i respect law enforcers but this quota bullsh*t has to stop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i respect law enforcers but this quota bull shit has to stop!

Ok it was a nice morning and i had pretty good sleep. got up on time and got ready for work. My commute is about 25 miles one way and i never speed excessively. The posted limit is 60 mph. No chirp from the passport 8500 no sound around me except for the radio. Sometimes i have a little fun and speed on the highway (usually 80-90 mph) just a burst or two for a few seconds, i do this to get my adrenaline up but i always make sure theres light traffic. Well today it was a dull commute to work i barely switched lanes and i stayed at a constant speed. This stretch of the highway started to straighten out and i have no idea how my gas foot turn into lead??? well you probably guessed it i was pulled over for speeding.

Ive been pissed off all day long! I would rather get pulled over when i intend to drive fast and a little hazardous. but when im going to work this asshole decides to pick on me! No radar guns No laser guns just the good ol pace method! 72 in a 60! i believe most people on the highway were going at least 65 and before i was going above 70 a few miles back there were people going at least 80!

i always hear stories about people saying " cops have better things to do" and you know what i think it is true! right after he gave me that fuckin citation he pulled someone else over IMMEDIATELY! now what the fuck is up with that?!?!?!? people work for money and the government takes some of that hard working money to fund this type of bullshit???

ok one more thing

the cop wrote my date of birth wrong on the citation. so does that mean i can get my ticket dismissed???

sidemarker
Old 11-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: i respect law enforcers but this quota bull shit has to stop!

Originally posted by sidemarker

ok one more thing

the cop wrote my date of birth wrong on the citation. so does that mean i can get my ticket dismissed???

sidemarker
I got a ticket and my address and last name were spelt wrong. Went to court and the judge said it would all be corrected during the hearing. Stupid mistakes can't help you I’m afraid.

Sorta scary that cops have the power to determine who is speeding and driving unsafe, but they don't have the intelligence to copy a little information off a driver’s license correctly.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Comrade Stalin

Re: i respect law enforcers but this quota bull shit has to stop!

Ok it was a nice morning and i had pretty good sleep. got up on time and got ready for work. My commute is about 25 miles one way and i never speed excessively. The posted limit is 60 mph. No chirp from the passport 8500 no sound around me except for the radio. Sometimes i have a little fun and speed on the highway (usually 80-90 mph) just a burst or two for a few seconds, i do this to get my adrenaline up but i always make sure theres light traffic. Well today it was a dull commute to work i barely switched lanes and i stayed at a constant speed. This stretch of the highway started to straighten out and i have no idea how my gas foot turn into lead??? well you probably guessed it i was pulled over for speeding.

Ive been pissed off all day long! I would rather get pulled over when i intend to drive fast and a little hazardous. but when im going to work this asshole decides to pick on me! No radar guns No laser guns just the good ol pace method! 72 in a 60! i believe most people on the highway were going at least 65 and before i was going above 70 a few miles back there were people going at least 80!

i always hear stories about people saying " cops have better things to do" and you know what i think it is true! right after he gave me that fuckin citation he pulled someone else over IMMEDIATELY! now what the fuck is up with that?!?!?!? people work for money and the government takes some of that hard working money to fund this type of bullshit???

ok one more thing

sidemarker
Is pacing grounds for a speeding ticket everywhere in the world but Iowa? I know for a fact here that if the cop doesn't get a radar on you then he cannot say you were speeding (unless you were going so fast it would also include a wreckless driving ticket). Pacing = complete bs on the cops part. The cop was bored and can't figure out how to aim his radar gun...kinda worries me, hope he doesn't get in a shootout with his REAL gun.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Were you doing that speed that he posted? I mean... If you were doing bursts up to 90mph, you were speeding. Cops don't need to use radar to give you a ticket unfortunately.

It sucks he singled you out of all the others that were driving at that pace. Unfortunately, that's not a good defense.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
Were you doing that speed that he posted? I mean... If you were doing bursts up to 90mph, you were speeding. Cops don't need to use radar to give you a ticket unfortunately.

It sucks he singled you out of all the others that were driving at that pace. Unfortunately, that's not a good defense.
you misunderstood my post

I DID NO BURST OF 80 or 90 today THATS WHAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!

i drove in a safe and prudent manner...

sidemarker
Old 11-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: i respect law enforcers but this quota bull shit has to stop!

Originally posted by 97Cl22
Is pacing grounds for a speeding ticket everywhere in the world but Iowa?

No. Pacing is grounds for a speeding ticket in all states including your precious Iowa.

I know for a fact here that if the cop doesn't get a radar on you then he cannot say you were speeding (unless you were going so fast it would also include a wreckless driving ticket).

We heard you the first time you made this claim. If it is a fact, perhaps you can point us to the statue in the State law where this has been outlawed.

Pacing = complete bs on the cops part. The cop was bored and can't figure out how to aim his radar gun...kinda worries me, hope he doesn't get in a shootout with his REAL gun.

So do you think this is just bs or do you really believe the cop would be writing a pacing ticket unlawfully?

Speeding is only a traffic violation and a misdemeanor. It doesn't require a federal amendment to write a speeding ticket. If you drive fast, expect to get a ticket...regardless of how the conclusion was arrived at. Here, I'll help you out with your own state's laws (read the section on VASCAR). After reading this, just think of how you'll be smarter than the cop the next time he pulls you over...how you'll be smart by NOT telling him he is violating the law because he didn't get you on radar.
http://www.state.ia.us/government/dp...spmiscinfo.htm.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Race Director

you misunderstood my post

I DID NO BURST OF 80 or 90 today THATS WHAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!

i drove in a safe and prudent manner...

sidemarker
SAPD, DPS, Bexar Cty, Selma?....c'mon man you know there are more bears in that part of the woods than in Alaska. Don't mess with LEO in Texas, you know that.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele
SAPD, DPS, Bexar Cty, Selma?....c'mon man you know there are more bears in that part of the woods than in Alaska. Don't mess with LEO in Texas, you know that.

it was SAPD. just getting out some frustration ken!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:48 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hopefully he'll get shot...
Old 11-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Banned

I see what u're sayin, and of course u're pissed, but bottom line is..........if u woulda been goin 60, u wouldnt have any problems.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:51 PM
///M POWER

Originally posted by civic4982
hopefully he'll get shot...
lol
Old 11-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Katana18
I see what u're sayin, and of course u're pissed, but bottom line is..........if u woulda been goin 60, u wouldnt have any problems.
you see this is the problem. Im pretty sure there are millions of drivers that break the law every day. if you go even 1 mph over the speed limit you are breaking the law. Im not upset because i got the ticket. BOTTOM LINE I BROKE THE LAW! but if law enforcers are going to pick and choose who they are going to give tickets then its fuckin ridiculous.

this is my point. So what if im going 72 mph in a 60 pull me over thats fine. Then pull everyone over going over 60 mph! Chances are while he was citiing me for this traffic violation there was a car passing us traveling over 90 mph! Today was not about "protecting and serving" the community. Like I said as soon as we both got on the highway he pulled someone else over

my situation

light traffic (no cars around)
driving 12 mph over the speed limit in a safe and prudent manner
driving in the far left lane (fast lane)
highway was straight
now does this mean i deserve a ticket?

This quota shit is stupid. Why cant they just do their job and stop wasting time on petty violations!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:13 PM
Fear the Bear!

but if law enforcers are going to pick and choose who they are going to give tickets then its fuckin ridiculous.

this is my point. So what if im going 72 mph in a 60 pull me over thats fine. Then pull everyone over going over 60 mph!
When you go fishing you don't try to catch every fish in the sea. :P
Old 11-18-2003, 11:27 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

I hate cops as much as the next guy... they've never done me any favors.

BUT I don't see why you're upset about getting a ticket when you admit to speeding (AKA breaking the law)? Sure it wasn't a lot over but still. Also, I'm sure there were others going the same pace but you just were unlucky and happened to be the car that caught his eye.

I like the way deathlok puts it...

When you go fishing you don't try to catch every fish in the sea.
It's just shitty luck and not really like you're being profiled or anything. Happens to everyone man. And the quotas are apart of any job. He's just doing his job. As for deserving the ticket, didn't you already say you deserved it? I mean if you're speeding then you deserve a ticket right?

When I speed I go in the far right lane if there are no other cars around. Left lane is for passing only. In my experience speeding in the fast lane with no other cars around is just being flamboyant. I always get a feeling cops notice me less if I'm in the slow lane and maybe just going a little bit faster than the speed limit.

If you believe in that "Protect and Serve" line then you're more naive than I expected. A city is a business like any other. It's all just a game circling around money. Car dealerships have to make rent just like a city has a budget to pay for. And that State Trooper is doing his job.

Oh yeah, I still wouldn't be phased if one got shot though. Fuck them... They should have those reality TV shows like RealTV with video of traffic cops getting capped instead of cops always winning.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:43 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Homeboy, the Key rule in Texas is no double digit speeding!

As long as you abide by that you are good to go. My only way to avoid is to hit the cruise control and be done with it!

Ken,

You make me feel REAL bad, because I have gotten a ticket from everyone have listed at least once...
Old 11-19-2003, 03:52 AM
Burning Brakes

my situation

light traffic (no cars around)
driving 12 mph over the speed limit in a safe and prudent manner
driving in the far left lane (fast lane)
highway was straight
now does this mean i deserve a ticket?

This quota shit is stupid. Why cant they just do their job and stop wasting time on petty violations!
Not to be pissy but, why were you in the left lane? Besides not being polite to others on the road who may want to overtake, the left lane is where the cops look.

Always stay to the right as much as you can and just get in the left lane long enough to pass someone when necessary. Even with RADAR, if two cars are going the same speed, 99 times out of 100 the one in the left lane will be the one pulled over. (LASER is very car specific and doesn't apply here.) You'll be amazed that you become semi invisible when you drive on the right.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:17 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Dude, in Connecticut, writing tickets is a $20 MILLION dollar a year business for the state :shakehd:. No, there's not much better for them to do than write tickets. So I'd imagine most states feel this way. Check your six, then floor it
Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 AM
Masshole

Fight the ticket, tell the judge you had a spastic colon that morning
Old 11-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by civic4982
I hate cops as much as the next guy... they've never done me any favors.

BUT I don't see why you're upset about getting a ticket when you admit to speeding (AKA breaking the law)? Sure it wasn't a lot over but still. Also, I'm sure there were others going the same pace but you just were unlucky and happened to be the car that caught his eye.

It's just shitty luck and not really like you're being profiled or anything. Happens to everyone man. And the quotas are apart of any job. He's just doing his job. As for deserving the ticket, didn't you already say you deserved it? I mean if you're speeding then you deserve a ticket right?

It definitely sucks that you got singled out.... but the bottom line is that you were doing 12mph over the posted limit. Had you been going slower he would have probably singled someone else out. And like Civic said... quotas are a part of the job.... just like I'm in sales and my department has a quota... so he was just doing his job.

Your best bet is to plead not guilty and see if you can talk to the cop and have the fine and/or points reduced.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Race Director

Hehe, so when you see somebody ELSE pulled over, do you pull over too and ask the cop for a ticket because everyone was speeding at one time or another? Why make the cop pull everyone over, why not just everyone line up and take their ticket now?

I know, when it happens to YOU, it's pretty lousy and you see others go by having a GOOD day. Think of how many times you drive by a traffic stop and it doesn't even phase you, you don't even bother to understand that somebody else is getting hosed.

I've had at least a dozen tickets out of two dozen traffic stops in my life. Every time, it's a painful experience.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Starter
Not to be pissy but, why were you in the left lane? Besides not being polite to others on the road who may want to overtake, the left lane is where the cops look.

Always stay to the right as much as you can and just get in the left lane long enough to pass someone when necessary. Even with RADAR, if two cars are going the same speed, 99 times out of 100 the one in the left lane will be the one pulled over. (LASER is very car specific and doesn't apply here.) You'll be amazed that you become semi invisible when you drive on the right.
Isnt the rule of thumb, faster traffic keep left and slower traffic keep right???

i dont see how its possible to "speed" in the right lane when every time you meet up with the entrance ramp you have to slow down?

sidemarker
Old 11-21-2003, 04:53 AM
Burning Brakes

i dont see how its possible to "speed" in the right lane when every time you meet up with the entrance ramp you have to slow down?
?? Why?
Old 11-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Starter
?? Why?
if slower traffic is moving in the right lane how can you speed? everyone will be in your way!

the left lane is used for passing ONLY. In order to pass someone you have to SPEED UP!

sidemarker
Old 11-21-2003, 07:18 AM
Where's your 6th gear?

Re: Re: i respect law enforcers but this quota bull shit has to stop!

Originally posted by mrsteve
I got a ticket and my address and last name were spelt wrong. Went to court and the judge said it would all be corrected during the hearing. Stupid mistakes can't help you I’m afraid.
If they make a lot of mistakes you could infer that it's a pattern of inaccuracy.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:58 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Isnt the rule of thumb, faster traffic keep left and slower traffic keep right???

you speed in the right lane and then change over when passing then change back. it's just being a little more covert about your speeding so that cops don't pay as much attention to you. They'll generally notice someone in the left lane b/c the people there are usually going faster.