 & 46) were never like that.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by topdaytrader

TopGAYtrader,

When are you going to do this Forum a favor and delete your bookmark for acura-cl.com ???
Please do it sooner then later.

Shawn S
Old 01-22-2003, 11:26 AM
'Cooter

not really, cuz as usual when u choose the Touring package which is the most apples to apples comparo to the CL, CL is roughly $2K less

great cars always have what??? don't even go there...(broken record time) u CAN'T compare the Z to the CL...PERIOD!!! not b/c 1's superior to the other, but b/c they're in 2 totally different leagues
Old 01-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
TopGAYtrader,

When are you going to do this Forum a favor and delete your bookmark for acura-cl.com ???

Shawn S
There's no reason for the name calling, Shawn.

Scooter, I somewhat agree with you. The Z is not in the same category (I wont say league) as the CL.

IMO, the following cars are in the CL's category (Luxury Sports coupe):
- Cadillac ETC
- Infiniti G35 Coupe
- MB CLK320
- Toyota Solara SLE V6 (to a much lesser degree)

Outside of the Mustang GT/Mach I, I can't really think of any direct competition for the Z.

Peace.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:57 AM
What can I get ya?

The Z was meant to be priced cheaply toward the performance oriented crowds, just like the old ones. Thats what they did, made a cheap, high powered sports car. It would be hard to cram that engine and all the interior goodies into a car with a $26,000 base price.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by Shawn S
TopGAYtrader,

Shawn S
no no no, I want to buy more Super Xenon bulbs!!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by F23A4
There's no reason for the name calling, Shawn.
If you’ve read ANY of this TROLLS useless and antagonistic posts lately you’d surely agree with me.

Shawn S
Old 01-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Banned

Re: Re: I will never buy the Z350!!

Just because you OWN one now your gonna back it. Sorry but the Z is built cheaply and even the G35 is. Its a known fact on the internet.

Alot of people bitch at my350z.com because of that.

Originally posted by zeroday
damn haters

Old 01-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I may be the only one that feels like this but to me the new Z was a dissapointment with ALOT of hype. The interior was very bad and the visibility / seating position was unbelievably poor. The acceleration was good (no arguement there) but I honestly felt like i was in a car that couldn't hit a curb without exploding or crushing me to death. A few people I know have the older Z (300Z) and I have to say that I still would take the old twin turbo one over a brand new one.

Oh, btw, the memory seat arguement is ghey. If you ever valet your car, have it worked on by mechanics or have anyone else drive it, it's nice to know with one button everything is back where you want it EXACTLY where you left it.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Banned

lol..if you think 350z has shitty interior how about F50? No power windows, seats, glove box and cup holder. Will you pick CL over F50?

All around better car? hahahahaha!!!!!

The VQ and looks is the only thing that car has going for it. Its build sucks. Its quality of worksmanship sucks. I live in my car, I sit in my car, I don't sit out and look at my car, the interior is what is most important.

And also the CL is alot cheaper than the Z.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Contagious

Ok, I guess I will chime in here.

I was one of the first people to put my pre-order in for the 350z and I just got done driving the G35 coupe at a local dealer. That being said, I am GLAD the dealer screwed up my order and I didn't get the car.

Exterior wise, both cars are beautiful. Anyone who says otherwise needs to see their eye doctor. Nissan hit the nail on the head with both cars design.

Interior wise, is a completely different story. The 350z is just plain crap. Very cheap and flimsy materials. It's a shame that Nissan didn't complete the package by putting in a nicer interior. The G35 Coupe was better, but still fell way short. One thing I hated were the orange lights. I think by changing that one little thing would have made a big difference. They could have used white or red and the car would have looked a million times better inside. But the G35 coupe also has some pretty cheap looking parts inside, but no where near as bad as the Z.

But, if you drive the cars, you may look way past all that stuff. Both handle like they are on rails. The G35 could use a little more power, IMO, but still it had plenty for everyday driving. The auto-stick is 10x's better than my CL-S, an almost imperceptible delay when changing gears. And it handled the wonderful roads here in Pennsylvania nicely. The 350z is a beast, and definately worth the money, I just wouldn't plunck down the cash for the track model. Most people would be fine with the base, enthusiast, or touring models.

I would and currently am considering buying the G35, but I'm glad I took a pass on the 350z.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorta funny story...

When I was opening the door of the blue Z at the Detriot Auto show, my fingers slipped off that crappy and ugly door handle. It then clamped down on the soft skin on my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. The damn thing clamped down so quick and hard I started to bleed. To top it off, I guess my hand messed up the handle somehow, so my friend had to pry it open to get my hand out.

FUKING UGLY ASS GHETTO SILVER DOOR HANDLES!!
Old 01-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

Too bad CL is FWD. That makes it suck even more.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you for your meaningful insight
Old 01-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by topGAYtrader
Like I said….. This guy is a WORTHLESS member with these kinds of “contributions” to this site all the time.

Shawn S
Old 01-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBullet
.... I live in my car, I sit in my car, I don't sit out and look at my car, the interior is what is most important.....

That's an interesting point of view. But to me, the exterior is what is most important. If a car looks like ass on the outside, but has a beautiful interior, I'm just not interested.

Would you live in a house that looked like shit from the road, but had a beautifully finished interior? I wouldn't.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Would you live in a house that looked like shit from the road, but had a beautifully finished interior? I wouldn't.
I wouldn't want to live in a house that looked like a wreck from the outside, but if it was classy, maybe a little plain (CL) yet was very nice and comfortable inside (CL) where I spend most of my time, I'd rather have a house like that. I the only person I really am trying to impress is myself.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Banned

ok, so this thread went to hell fast! YOU ALL SUCK 4 writting this crap, and making me waste my time!:thumbsdn:
Old 01-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Banned

You think CL's interior is good??? Its almost indentical as last gen Accord EX. No way CL can even be same category as Infiniti, MB and BMW. That's a joke.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:03 PM
foolio at heart

You think CL's interior is good??? Its almost indentical as last gen Accord EX. No way CL can even be same category as Infiniti, MB and BMW. That's a joke.
I like all your stupid ass posts, they make me laugh. I even did a search for all your posts. All of them cracked me up. Keep up the good work!!

You're a great ass clown.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:06 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Tom2
That's an interesting point of view. But to me, the exterior is what is most important. If a car looks like ass on the outside, but has a beautiful interior, I'm just not interested.

well would u live in a house that was beautiful on the outside but was anything but on the inside???? i know i wouldn't
Old 01-22-2003, 01:10 PM
I love my CL-S

i was going to order some hid bulbs from him..but after reading all these lame posts....you are either dumb or just a stupid businessman who scared all his customers away
Old 01-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove infinity and I'll agree with you. Honda/Acura doesn't even make cars that come close to BMW or MB. (if the legend was back on the market they would come close in one class)

I believe Infinity and Acura are on the same level.

But I also believe we are way off topic here. Of course the topic is I would never buy a 350z.

And to answer to the person who started this thread. is...

Cool, should we really give a damb what you want and don't want to buy? It's an enthusiasts 2 seater sports car. Comparing it to a CLS is just ludicrous.

And the people who own high end Mercedes probably laugh at the fit and finish of our cars (Acura in general). And they can rightfully do so, since they can afford a higher level of luxury. A lot of us are conservative, but if your going to spend $$ on a car your going to loose money either way. And you'll loose about the same ammount from Mb to BMW to Acura. So if you have the extra $$, get the nicer vehicle. You only live once, can't take the $$ to the grave with ya.

- - - -

Ya the 350z interior is nothing to brag about. It's a sports car. Ever been in a viper? The main focus of that car is performance. Not luxury. I bet that's where they saved $$, to keep the car in the price range they wanted.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:19 PM
'Cooter

uhhhh yeah i think the CL's interior is good...good for me at least...look man, we all have our tastes & preferences, and yer certainly entitled to yer opinion...i happen to like a subtle, dare i say BORING, interior on my CL any day of the week and twice on Sunday's b/c i'm more conservative by nature...the layout is simple and very effective...controls aren't hard to reach...effect is a comfortable environment

am i saying the CL interior is superior to the Z's?? no, it's a different concept alltogether which goes right back to my original argument of being in a totally different league, and altho yer convinced the CL ain't worth sh!t, to this day it STILL represents a great value for the price u pay...since u've owned/leased the '01 CL, i'm sure u'll agree with me on at least that

Quick Reply: I will never buy the Z350!!