I think my Tranny is acting up? Long

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my Tranny is acting up? Long

Hello everyone.

I know that I should probbaly be posting this in the transmition section, but since most of you view the "car talk" section. I wanted to get you opinion.

My car is a 01 has 24,000 miles and I think my tranny is going out. About two weeks ago I was friving and started to accelerate as I hit about 4000RPM in second gear I heard quick grind from the engine bay. I though that it was ackward, check everything out once I got home but could not duplicate the sound again.
The car has a whining sound when I accelerate now, I don't know if it has to due with the transmission or another related problem.

The transmission now shifts hard, not as smooth as when before. It is not shifting smoothly, and when it decides to shift, it shifts hard. It feels sometimes like it lunges you forward (this is in D5 mode)

Last night I accelerated after paying the toll plaza on the bridge and as soon as it was suppose to shift from 2nd to 3rd (In D5) it slipped and felt like it was in neutral and didn't allow me to accelerate any more. All of the Sudden it kicked back to third. Luckily I didn't have anyone in back of me because It just totaly lost power until the transmission decided to kick it into third. Kind of scary in a place where everyone is acceleration pretty fast out of a toll Plaza on the bridge.

I have an appointment tomorrow for other minor things. I was not taking it in for the transmission at first but considering what happened last night I am going to have them check the transmission.

Do you guys think that this is the biggining of a transmission problem?
Old 01-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

tranny is dead, make an appointment to get a replacement, get in line...welcome to the club of failed trannies
Old 01-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: I think my Tranny is acting up? Long

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marioman
[B]Hello everyone.

I know that I should probbaly be posting this in the transmition section, but since most of you view the "car talk" section. I wanted to get you opinion.

My car is a 01 has 24,000 miles and I think my tranny is going out. About two weeks ago I was friving and started to accelerate as I hit about 4000RPM in second gear I heard quick grind from the engine bay. I though that it was ackward, check everything out once I got home but could not duplicate the sound again.
The car has a whining sound when I accelerate now, I don't know if it has to due with the transmission or another related problem.

The transmission now shifts hard, not as smooth as when before. It is not shifting smoothly, and when it decides to shift, it shifts hard. It feels sometimes like it lunges you forward (this is in D5 mode)

time to visit the dealer

call ahead and make sure they give you a decent loaner car

g/l

i've done 2 replacements
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Banned

those are TELL-TALE obvious signs of the beginning of the end of that tranny
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I believe you have the "classic" symptoms of a dying transmission. Hope you AVOID Acura of Concord.............they are idiots !
Keep us posted !
Old 01-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Racer

Thanks for your comments, Do you know if that Whiney noise I hear when I accelerate is from the transmission, or related to something else?
Old 01-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Racer

It's Official... Tranny #1 is having problems

Update:

Thanks for all your comments, I took my car in this morning at Acura of Pleasanton for those Bay Area people. They called me and said my original Tranny is going bye, bye. They are ordering me a new tranny, and should arrive in about a week. Of Course all of this being covered under Warranty. They gave me a loaner it is a TL.

So I would like to officially welcome my self to the Tranny Club
I will soon be rolling in my second tranny.

By the way, They confirmed that the tranny was slipping between 2nd and 3rd Gear.